PDA

View Full Version : Haircuts for some players?

GrnBay007
03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
A hairy issue

In what could be a boon for barbershops, the NFL’s competition committee is considering a rule that would ban players from having their hair cover or obscure the names on the back of player’s jersey.

The Kansas City Chiefs proposed the rule that is expected to be debated, and voted on, at the league’s annual meeting later this month in Palm Beach, Fla.

It already generated discussion during a week’s worth of competition committee meetings in Naples, Fla., earlier this month.

Should it pass, it instantly would generate public debate and force players such as Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu and Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis to get a haircut.

The Chiefs view longer hair as a uniform violation. But others could interpret it as a safety violation. When Kansas City played Pittsburgh in October 2006, Chiefs running back Larry Johnson pulled down Polamalu from behind grabbing ahold of his hair.

There apparently has been no empirical data that supports that longer hair is a safety issue, but it is an issue with at least one team. And it will generate discussion and debate.

It is hardly something that has the NFL pulling out its hair. But it is something that soon could have players trimming theirs.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/Troy-Polamalu-200x250.jpg

oregonpackfan
03-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I can understand the league's rationale for this. Al Harris is also one player who you cannot read his name for his dredlocks.

As a player, I would not want long hair outside my helmet for fear it might get inadvertently(or intentionally) pulled by another player. Also, long hair might get entangled in equipment, etc.

I am sure some players with long hair will cite First Amendment rights, etc.

BallHawk
03-21-2008, 03:14 PM
There'd have to be exceptions.

Bigby has long hair because that is a Rastafarian belief, that hair gives you strength. They can't override somebodies religion with a new rule.

BallHawk
03-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I didn't know the competition committee was in Naples.

Damn, I should of gone and protested in support of Al and Atari. :D

Partial
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Bigby has long hair because that is a Rastafarian belief, that hair gives you strength. They can't override somebodies religion with a new rule.

Tell that to the Yankees.

BallHawk
03-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Can't think of any Rastafarians on the Yankees......

Partial
03-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Can't think of any Rastafarians on the Yankees......

They don't let anyone have facial hair or hair hanging out of a hat.

The rule exists, but I don't think they have anyone to question it. Personally, I think it'd be interesting if they had a muslim player with a beard.

Lurker64
03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd guess that if that rule passed, Bigby would leave the NFL. I hope it does not. Bigby already passed up an opportunity to play at a major college program (Miami during their heydey as I believe) because they would have made him cut his hair.

Rastak
03-21-2008, 04:44 PM

Unless he also gets a free pass on the weed of wisdom I'd say that's not right.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd guess that if that rule passed, Bigby would leave the NFL. I hope it does not. Bigby already passed up an opportunity to play at a major college program (Miami during their heydey as I believe) because they would have made him cut his hair.

any source on this?

packers11
03-21-2008, 05:32 PM

any source on this?

Yea, go search JSO archives... It had a big article on were Bigby came from and how he didn't go to "THE U" because they made freshmen shave their heads (on the football team)...

GrnBay007
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I can understand the point that the name/number should not be obstructed. I can't understand how the guys would want to take a chance on some player yanking them down by the hair.....dang, that would hurt!!

Harlan Huckleby
03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I can understand the league's rationale for this. Al Harris is also one player who you cannot read his name for his dredlocks.

As a player, I would not want long hair outside my helmet for fear it might get inadvertently(or intentionally) pulled by another player. Also, long hair might get entangled in equipment, etc.

I am sure some players with long hair will cite First Amendment rights, etc.

Oh come on. How much of a problem is it identifying players with long hair!? They stick out like sore thumbs. When's the last time anybody squinted and asked, "Is that Al Harris?"

i would say this is unnecessary comformity, a pointless desire to control others.

The No Fun League rears its head again.

MJZiggy
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree with Harlan here. I don't think it's a true "safety" issue to get your hair pulled. It's the risk you run by keeping it long. If they're worried about seeing the number, mandate a pony tail on gameday, but yes, Atari would likely retire before cutting his hair.

Lurker64
03-21-2008, 06:49 PM
any source on this?

Here you go (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=652196).

Green Bud Packer
03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Heck. Wear your name under your number.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-21-2008, 08:33 PM
any source on this?

Here you go (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=652196).

Sounds more like an excuse. Not saying Bigby isn't true to his faith, but i doubt Miami was seriously ever after him. If he was a miami type talent, then other schools woulda pursued.

red
03-21-2008, 09:17 PM
i just think it looks very ugly

harris bigby and even hawk

i'm not a fan of the long hair

i really hate stephen jackson, he has so much hair up under his helmet that his face is right up against his facemask

CUT YOUR HAIR YOU GOD DAMNED HIPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Sounds more like an excuse. Not saying Bigby isn't true to his faith, but i doubt Miami was seriously ever after him. If he was a miami type talent, then other schools woulda pursued.

Unless you have another source, I'll trust the article.

Atari Bigby was a standout athlete for a Florida high school football powerhouse and he wanted nothing more than to stay in his hometown and play for the mighty Miami Hurricanes.

But a few years ago, the Miami football program had an unofficial policy that was strictly reinforced. All incoming freshmen had to shave their heads.

Rastak
03-22-2008, 12:47 AM

i really hate stephen jackson, he has so much hair up under his helmet that his face is right up against his facemask

So sunday as Easter hits, you'll look at a picture of the lord as usually portrayed and yell "Cut your hair you god damned hippie"

:roll:

RashanGary
03-22-2008, 07:45 AM

Little racial undertone? ? ? Harris, Bigby "and even Hawk" :)

GrnBay007
03-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Or.....maybe what he meant by "even" is Hawk's hair is not nearly as long as the other two....but he still would like to see it cut. :D Think positive.

red
03-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Or.....maybe what he meant by "even" is Hawk's hair is not nearly as long as the other two....but he still would like to see it cut. :D Think positive.

yup yup, that is where i was going

i doesn't go half way down his back, but i still don't like it

RashanGary
03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm not buying it. Red is a full fledged hate monger. From this one statement I can extrapolate his entire personality. He's an inherantly evil white person. His evil stems and grows from the caucasiousity of his satanic skin.

1. He thinks poor people are stupid and deserve lives of poverty
2. He hates black people, mexicans, asians and gay people
3. His name has something to do with "redskin" (a derogatory term for brutal, bloody treatment of native americans)

SCUM BAG!!

What do you think of Muslims, Red?

You don't have to answer. I already know :no:

GrnBay007
03-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Hope you are joking. :shock:

RashanGary
03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Hope you are joking. :shock:

Don't stick up for him. He probably hates women too :)

red
03-22-2008, 10:05 AM
lol, well, not the women here on PR

MadtownPacker
03-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm not buying it. Red is a full fledged hate monger. From this one statement I can extrapolate his entire personality. He's an inherantly evil white person. His evil stems and grows from the caucasiousity of his satanic skin.
Last I recall he only hates people from Kazakhstan or those who pretend to have manners like them.

Iron Mike
03-22-2008, 02:19 PM

So sunday as Easter hits, you'll look at a picture of the lord as usually portrayed and yell "Cut your hair you god damned hippie"

:roll:

If you think the 1941 Warner Sallman representation of JC is an accurate representation of what a first-century middle eastern rabbi looks like, then I'd say you're as misguided as red:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/04/04/weekinreview/Kirk2184.jpg

Here's a recent representation of an approximation of the appearance of a man of Jesus' time:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/Proposedjesus.jpg/175px-Proposedjesus.jpg

red
03-22-2008, 03:25 PM
so i'm misguided now because i don't like long hair?

Harlan Huckleby
03-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Little racial undertone? ? ? Harris, Bigby "and even Hawk" :)

good catch

Harlan Huckleby
03-22-2008, 06:38 PM

calm down, nobody said you are misguided. I think what they are suggesting is that you are the Antichrist.

:twisted:

Harlan Huckleby
03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
If you think the 1941 Warner Sallman representation of JC is an accurate representation of what a first-century middle eastern rabbi looks like, then I'd say you're as misguided as red:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/04/04/weekinreview/Kirk2184.jpg

Here's a recent representation of an approximation of the appearance of a man of Jesus' time:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/Proposedjesus.jpg/175px-Proposedjesus.jpg

Your updated pic isn't necessarily the final word, Ferric One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfu2P6cGhWo

MadtownPacker
03-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Harlan - I think you ar better off knowing what this guy looks like cuz you are gonna go see him when the lights turn out on your soul.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/blogs/static/gaetano/satan.jpg

red
03-22-2008, 07:05 PM

calm down, nobody said you are misguided. I think what they are suggesting is that you are the Antichrist.

:twisted:

oh, well thats more like it

RashanGary
03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Jesus, I pray (for self preservation reasons) that you never give control to the black people :) No really, that pastor scares the shit out of me. I feel like I'm going to be beaten and tortured for being white.

All I know is there can't be one, not ONE white person in that church.

Harlan Huckleby
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
My favorite teaching moment:

"The Romans were rich. The Romans were Italians which means they were European which means they were White."

Lurker64
03-22-2008, 09:52 PM
As a long-haired hippy weirdo, this thread makes me uncomfortable.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Unless you have another source, I'll trust the article.

Atari Bigby was a standout athlete for a Florida high school football powerhouse and he wanted nothing more than to stay in his hometown and play for the mighty Miami Hurricanes.

But a few years ago, the Miami football program had an unofficial policy that was strictly reinforced. All incoming freshmen had to shave their heads.

You are missing the point. The point isn't whether Bigby was interested in UM, but rather that they were interested in him

If he was a Miami caliber player, how do you think he wound up at UCF? You think FSU, UF or any of the other myriad of good programs woulda let him attend UCF? Get serious.

RashanGary
03-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Jennings got let go by Michigan. He ended up at Western Michigan. It doesn't mean he wasn't big time player. Just means Jennings put his eggs in one basket and then it fell through. Maybe Bigby did the same thing.

red
03-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Jennings got let go by Michigan. He ended up at Western Michigan. It doesn't mean he wasn't big time player. Just means Jennings put his eggs in one basket and then it fell through. Maybe Bigby did the same thing.

where the hell did you get this?

jennings is a k-zoo guy all the way. born there, grew up there, went to k-zoo central then went to western

i've never once heard he was let go by U of M

MadtownPacker
03-23-2008, 09:37 AM

where the hell did you get this?

jennings is a k-zoo guy all the way. born there, grew up there, went to k-zoo central then went to western

i've never once heard he was let go by U of MI think JH is right. I dont remember the story but I think it was a JSO one that talked about his religious faith.

RashanGary
03-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Jennings had a scholorship lined up at UM. They dropped him at the last moment and no big schools had scholarships left. He ended up at W. Michigan.

RashanGary
03-23-2008, 10:01 AM
http://www.kffl.com/article.php/47733/160

The way Jenning said it, he was happy to be at UM and didn't go searching much further. After they ditched him, he was left high and dry at a point when scholarships were already given out by just about every big school. This article touched on it, but there was more in depth coverage about it when Jennings was first drafted.

b bulldog
03-23-2008, 11:57 AM
85 rubs oils over his body before games if I remember correctly

red
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.kffl.com/article.php/47733/160

The way Jenning said it, he was happy to be at UM and didn't go searching much further. After they ditched him, he was left high and dry at a point when scholarships were already given out by just about every big school. This article touched on it, but there was more in depth coverage about it when Jennings was first drafted.

what kffl says makes a lot more sense to me. he had a verbal commitment, but never got offered a scholorship from u of m.

the way your previous post made it sound was that he was there and they let him go for whatever reason, which boggled my mind because he's always been a great ball player and a model citizen, so they would have no reason to kick him off the team

RashanGary
03-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Jennings had a different story of how it went. I think he always dreamed of playing at UM so after they had a verbal agreement he stopped searching. He thought he could have caught on with a big school if they didn't ditch him last minute like they did. And the point is, how do you know Bigby wasn't similar. Bigby has talent. All the schools and NFL teams that passed on him made a big mistake. Same with Jennings. It happens.

twoseven
03-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Harlan - I think you ar better off knowing what this guy looks like cuz you are gonna go see him when the lights turn out on your soul.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/blogs/static/gaetano/satan.jpg
Guy looks more like he works at Lucifer's Burgers and Tap

cpk1994
03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
according to SI, players wouldn't be required to cut their hair, they could simply tuck it in:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/26/bc.fbn.nfl.hair.ap/index.html

Guiness
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
what cpk said - the proposed rule states that the hair must be tucked up inside the helmet. Sportsline has another article on it.

I remember reading about (I think it was) Harris keeping his hair tucked into a cap for a couple of years in college because he didn't think the coach would approve.

Flowing-hair issue on agenda for owners meetings

March 26, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports