PDA

View Full Version : fullbacks

Harlan Huckleby
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
i think our fullbacks kinda stink. your comments?

Bretsky
03-21-2008, 06:34 PM
They are slightly below average to average. Better than the OG play. It would not surprise me if TT grabs one via the draft.

Harlan Huckleby
03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
On the plus side they are young, maybe will get better.

Minus side - can you teach pass-catching? They are no threat downfield.

CaliforniaCheez
03-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I disagree Harlan. Korey Hall caught the ball well. You know he will improve.

ND72
03-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Korey Hall also blocked well. I heard Edgar Bennet speak and he said Corey Hall graded out at a 95% successful block rate. And I have to agree, there were many games were I specifically watched where and what our FB was doing, and he did a fantastic job ESPECIALLY since he was a rookie, and for the first time in his life he played as a Fullback.

RashanGary
03-21-2008, 07:42 PM
I thought they both blocked pretty well and I agree that Corey Hall showed the abilty to catch the football. They're only getting better too.

b bulldog
03-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Both did pretty well and both should improve with more experience

KYPack
03-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Hall came on pretty strong, Kuhn did average to below average. Kuhn probably made his contribution on ST.

I could see Hall getting better over time. Kuhn might not have a lot of upside.

I'd still like to see one of the backs be a combo guy. Mike Alstott and TJ Duckett really helped their offenses by delivering the lead block AND being punishing runners. When the D has to account for the FB, it sets up both the other back and the receivers, especially the TE.

I know that's a rare bird nowadays, but I'd like to see us snare one of 'em from somewhere.

Wasn't that kid from WVA supposed to be a running fullback?

Brando19
03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I know I'm showing favortism....but I'd love the Packers to draft Owen Schmitt out of WVU. The kid's a beast at fullback. He was a walk on at West Virginia and became a star, setting Bowl records. I believe they could get him in the 5th or 6th round. I'd also love the Packers to draft Steve Slaton, RB out of WVU. He's small...but he's a gamebreaker who had an off season last year.

Merlin
03-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Korey Hall did an admirable job this past season. I think he will get better. Other then that, do we even have another fullback? Last I knew it was some no name and whoever that was, wasn't worth watching. If we don't have a solid fullback this season, Rodgers will be out by game 3.

Bretsky
03-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Korey Hall did an admirable job this past season. I think he will get better. Other then that, do we even have another fullback? Last I knew it was some no name and whoever that was, wasn't worth watching. If we don't have a solid fullback this season, Rodgers will be out by game 3.

We picked up Chad Kuehn from waivers; he was alright

ND72
03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I know I'm showing favortism....but I'd love the Packers to draft Owen Schmitt out of WVU. The kid's a beast at fullback. He was a walk on at West Virginia and became a star, setting Bowl records. I believe they could get him in the 5th or 6th round. I'd also love the Packers to draft Steve Slaton, RB out of WVU. He's small...but he's a gamebreaker who had an off season last year.

He's not really considered a blocking fullback though, at least from what I've read.

Lurker64
03-22-2008, 04:31 PM

He's not really considered a blocking fullback though, at least from what I've read.

From what I've read about Schmitt he's "an outstanding blocker", largely because he's very large and he's crazy. The knocks on him are that he's not a natural athlete and his speed/quickness are marginal.

Do you need something other than being "an outstanding blocker" to be a blocking FB? I honestly don't know that much about FB play. Is there a difference in the FB type you want to block to open holes for the RB versus the FB type that you want to pass block?

Harlan Huckleby
03-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Korey Hall did an admirable job this past season.

We picked up Chad Kuehn from waivers; he was alright

I believe those guys started at different times of the season, and not because of injury. I don't have impression that one was much better than the other.

ND72
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM

From what I've read about Schmitt he's "an outstanding blocker", largely because he's very large and he's crazy. The knocks on him are that he's not a natural athlete and his speed/quickness are marginal.

Do you need something other than being "an outstanding blocker" to be a blocking FB? I honestly don't know that much about FB play. Is there a difference in the FB type you want to block to open holes for the RB versus the FB type that you want to pass block?

Interesting...what I wrote I actually meant to make a question, not a statement. I like Schmitt a lot, I just don't know much about him. The way we run our offense, I think we need more of a run blocking, pass catching FB in our offense personally from watching what McCarthy does with his guys. I still think Korey Hall will be just fine though.

RashanGary
03-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Korey Hall played OK, but he was workign on all brand new technique adn trying to memorize an offensive playbook for the first time since highschool or pop warner. I'm sure it was a steep learning curve.

Every day, as we talk about this, he's working with his coaches to make that awkward technique natural. By the time TC comes around, he will be natural in all of the things he does. He'll be able to focus on the fine points of the offense.

For as raw as Corey Hall was, it's amazing he played as well as he did. I wouldn't be suprised if we have our next 10 year FB on the roster right now. I could see him being one of the players that takes a huge leap in year two (and he was already servicable in the worst possible conditions in year 1)

Brando19
03-22-2008, 08:43 PM

Interesting...what I wrote I actually meant to make a question, not a statement. I like Schmitt a lot, I just don't know much about him. The way we run our offense, I think we need more of a run blocking, pass catching FB in our offense personally from watching what McCarthy does with his guys. I still think Korey Hall will be just fine though.

Every game I watched..Schmitt blocked like crazy. He's an all around blocking, running, and catching fullback. If you watched this year's bowl game with WVU/Oklahoma...you'd see the way this guy plays. He had a record run for a TD and broke his nose...but kept playing like he wasn't hurt...the guy's got heart. He broke down and cried at the end of the game during the interview (like Favre did last year against the Bears) and said he hates leaving his team.

What about Slaton? Anyone besides me like him?

DonHutson
03-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I dunno, maybe it's just me but I liked our fullbacks.

Hall was just kind of coasting for awhile, but getting Kuhn some playing time seemed to really light a fire under Hall. Both of them did some serious LB thumping down the stretch. In the weekly JS 'Studs and Duds' threads I remember calling them out for praise several times late in the season.

I believe the improved blocking of the FB tandem, along with the OL finally getting the hang of the intricacies of the zone system, really contributed to the emergence of the running game. And yeah, Grant didn't hurt either but it wasn't all him.

Would it be nice if one or the other of these guys could contribute something to the passing game? Sure, considering Grant doesn't seem to be a great receiver either. Hall was a LB until last year, maybe he'll improve. And you'd like Hall to be closer to #250 than #230, but an offseason in the weight room, with the understanding that he is now a FB, should help him bulk up.

Overall, I'm happy with those two and I love the competition between them.

run pMc
03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I think Hall played well considering it was his first year at FB and he was a rookie. I don't think he dropped any of the 6 passes thrown his way. The offseason should help both Hall and Kuhn. I'd harldy consider them top 10 FBs, and I didn't see much from them as blow-em-up blockers.

They're just OK.

IMO drafting a FB before the 6th would be a bit of a reach. It's kind of a dying position that is replaced with street FA and late round picks.