PDA

View Full Version : Changes in length of pre/regular season?

GrnBay007
03-21-2008, 03:02 PM
This is something that has been discussed on this site before. I think many would really like to see a shorter pre season....longer regular season schedule.
------------------

For years, the NFL has wrestled with how to make the preseason more compelling. Now it’s about to intensify those debates.

One of the topics that will be debated at this month’s meetings will be how to make the preseason more pertinent.

NFL owners and executives will debate the merits of shortening the preseason, lengthening the regular season, or even making the preseason count as a tiebreaker toward the postseason.

All of these ideas are preliminary, but they are being debated behind closed doors. They could generate more momentum later this month and be enacted as soon as the 2008 season.

But players frequently have complained about the length of the preseason, fans have hardly been happy about it, and the league is now exploring whether it can do something about it.

Jimx29
03-21-2008, 04:13 PM
One and done in the preseason and make the regular season 20 weeks long without that PITA bye week 8-)

KYPack
03-21-2008, 05:15 PM
20 Regular season games, 2 Pre-season.

Right now, the first and 4th games are really zeroes.

Some teams might want to play a "controlled scrimmage" with other teams to help cut the rooks.

20 Regular games would help 'em extort more $ on the TV contracts. Thye've been slow to cut the Pre-season games because they make so much money on 'em. The increased TV $ would off-set that.

GrnBay007
03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
20 Regular season games, 2 Pre-season.

Right now, the first and 4th games are really zeroes.

Some teams might want to play a "controlled scrimmage" with other teams to help cut the rooks.

20 Regular games would help 'em extort more $ on the TV contracts. Thye've been slow to cut the Pre-season games because they make so much money on 'em. The increased TV $ would off-set that.

I agree. The pre-season games are really no more than scrimmages anyway....why enforce it on teams and have the risk of injury before the season even begins.

2 pre-season is plenty.

RashanGary
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I like the idea of two preseason games too.

If they are going to increase it to a 20 week season I think two bye weeks would be better so teams don't get too run down.

MJZiggy
03-21-2008, 06:51 PM

They'd still sell out Lambeau for that.

CaliforniaCheez
03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
The NFL never kicks off the season before Labor Day anymore. The Season now drags into February instead of getting done in January.

I for one pay attention to preseason games and notice some players developing over the course of 4 weeks.

The 4 weeks was a comprise from when their used to be 6 preseason games. Timing and getting the body ready for contact takes time. 2 weeks is not enough. There are far too many screw ups in the 3rd and 4th preseason games to say players are ready.

Preseason games are very profitable. Guys are playing for $3000 a week.
Ticket prices are the same. Consessions are similar. The Union would take a huge chunk of any additional regular season games that owners now get.

If you don't like game 1 and game 4 now would it be different if it was preason games 1 and 2?

There are game situations where skill repetition is need that can't be duplicated in practice. Remember cut blocks in the zone blocking scheme.

I am happy with 4 preseason games.

wpony
03-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I actually liked the old days with the longer preseason you did not have to play your starters as long but it gave you longer to find out about your draft picks and undrafted players,
You could devolpe them into better backups right away if the situation called plus find players that might never be seen in a shorter preseason.

Green Bud Packer
03-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Hope the N.F.L. moves on this idea. 2 pre season games and 18 regular season games makes the most sense to me. these guys make mucho dinero. lets have them play for real more.

red
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
having preseason games count towards a tie breaker is one of the worst ideas i've ever heard about

the regular season is just fine the way it is, just cut down the preseason

MJZiggy
03-21-2008, 09:27 PM
LESS FOOTBALL??? :shock:

GBRulz
03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
2 pre-season games is fine. Another thing that needs a major overhaul is the Pro Bowl.

GrnBay007
03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice siggy GBR!