PDA

View Full Version : Come clean Rats

Bossman641
03-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Who were the players you thought were gonna be good who sucked horribly?

Who did you think would suck and was actually good?

I thought Leshon Johnson and Derrick Mayes would be awesome. Boy, was I wrong.

I also thought Ahmad Carrol would be good.

http://utenti.lycos.it/doh/indexfiles/homer_doh.gif

Forgive me

Iron Mike
03-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I thought Kyle Wachholz was gonna be the next great Holmy QB. :cry:

red
03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
i was excited when we drafted t-buck

and i was really stoked after he retured his first punt for a TD

and i did think mayes would be the cats ass

Tony Oday
03-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I was ticked we got rid of Hawthorne. I thought Joe Johnson was reggie reincarnated, I thought wes walls was the next keith Jackson.

gbpackfan
03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
I thought Marc Boerichter (spelling?) was going to be a solid #3 WR. D'oh!

packers11
03-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I thought T.T. was stupid for picking Chad Jackson over some random kid named Jennings...

Carroll was going to show major improvement and be a lockdown corner...

Thought Favre would play until 40...

Bretsky
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I really liked the Abdul Holdge Pick and the Darren Colledge Pick at the time they were selected

I wanted Chris Jackson over Greg Jennings
I wanted Odell Thurman

Scott Campbell
03-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I thought Donnell Washington would be a player. He sure looked good in the weight room.

HarveyWallbangers
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
I really liked the Abdul Holdge Pick and the Darren Colledge Pick at the time they were selected

Lame. Colledge could still become a player, and then you'd be wrong twice, right? Dude played at a smaller college, everybody knew that he needed to develop his strength, yet he's started two years, and hasn't been that bad. You make him out to be John Michels. He ain't that bad, and judging by how Rivera, Wahle, Wells, Flanagan, Winters, and most of the interior OL on this team started out, he still has a decent shot at being a good player.

Bretsky
03-25-2008, 09:39 PM

Lame. Colledge could still become a player, and then you'd be wrong twice, right? Dude played at a smaller college, everybody knew that he needed to develop his strength, yet he's started two years, and hasn't been that bad. You make him out to be John Michels. He ain't that bad, and judging by how Rivera, Wahle, Wells, Flanagan, Winters, and most of the interior OL on this team started out, he still has a decent shot at being a good player.

I can live with being wrong twice; Hodge is young and could become a player too. He was probably one of the picks I liked the most.

gbpackfan
03-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Right on. It's boom or bust I guess, even after year 2. Give these guys 4 years to develop. O-line is damn tough to play in the NFL!

RashanGary
03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
I liked Deion Hawkins and Ahmad Carroll and that's just the start. Maybe I'm hopelessly arrogant, but I think I can be much more accurate going forward.

HarveyWallbangers
03-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm going to come clean. For the first time in my life, I have little interest in actually studying the draft prospects. It ends up being a big waste of time. The Packers never select the guys I like, and the guys I like often turn out to be worthless. I'll read a little here and there, but mostly I'll wait for the draft. Then, I'll read the bios. And I'll definitely give Ted Thompson the benefit of the doubt this year.

MTPackerfan
03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
I wanted Joey Thomas to be good but alas that didn't come to pass.

BF4MVP
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM
I better just stay outta this one :lol:

Charles Woodson
03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Boss bailey... Was pissed when we took barnett instead of him...

MadtownPacker
03-25-2008, 11:10 PM
I dont know.. Carroll could still become a star. :oops:

St. Vince
03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
B.J. Sander, just kidding. It hurts to say this now, I was pretty excited about Jamal Reynolds.

Bossman641
03-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I dont know.. Carroll could still become a star. :oops:

That's the spirit Mad. I remember you being a big AC supporter.

texaspackerbacker
03-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I was crazy happy when we drafted Tony Mandarich. That sure went wrong. Ditto that for Brent Fullwood.

Just last year, I had I hopes for Clark Whatshisname, the tight end who was also a long snapper. Also, I thought Ingle Martin would be good.

Tarlam!
03-26-2008, 12:54 AM
My name is Tarlam! and I am a Homer. My Homerism started when my search for "my" NFL team abrubtly ended with my new company being based in WI. Y'see, not only am I a Homer. I am also (gasp) Australian.

Australians are sports nuts. We are addicted to all sports. Two cockraches climbing a wall is not a pest problem to us. It is an insect footrace!

There are no NFL teams in Australia. But we Aussies love American Football, because it is the most violent game of chess on Earth!! So, after nearly 4 decades of being an NFL fan with absolutely no team loyalty, my company was purchased by S.C. Johnson.

I found my NFL "home" and began to research "my" new team. Utter bliss set in. How lucky am I to have a team with the charisma of the GBP's?? All the history and charm?? I am truly blessed. Proctor and Gamble could have bought my company and then I would be talking about Carson Palmer!!!

Anyway, back to the thread at hand!

I have absolutely blindly loved every pick since Nick Barnett was taken (my first draft as a "a Packer"). I have firmly believed in all things Packer since then.

I will now step away from my Kool Aide.

Thank you all, and have a nice day.

red
03-26-2008, 07:01 AM
i'll be the first to admit it

around 92 and 93

i was calling for the new qb's head

he was just too wild and made too many bone head mistakes. i wanted TY detmer to start. i even came up with a slogan

it's tyme!!

i suppose i was wrong, a bit, for the only time in my life

Bretsky
03-26-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm going to come clean. For the first time in my life, I have little interest in actually studying the draft prospects. It ends up being a big waste of time. The Packers never select the guys I like, and the guys I like often turn out to be worthless. I'll read a little here and there, but mostly I'll wait for the draft. Then, I'll read the bios. And I'll definitely give Ted Thompson the benefit of the doubt this year.

I can agree with this; I use to be a draft fanatic and got a kick out of my mock draft board and seeing if I could predict Green Bay's pick. Maybe it's partly because we draft so late; maybe it's because I'm always wrong exceptg for Hawk. I'll still watch the draft live; but I have little interest in researching it all this year.

Bretsky
03-26-2008, 07:46 AM
I was crazy happy when we drafted Tony Mandarich. That sure went wrong. Ditto that for Brent Fullwood.

Just last year, I had I hopes for Clark Whatshisname, the tight end who was also a long snapper. Also, I thought Ingle Martin would be good.

Blast from the past; I loved the Fullwood pick too. That guy had loads of talent. Like many talented players, he was a bad person and didn't have the drive

Noodle
03-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I thought Torrance Marshall was a great pick and that he'd be a beast in the NFL. His only legacy is a whacked-out thread on his whereabouts on the old JSO board.

I was also a fan of the Joe Johnson signing.

Badgepack
03-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I thought Mark Donofrio would be great long term LB for sure.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I also really liked Hodge, thought he would push Barnett out the middle.

I liked C. Hunt, I thought he was a great player. :oops:

AtlPackFan
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
I am also (gasp) Australian.

My daughter is in Australia right now working on her Master's, Queensland U in Brisbane. Latest correspondence from her indicates she may have a job there after she is done with her Master's and that the company may pay for her to work on her doctorate.

I think I may have to send you her Email address so you can you tell her how much better it is to be here rooting for the Packers than in Australia? I don't want to see her only once every two to three years. :cry:

LL2
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM

I'm right there with ya!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I almost forgot, I loved the Joe Johnson signing. I thought that was our ticket to the superbowl that year.

oregonpackfan
03-26-2008, 09:58 AM
I too remember the excitement about the drafting of Tony Mandarich. That pick landed him on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Maybe Mandarich just suffered from the "Sports Illustrated cover curse?" :)

He turned out to be a massive bust for the Packers though he did resurrect his career somewhat later with the Colts(I think.)

Patler
03-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Another convert! I gave up pre-scouting the draft decades ago. I mostly study it after the fact, to see why the Packers picked who they did.

b bulldog
03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Good idea and I always have thought that if yopu haven't seen a player play, why would you take as gospel what some of these other people say. One thing is true, the draft is a crapshoot.

Patler
03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Anyone who is honest has to admit to liking the Mandarich pick, whether or not you wanted someone else like one of the Sanders even more. Mandarich was considered a sure bet to be a 10 year all-pro.

Two picks I was real excited about were Mike McCoy (the DT not the DB) and Eddie Lee Ivery. Both were absolutely dominating players in college. McCoy ended up just "OK" and Ivery got hurt immediately (I think his first game, maybe even his first carry of his first game). These two along with Mandarich were probably the biggest disappointments from the expectations I had for them.

K-town
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Anyone who is honest has to admit to liking the Mandarich pick, whether or not you wanted someone else like one of the Sanders even more. Mandarich was considered a sure bet to be a 10 year all-pro.

Two picks I was real excited about were Mike McCoy (the DT not the DB) and Eddie Lee Ivery. Both were absolutely dominating players in college. McCoy ended up just "OK" and Ivery got hurt immediately (I think his first game, maybe even his first carry of his first game). These two along with Mandarich were probably the biggest disappointments from the expectations I had for them.

I believe it was Eddie Lee's third carry in the 1979 season opener where his knee got shredded (damn Soldier Field Crap-troturf). Three carries, 24 yards, if I recall correctly. In 1981, also opening game, the same thing happened again.

Wasn't there a point in the 70s when Gale Gillingham went to the D-line, and late in his career they tried Mike McCoy on the O-line? Such was the madness of Devine and the inexperience of Starr.

Deputy Nutz
03-26-2008, 10:41 AM

I have to agree. This draft really doesn't appeal to me as much as in years passed. I used to read every mock draft available like their were pages from the bible. Now I know they don't mean shit.

Patler
03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I believe it was Eddie Lee's third carry in the 1979 season opener where his knee got shredded (damn Soldier Field Crap-troturf). Three carries, 24 yards, if I recall correctly. In 1981, also opening game, the same thing happened again.

Wasn't there a point in the 70s when Gale Gillingham went to the D-line, and late in his career they tried Mike McCoy on the O-line? Such was the madness of Devine and the inexperience of Starr.

Yup, I remember the Eddie Lee scenario now. Two big carries and then a knee injury. Thanks for reminding me!

Gillingham was moved to defense, and promptly hurt his knee and was out, I believe for the rest of that season. I don't remember McCoy ever being tried in the O-line, but its possible.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Two words: Brett Conway.

Cheesehead Craig
03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I loved the Mandarich pick.

Hated the Barnett pick at the time.

Liked Darrell Thompson.

I will also chime in that I'm done with the pre-draft stuff. Waste of time. I'd rather look at who the Packers take and deal with that.

Pack-man
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
OK I'll admit it I loved the Mandarich pick! I even bought a Mandarich jersey! Didn't wear it too often!

Green Bud Packer
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Fullwood broke me.On his first kick return in pre season he was five yards from taking it to the house and fumbled the ball. The rest of the story has been written.

DonHutson
03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
The Joe Johnson episode was the most disappointing. More so because in addition to not accomplishing anything on the field, he also turned out to be a craptacular human being as well.

I thought Chuck Webb would get over his injuries and be the next great Packer RB.

I didn't think Koren Robinson had much to offer as a player or as a person. I'm proud of him for getting his life together, but I think I was right regarding his on-field production.

hurleyfan
03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I thought Torrance Marshall was a great pick and that he'd be a beast in the NFL. His only legacy is a whacked-out thread on his whereabouts on the old JSO board.

I was also a fan of the Joe Johnson signing.

Wasn't that thread LOTS of fun!! :?: :?:

Harlan Huckleby
03-26-2008, 03:11 PM

Could it be?

Is it really him?

Be still, my beating heart.

texaspackerbacker
03-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Could it be?

Is it really him?

Live and in person, Harlan. This place is beginning to feel like home--plenty of old posters I had almost forgotten.

This thread has been interesting and enlightening too. After reading other people's posts, I will revise mine to add big Mike McCoy, Eddie Lee Ivery--who except for the sad injury really would have been a superstar, Torrance Marshall, and I can't hide from my defending of Ahmad Carroll long after others dropped him. I also thought Cory Rogers would amount to something.

BTW, Harlan, you need to get that signature fixed.

The Leaper
03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
I liked Derrick Mayes...thought Favre could turn him into a real star. He must've really stunk to not be able to produce with Favre in his prime tossing him the ball.

I did not like the trade for Favre when it happened...not so much that I was down on Favre, but that I thought we gave up way too much. Silly me.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I liked Derrick Mayes...thought Favre could turn him into a real star. He must've really stunk to not be able to produce with Favre in his prime tossing him the ball.

I did not like the trade for Favre when it happened...not so much that I was down on Favre, but that I thought we gave up way too much. Silly me.

Mayes had a really decent year with Seattle after left..60 plus catches...then the next season he played 8 games. I think he got injured. Not sure.

Mayes was one of those guys for whom football was only one of his interests. He was involved with licensing early on, real estate, etc. He is now involved in movies and tv.

And, produces a ND show on Comcast

http://www.derrickmayes.com/resume.cfm.

And his wife is not bad as well...actress.

http://www.gaylebrown.net/index_skip.html

Iron Mike
03-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I almost forgot, I loved the Joe Johnson signing. I thought that was our ticket to the superbowl that year.

I'll admit to the same thing when we signed Seth Joyner from Arizona. :roll:

He had to be better than Koonce and Bernardo Harris, right??? Geez.

I remember wanting to draft Texas TE Lovell Pinkney, and was crushed when St. Louis picked him up. Then we had him in '97 training camp, the guy was the next K-Jack in preseason, and I was feeling vindicated. Then what happens? The guy leaves the team for "personal reasons." Dammit.

Tarlam!
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM

Could it be?

Is it really him?

Live and in person, Harlan. This place is beginning to feel like home--plenty of old posters I had almost forgotten.

Tex has come in from the wilderness!!!! 3 Cheers for Tex!!!! :cow:

Tarlam!
03-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I am also (gasp) Australian.

I think I may have to send you her Email address so you can you tell her how much better it is to be here rooting for the Packers than in Australia?

Lemme get this straight... You want to give me (ME!) your daughter's email address and immediately begin the relatioship by LYING to her?

This cannot end on a happy note, APF....

:twisted: :D

KYPack
03-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Mayes had talent. He couldn't handle the mental aspects of the Packers offense. He constantly ran the wrong routes and missed audibles. Too bad, he cudda been a contender.

Marshall fooled the hell out of me. There was a college game his senior year in which he dominated the field. I was stoked when we got him in the 3rd round. I really felt we had stolen a star player in the 3rd. He played like he was sleep walking. Never caught up to NFL speed.

Incidently, Marshall and Jamal Reynolds are the players we got from the Matt Hasselbach trade

Bretsky
03-27-2008, 06:16 PM

Mayes had talent. He couldn't handle the mental aspects of the Packers offense. He constantly ran the wrong routes and missed audibles. Too bad, he cudda been a contender.

Marshall fooled the hell out of me. There was a college game his senior year in which he dominated the field. I was stoked when we got him in the 3rd round. I really felt we had stolen a star player in the 3rd. He played like he was sleep walking. Never caught up to NFL speed.

Incidently, Marshall and Jamal Reynolds are the players we got from the Matt Hasselbach trade

Trivia

Who was the 1st round pick Seattle selected to finalize that deal ? OUCH

Tony Oday
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I almost forgot the 'Wizard' at QB!!! Who remembers who that is? I thought he would take it all away from our Majik Man :)

Tyrone Bigguns
03-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Mayes..that was early on..and if it was tryly a problem i highly doubt Holmgren woulda wanted him again. His academic and professional success seem to bely the mental aspect.

the_idle_threat
03-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Trivia

Who was the 1st round pick Seattle selected to finalize that deal ? OUCH

IIRC, it was OG Steve Hutchinson. Wasn't TT on the other end of that deal?

KYPack
03-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Mayes..that was early on..and if it was tryly a problem i highly doubt Holmgren woulda wanted him again. His academic and professional success seem to bely the mental aspect.

Sure Mayes is a very intelligent person. (ND education & all) Off an NFL field. He was another one of those guys who just froze up in an NFL game. There was NFL films video on Mayes in his last year in GB. Mayes ran the wrong route, then blew an audible at critical times in a game. Brett was PISSED. Holmey benched Mayes. When MH went to Seattle, he signed Mayes bc he was aware of his considerable gifts and mental ability. As some have said, Mayes had a good season up there. But, he never made it. MH is an old teacher and always figures he can straighten guys out. In Mayes case, he couldn't do it.

Mayes really couldn't get it done. He ain't the only guy that had that happen to him