PDA

View Full Version : Other FA QB possibilities

KYPack
03-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Gus Frerotte is scheduled for a visit. Quinn Gray in for a visit last week, and has talked to the Raiders, previously. Here are several QB’s the Pack may look at:
UFA’s
Tim Rattay has history with M3
Kelly Holcomb,
Byron Leftwich,
Daunte Culpepper
Trent Dilfer.

RFA’s
Jared Lorenzen of the New York Giants
Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Lorenzen was undrafted, so he requires no compensation.
Fitzpatrick was a seventh-round pick, so if another team signs him, they owe Cincy a 7th pick.

MadtownPacker
03-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Nothing but trash. Just get a 6th rounder to fill in the spot.

The Leaper
03-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Leftwich is the only guy on the list worth a damn IMO, but I doubt he is looking for a backup gig with no realistic chance of competing for the starting spot.

Guiness
03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know that QB's would consider GB a place with 'no opportunity to start' as they would've other years.

Rogers is unproven with no starts under his belt. They know that he's going to be given a chance, but they know as well as anyone the success ratio of new QB's in the NFL and think that there's a good chance the number 2 guy is going to be given a shot.

Chubbyhubby
03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Leftwich is the only guy on the list worth a damn IMO, but I doubt he is looking for a backup gig with no realistic chance of competing for the starting spot.

ARod is Injury Prone and is likely to miss some games next season. So it is very important we gat a Back up QB that can step in and win the game for us. Not really sure why they don't get more free agents this year. I still think like the most of you that the Packers will address the QB in the draft either 6th or 7th round. Although I feel that they should address the QB alot earlier. Unlike Favre who was an ironman at QB. We should get a QB that could be a starter. If ARod goes down. IMO.

The Leaper
03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't know that QB's would consider GB a place with 'no opportunity to start' as they would've other years.

There is no open competition for the starting spot in the view of the Packers. Rodgers knows the system and has progressed steadily during 3 years on the pine. He's going to be given every chance to succeed as a starter by M3...and rightfully so. That is my point.

Is there a very remote chance that Leftwich could outperform Rodgers enough to become the starter? I suppose. However, he's not going to be given a fair chance to compete for the starting spot in GB...which is why I say he probably would not consider us at this time.

Partial
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Leftwich is tough as nails but he doesn't fit our system at all. His wind-up is too big.

Hefty Lefty would be at least comical. That's something. He got a face close-up on Packersnews the other day. Horse-faced son of a gun.

I say draft somebody. I like Erik Ainge out of Tenn in the 5th.

Guiness
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
You're right that anyone coming in will not be given a fair chance to compete for the job in TC, etc. But they also know about Rodgers injury history, and his lack of experience.

I'm not a Rodgers lover or hater. I'm taking the wait and see attitude. I think he's been properly groomed, and has a good a chance as any new starting QB in the NFL. It's just that success rates of new QB's aren't good.

Just sayin' that a guy like Leftwich who has probably has no real chance of starting the season under center would view GB as as good a chance as any.

MadtownPacker
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
After a 13-3 season Rodgers' leash isnt going to be too long. Expectations from M3 will be a lot higher now that he has had 3 year to sit and soak it all up. He would have been better off getting the starting gig after the 2005 4-12 season.

Even if he really sucks maybe he wont get pulled but if he goes down because of injury and some nobody steps up then who is ARod to hold the team back from being successful?

IMO this year is his BIG chance. He blows or doesnt stay healthy for at least 10 games the 2009 draft will have QB high on the Packers mock drafts.

twoseven
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Frerotte can actually still throw the ball around. Pull him in and then draft a guy to battle it out with him for #2.

BlueBrewer
03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I never thought I would say this but I think I want Trent Dilfer. :shock:

run pMc
03-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Frerotte can actually still throw the ball around. Pull him in and then draft a guy to battle it out with him for #2.

Might happen. What about Rattay? I remember T.O. endorsing him when he was in SF. :oops: If Chris Simms is available, I'm not sure I'd want him. ..good intangibles, but iffy QB. Leftwich has a bad injury history and a slow delivery. He's not a prototypical WCO QB. If Pennington is available I'd take him over any of those guys.
I do agree TT should bring a vet and draft a guy to develop. My guess is he waits until after the draft when some of the vets get released and he picks one up that has some familiarity with the WCO.
Hopefully the OL can keep AR's jersey clean and he doesn't hurt himself in practice.

Pack-man
03-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Ferrotte for one year would probably be an OK option. At this point of his career he is nothing but a back-up, and he knows it! Some of the other options still believe they have a chance to be a starter. The Packers are not looking for a starter, the job is ARods. I do believe they will draft a QB in the later rounds. Maybe a guy like Booty or Henne!

BallHawk
03-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the forum, Pack-man. Good to have you here.

I'd agree with you that Ferrotte would be serviceable as a backup.

3irty1
03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Drafting somebody looks like the answer. Someone with our prodigal 4th round comp pick maybe?

I'm secretly hoping for Colt Brennon :) I love watching him play and this way I'll get to see it in spring training. Plus we'd win the entire state of Hawaii as Packer fans. He's a god to them.