PDA

View Full Version : A Statue of Max

KYPack
03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
The Star Tribune had this article.

Like Max, it's a little goofy, so he would've approved.

"The late Max McGee: A man of fine mettle, to be honored in bronze
By C.J., Star Tribune

A piece of work of A Piece of Work is one way to describe plans for a Max McGee relief sculpture to be created by Bill Mack.

A bronze sculpture of the former Packer, who died in October after falling off the roof of his Deephaven home while clearing leaves, has been commissioned by his widow, Denise McGee. "He was such a comic. I can only hope he would like to be honored, remembered in this way. In his ever-present sense of humor he would say, Can he make my nose smaller? He could never answer a question, or anything, seriously. He would always come up with a quip. He was the best at one-liners," she said Thursday. "I do know he would be flattered that Bill Mack is doing the piece because he loved Bill's work. And we do have one of Bill's pieces in our home. He is so extremely talented."

The most prominent part of the piece will be inspired from a favorite photo of Max, seen above. In the corner will be a representation of McGee's place in NFL annals as the receiver who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl history. Reproductions of the sculpture will be sold to anyone interested, with part of the proceeds going to the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes. Two sculptures will be hung in the Original Pancake Houses in Eden Prairie and Edina that are owned by Denise, who said she may open a third spot down the road.

"He had such a regular presence in our restaurant in Edina," she said. "I've gotten so many letters and comments. People would see him there and they would approach him; he was so gracious and so conversational and gave each person more time than they expected, in just chatting with them."

Denise credits Karen Harris for coming up with the idea to do a sculpture. "Max was like best friends with my husband, Steve," Karen said. "Max had such a HUGE fan base. ... Women were still throwing their underwear at him at age 70!

"Steve met Max at OPH every morning for breakfast and probably most lunches. They were steady buddies. Steve was on Max's board for juvenile diabetes. They played golf. In fact, he was with Max the morning he died."

I asked Denise whether she has forgiven Max for being on that roof.

"You know you can't turn back the clock," Denise said with a laugh. "That's all I can say. I guess he was determined to be a help. I told him before, 'One of these times you're going to hurt yourself.' Never did I think it would kill him. It's just one of those things."

A pancake joint in Minneapolis?

Sure, Max would've dug it.

One of 'em outta go to a pancake joint in GB, tho.

Pacopete4
03-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Minneapolis should really stop.. fuck them, max would say the same.. ur vikes fans, stop reporting on us...

Lurker64
03-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Minneapolis should really stop.. fuck them, max would say the same.. ur vikes fans, stop reporting on us...

There are a lot of Packer fans who live in the Twin Cities; the St. Paul paper regularly devotes a page purely to Packer coverage during NFL season. There are a lot of Packer fans everywhere to be honest. Neither Green Bay nor Wisconsin have a monopoly on loving the Packers.

KYPack
03-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Some of the most serious Packer fans are from Iowa.

I've met a few packer fans down here who are totally rabid & they've never been to WI, let alone Lambeau.