PDA

View Full Version : Pacman to cowboys?

packers11
03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
pft.com

PACMAN HEADING TO BIG D?
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2008, 7:06 p.m.
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he wants his off-season moves to make people say “wow.”

He may be close to a trade that would do just that.

Citing unnamed NFL sources, Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Cowboys are attempting to acquire suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Pacman Jones, and that trade talks between the teams are intensifying to the point that one person close to the talks predicts a deal could be completed in the next week.

As compensation for Pacman, Dallas would send the Titans a mid-round draft pick, Schefter reports.

Jones is certainly talented enough that if he could get on the field, stay on the field and stay out of trouble, he’d be worth a mid-round pick. But can Jones do those things? That’s the big question. Jones is suspended and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will determine his status for 2008 before training camps open. Although a player can be traded while he’s suspended, the Cowboys would presumably want to trade for Jones only if they think there’s a good chance he’ll be permitted to play in 2008.

If the Cowboys add Jones, they’ll have two of the three players who were the league’s poster boys for bad behavior at this time last year. During the 2007 season they signed former Bear Tank Johnson, and now they appear to be closing in on acquiring Pacman. Perhaps they should contact the Bengals and inquire about the availability of Chris Henry.

b bulldog
03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
hE IS A VERY TROUBLED YOUNG MAN WHO HAS A GREAT DEAL OF TALENT

Freak Out
03-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Are the Cowboys the new Bengals?

MadtownPacker
03-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Are the Cowboys the new Bengals?No, they are just becoming the old cowboys.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2008, 12:32 AM
You don't win with a roster loaded with bad character guys like Owens and Pacman.

mission
03-21-2008, 01:51 AM
That's true...

Just guys like Mike Irvin, Erik Williams, Leon Lett, etc... those guys might not have much talent, but GOLLLLYYYY, do they have character!

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2008, 02:15 AM
That's true...

Just guys like Mike Irvin, Erik Williams, Leon Lett, etc... those guys might not have much talent, but GOLLLLYYYY, do they have character!

I could probably list you 10 bad character guys that were so-called leaders on their team that didn't win a championship for every Cowboy con you can list. That team was an exception. Character is a big part of winning in the NFL.

b bulldog
03-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Don't forget Tank Johnson either

denverYooper
03-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Yep. I'm just waiting for the "hookers and blow" stories to start popping up for the 'boys again.

MadtownPacker
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Yep. I'm just waiting for the "hookers and blow" stories to start popping up for the 'boys again.Imagine the shit owens would talk if he was hopped up on nose candy?

Him8123
03-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I don`t know why anyone would even consider putting pacman on their team. He is a thug and thats that. Should never be allowed to play again ever. Its a privalege and he blew it way more than once.

BZnDallas
03-21-2008, 11:48 PM
I agree HIM... but unfortunately the leauge and jerry jones like most entities are all about money... and pacman will certainly sell, think about how much more he could sell in dallas... i hate to think about it b/c i bleed green and gold, but all jerry thinks about is money money money... :x

Bretsky
03-22-2008, 08:04 AM
I agree HIM... but unfortunately the leauge and jerry jones like most entities are all about money... and pacman will certainly sell, think about how much more he could sell in dallas... i hate to think about it b/c i bleed green and gold, but all jerry thinks about is money money money... :x

Completely agree

And welcome to the forum !!!

Fritz
03-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I think the real key to the story is the statement Jones made about wanting to make offseason deals that would make people go "wow." As I've said before, making an offseason splash doesn't guarantee a damn thing in December in January. Remember the thread someone posted that showed last year's offseason "winners" were Miami and San Francisco? How'd that work out?

I think a team can handle a few bad apples, but I think there's a tipping point at which it implodes. I don't know the Dallas team well enough to know how many bad characters would be on it with Pacman, but it sounds like they'd be close to the edge.

GrnBay007
03-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Pacman wants in
Lawyer says troubled CB a fit for Pats

By John Tomase | Friday, March 21, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com

No player is more synonymous with trouble than Adam “Pacman” Jones. No team is better at rehabilitating perceived problem children than the Patriots [team stats].

Could the two go great together? Jones’ lawyer thinks so.

Manny Arora, Jones’ attorney throughout his various brushes with the law, said yesterday that if the Tennessee Titans [team stats] decide to trade their troubled corner, the Pats would be atop his list of landing spots.

“Tennessee has said publicly that they’re considering all their options, including a trade,” Arora said. “If Tennessee decides there is going to be a trade, New England would be a very good fit for us. The reason for that is great leadership, strong coaching and a winning tradition.

“Over my years representing athletes and being a lawyer, as long as you’re winning, all the baggage goes away. No one wants to be the guy to mess up winning. The track record the Patriots have in giving players a fresh start would be a great fit.”

Though the Patriots have been described in prior reports as having shown a measure of interest in Jones, there’s no evidence their curiosity has ever advanced beyond cursory.

The current front-runners for Jones’ services are the Cowboys, with the Lions also in pursuit. Jones would be willing to renegotiate his rookie deal wherever he ends up, with Tennessee’s asking price rumored to be no higher than a fourth- or fifth-round draft pick.

From a Patriots perspective, there would be a number of hurdles to completing a deal, not least of which is the fact that Jones is still serving a one-year suspension for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. He has yet to be reinstated by commissioner Roger Goodell.

“He has been told that a decision on his status will be made at some point prior to the opening of training camps,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said last night.

Arora would like a decision to come sooner.

“We’re going to petition for him to be reinstated prior to the draft,” said Arora, who also serves as Jones’ agent. “The reason for that request is because if a team needs a corner, we’d like to be able to facilitate a trade before they fill their needs through free agency or the draft, which wouldn’t be fair to us.”

Also making Jones a tough sign is the fact that his name is considered public relations poison, thanks to no fewer than 10 run-ins with the law since he entered the NFL in 2005 as the sixth overall pick out of West Virginia.

With the Patriots taking their share of PR hits in the last six months thanks to Camera-gate, a suspension and a pair of marijuana arrests, the timing does not appear particularly conducive to adding a player as polarizing as Jones.

Then again, there’s no questioning his talent as a developing corner and electrifying punt returner (four touchdowns), with the former a huge area of need for the Pats. There’s also no questioning the team’s track record at image rehabilitation, with Randy Moss joining Corey Dillon [stats] and, to a lesser extent, Rodney Harrison [stats].

Jones’ image needs an overhaul. He has been cited for everything from marijuana possession to assault and felony vandalism to disorderly conduct to speeding. His most serious incident came in February 2007 during an altercation at a Las Vegas strip club, when a shooting by a purported member of his entourage left a former pro wrestler paralyzed.

Jones ultimately pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of conspiracy to commit disorderly conduct, but his reputation was tainted beyond repair, and last April 10 Goodell suspended him for the ’07 season.

Now he’s hoping to come back, and he’d like nothing more than for it to be with the Patriots.

“He served the longest suspension ever,” Arora said. “I don’t know what more it is he has to do to prove worthy of coming back.”

BZnDallas
03-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanx bretsky!... Fritz, i do argree with you about having too many 'bad character' guys... but it seems you don't see the 'bad character' if the team is winning... only if they are losing (for the most part anyway)... you used miami and sf as examples for winning in the offseason and it not working in the regular season, but where were they the year before?... not 13-3 with a first round bye... if a team like the cowbitches have some significant signings and/or trades i think it could work out better for them than miami and sf, although i hate to admit it... just a thought... :beat:

GrnBay007
03-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Cowboys sweeten offer for Pacman
New proposal includes player, late-round draft choice

Pacman Jones has made it clear he wants to be a Cowboy. Dallas is doing its part to make sure that happens.

After their initial offer of a seventh-round draft pick to the Titans for their suspended cornerback was rejected, the Cowboys have upped their proposal to include a player along with the late-round selection, a source told SI.com.

The Titans are warming to the offer, according to the source, but a few financial ramifications need to be addressed before the deal can be consummated. Jones has two years remaining on his original five-year, $30 million deal, and the Cowboys want to redo that contract, likely to a one-year deal to protect their interests. Jones is on record stating his willingness to renegotiate the contract and his agent, Manny Arora, reportedly met with Cowboys' officials earlier in the week to address the situation.

Jones is currently suspended by the NFL and awaiting reinstatement from commissioner Roger Goodell. Though Jones' off-field woes detract from his talent - he's been arrested six times since May 2005 -- the Titans realize Jones is a Pro Bowl-caliber player and are attempting to recoup some value in exchange for the troubled star. Jones was the Titans' best defensive player when he last suited up for them in 2006, and his electrifying return skills make him an impact player in two phases of the game.

"The kid was the sixth pick in the draft and we need to get something of value in return," an unnamed Titans official said.