PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Named Executive of the Year

The Shadow
03-25-2008, 09:32 AM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/03/25/thompson-named-sporting-news-top-nfl-executive.aspx

Gee. It would be sweet to hear the reaction from several select Ted-Bashers now..........

MadtownPacker
03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I have backed him from day 1 but he aint shit until he has won a Superbowl trophy.

Only championships count, right Shadow?

The Shadow
03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I have backed him from day 1 but he aint shit until he has won a Superbowl trophy.

Of course.
You are beginning to learn, Mad!

Pack-man
03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I did not back TT from the start. I am a believer now! Well deserved award!

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Gee. It would be sweet to hear the reaction from several select Ted-Bashers now..........

It'll just be more of the same ole, same ole.........but Randy Moss......but he's cheap.........but he ran Brett out of town..........but he can't find any guards.........yadda, yadda, yadda.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
It'll just be more of the same ole, same ole.........but Randy Moss......but he's cheap.........but he ran Brett out of town..........but he can't find any guards.........yadda, yadda, yadda.OK already you TT bobbler, we get it. I think the direction he is going is the right one but until TT builds a team that wins the big one he is on the hook.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
It'll just be more of the same ole, same ole.........but Randy Moss......but he's cheap.........but he ran Brett out of town..........but he can't find any guards.........yadda, yadda, yadda.OK already you TT bobbler, we get it. I think the direction he is going is the right one but until TT builds a team that wins the big one he is on the hook.

That is really an absurd criteria.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM

That is really an absurd criteria.Why is that? He is a GM! That is his only job! Great draft picks are like him throwing TDs, it will win games but he still needs to put it all together.

That fact you think it is absurd doesnt make you a moron. It just makes you pathetic.

HarveyWallbangers
03-25-2008, 01:55 PM
A lot of really good GMs don't win Super Bowls. There are 32 other teams. Even a good GM would have no better than 50/50 odds of winning a Super Bowl in 10 years. Luck plays a role.

People are spoiled. Our GMs gave us like 5 winning years, 2 playoff berths, and 1 division title from 1968-1992.

My criteria is that he puts the team in position to compete for a championship consistently. It's up to the players, coaches, and luck to get them over the top. If he does that, he's done a good job. If they win it all, then they'll name a street after him.

Look at this year. Is there anybody that thinks Thompson didn't put as much talent on the field as the Giants GM did? He did that two years after 4-12.

Now, that was nice, but that doesn't mean he's a good GM yet. He has to put the team in that type of position consistently.

Zool
03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I would say the mark of a good GM is one who has his team in position to compete for the playoffs for an extended period of time. As was said 1/32s of the teams in the NFL win the SB each year. If Rodgers pans out and the packers win 1-2 playoff games per year the next 4-5 years, that seems pretty damned successful to me.

wist43
03-25-2008, 02:18 PM

TT did a good job getting the team to this point, but I have zero faith that he can bring home the trophy.

I too come from the "only championships count" crowd... 3-4 years of floundering around with Rodgers; 3-4 years trying to find his successor - or at least grooming his successor... that's 6-8 years right there.

Bottom line - the Packers offensive system is completely and utterly incapable of winning a championship w/o an all-pro calibur QB. Favre played at that level last year and they still didn't make it...

Does anyone really - REALLY - expect Rodgers to outperform Brett and take us to the SB???

Congrats to TT for winning the award, but awards and slaps on the back don't win championships.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-25-2008, 02:25 PM

That is really an absurd criteria.Why is that? He is a GM! That is his only job! Great draft picks are like him throwing TDs, it will win games but he still needs to put it all together.

That fact you think it is absurd doesnt make you a moron. It just makes you pathetic.

What is absurd is saying that he is on the hook till they win the Superbowl. That criteria is ridiculous.

So, if he builds a team that wins 10-13 games a year for the next 10 years...he is on the hook? LOL

So, i guess Bill Polian was some kinda loser till the Colts won the SB. Lay off the meth, it is frying your brain.

Packnut
03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
At this point, Thompson is in a possible no win situation, some of his own making. I think one can take the statements made since the Favre retirement by certain people and build a good case that Teddy was and is not sorry to see Brett leave. Czarnecki at Fox sports mentions the possiblity again in his latest article.

This is understandable. Rodgers is his guy and in order to make the point that he was brilliant in drafting Rodgers, A-Rod has to play now. Everyone has an ego and to claim Thompson has none is not only foolish, but ignorant as well. However, if for the sake of arguement, we agree Favre based some of his decision to retire on Thompson's lack of support or enthusiasm for Brett coming back, then the fault lies with #04, not the GM.

Thompson is not the genious some make him out to be, nor is he responsible for all the evils of the world that others would like us to believe. He has clearly made more good choices than bad ones.

This season I believe will be very interesting for several reasons. I don't believe Teddy laid awake at night thinking of ways to make the legend go away. However, I also believe he did nothing to encourage Favre to come back and that might turn out to be a critical mistake by Mr Thompson.

I think we can all agree that with Favre back, the Packers would have been the odds on favorite to win the NFC. Teddy would again reap the benefits of having a HOF QB who makes the Thompson regime look very smart. Without Favre though, Teddy will now have to stand all on his own. Rodgers is HIS QB. What some here will soon learn is that Brett made the players around him better than they really might be.

How many times did Favre not just complete the pass, but hit his WR in perfect stride allowing the much coveted YAC? Will A-rod be able to do the same? No one can argue that some of the success the run game had in the 2nd half was because teams feared the Favre arm more than the Grant legs. Much easier to run when the box ain't stacked.

Also, ya gotta believe Favre's retiring will have a serious impact on the offensive scheme. Rodgers will get killed running the 5 wide set because he does'nt have the experience to detect where the open man will be or know where the pressure is coming from. Teams will not fear our passing game and we will see defenses that will concentrate on stopping Grant. It's a different ball game now. Another factor that some were blind to is just how much Favre made our line's protection skills look better than they are with his ability to escape, slide and evade. We will find out just how good the middle of our line really is.

Without #04, Ted will have to stand more on his own this season. It is very possible, Rodgers plays well and the team around him does'nt miss a beat. It is also possible that Thompson will wish he had done more to get the legend back and realize his life was much easier with #04 under center.......

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I think GM's can do a lot to put their team in position to contend. After that, it's up to the players and coaches.

In other words, I agree with Harv.

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Thompson is not the genious some make him out to be, nor is he responsible for all the evils of the world that others would like us to believe. He has clearly made more good choices than bad ones.

Ok, this sounds a little bit like revisionist history to me. You and Merlin were duking it out last summer for the number 1 spot in the I HATE TED fanclub.

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Everyone has an ego and to claim Thompson has none is not only foolish, but ignorant as well.

I don't know of anyone here who claimed he had no ego. The disconnect was with those of you who claimed he had a massive ego, and was trying to remake the franchise in his own image.

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Bottom line - the Packers offensive system is completely and utterly incapable of winning a championship w/o an all-pro calibur QB. Favre played at that level last year and they still didn't make it...

Yeah, they still didn't make it because Favre did not play at that level against the Giants. And they probably could have won if he had played better. Most say he got badly outplayed by Manning in that game.

I give Brett plenty of credit for his role in getting the team to that point, but he played lousy against the Giants.

vince
03-25-2008, 03:25 PM
A lot of really good GMs don't win Super Bowls. There are 32 other teams. Even a good GM would have no better than 50/50 odds of winning a Super Bowl in 10 years. Luck plays a role.

People are spoiled. Our GMs gave us like 5 winning years, 2 playoff berths, and 1 division title from 1968-1992.

My criteria is that he puts the team in position to compete for a championship consistently. It's up to the players, coaches, and luck to get them over the top. If he does that, he's done a good job. If they win it all, then they'll name a street after him.

Look at this year. Is there anybody that thinks Thompson didn't put as much talent on the field as the Giants GM did? He did that two years after 4-12.

Now, that was nice, but that doesn't mean he's a good GM yet. He has to put the team in that type of position consistently.This is 100% correct in my opinion. I would add though, that I personally have no doubt that Thompson will indeed continue to put the team in position to win consistently. Having the youngest team in the league with the greatest amount of cap flexibility and being one bad pass away from the Super Bowl is a rather strong indicator of the future.

The Shadow
03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
At this point, Thompson is in a possible no win situation, some of his own making. I think one can take the statements made since the Favre retirement by certain people and build a good case that Teddy was and is not sorry to see Brett leave. Czarnecki at Fox sports mentions the possiblity again in his latest article.

This is understandable. Rodgers is his guy and in order to make the point that he was brilliant in drafting Rodgers, A-Rod has to play now. Everyone has an ego and to claim Thompson has none is not only foolish, but ignorant as well. However, if for the sake of arguement, we agree Favre based some of his decision to retire on Thompson's lack of support or enthusiasm for Brett coming back, then the fault lies with #04, not the GM.

This season I believe will be very interesting for several reasons. I don't believe Teddy laid awake at night thinking of ways to make the legend go away. However, I also believe he did nothing to encourage Favre to come back and that might turn out to be a critical mistake by Mr Thompson.

I think we can all agree that with Favre back, the Packers would have been the odds on favorite to win the NFC. Teddy would again reap the benefits of having a HOF QB who makes the Thompson regime look very smart. Without Favre though, Teddy will now have to stand all on his own. Rodgers is HIS QB. What some here will soon learn is that Brett made the players around him better than they really might be.

How many times did Favre not just complete the pass, but hit his WR in perfect stride allowing the much coveted YAC? Will A-rod be able to do the same? No one can argue that some of the success the run game had in the 2nd half was because teams feared the Favre arm more than the Grant legs. Much easier to run when the box ain't stacked.

Also, ya gotta believe Favre's retiring will have a serious impact on the offensive scheme. Rodgers will get killed running the 5 wide set because he does'nt have the experience to detect where the open man will be or know where the pressure is coming from. Teams will not fear our passing game and we will see defenses that will concentrate on stopping Grant. It's a different ball game now. Another factor that some were blind to is just how much Favre made our line's protection skills look better than they are with his ability to escape, slide and evade. We will find out just how good the middle of our line really is.

Without #04, Ted will have to stand more on his own this season. It is very possible, Rodgers plays well and the team around him does'nt miss a beat. It is also possible that Thompson will wish he had done more to get the legend back and realize his life was much easier with #04 under center.......

He put #4 in position to win a Super Bowl.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I think GM's can do a lot to put their team in position to contend. After that, it's up to the players and coaches.

Or you agree with me, who called Madtown on this.

I'm not just just funny, i'm smart as well!!

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 04:02 PM

Ok, I agree with Ty too. And Harv. But Harv was first.

I also disagree with Burrito Boy.

sharpe1027
03-25-2008, 05:02 PM

The Packer offense is predicated on a heavy dose of short passes with (hopefully) a heavy mix of run plays. I don't see why you think it is more difficult than other NFL offenses. It would seem simpler for a QB then say the Colt's offense, which has a heavy dose of down-the-field precision and timing routes. Relatively speaking, I would say that the Packer's current offense is QB friendly. Maybe you think that because their offense sometimes ends up having a lot of pass attempts during the game that QB must be an all-pro? That would be a pretty simplistic analysis.

Maybe Rodgers will fail miserably, but I don't think it will be because he needs to be an all-pro caliber QB to not fail.

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 05:07 PM

The Packer offense is predicated on a heavy dose of short passes with (hopefully) a heavy mix of run plays. I don't see why you think it is more difficult than other NFL offenses. It would seem simpler for a QB then say the Colt's offense, which has a heavy dose of down-the-field precision and timing routes. Relatively speaking, I would say that the Packer's current offense is QB friendly. Maybe you think that because their offense sometimes ends up having a lot of pass attempts during the game that QB must be an all-pro? That would be a pretty simplistic analysis.

Maybe Rodgers will fail miserably, but I don't think it will be because he needs to be an all-pro caliber QB to not fail.

Great post. Welcome to Rats!

The Shadow
03-25-2008, 05:17 PM

Great post. Welcome to Rats!

What?? A new reasonable poster?
What is happening around here?

RashanGary
03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm very interested in this up coming season. I'm a big believer in Ted Thompson, but I recognize there is a chance Favre really was the key to this team. This season will be very interesting.

Congrats to TT though. He made a lot of tough decisions and took a lot of flack. He deserves this for being unaffraid and committed to what he believes.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-25-2008, 08:14 PM

NO, i was first. I said it was an absurd criteria.

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 08:26 PM

NO, i was first. I said it was an absurd criteria.

Yeah, well I didn't agree with that part. Thus, you lost your spot in line to Harv. Deal with it box bum. :lol:

MadtownPacker
03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Now, that was nice, but that doesn't mean he's a good GM yet. He has to put the team in that type of position consistently.You gusy are agreeing with Harvey? This Harvey?? Cuz it looks like he is agreeing with me. I like Thompson. I dont have expectations this season but I can see the big picture and that is a team on the rise. The QB change is not the end of the world. That's if the new QB is sufficient of course. But TT has a long way to go before he is considered elite. Like 5 years.

Bretsky
03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Congrats to TT

IMO TT has done a very good job; I'n not sure there is a GM I'd rather have for a rebuiling project

I also though the Giants GM was very well deserving of the award

I also agree with Mad; absurd or not TT won't get the glorious manlove from me until he allows me to witness my second Green Bay Packer Championship

RashanGary
03-25-2008, 09:53 PM
A great team is built over years of good decisions. The Giants had a young QB who arrived and an amazing Dline that was healthy and played out of this world in the post season. That was not done by Reese. That was done by the guy before. It's the same as giving credit to Sherman for taking over good teams as a GM. It's the same as discrediting Thompson for taking over junk.

YOu don't look at waht a GM does in his first year. you look at what he does in years 3 and on. Those are his teams. The first year is the last GM's team. I've never seen evidence that comes even remotely close to proving anything else.

Kiwon
03-26-2008, 03:51 AM
What a difference a year makes! TT's gettin' love from all sides now.

A year ago some Packer backers were getting the pitchforks and rope ready to barbecue him ala Frankenstein-style. Now he's The Architect.

The Leaper
03-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Bottom line - the Packers offensive system is completely and utterly incapable of winning a championship w/o an all-pro calibur QB. Favre played at that level last year and they still didn't make it.

Yawn.

The system was crafted uniquely to a first ballot HOF QB because that is exactly who had been taking snaps for 15 years, Wist.

I expect the offense is going to look quite a bit different in 2008. Rodgers is a more mobile QB. That will allow McCarthy to really attack those Cover 2 defenses that were built exclusively to combat an elite pocket passer like Favre who rarely pulls down the ball and scrambles. Opposing LBs will have far more to think about in 2008.

Patler
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
MM has always said he favors a more traditional west coast offense. For years and years the argument was that the west coast offense didn't require an elite QB, instead, it MADE average QBs look elite with very short range, safe passes resulting in high QB ratings.

What will be interesting is to see if Rodgers is given the same degree of flexibility to determine the play at the line of scrimmage as Favre was given the last two seasons. I suspect not, at least initially.

Packnut
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM

Ok, this sounds a little bit like revisionist history to me. You and Merlin were duking it out last summer for the number 1 spot in the I HATE TED fanclub.

Wrong again, but what new? If one critical statement is made against Thompson, then the Teddy crowd labels that person as a Thompson basher. It does'nt matter if that same person also credits him for the good moves he's made.

Let's see now, I ripped Thompson for not doing more to surround Favre with more talent because I stated we were "closer to the SB than most thought". The Teddy crowd slammed me saying we were not that close and why waste money when it would'nt help? Now those SAME people who stated that want us to believe Thompson was soley responsible for last season.

I also was slammed by the Teddy crowd for saying the REASON we were closer to the SB was because we had #04. How'd that one turn out? :lol:

I condemed the Harrell pick not on Harrell's talent or potential, but because we had a greater need. There were a few of us who stated that Nelson would be a great pick. Well, he had a very good rookie season, while we have guys who could'nt cover a TE if his leg was broken. We still have a need at saftey. Rouse is raw and Bigby can hit but he can't cover. We'll see how this one works out.

I could go on and on and cite more examples but what's the point? The Thompson crowd here believes what they wanna believe and God forbid anyone disagrees with them........... :roll:

Joemailman
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Wist, you must understand, is our resident pessimist. In The World According To Wist, every Packers win of recent vintage has been due almost exclusively to the brilliance of Favre. Now that Favre is gone, all is lost. At least Wist is consistent though. Have to give him that.

Scott Campbell
03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
......I stated we were "closer to the SB than most thought".

I stand by my revisionist history statement. I doubt there was anyone here more wrong about last season than you were. I remember you calling the James Jones selection Ted's "I'm smarter than you pick". Well this prestigious award is the NFL's way of handing Ted the "He Is Smarter Than Packnut" trophy.

Don't make me go digging through old threads to expose all your foolishness. I think we both know what I'd find.

Scott Campbell
03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Wist, you must understand, is our resident pessimist. In The World According To Wist, every Packers win of recent vintage has been due almost exclusively to the brilliance of Favre. Now that Favre is gone, all is lost. At least Wist is consistent though. Have to give him that.

Yup. Wist is the guy that thinks the Globtrotters have holes everywhere, and no chance whatsoever to beat the Washington Generals.

But he's a great poster.

Scott Campbell
03-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Wrong again, but what new? If one critical statement is made against Thompson, then the Teddy crowd labels that person as a Thompson basher. It does'nt matter if that same person also credits him for the good moves he's made.

Let's see now, I ripped Thompson for not doing more to surround Favre with more talent because I stated we were "closer to the SB than most thought". The Teddy crowd slammed me saying we were not that close and why waste money when it would'nt help? Now those SAME people who stated that want us to believe Thompson was soley responsible for last season.

I also was slammed by the Teddy crowd for saying the REASON we were closer to the SB was because we had #04. How'd that one turn out? :lol:

I condemed the Harrell pick not on Harrell's talent or potential, but because we had a greater need. There were a few of us who stated that Nelson would be a great pick. Well, he had a very good rookie season, while we have guys who could'nt cover a TE if his leg was broken. We still have a need at saftey. Rouse is raw and Bigby can hit but he can't cover. We'll see how this one works out.

I could go on and on and cite more examples but what's the point? The Thompson crowd here believes what they wanna believe and God forbid anyone disagrees with them........... :roll:

You could write a book on how wrong SOME people have been........

Chapter 1?

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8163&highlight=packnut

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=72353&highlight=#72353
I hope those few TT backers out there see the light. This guy is brutal from his coaching choice to player evaluating. There is not 1 damn thing that TT is good at as a GM.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=71952&highlight=#71952
Well after watching parts of all today's games, we can honestly start debating who our #1 pick should be next season… I've watched the other teams who are in the running for the #1 pick. Buffalo, NYJ and even the Niners are way ahead of us talent and coaching wise. …There really is'nt gonna be anything else to discuss Packer wise this season so why not try something positive? Now things can change but IF Green stays healthy and shows he can be our #1 back next season, then we gotta go with Mr Irish. Brady has the potential to be the next Brett Favre. Now if Green can't handle it then we gotta go RB and there will be a bunch to choose from. Ok, let the great debate begin!

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=74942&highlight=#74942
Where will the Pack pick [in the 2007 draft]?
Packnut: Top 3.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=73719&highlight=#73719
It's gonna take some time and it will be very painfull, but after we are embarrassed week in and week out and as the losses pile up, most of the "optimists" will realize that TT has set this team back more than Sherman ever did.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=73480&highlight=#73480
Woodson has to GO. NOW! SEND A MESSAGE
Packnut: Good post and very accurate.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=73309&highlight=#73309
The fact that any of you would defend this guy after yesterday is mind-boggling to say the least. It's one thing to get beat by Heap or Shockey but when you get beat by the worst TE in the game, you have more problems than just technique.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=75773&highlight=#75773
No my arguement is that he is not TALENTED enough to build a winning team and I believe the FACTS to date prove it.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=75761&highlight=#75761
Your faith in the drafting talents of TT amaze me. He has done NOTHING to even give a glimmer of hope. If you think stock-piling high draft choices is the answer, then you don't have a clue. Several teams have gone that route with no success. A GM need's to be able to bring in the right FA's and mix them in with the youth and I'd say there has been enough evidence to point out that TT is lacking in player evaluation skills.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=78661&highlight=#78661
This season will continue to suck and going 3-13 should'nt be a shock to anyone.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=87783&highlight=#87783
Cleaning house and going young has been tried before and it does'nt work. You need the right mix of vets and we have a GM that sucks at player evaluation. Yep, Woodson sure is worth all that cash. Yet, some will say TT is going in the right direction. There are several of the younger fans in this forum who have no concept of the 70's and 80's and sadly they are going to find out. They will understand how one bad choice has a snowball effect. I just don't see this "future hope" that they have. This team has so many holes, that it's just pathetic......

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=87311&highlight=#87311
Well may-be by the end of the season, many of you TT supporters will open your eyes and see that this guy has DESTROYED this franchise. He makes Dan Devine look smart. Let's see now, how many mistakes has he made with player moves? Every week it's the same line from MM- "we gotts get it fixed". He does'nt have a clue. Sherman was a much better coach than this clown will ever be and I never thought I'd say that. TT states he hired MM because of the man and not the x's and o's. Gee, does'nt that tell you something about him? Well at least he's honest cause MM does'nt know shit about x's and o's on either side of the ball.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=88594&highlight=#88594
This team is so far away from being competitive that it's pathetic.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=93449&highlight=#93449
I would love to buy the we're improving BS but the facts say that so far, TT has not improved us in even 1 area. … What happens IF we end up with a worse record than last season? Are you still gonna tell us we're improving under TT?????????????????????????

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=92923&highlight=#92923
The cap excuse has been worn to death by the TT supporters when in reality there were ways. TT is a freaking moron.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=97560&highlight=#97560
Pope is a HUGE upgrade over Herron. Good move by TT even if I was the first here to suggest it back in pre-season. Better late than never!

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=96912&highlight=#96912
The sad part is that we are so far away from even having a competitive D that it's depressing. Where is this improvment on D gonna come from? A lot of questions with few answers...........

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=101950&highlight=#101950
I think it all depends on what Thompson does. If he puts this team out on the field , then we'll be lucky to win 5 games.

Lurker64
03-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Bottom line - the Packers offensive system is completely and utterly incapable of winning a championship w/o an all-pro calibur QB.

The neat thing about all strategies, including offensive systems in football, is that you can change them to make them work better or in response to them not working well. Considering that McCarthy's pedigree was based both on his career as an offensive coordinator as well as his ability to improve QB performance, I'm not worried that we're permanently tied to an offensive system crafted for the last guy.

Remember, as OC for the Saints in the early 90s he managed to get 432 points out of an offense lead by, of all people, Aaron Brooks in 2002. If he can get 432 points out of an Aaron Brooks offense, we'll do okay with Rodgers (provided he stays healthy.)

Our offensive personnel (other than on the OL) aren't really tied to any particular offensive system, so I don't really understand how our system is so immutable as to doom us.

Green Bud Packer
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
He put #4 in position to win a Super Bowl.
What more can you ask of the man?

Partial
03-26-2008, 02:48 PM

You are crrazy and so incredibly full of shit. My goodness. You switched to the "TT didn't surround him with enough talent" half-way through the season before you went away. All off season you were whining about how bad this team would be.

KYPack
03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Bottom line - the Packers offensive system is completely and utterly incapable of winning a championship w/o an all-pro calibur QB.

The neat thing about all strategies, including offensive systems in football, is that you can change them to make them work better or in response to them not working well. Considering that McCarthy's pedigree was based both on his career as an offensive coordinator as well as his ability to improve QB performance, I'm not worried that we're permanently tied to an offensive system crafted for the last guy.

Remember, as OC for the Saints in the early 90s he managed to get 432 points out of an offense lead by, of all people, Aaron Brooks in 2002. If he can get 432 points out of an Aaron Brooks offense, we'll do okay with Rodgers (provided he stays healthy.)

Our offensive personnel (other than on the OL) aren't really tied to any particular offensive system, so I don't really understand how our system is so immutable as to doom us.

Great point.

M3's development of Aaron Brooks is a tremendous mark in his favor as a QB guru.

When they were cooking together, Brooks was clicking. After that, he's a nobody. I think he is the perfect guy to get ARod going. What if MM's offense is better suited to Rodgers? We could be a bigger thing than anybody thinks right now.