PDA

View Full Version : Criteria for Packer People?

outflow
05-28-2006, 06:00 PM
In light of the Cory Rodgers incident, I'm starting this thread in hopes of constructing a list we can look back on.

---A player who doesn't carry and fire, firearms.

In all honesty though, after all this hub a lub about Packer People, does he even have a chance?

Rastak
05-28-2006, 06:04 PM
In light of the Cory Rodgers incident, I'm starting this thread in hopes of constructing a list we can look back on.

In all honesty though, after all this hub a lub about Packer People, does he even have a chance?

Yea, if he has talent he's got a chance. Just about every team in the league will sweep some stuff under the rug if a guy can play. Plus, it's not like he killed somebody. If it's true you wonder about his brains but all the facts aren't in yet.

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 06:20 PM
He's definitly going to have to earn his spot now. This was just a bad idea. He made a huge mistake. He might have had a roster spot just on potential, but now he's going to have to win it strait up.

outflow
05-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Yea, if he has talent he's got a chance. Just about every team in the league will sweep some stuff under the rug if a guy can play. Plus, it's not like he killed somebody. If it's true you wonder about his brains but all the facts aren't in yet.

And I agree with you that talent will give him a shot. But.......Why include the topic of Packer People in every post draft interview, if it really isn't all what's important. So for me this will be interesting to watch.

Oh btw.... I meant a player who doesn't carry and fire firearms to threaten people.

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 06:37 PM
I agree outflow. This was just stupid on his part. I think TT and MM are going to think long and hard about keeping him on the roster.

Jimx29
05-28-2006, 06:41 PM
errmmm.....The ravens have a murderer on their roster..... :neutral:

MJZiggy
05-28-2006, 06:53 PM
They're not Packer People. :mrgreen:

Homer Jay
05-28-2006, 06:54 PM
The important thing is NOT to wait until the entire story is known. Way to go gang.

I agree carrying a gun isn't too bright, but I'll wait a while before I judge him.

potsdam_11
05-28-2006, 07:06 PM
In as much as, the Packer's and any other NFL team attempt to bring in "Quality Players" while steering clear of potential problems, the reality of the modern NFL team is to base a player's overall "Quality" upon his "potential" return on investment..

There is just too much money involved in today's game, to blow off a potential talent because of an indiscretion... Micheal Irvin, T.O. and Keshawn, are prime examples of how the NFL looks the other way... as needed. Green Bay is part of the NFL, and they too will tolerate quite a bit if there is a remote chance the ROI is good. Is the Rodger's incident any worse than the Daven-poop's, Ahman's mistakes, Brett's addictions, T. Williams shoot out............ etc. etc. etc....

No...

Don't fool yourself, this is a harsh business... If the good guys make the team, it's a bonus... If not, you hope for the best.. If Rodger's has pro talent, he's on the team, period.....

While it might sound all warm and fuzzy to think the Packer's are above keeping a questionable character... This table was set decades ago......McGee and Hornung religiously broke the rules.... and Lombardi looked the other way.. almost every time....

Homer Jay
05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Am I the only one who remembers Tyrone Williams facing gun charges in 1996? He had a pretty good career in Green Bay after making a mistake as a young player. The Packers knew about his gun charges before they drafted him. Does that mean Wolf and Holmgren didn't know Packer people?

Rastak
05-28-2006, 07:13 PM
errmmm.....The ravens have a murderer on their roster..... :neutral:

I actually watched that trial on court tv. He didn't kill anybody, his asshole homies did and he covered it up. THAT was the issue...someone was killed and this prick LIED in court.

motife
05-28-2006, 07:37 PM
my criteria :

black, talented, 4.3 speed, minimum of 30 - 225 lb. bench presses, can do a 500 lb. squat, under 26 years old, went to either Florida St., Miami, USC, Texas or Ohio St., workout warriors.

motife
05-28-2006, 07:44 PM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/history/images/w_Ruth_web.jpg

Part of "Murderer's Row".
Lou Gehrig (.373, 47 homers), Babe Ruth (.372, 60 homers), Bob Meusel (.337, 103 rbis, 24 stolen bases), Tony Lazerri (.309, 18 homers, 22 stolen bases), Earle Combs (.356, .414 on base %age).

esoxx
05-28-2006, 07:44 PM
The NFL isn't an acronym for National Felons League for nothing. If the guy shows he has skills in camp they'll keep him, as they probably should.

motife
05-28-2006, 07:50 PM
http://blog.yam.com/lajuwind/8f4cdd90.jpg

Larry Bird and Kevin Mchale. Part of "South Africa's team" winning 3 NBA championships.

motife
05-28-2006, 07:55 PM
http://www.goldenstateautographs.com/photographs/images/F/fearsomefoursome.jpg

Fearsome Foursome

Lamar Lundy, Roosevelt Grier, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones

GBRulz
05-28-2006, 07:56 PM
the stage is set for this type of behavior well before players even reach the pro level.

HS players "normally" need a C average to play sports. However, a kid that is the star of the basketball team might have an F and there will always be some coach that sneaks past all that.....

In college, you know rules are broken much more than we hear about when it comes to agents enticing players with money, gifts, etc. that they aren't supposed to do. A player can finish college barely knowing how to read,but who cares....he has a great 40 time.

I wish someone would step up and do the right thing, but it was perfectly said in a reply above....there is too much money involved in the NFL to let something like this matter.

motife
05-28-2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.steelergridiron.com/photogallery/images/steel_curtain_jpg.jpg

The Steel Curtain

DE L.C. Greenwood, DT Mean Joe Greene, DT Ernie Holmes, DE Dwight White, MLB Jack Lambert, OLB Andy Russell, OLB Jack Ham, CB Mel Blount

Here's the scores of their final 9 games in 1976 in which they allowed 1 (one) touchdown :
Cincinnati Bengals 23- 6
@ New York Giants 27- 0
San Diego Chargers 23- 0
@Kansas City Chiefs 45- 0
Miami Dolphins 14- 3
Houston Oilers 32-16
@Cincinnati Bengals 7- 3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 42- 0
@ Houston Oilers 21- 0

Rastak
05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
http://www.steelergridiron.com/photogallery/images/steel_curtain_jpg.jpg

The Steel Curtain

DE L.C. Greenwood, DT Mean Joe Greene, DT Ernie Holmes, DE Dwight White, MLB Jack Lambert, OLB Andy Russell, OLB Jack Ham, CB Mel Blount

Here's the scores of their final 9 games in 1976 :
Cincinnati Bengals 23- 6
@ New York Giants 27- 0
San Diego Chargers 23- 0
@Kansas City Chiefs 45- 0
Miami Dolphins 14- 3
Houston Oilers 32-16
@Cincinnati Bengals 7- 3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 42- 0
@ Houston Oilers 21- 0
[/img]

Joe Greene was the MAN.

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't judge people. Personally, I could care less what he does with his time.

The problem I have with C. Rodgers carrying and discharging a firearm in public is that it presents a glaring character risk and reason as a fan to think he may not have his head completely in football.

Many have done these types of things and had fine careers. For every talented bad boy who had success, there is a talented bad boy who famed out with arrests and troubles.

Personally, I don't give a shit what he does. As a fan, I already question his priorities. There is no reason to illegally carry a gun in public. If you're a football player and you have that much to lose, you just stay home before you go somewhere you feel you need a gun for protection.

Whatever the case, he won't last long if he does this again because he would likely be in jail. As a fan or a GM, you'd be stupid not to realize this is a risk. It has to be considered. You don't cut him if he's the best option hands down, but if it's close and one guy is coming off a gun charge at a texas night club, I think you side with the high character guy.

This does make a difference. Not huge, but it shows, he could end up in jail real soon if he does this again. What's to say he won't?

MadtownPacker
05-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I dont care what he was doing since he wasnt shooting at innocent bystanders or holding up a store. But why did he have a hot gun? What if someone got smoked with it? He is far from done with this and better hope the gun was clean.

Harlan Huckleby
05-28-2006, 11:00 PM
And I agree with you that talent will give him a shot.

I agree. If a player is good enough, a little gun play in taverns ought to be overlooked.

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 11:05 PM
I agree. If a player is good enough, a little gun play in taverns ought to be overlooked.

I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic.....When you put it that way, it sounds so much worse. People will crucify Bonds for using 'roids which hurt no-one and then they'll defend a guy who carries loaded weapons to a bar so he can drink and then presumably defend himself. Talk about hypocracy.

Harlan Huckleby
05-28-2006, 11:07 PM
I was just making a pun on the word "shot".

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 11:55 PM
just kidding :)

MadtownPacker
05-29-2006, 02:19 AM
I can tell you right now Harlan aint Packer people.

outflow
05-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Ok I am back. Man this thread took off.

I want to say right now I don't think he should be cut or anything. And he may not even be guilty. In fact it is my belief that decisions should be made on a risk/reward basis. Things get overlooked with trouble and I understand that. I'm no prude in my beliefs.

This thread was made to poke fun at the MM hiring and post draft interviews. When Mike was hired we heard countless times about Packer People this and Packer People that. Ok fine. Well then after the draft all the interviews with Packer Admins/Coaches had Packer People this Packer People that.

Its almost as if there is a sheet of paper with bulleted highlights saying when you are asked this provide filler comments to get off topic i.e. We like and want Packer People on this team. Just my thoughts.

I also think there is something to getting players that are hardworking-football types that are smart (in the football sense).

But I'm waiting for a question and response like this in the Week 3 press-conference.

reporter----Mike, was the result of today's game an oversight on the passing threat, or was it more of breakdown on execution?

MM----Nah we had our players in the right position all day. You have to give the other team credit they game out today to win and executed. With all of the Packer People we have acquired... we are going to have a chance each and every Sunday.

I can't wait for it, because it will be there....write it down!

Patler
05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I think "Packer People" means only one thing. Players who want to be in Green Bay, or at least those who don't strongly desire not to be there. It merely means getting rid of the malcontents.

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I think "Packer people" are just hard nosed football players. Guys who have a knack for the game and just seem to make plays. Not the guy with the fastest 40 but the guy who's fastest to the ball. Things like that. Thompson pretty much said it a few times. Just a country football player. A guy who makes plays.

Donell Washington = Not a Pakcer person
Johnny Jolly = Probably a Packer person

Just hard workers who have a knack for the ins and outs. Leverage, ball skills, body control ect...Things like that. Not just strait speed, but the little things that players have that allow them to make plays.

According to everything I've heard, I think Rodgers has those qualities. He loves to play football. He might be a dip shit off the field, but he loves the game on the field. He's not out the door yet, but this is a check mark IMHO.

Harlan Huckleby
05-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I think "Packer people" are just hard nosed football players.

Then Grady Jackson and Mike McKenzie were Packer People.

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Add.....Comes to camp and plays to that list.

Grady is just a wrong step away from being out of the league. He doesn't count because he's just about physically unable to play football.

Mac was definitly a Packer Person...He didn't like MS though. He wanted out.

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 05:31 PM
I have a feeling that Packer people are going to be liked by the new coach.

Guys like Ferg, Roman, Luchey, Chatman and Donell Washinton will probably like GB a lot less and guys like Mac and Driver will become a little more fond of it here.

Row 67
05-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, one good thing about this incident is that it happened BEFORE they signed the kid to the contract. The team now has some negotiating leverage. As a result, the kid probably won't get as large of a signing bonus, and I'll bet the team will insist on some protective behavioral language in the contract it otherwise might not have gotten.

I don't think carrying a gun is necessarily a crime. Until all the facts come out in the case, whose to say he even committed a crime. Remember, it wasn't long ago that it was said Al Harris was in deep trouble for sexual assault. That case got dropped because the accuser's story was somewhat dubious.

Packer history is littered with numerous incidents. Tyrone Williams is just one. Ahman Green's personal life is a mess- how many times has he been involved in a domestic dispute? He still is "Packer People". I think from an organizational standpoint, Packer People means what they bring to the locker room in terms of football intensity. If they show up for practice and on game day and are team players that contribute, as long as they stay out of jail, they will be considered "Packer People" or, family at 1265.

BTW, I watched the whole Ray Lewis trial on Court TV when it aired. He deserves to be a free man.

Row 67
05-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Sports Issues

By Roy Pickering

At around 4 a.m. on January 31st outside of an Atlanta nightclub where a post Super Bowl party was winding down, an all too familiar scene unfolded. An argument broke out between two groups. The altercation escalated from verbal to physical when one man struck another over the head with a champagne bottle. The actions to take place in the following chaotic moments were fast and furious, and it seems no two eyewitnesses saw the same thing. What is conclusive about the outcome is that as a limousine sped away and gunshots were fired at it, the bodies of two men remained eternally still. Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar had died from multiple stab wounds to their chests. And the reason their deaths were relegated to nationwide news rather than dime-a-dozen statistics is because one of the men involved in the scuffle happened to have led the National Football League in tackles last year.

If convicted along with his two friends, Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens will go from three-time All-Pro to lifetime inmate. In a matter of only a few bloody seconds, two lives were ended and the stellar career of a professional athlete was put into serious jeopardy. "I’m not trying to end my career like this", is what Lewis reportedly said in his hotel room after the fatal fight. This would be the very same room that the prosecution will attempt to show a "blood trail" leading to, with the assistance of a forensics expert no less renown than Henry Lee of the famed O.J. Simpson defense team.

So far, the state of Georgia’s case against Lewis has been rather flawed. Since the trial began, several witnesses whose testimony would supposedly demonstrate Lewis’ guilt have altered the stories initially given to investigators. Their testimonies were supposed to show that Ray Lewis hit, kicked or stabbed someone, and that he even admitted as much afterwards. Instead, the vast majority of testimony has either been inconclusive, or else supports the defense’s contention that Lewis acted solely as a peacemaker, trying in vain to prevent a tragedy that he would be tied to. It is crucial that jurors believe this if Lewis is to be acquitted, for even though no one has placed a knife in his hand or claims to have seen him stab anyone, he can still be convicted of murder if it is proven that he participated in the brawl that led to two deaths.

The lone person sticking to his assertion that Lewis acted violently has been Chester Anderson, not exactly an ideal witness. Anderson is an admitted con artist in jail on identification fraud charges. This has given the defense the opportunity to attack Anderson’s credibility, suggesting that he is falsely testifying in hopes of winning leniency in his own legal problems.

It has been shown that Ray Lewis gave a false statement to the police, mentioning only two people in the limousine that fled the scene, omitting the names of his friends and now co-defendants, Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting. However, Lewis has not been charged with lesser crimes such as lying to the authorities and obstruction of justice, but stands accused of cold blooded murder. This will be far more difficult to convict him of. So unless there is a dramatic turn in the case, it appears that at most, Lewis’ guilt is strictly by association. His proven crime is one he holds in common with countless new breed pro athletes groomed by the streets in the course of humble upbringings that were dramatically reshaped by contracts which made them instant millionaires - maintaining a "posse".

In today’s celebrity obsessed culture, becoming a sports icon makes the acquisition of hangers on inevitable. As more and more prodigies are discovered in the hood, so too increases the number of questionable companions brought along for the ride. As members of the hip hop generation, it is important to these young stars that they remain true to their roots. Rather than risk losing street credibility and being labeled sellouts, they choose to congregate with those who know them best. They elect to keep it real over playing it safe. Sometimes this works out to their advantage, helping them to remain grounded at the negligible cost of funding all activities. But there are those who prefer to flaunt the baubles of newly acquired wealth and fame, and when playa haters get in their faces to express outraged envy, the star’s true friends have his back, and he in turn, for the better of for the worse, has theirs. To just walk away from a confrontation demonstrates softness, and this simply cannot be. When someone in the position of Ray Lewis chooses to bond with a man who was charged with 25 criminal counts between 1985 and 1992 (Oakley), and a convicted felon who has done time in federal prison for a firearms violation (Sweeting), a good time has very real potential to turn bad.

Today’s most promising athletes increasingly fit the profile of young black men plucked from the ghetto and thrust into the spotlight. The cultural gap between them and the largely white, upper middle-class fans who pay to watch them play is widening. This gulf is now almost as wide as the players’ wallets have grown, and is expanding nearly as quickly as their arrest records. Ultimately, it is society’s responsibility to select the qualifications our heroes must meet. So the blame lies not in the stars, but in ourselves