PDA

View Full Version : OT: Barry Bonds Passes Ruth With Home Run # 715

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 06:34 PM
His accomplishments make him the greatest player who ever played the game. He cannot get the respect that the guys before him got. The way he did it was just not pure. Aaron, Ruth and Mayes where 1, 2 and 3 as the greatest baseball players ever. Barry is somewhere right behind IMO. I can't ignore the way he did it.

Even without steroids, I think he is the second greatest athlete of our time. 1. MJ, 2. Barry

Everyone else is way back right now.

Jimx29
05-28-2006, 06:42 PM
*yawn*

Rastak
05-28-2006, 07:15 PM
*yawn*
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

retailguy
05-28-2006, 07:21 PM
shouldn't this be moved to the NBA area?

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Packer fans arn't a very cultured group of sports fans huh......

I'm sittin watching the Suns/Mavs game right now...I'm rooting for the Suns. You guys should try watching other sports than just football. It's acctually pretty enjoyable.

Rastak
05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Packer fans arn't a very cultured group of sports fans huh......

I'm sittin watching the Suns/Mavs game right now...I'm rooting for the Suns. You guys should try watching other sports than just football. It's acctually pretty enjoyable.

I watch MANY sports...but baseball is a totally messed up sport without a cap. AND the guy the thread is about cheats....so the hell with it.

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 08:37 PM
I get it...If ya don't like it, don't read it.

Rastak
05-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I get it...If ya don't like it, don't read it.

If I didn't read it I wouldn't have known what was being said Nick. I'd rather read about Bobby Bonds actually....now there was a great player.

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't think Barry's legacy is as honored as at least 5 or 10 others but if you ignore the 'roids, he was the greatest baseball player ever to play the game.

Oscar
05-28-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm a b-ball fan... How bout Pete Rose?? He got caught fair and square..Right?? I this day and age.... Bonds is what he is... I'll let the stat guys sort it all out

MadtownPacker
05-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I hate this thread. Barry is a fallen hero to me. Forever tarnished by what he did. He didn't need to do it, he was already a HOFer. Why Barry ? Why? NC I dont want to move this one I want to delete it. His records dont count.

Rastak
05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I hate this thread. Barry is a fallen hero to me. Forever tarnished by what he did. He didn't need to do it, he was already a HOFer. Why Barry ? Why? NC I dont want to move this one I want to delete it. His records dont count.

Yup.

Hank Aaron, now there was a man.

Patler
05-28-2006, 09:38 PM
You guys should try watching other sports than just football. It's acctually pretty enjoyable.

Actually, football isn't even my favorite sport.

Rastak
05-28-2006, 09:42 PM
You guys should try watching other sports than just football. It's acctually pretty enjoyable.

Actually, football isn't even my favorite sport.

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question...what is your favorite sport Sham?

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I'd guess Shamler is a.........hockey fan..

retailguy
05-28-2006, 10:38 PM
I'd guess Shamler is a.........hockey fan..

Nope, he likes Volleyball.

GBRulz
05-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Agree with Mad 100%.

All his records should be tossed.

was also hoping a non Giants fan would have caught that ball, too, which was the case with #714. Love it, the kid says "I hate Bonds" :mrgreen:

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I cannot believe the animosity t'ward the guy. McGuire was doing the same shit. Did you see his testimony. He never admitted anything but he would not answer questions to avoid admitting use.

Bonds is no different. I understand that he cheated and he doesn't deserve all of this but like Mad said; he was a HOFer before the 'roids. He didn't need to do that.

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Aaron, Mayes and Ruth, but I put him in that next group down. It's not like he's using cocaine or some shit like that. He used steroids. I know they have a really bad image, but 'roids are not that harmfull to the body. 107.5 had the Packers doctor on and he was saying 'roids where not nearly as damaging as any street drug. He was saying that they are very helpfull for somethings but need to be used in moderation.

It's too bad he tainted his career like this because he was already one of the greats before he did this. He was an amazing athlete even at 185 LBS. Just an amazing talent. It's too bad he's getting this pub because he worked so hard in his career. Poeple can just be forgiveless. I don't ignore it, but I try to see the good with the bad.

Harlan Huckleby
05-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Barry Bonds story has grown old.

I would LOVE to watch the Suns-Mavs series, but I don't get TNT.

Damn, I'm watching the Miami Heat series cause it's on ESPN, which I do get. But I hate watching Shaq wave is big butt around and push the skinny guys out of the way. Shit. That Suns-Mavs series looks like GREAT basketball.

GBRulz
05-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I was going to mention that also about McGwire.

Nick, the sad thing is, had be been using Cocaine, people would be more forgiving than his use of the juice. Performance enhancing drugs of any kind are illegal in the game, it just doesn't matter. Anything that gives one an unfair advantage, people are quick to turn a shoulder on. How long did George Brett have to live with the pine tar incident? That wasn't an illegal drug of any kind, but it didn't matter to the fans.

That is why I can never put Bonds in the same company as Ruth, Aaron, etc.

swede
05-28-2006, 11:24 PM
It took him five years to hit his first 100 home runs. Without the juice the cheating, lying abomination would be somewhere around 500 right now.

May baseball fans forever spit on the ground--pwahh!--at the name of Barry Bonds.

I swear on Sammy Sosa's corked bat that I shall never accept this record as legitimate.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-28-2006, 11:36 PM
As somebody who has studied racism in Sociology 101, methinks the real reason behind the so called "X generation" of the so called "white race" like such and such who quoted such and such dislike Barry Bonds is because he is a so called "black man" who like to date the so called "white women," creating a so called "interracial sexual relationship."

I, as a so called "liberal white man," would like to show that race is irreverent as we are all inferior to the Alien race. I have decided to write this song:

The Alien Who Fell In Love

Welcome to Earth, fair Alien friend
Your sex with our women will never end
You morphs into men
And as men to women you are seen
But your blood remains green

GBRulz
05-28-2006, 11:39 PM
tank, do you really think this is about race?

nice song by the way, it ranks up there with Chapter 10 :roll:

Patler
05-29-2006, 12:04 AM

There is an "x" factor of some sort involved. From the reporting and fan criticism, you would think Bonds is the only steroid user in the game. Yet Bonds has NEVER tested positive. We have Raphael Palmeiro who has tested positive and his name rarely hits the newspapers. Where is the contempt and discussed for him. He denied using steroids UNDER OATH before Congress. What about his record of being only the 4th player to have 500 HRs and 3000 hits (with Mays, Aaron and Eddie Murray). News about him has just about evaporated.

What about Mark McGwire, and his "enhancers"? Where is the contempt for him.

How about the other dozen or so who have tested positive? Again, it seems as if Bonds, who has never failed a drug test, is the only one.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-29-2006, 12:05 AM

Not really; I was just tying to be funny. But Bonds will tell you it is, and he is somewhat right. Some conservatives in the world are just so fucking narrow minded, they refused to respect the fact that another man merely broke Ruth's record.

I got the idea for the incomplete song from my favorite TV show the X-Files. There was this one episode where an Alien fell in love with baseball.

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I believe baseball has a lot of racism.

I have as much tolerance for racists as I do for gays and any other minority. Everyone does what they believe is right IMHO. Sometimes they get twisted through the enviornment they live in. It's through no fault of their own.

I'm not racist, but I believe in genetics. I believe the gene pool in early africa was different than the gene pool in early europe, america ECT....I don't believe in better or worse, but different. As we mix, skin color won't be a way to determine what gene pool you're from. We'll all be a mix of the bunch. Untill that day, racism will exist becuase differneces are there adn people cannot help but see difference as better or worse.

That's my view on it.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I believe baseball has a lot of racism.

I have as much tolerance for racists as I do for gays and any other minority. Everyone does what they believe is right IMHO. Sometimes they get twisted through the enviornment they live in. It's through no fault of their own.

I'm not racist, but I believe in genetics. I believe the gene pool in early africa was different than the gene pool in early europe, america ECT....I don't believe in better or worse, but different. As we mix, skin color won't be a way to determine what gene pool you're from. We'll all be a mix of the bunch. Untill that day, racism will exist becuase differneces are there adn people cannot help but see difference as better or worse.

That's my view on it.

Many a dozen scientists say that human evolved from Monkeys in Africa. People migrated all over the world to exploit Mother Nature's economy and over time our skins changed color, in relation the environment.

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Do you think the skin was the only thing that evolved?

cpk1994
05-29-2006, 12:55 AM

There is an "x" factor of some sort involved. From the reporting and fan criticism, you would think Bonds is the only steroid user in the game. Yet Bonds has NEVER tested positive. We have Raphael Palmeiro who has tested positive and his name rarely hits the newspapers. Where is the contempt and discussed for him. He denied using steroids UNDER OATH before Congress. What about his record of being only the 4th player to have 500 HRs and 3000 hits (with Mays, Aaron and Eddie Murray). News about him has just about evaporated.

What about Mark McGwire, and his "enhancers"? Where is the contempt for him.

How about the other dozen or so who have tested positive? Again, it seems as if Bonds, who has never failed a drug test, is the only one.

Palmerio name rarely hits the newspaper because his career is basically over. No one wants him on their team. Therefore nothing to report. As for MCGwire, his performance before Congress brought alot of contempt. The man was mocked and called a "joke". The only reason it stopped is the fact that he has retired and the fact that McGwire did admit to using andro which was legal at the time he was using it.

Patler
05-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Palmeiro's career is over, because its over. He was no longer the payer he had been. But where is the clamor to put an asterisk by his name? Where is the clamor to deny him entrance to the HOF? It will be interesting to see what the vote is when his name comes up.

McGwire didn't admit to using andro, he was caught with a bottle of the stuff in his locker. What could he say, someone planted it? I seriously doubt that andro was the extent of his pharmacological enhancements. At the time, andro was prohibited in all other professional sports except baseball. Where is the clamor to put an asterisk by his name in the record books? I read one article last winter that proposed restoring the single season home run record to McGwire! How absurd is that? Where is the clamor to deny McGwire entrance to the HOF? It will be interesting to see what the vote is when Mcgwires name comes up, which will be fairly soon.

Whatever Bonds may or may not have taken, it was not prohibted by MLB when he took it either. I don't believe it is known for sure if he ever took anything prohibited by law. That's what the investigation is for.

Bonds has been singled out because the media and he have never gotten along. They hated him way back when he was in Pittsburgh. That's why they won't let up on him now.

MadtownPacker
05-29-2006, 02:15 AM
Bonds has been singled out because the media and he have never gotten along. They hated him way back when he was in Pittsburgh. That's why they won't let up on him now.I agree with this statement completely. I feel that the love the sosa and mcguire received during the homerun record chase made Bonds envious. He did what he felt he had to do. Legal or illegal, as a fan of the SF Giants and Bonds I have to say I feel let down regardless.

Patler
05-29-2006, 03:04 AM
I feel that the love the sosa and mcguire received during the homerun record chase made Bonds envious. He did what he felt he had to do. Legal or illegal, as a fan of the SF Giants and Bonds I have to say I feel let down regardless.

Too bad the McGwire/Sosa battle was fueled by drugs and cork!

I'm a Giants fan myself! Bonds too, but Bobby more so than Barry. I remember when Bobby Bonds came up as the "next Willie Mays" and they played in the outfield together. Giants had a string of years when they were good but couldn't seem to get past the Dodgers. Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Davenport, Haller, Marichal, Perry, all three Alous (Felipe, Matty & Jesus) at one time or another. Some very good players and a number of future HOFers, all on the same team.. Bobby Bonds came up towards the end of that generation of players.

Guiness
05-29-2006, 09:26 AM
I agree with CPK that the anti-Bonds thing is big because he's in the spotlight. He's setting the records now, and is big news. What would an editor say if a writer presented him with a story on McGwire or Palmiero right now? He's tell him to shove it, no one cares.

Also, by the time McWire landed himself in front of the comittee, his limelight days were behind him - he wasn't in the thick of it. The stink that the NYY first baseman (what was his name? Came from Oakland) caused by getting caught was much bigger.

After Bonds retires (this season?) the clamor will die down. As Sham said, everybody was doing it during this time period. That doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

For the record, baseball bores the piss out of me.

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 09:33 AM
If ya gonna move it, then move it to the Brewers thread. Shish! This is Romper Room - fun and games and serious talk. Not fucking steroid junky athletes!

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 01:22 PM
If you don't like it then don't read it Tarlam.

It was lasting on the Packer page and was attracting posters that usually don't post.

Like I was saying when I wanted OT threads allowed on the main page, I think it opens the board up to a variety of personalities and interests. It is Packer 1st, but this thread was becoming one of the most hit threads on the Packer page. This is Packerrats so the Packer page is pretty much the main page.

Guys like Tarlam and Rastak don't have to read it if you don't like it, but the board is stronger for it IMO. There were a few posters I've never seen post hit this topic up. I think it's cool that we have different interests other than just the Packers.

Hell, if someone wants an FYI on the main page, I see no reason why not. If you don't like it, don't read it, but it allows pepole to be themselves.

Once something goes to the romper room it's just seen by the few who acctually like it there. There was no reason to move this thread IMO. IF people didn't want to comment on it or read it, they should just not open it.

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Fuck off Nick. If this was on the baseball page, I would never have seen it. I saw it. I only responded to it since it was moved.

I'll respond to what I like. You don't need to instruct me. Are we clear on that?

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I'll instruct however I want. You do whatever you want.

Got that?

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I'll instruct however I want. You do whatever you want.

Got that?

Yeah. You wanna have the last word. It's all yours. I hope your self worth just went up.

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey...You just got the last word now..

Fuck You.

Partial
05-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Watch the language guys, come on.

This is fine in the romper room. This is a discussion of steroids in baseball, not actual baseball. Don't worry, be happy!

hurleyfan
05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I agree with CPK that the anti-Bonds thing is big because he's in the spotlight. He's setting the records now, and is big news. What would an editor say if a writer presented him with a story on McGwire or Palmiero right now? He's tell him to shove it, no one cares.

Also, by the time McWire landed himself in front of the comittee, his limelight days were behind him - he wasn't in the thick of it. The stink that the NYY first baseman (what was his name? Came from Oakland) caused by getting caught was much bigger.

After Bonds retires (this season?) the clamor will die down. As Sham said, everybody was doing it during this time period. That doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

For the record, baseball bores the piss out of me.

The Yankee player is Jason Giambe, and supposedly he admitted to the congress boys his use of steroids during the investigation / interrogation. He was bashed by the media, both national and the New York papers, especially the fans, but he came clean, made himself available to the media and worked his ass off to show he didn't need to juice to excel.

The big difference with Bonds is his chip on the shoulder attitude with the media, and that was established years ago, and he shows no signs of changing.

This will be very interesting when he retires and he comes up for HOF election. Bseball purists will claim there needs to be an * next to his name ala Maris for how many years when after he hit 61 taters.