PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Gray signed by Texans

mngolf19
03-23-2008, 09:23 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle, Gray will sign on Monday for 1yr $645k.

digitaldean
03-23-2008, 09:25 PM
According to PFT.com (for what it's worth..)

Rosenfels may get traded to Minnesota yet. Otherwise, it's puzzling he signed with them. He would be a 3rd stringer there.

Here at least he'd be the #2 and have a shot at playing in injury or Rodgers getting benched.

mngolf19
03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
According to PFT.com (for what it's worth..)

Rosenfels may get traded to Minnesota yet. Otherwise, it's puzzling he signed with them. He would be a 3rd stringer there.

Here at least he'd be the #2 and have a shot at playing in injury or Rodgers getting benched.

They quoted the coach as saying he wanted 3 QB's that were capable this year. After Schaub went down they didn't have a capable 3rd.

Lurker64
03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Interesting, the Packers probably couldn't have been too high on Gray since I'm pretty sure we could have beat that offer. Also, he comes into a position in Houston where he has to compete with Rosenfels to be the backup (unless the Texans are serious about trading him), whereas he'd come to Green Bay as a solid #2 and he wouldn't have to compete with anybody except a rookie.

DonHutson
03-23-2008, 09:30 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle, Gray will sign on Monday for 1yr $645k.

Credit the Texans for being proactive. They ran out of former Packers to sign, so now they're working on future Packers.

Well, we obviously didn't want him that badly. I think we may have been able to squeeze that monster deal under our salary cap.

:roll:

Whatever, one's as good as another at this point.

MJZiggy
03-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Great. Now the Texans are getting our castoffs before we even have a chance to cast them off.

GrnBay007
03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Shall we call him Tighty Ted......or was the guy not worth the time?

mngolf19
03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Shall we call him Tighty Ted......or was the guy not worth the time?

My question is, who is worth the time at this point? Both the Vikes and Pack need a vet backup and there isn't squat out there anymore.

digitaldean
03-23-2008, 09:39 PM
May have to wait for the June 1 cuts for anyone of note to be available...

Lurker64
03-23-2008, 09:51 PM
I think that while Gray might have been the best veteran backup available at this point, he might not be a great fit for the offense McCarthy wants to run. From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to have experience in the West Coast Offense which both the Packers and the Vikings (in theory) run now. As I understand it the WCO is fairly mentally demanding for a QB and isn't really something that most players can pick up in a single offseason.

gbpackfan
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Gray being the best of the bunch is like picking out you're dog's best looking turd to eat. They're all still shit. Who cares. A-Rod is our guy. Any vet. back-up will do.

Charles Woodson
03-23-2008, 09:57 PM
damn i posted this in the NFL news thread cause i figured no one really cared about this guy :roll:

KYPack
03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Curious he would sign for the vet minimum.

PFT is speculating a Texan trade to move him up.

Seems like we'd give him more than the min.

Who knows, we need a vet back-up and they are basically all gone, for jnow.

Lurker64
03-23-2008, 10:34 PM
He probably got the vet minimum because NFL front offices know things about him that we don't. After all, there's probably a reason that Jacksonville didn't make much of an effort to resign him to sit behind Garrard. I mean, they don't have a lot of stars in the making at QB right now do they? Cleo Lemon and Todd Bouman aren't going to set the NFL on fire any time soon.

He won some games for the Jags when called in after some guys got hurt, but then again that was for a Jacksonville team that wins games 10-7 with alarming regularity, they don't call for a lot out of the QB usually.