PDA

View Full Version : GBN Mock Draft

Joemailman
03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.gbnreport.com/3-roundprojection.html

First mock I've seen that has Jonathan Stewart slipping to the Packers. If that happened, I think TT would grab him. The 2nd round picks would fill needs quite nicely.

cheesner
03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
This is the best Packer Mock that I have seen so far.

Hope this works out.

The Leaper
03-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Any draft with McFadden falling to #7 seems far fetched to me.

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Any draft with McFadden falling to #7 seems far fetched to me.

People would have said the same thing about Adrian Peterson last year.

oregonpackfan
03-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Just 2 spots ahead of Jonathan Stewart in that draft is CB Antoine Cason of Arizona. I have watched several Pac-10 games where Cason was not only a major presence on the field, he was a game-changer!

In the Oregon-Arizona game, he may have been THE major factor in the Wildcats beating the Ducks! His pass coverage, and tackling is very impressive.

For that matter, I have watched Stewart extensively the past two seasons with the Ducks. He is a very powerful runner but surprisingly quick for someone who is 5'11" and 235 lbs.

If Cason is available before Stewart, I would take Cason. If not, the Packers would do well drafting Stewart.

b bulldog
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
i'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY WITH THAT DRAFT

digitaldean
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Just 2 spots ahead of Jonathan Stewart in that draft is CB Antoine Cason of Arizona. I have watched several Pac-10 games where Cason was not only a major presence on the field, he was a game-changer!

In the Oregon-Arizona game, he may have been THE major factor in the Wildcats beating the Ducks! His pass coverage, and tackling is very impressive.

For that matter, I have watched Stewart extensively the past two seasons with the Ducks. He is a very powerful runner but surprisingly quick for someone who is 5'11" and 235 lbs.

If Cason is available before Stewart, I would take Cason. If not, the Packers would do well drafting Stewart.

Agreed, OPF.

Stewart may be out of action for a few months, but I think he will be a huge boost to the running game. If he falls, that has "best player available" screaming all over it if Cason is gone. I'd like Aqib Talib, but his stock has risen so much that he won't be available by the end of the first round.

I'm just glad they shortened the rounds. The delays between picks is just horrible.

Partial
03-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Cason is underrated these days. I remeber that Oregon game when he laid the wood and forced the fumble. He is a good player who I'd feel comfortable taking high. He was all over the field.

J-stew is the guy here though if he's available. He's thick, fast and runs through people. Definitely a good power back.

twoseven
03-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Stewart or Cason are exactly the two players I have as our hopeful number one. I think Stewart as a fast power back seems a greater need to us presently than Cason who'll go to nickel at best with TT wanting to get as much out of Harris as he can, but I would be happy with either.

Stewart's worth the wait IMO, a workout warrior you would imagine he knows how to take care of himself, hopefully making his recovery that much more succesful. The guy appears to be a solid block of muscle without a trace of fat on him, that 235 appears to carry no wasted space. Wynn and his chubby butt could learn a trick or three from him. I doubt Stewart would be cramping on the sidelines for the rest of a game after a 1st Q 60 yard run.

The Leaper
03-20-2008, 09:02 AM
People would have said the same thing about Adrian Peterson last year.

Well, AP is PRECISELY the reason why McFadden isn't going to fall that far. That is my point.

ND72
03-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Wow...yes please! If we could get Stewart, Davis in round 2, and get a solid corner on day 1....I MIGHT just have to do the happy dance that night at my buddies house.

LL2
03-20-2008, 09:58 AM
The good thing about getting Stewart is that is doesn't have to be a day 1 starter, as most expect RD1 picks to be. He can be slowly worked into the pro game backing up Grant for the year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, AP is PRECISELY the reason why McFadden isn't going to fall that far. That is my point.

I see it differently. I think it's a trend that teams don't value RBs as much as they used to.

Will he go before #7? Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if this mock is correct and he drops though.

The Leaper
03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I see it differently. I think it's a trend that teams don't value RBs as much as they used to.

My point is that AP opened a lot of eyes last year that previously had fallen into the trend you are talking about. I doubt they will be as likely to undervalue a RB like McFadden in 2008, when they probably would have the last few years.

Lurker64
03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
My point is that AP opened a lot of eyes last year that previously had fallen into the trend you are talking about. I doubt they will be as likely to undervalue a RB like McFadden in 2008, when they probably would have the last few years.

At the same time, anybody who drafts McFadden thinking they'll get an Adrian Peterson is going to be sorely disappointed. McFadden is much more in the Reggie Bush mold, which doesn't translate as well to the NFL where the linebacker play is a lot better.

DonHutson
03-20-2008, 11:33 AM
While Stewart would be a nice pick up at #30, the real steal in that mock is Fred Davis at the end of the 2nd. I didn't love him when he was projected as the Packers #1 in a lot of early mock drafts, but he would be a great combo with Donald Lee if we can grab him in the 2nd.

Partial
03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow...yes please! If we could get Stewart, Davis in round 2, and get a solid corner on day 1....I MIGHT just have to do the happy dance that night at my buddies house.

Same, though I'm not crazy about Davis.

Partial
03-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Will he go before #7? Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if this mock is correct and he drops though.

Agreed. I think he'll go 7 +- 1 spot

mngolf19
03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
The Vikes will not take a LB with their first pick. Especially if Malcolm Kelly is there. They might even go Flacco with that pick.

Fritz
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Why do we read these things? They are rarely correct past the first four or so picks, and definitely not correct once you get into the middle of the first round. Justin Harrell to the Pack - how many mocks got that?

yet we - myself included - continue to read them like starving dogs. Then TT drafts a defensive lineman from Bethune Cookman anyway, and we all scratch our heads and go "WTF?" while the Jon Stewarts and Fred Davises of the world sit on the board.

Why, oh why, do we/I read all this?

Lurker64
03-20-2008, 12:57 PM

What else have we got to do?

Joemailman
03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Why do we read these things? They are rarely correct past the first four or so picks, and definitely not correct once you get into the middle of the first round. Justin Harrell to the Pack - how many mocks got that?

yet we - myself included - continue to read them like starving dogs. Then TT drafts a defensive lineman from Bethune Cookman anyway, and we all scratch our heads and go "WTF?" while the Jon Stewarts and Fred Davises of the world sit on the board.

TT would never take a DT from Bethune Cookman, Safety yes, but not DT. We read these things because it is March and there is still snow on the ground.

Fritz
03-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Thank you both.

I feel better now.

So howz about that tight end from Purdue?

3irty1
03-20-2008, 05:54 PM

This is super true. Especially when you've got teams like the Packers and Steelers that never seem to have trouble finding their guy. It seems very unPackers like to get a first round RB. I'd be excited if it happened.

Partial
03-20-2008, 09:22 PM

This is super true. Especially when you've got teams like the Packers and Steelers that never seem to have trouble finding their guy. It seems very unPackers like to get a first round RB. I'd be excited if it happened.

Part of it is good scouting. These teams probably spend more resources doing this. Or they just have really good people and aren't letting them get away.

I'd love Jonathan Stewart. He would add an entirely new dimension to the offense and take a lot of pressure off Aaron on 3rd down.

RashanGary
03-20-2008, 09:55 PM
At the same time, anybody who drafts McFadden thinking they'll get an Adrian Peterson is going to be sorely disappointed. McFadden is much more in the Reggie Bush mold, which doesn't translate as well to the NFL where the linebacker play is a lot better.

I agree. I think Mendenhall is the stud in this draft. He's Lynch with more power, speed and burst. I think Stewart is good, but Mendenhall makes him look like a slow footed plodder. Mendenhall is the real deal. He's got the burst of McFadden with the power and NFL body of Stewart.

mission
03-21-2008, 01:56 AM

I agree. I think Mendenhall is the stud in this draft. He's Lynch with more power, speed and burst. I think Stewart is good, but Mendenhall makes him look like a slow footed plodder. Mendenhall is the real deal. He's got the burst of McFadden with the power and NFL body of Stewart.

I like him too but I think he shot too far up the radar late in the season ... who knows ...

The Leaper
03-21-2008, 08:36 AM

Huh?

McFadden is 6'2" and 210-215 pounds.

Bush is 6' and 200-205.

Not comparable IMO. McFadden, while not a hugely physical runner, still is considerably more physical than Bush ever was...and has plenty of size to be successful in the NFL.

The Leaper
03-21-2008, 08:50 AM

I love Mendenhall as well. I think both McFadden and Mendenhall will be stud RBs at the next level.

Don't tell me that Mendenhall has the burst of McFadden though. Mendenhall has plenty of speed...but he is NOT in McFadden's class.

Partial
03-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Huh?

McFadden is 6'2" and 210-215 pounds.

Bush is 6' and 200-205.

Not comparable IMO. McFadden, while not a hugely physical runner, still is considerably more physical than Bush ever was...and has plenty of size to be successful in the NFL.

I don't agree with that, and if you look at his physique McFadden is much thinner in the lower body that Bush.

POLISHHAWK
03-21-2008, 12:41 PM

Actually Mayock had us taking Harrell with one of his last Mock's last year. I actually said his name to my buddy just before Goddell did! My buddy looked at me like "What the Hell??"

CaliforniaCheez
03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Ted Thompson unexpectedly drafted Rodgers or he would have been starting for the Redskins.

Hawk was a clear cut choice.

Harrell was unexpected.

I think it will be an unexpected guy this year at #1.

Bretsky
03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Pete Prisco predicted up to take Harrell the morning of the draft; when I was listening I was wondering WTF he was talking about

Iron Mike
03-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Some things never get old:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/mikeshermansleeping.jpg

Deputy Nutz
03-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I like this site, I forgot all about it.

Really a nice draft for the Packers. I actually did a write up on Patrick Lee for a possible first round selection.

Lurker64
03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
I like this site, I forgot all about it.

Really a nice draft for the Packers. I actually did a write up on Patrick Lee for a possible first round selection.

Yeah, I do think this is close to the best plausible first day the Packers could possibly have. I would be ecstatic with Stewart, Davis, and Lee.

I don't think it would happen though.

The Shadow
03-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Look for CB Brandon Flowers in the first.
Guard Shaun Murphy as one of the 2nd round picks.

red
03-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Look for CB Brandon Flowers in the first.
Guard Shaun Murphy as one of the 2nd round picks.

ummm, no

no players from VT please

Joemailman
04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Updated GBN Mock
http://www.gbnreport.com/3-roundprojection.html

Packer Picks:

(1) Justin King CB Penn State
(2) Matt Forte RB Tulane
(2) Carl Nicks OT Nebraska
(3) John David Booty QB USC

King and Forte sound like reaches to me. But then, people said that about James Jones.

DonHutson
04-06-2008, 11:46 AM
No thanks. I'll stick with their prior prediction.

Bretsky
04-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Lot of Flowers love lately; isn't he a small buzzer in the 5 9" to 5 10" ?

I wonder how much this weighs into our pick now or if height is not as much of an issue with Moss long gone

twoseven
04-06-2008, 03:47 PM

I wonder how much this weighs into our pick now or if height is not as much of an issue with Moss long gone
DET's Calvin Johnson, 6' 5" 240..

Joemailman
04-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Listed at 5-9 7/8. My question is whether the lack of height is a hindrance in getting a jam at the line of scrimmage. Will a shorter CB lose that battle more often than not because the receiver has the leverage? The ability to cover the receiver downfield would be less of a concern to me.

red
04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
i just have nightmares of tall WR's grabbing balls without even jumping over guys like t-buck and carroll

i also don't want flowers because it seems like beamer has a nice little head case factory going on down there at Va Tech

Joemailman
04-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't put much stock in the school he comes from. Aaron Rouse comes from there, and seems to be a very solid guy.

Flowers is really the anti-Carroll. He lacks premier speed, but makes up for it by being solid in all other areas. Maybe more like Craig Newsome. Many of the top CB's in the NFL are no bigger than Flowers. Lack of height can be overcome if you know how to play the position.

Partial
04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
VT is one of the best defenses in the country. Beamer has put out boatloads of solid corners over the years, and Flowers was one of their stars.

RashanGary
04-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I think Chevis Jackson is a gifted CB who could drop into the late 2nd or even late 3rd range. He's not as fast as you like them - 4.58 40 yd dash but he's a really, really good player.

Senior Bowl Monday South Team Practice: Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU: Strongest CB on the field. Will be a fine press corner, showing strength and an ability to close quickly. Made plays on multiple throws today.

Senior Bowl Tuesday South Team Practice: Even with a strong showing from the South's wide receivers, several cornerbacks helped their stock Tuesday with good performances. The most consistent cornerback on the roster today was LSU's Chevis Jackson. Even passes were caught by his assignment, Jackson was in good position to make the play.

His 21 passes defensed (16 break-ups, 5 interceptions) was the third-highest season total in school history…Gained 52 yards on his five interception returns…Had 82 passes targeted into his area, as the opposition caught just 21 balls for 230 yards (10.95 yards per completion/2.8 yards per attempt) and three touchdowns, as opposing quarterbacks completed just 25.61% of those tosses

He shut down his side of the field as well as any player in college football. He was the most consistant CB at the senior bowl. He's explosive and has great change of direction. He ran a lack luster 40 yard dash but he plays fast on the field.

3 year starter at big time school. All SEC 1st team. He's a player. He'll slip because of speed, but I think he can play.

The Leaper
04-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I think Chevis Jackson is a gifted CB who could drop into the late 2nd or even late 3rd range. He's not as fast as you like them - 4.58 40 yd dash but he's a really, really good player.

He is a definite fit for our system...and would be a tremendous pickup in the 2nd round.

DonHutson
04-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I had been simply skipping over Flowers due to his height. Going back and reading up on him, he could be a great fit. Tough, instinctive, physical, in your face cover CB. I might like him better than Cason, who some think is a better fit for a team that plays a lot of zone.

Partial
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I had been simply skipping over Flowers due to his height. Going back and reading up on him, he could be a great fit. Tough, instinctive, physical, in your face cover CB. I might like him better than Cason, who some think is a better fit for a team that plays a lot of zone.

Flowers will probably fall because of his size, but imo he is a good player. VT has put out several good corners and I think Flowers in the most physical of them, but the least physically gifted. Anyone know how Jimmy Williams is doing? He was a good prospect out of VT who I've heard nothing of.

Joemailman
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Williams was switched to Safety last year, and played in 9 games, starting just 2. Don't know if injuries were involved. I do know he tested positive for marijuana in June 2007.

cpk1994
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
i just have nightmares of tall WR's grabbing balls without even jumping over guys like t-buck and carroll

i also don't want flowers because it seems like beamer has a nice little head case factory going on down there at Va TechI thought that Antonio Freeman guy was pretty good when the Pack drafted him from there.