PDA

View Full Version : Craig Nall struggling in Buffalo, 3rd on depth

motife
05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
News: The Buffalo News reports Craig Nall has struggled at the team's recent OTAs.
Impact: This is the second negative report on Nall, who also struggled at minicamp earlier this month. Bills coach Dick Jauron says he's a long way from deciding his starter, but its clear Nall is running third in the QB competition so far. (Mon. May 29, 2006)

Craig Nall - #16 - Quarterback - 6'3" - 230lbs
News: Bills QB Craig Nall reportedly struggled at Bills minicamp.
Impact: We take minicamp practice reports with a big grain of salt, especially this early. That said, Bills.com thought Kelly Holcomb looked the best of the three candidates to start at quarterback, with J.P. Losman next, and Nall bringing up the rear. (Tue. May 9, 2006)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamFantasyNews?categoryId=67039

another report on the May 28th minicamp :

Eric King picked off a pass by Craig Nall intended for Andre Davis who did slip on the play. The pass was still a bit behind Davis as Nall had a tough day with his reads and accuracy at times. Nall was later intercepted by Terrence McGee in team work on a ball he quickly realized he should not have thrown as he got a bit upset with himself.

Later in team work a lateral pass to Peerless Price was mishandled and rookie defensive tackle Kyle Williams scooped it up and headed the other way. He quickly lateraled the ball to the faster Josh Stamer.

still another :

The most recent round of the Bills' quarterback competition did not go very well for Craig Nall. He made some poor reads and struggled with his accuracy at times during Thursday's practice. He also had a couple of passes intercepted.

Nall admitted he needs to work on getting more comfortable with the offense.

"There's certain things I'm comfortable with. It's just we're adding stuff each day and I've got to kind of be on top of it," he said. "I don't think its time to fret. It's still early. We're still in OTAs. When training camp comes around if I'm still at the same spot that I am right now then it's time to panic. I've just got to take each day as it comes and try to get better at something."

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Not a big surprise at all. I'd rather have a young guy like Martin where he could be something than a guy like Nall where you know what you've got.

gbpackfan
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I never really got why everyone was so in love with Nall. He is a nice guy but only an average QB. He had one good showing in mop up duty against the Bears a couple years aga and that was pretty much it. Last year he was pretty crappy in preseason games.

However, it is still early. He may turn it around.

Partial
05-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Not a big surprise at all. I'd rather have a young guy like Martin where he could be something than a guy like Nall where you know what you've got.

I disagree in this situation. I like keeping the guy where you know what you've got, if what you've got is solid. Nall was one of the better backups in the league in my opinion.

RashanGary
05-29-2006, 04:23 PM
GB didn't agree. Neither does Buffalo. But I'll just take your word for it.

Partial
05-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Nall is one of my players to watch this training camp in my first edition of Helmet-to-Helmet. Speaking of which, the second, much longer and long overdue edition is well underway!

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Was never sad when he left

esoxx
05-29-2006, 08:36 PM
This is hardly a surprise since Nall looked poor in practice many times in his GB days. He was close to being cut a few times and would then turn in a big performance in the preseason game. For whatever reason, he's one of those that does better in a game then he does in practice. I think that's why GB kept bringing in QB's and were never totally comfortable with Nall. Hard to feel completely confident in a guy who looks like dogmeat in practice.

b bulldog
05-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Who cares about Nall, he is gone.

retailguy
05-29-2006, 11:49 PM

Who cares about Tom Brady, he plays for New England?. :wink:

GrnBay007
05-29-2006, 11:52 PM

Who cares about Tom Brady, he plays for New England?. :wink:

LOL Good One!!!!!!! that lil burn left a mark :razz:

Tarlam!
05-30-2006, 12:31 AM
What Essoxx said.

MadtownPacker
05-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Thats too bad about Nall. I figured he would be the starter in Buffalo. He waited patiently for his time to come while in GB and has always been a good guy that I recall.

The Leaper
05-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Nall one of the better backups in the league? What evidence is there of that? He never saw the field in a meaningful game situation.

Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Nall...period. Nall will never amount to more than being a career backup, and he's pedestrian at best in that role. It doesn't surprise me that Holcomb and Losman both look better than Nall right now...they both ARE better.

Partial
05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Nall one of the better backups in the league? What evidence is there of that? He never saw the field in a meaningful game situation.

Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Nall...period. Nall will never amount to more than being a career backup, and he's pedestrian at best in that role. It doesn't surprise me that Holcomb and Losman both look better than Nall right now...they both ARE better.

:lol: I'll be laughing all the way to the bank when Nall has a HUGE year!!

Fritz
05-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Didn't Mike Hawkins look like the next coming of Deion Sanders last year in mini-camp?

gureski
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM

:lol: I'll be laughing all the way to the bank when Nall has a HUGE year!!

I can't resist chiming in...

You have to wait to laugh because Nall has never given you anything solid to support your feelings that he's as good or better then Losman/Holcombe or that he will ever amount to anything. If you had something to toss back now, you'd throw it. As it stands...like you said...you have to wait to laugh.

This is the same Nall, different pile. That's all this is.

Partial
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Didn't Mike Hawkins look like the next coming of Deion Sanders last year in mini-camp?

according to nick collins I believe, yes.

Hawkins is a n00b. He'll probably never be a solid player. Here's hoping!

Partial
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM
The Nallster just seems like a straight-up baller when the pressure is on. Time will tell, but I think he's got a chance to be good!

Homer Jay
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Its one of those true old sayings. The most popular guy in town is always the back up quarterback.

Noodle
05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I can't resist chiming in...

You have to wait to laugh because Nall has never given you anything solid to support your feelings that he's as good or better then Losman/Holcombe or that he will ever amount to anything. If you had something to toss back now, you'd throw it. As it stands...like you said...you have to wait to laugh.

This is the same Nall, different pile. That's all this is.
Gureski -- what caused you to change your mind? I thought you were always big on Nall's intangibles?