PDA

View Full Version : Greatest WRs of All-Time

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Interesting that the 7 person panel included Boyd Dowler, Mike Holmgren, and Ted Thompson.

Some interesting stuff. Rice #1, Moss #2, and Hutson #3.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3309223

RashanGary
03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Greatest I've ever seen is Moss.

oregonpackfan
03-26-2008, 11:31 PM

Take a tour of the Packers HOF and watch the film clips of Don Hutson.

Because he was before my time, I was always a little bit skeptical when my Dad said Hutson was the best receiver he had ever seen.

When I saw the clips of Hutson, I was amazed with his speed and shifty moves.
Though it is difficult to compare players of different eras, Hutson's skills truly impressed me.

mission
03-27-2008, 02:57 AM

Because he was before my time, I was always a little bit skeptical when my Dad said Hutson was the best receiver he had ever seen.

Though it is difficult to compare players of different eras, Hutson's skills truly impressed me.

Damn, I wanted to get some ass kissing in before the ol' man showed up! Ya beat me to it tho ...

Bretsky
03-27-2008, 05:11 AM
Greatest I've ever seen was Moss also

Sterline Sharpe IMO would have been top 10 at least w/o injury; Favre's stats would be elevated even higher and IMO it would have been quite likely we would have witnessed more titles

While I never likes S Sharpe the person; he was a great player

Pack-man
03-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Greatest I've ever seen was Moss also

Sterline Sharpe IMO would have been top 10 at least w/o injury; Favre's stats would be elevated even higher and IMO it would have been quite likely we would have witnessed more titles

While I never likes S Sharpe the person; he was a great player

While I'll agree Sterling was a great player (just ask him). I think the Packers and Brett got better after he left. Brett started distributing the ball to all his receivers, not just looking to throw the ball to Sterling on every play.

Zool
03-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Well the defense certainly got better after he left. That didnt hurt anything either.

The Leaper
03-27-2008, 07:42 AM
While I'll agree Sterling was a great player (just ask him). I think the Packers and Brett got better after he left. Brett started distributing the ball to all his receivers, not just looking to throw the ball to Sterling on every play.

You can't convince me that the mid 90s Packers were better off without Sharpe. The guy was a beast. Without injury, he would've posted 1200 catches and 15,000 yards without much trouble with Favre tossing him the ball.

Sharpe's departure did play a role in Favre's maturing...but I think that would've happened anyway. It probably just hastened it a little.

KYPack
03-27-2008, 08:10 AM

Damn, I wanted to get some ass kissing in before the ol' man showed up! Ya beat me to it tho ...

Ha!

I hope it isn't annoying for the younger posters to hear the old guys constantly spam for Hutson. but go to Packer.com and watch the clips of the player in action. Usually, when you watch players from the old days, they look jerky and a little slow. Not Don, he super smooth and much faster than the players of his time. He is a fully modern player teleported back to the old days.

The fun thing to watch is the DBacks of his era trying to cover him. While Don is smooth, quick and fast, the DB's are slow and jerky. On some routes, the DBacks are trailing him by 5, 10 or 15 yards. They are running as fast as they can, struggling in panic and Hutson is simply sailing upfield, never to be caught.

While modern DBacks have studied their opponents on tape and have seen the players moves. Hutson era backs are totally fooled. They have never seen the stuff Don is doing.

Moss, Rice, and many other receivers are great in their own right, but Don changed the very nature of his sport. When Don retired, all the teams had a passing offense. When he started, few of 'em had a real pass offense. Don caused the entire game to evolve.

The Leaper
03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Hutson was one of the top 5 WRs of all-time...period.

Scott Campbell
03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
I'd take a healthy Sterling ahead of all but the top 3 on that list.

HarveyWallbangers
03-27-2008, 09:16 AM

I agree. I'm with everybody on the love of Hutson also. To be a believer all you have to do is watch the one play where Don is double covered, easily beats the double team, makes a one-handed grab, and then breezes past the two defenders to the endzone.

He was the Babe Ruth of football.

1 Rice
2 Hutson
3 Moss

This is where I'd put a healthy Sterling Sharpe.

KYPack
03-27-2008, 09:18 AM

In 2002, Sharpe was inducted into the Packers HOF.
He was going around telling eveyone he was the greatest reciever in Packer history. Lofton was there and told people Sterling didn't know it, but Sharpe was only the 3rd greatest pass catcher in Packer history.

The first? Don Hutson. 2nd? James Lofton 3rd ain't bad when you are talking about the Packers.

Noodle
03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
He wasn't a Packer, but I can't take a top 10 WR list seriously if it doesn't have Freddie Biletnikoff. I mean c'mon, the man was the gold standard in an era where receivers just got the crap mugged out of them.

Plus, I remember the guy being a serious smoker, like a pack and a half a day kind of thing. He'd stub out a butt, slather on some stick-um, and make an absolutely sick catch to keep a drive going. This was when Giants Walked the Earth.

MadtownPacker
03-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Wow, there use to be white WRs?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-27-2008, 12:09 PM
I can't even fathom somebody who watched Rice and Moss saying Moss was the greatest they've seen.

Rice caught every type of pass including going over the middle, turned simple slants into TDs, and was fearless.

He turned what was a fantastic play..the one handed catch into the what is now the norm..or expected.

The Leaper
03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I can't even fathom somebody who watched Rice and Moss saying Moss was the greatest they've seen.

I agree. Moss is the greatest deep threat I've ever seen, and I could see why someone might argue he is the most physically talented WR ever.

However, Moss can't block and he refuses to run routes across the middle of the field. He also drops too many routine catches. I don't see how he really has any claim on being the greatest ever.

mngolf19
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM

I agree. Moss is the greatest deep threat I've ever seen, and I could see why someone might argue he is the most physically talented WR ever.

However, Moss can't block and he refuses to run routes across the middle of the field. He also drops too many routine catches. I don't see how he really has any claim on being the greatest ever.

He does not refuse to run routes across the middle. That just doesn't fit his skills best or help the team the most. For example, he caught passes over the middle in the SB but we would all agree that Welker was better at that and it fit his skills better.

Off this list, I don't understand T.O. being on there. What exactly has he done to put himself on this list? He drops too many, has no records, isn't known for anything special in my opinion. Of course I didn't think Irvin deserved the list either.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-27-2008, 01:40 PM

He does not refuse to run routes across the middle. That just doesn't fit his skills best or help the team the most. For example, he caught passes over the middle in the SB but we would all agree that Welker was better at that and it fit his skills better.

Off this list, I don't understand T.O. being on there. What exactly has he done to put himself on this list? He drops too many, has no records, isn't known for anything special in my opinion. Of course I didn't think Irvin deserved the list either.

Doesn't fit his skills...so, he is lacking in that area. If you are saying welker is better at it...you pretty much have lost the argument.

rice ran every route, and did them all great.

Pack-man
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM

Plus he admittedly takes plays off during the game. Jerry Rice never took any plays off. He practiced every day as hard as he played. Moss may have more God given ability, but he's not in Jerry Rices class now or ever!

mission
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
sorry there is just no argument whatsoever for moss over rice... there's just no fucking way.

i hate(d) the 49ers more than anyone during that era and say what you want about his supporting cast but he pretty much made that supporting cast have the exact hue of greatness its currently perceived as having. he taught em how to prepare, how to work, how to practice, how to play, how to come through, how to win... he made every one of his teammates just that much better ... even joe. jerry rice IS the greatest WR ever.

/thread

Scott Campbell
03-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Rice never got traded for a 4th rounder during his prime. Moss probably could have become the greatest ever. But he didn't. And he's not likely going to. He has issues.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-27-2008, 07:18 PM
sorry there is just no argument whatsoever for moss over rice... there's just no fucking way.

i hate(d) the 49ers more than anyone during that era and say what you want about his supporting cast but he pretty much made that supporting cast have the exact hue of greatness its currently perceived as having. he taught em how to prepare, how to work, how to practice, how to play, how to come through, how to win... he made every one of his teammates just that much better ... even joe. jerry rice IS the greatest WR ever.

/thread

Agreed. I remember distinctly watching him make a one handed catch on a go route up the sideline...it was like watching god play football...no one else was making catches like that regularly..it wasn't some excellent freak play like Free made.

And, who else made those slants across the middle look so easy...catching the ball in stride. It just wasn't fair to the defense...he could not be stopped.

Fritz
03-28-2008, 07:52 AM
He wasn't a Packer, but I can't take a top 10 WR list seriously if it doesn't have Freddie Biletnikoff. I mean c'mon, the man was the gold standard in an era where receivers just got the crap mugged out of them.

Plus, I remember the guy being a serious smoker, like a pack and a half a day kind of thing. He'd stub out a butt, slather on some stick-um, and make an absolutely sick catch to keep a drive going. This was when Giants Walked the Earth.

Here here, Noodle. Biletnikoff was my man, back in the day when I was a kid. Also, I think a name that is missing from the list is the Baltimore wide receiver - uh, Raymond .... somebody. You know, the dude that used to practice like a demon, running his routes over and over and over. Was called the best route-runner ever to play the game. Damn. What was his last name? Studious kind of guy.

I think the old-timers got shorted on this list. If Paul Warfeld hadn't been on it I was going to blow up my computer.

DonHutson
03-28-2008, 10:15 AM
We'll just see where Jerry ranks when all his fans are long DEAD! What a screw job...

:x

DonHutson
03-28-2008, 10:21 AM
A copy of a post I made in that old forum:

When these WR comparisons come up I always feel obliged to provide a history lesson in honor of my forum namesake, Don Hutson. So here is some info I just looked up on NFL.com.

Hutson played from 1935-45. In those 11 seasons he led the NFL in receiving yards 7 times and never finished lower than 3rd in that category. When he wasn't busy catching passes on offense he was busy catching them on defense. As a starting S he finished in the top 3 in the NFL in INT's 3 times.

In the years he led the league in receiving yards he often blew away his nearest competitor. Here are his numbers for those years with the second place total in parentheses:

1936 - 536 (414) and 8 TDs in 12 games
1938 - 548 (516) and 9 TDs in 10 games
1939 - 846 (550) and 6 TDs in 11 games
1941 - 738 (362) and 10 TDs in 11 games
1942 - 1211 (571) and 17 TDs in 11 games
1943 - 766 (537) and 11 TDs in 10 games
1944 - 866 (505) and 9 TDs in 10 games

As you can see, in '41 and '42 he more than doubled the yardage of the 2nd place receiver.

If you prorate his 1942 numbers out to a 16 game season you get the following totals:

108 catches for 1,762 yards and 25 TDs (not to mention 10 INT) which stands up well against any season you can find even in our more pass-happy era. By the way, that prorated 25 TDs would still beat the NFL record of 22 by Jerry Rice in a 16 game season, SIXTY-FIVE years after the fact.

His final career numbers: 488 catches for 7,991 yards and 99 TDs

The TD record stood for over 40 years until it was finally broken by Steve Largent.

In Jerry Rice's best season (1995) he had 122 catches for 1,848 yards. In that year the second highest yardage total was 1,781.

It is always difficult to compare stats across very different eras, but Hutson was clearly more dominant in his era than Rice was in his. And prorated out to a 16 game season Hutson's numbers are STILL very competive if not better than the best seasons of today (keeping in mind that rules have been changed over the years to make it much easier to throw the ball now).

Is it easier to play a shorter season from a physical standpoint? Maybe, but it's also more difficult physically to play offense and defense as Hutson did.

You make the call, but I would still vote for Hutson as the greatest receiver ever. If Moss has a couple years where he puts up 2,500 yards and 30 TD's, doubling the competition, then we'll talk.

By the way, all the balls he's holding in my avatar photo... one for each major NFL receiving record he held by the end of his career.

The Leaper
03-28-2008, 11:07 AM
By the way, all the balls he's holding in my avatar photo... one for each major NFL receiving record he held by the end of his career.

We need a picture like that for Favre.

sharpe1027
03-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Moss's play in Oakland is enough to knock him down a few notches. THere is no excuse, he as much as admitted that he took his ball and went home because things didn't go his way. Boo hoo. I don't care how physically talented he is, he'll never top my list.

MadtownPacker
03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Moss's play in Oakland is enough to knock him down a few notches. THere is no excuse, he as much as admitted that he took his ball and went home because things didn't go his way. Boo hoo. I don't care how physically talented he is, he'll never top my list.Thats why I think moss shouldn't even be in this discussion. Quitters have no place among the legends. Had he went full blast his whole career I would put him up there but his raiders days showed his true colors.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Here here, Noodle. Biletnikoff was my man, back in the day when I was a kid. Also, I think a name that is missing from the list is the Baltimore wide receiver - uh, Raymond .... somebody. You know, the dude that used to practice like a demon, running his routes over and over and over. Was called the best route-runner ever to play the game. Damn. What was his last name? Studious kind of guy.

I think the old-timers got shorted on this list. If Paul Warfeld hadn't been on it I was going to blow up my computer.

Raymond berry is the guy you are referring to.

Biletnikoff was a great receiver, but is far from the top ten. I loved him also as a kid, but a lot of this is because he was on a dominant team, he was a character, and was a great possession receiver.

But, our memories are from being kids. I always thought several raiders were the greatest..casper, stabler, guy..but, there are tons of guys with similar numbers.

For example, if you say biletnikoff...why not charlie joiner? Why not Drew Pearson. Why not cliff branch? Why not Isaac Curtis? why not Gene washington. Why not Bob Hayes..who really terrorized the league.

Biletnikoff is a HOF, but he is far from being a top ten receiver. He might be a top ten possession receiver.

mngolf19
03-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Doesn't fit his skills...so, he is lacking in that area. If you are saying welker is better at it...you pretty much have lost the argument.

Ok, quote me correctly now. "Doesn't fit his skills best or help the team the most." Nothing about lacking in that area. Also, didn't compare Moss to Rice. Didn't say he was better. Rice is better. Sheesh.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Ok, quote me correctly now. "Doesn't fit his skills best or help the team the most." Nothing about lacking in that area. Also, didn't compare Moss to Rice. Didn't say he was better. Rice is better. Sheesh.

First, i didn't quote you.

Second, Moss has long shyed away from going across the middle/slants, etc. This can't even be disputed. Some said it was fear of contact, some said he couldn't learn the routes, etc.

However, the point still remains...great receivers have all the skills and can do it all.

Gunakor
03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Hell, I'd take Marvin Harrison over Randy Moss. Moss might have more ability at the position than Harrison, but I'll take consistency over ability any day of the week. Twice on Sundays.

If Moss was really one of the greatest ever, why couldn't he haul in more of Andrew Walter's throws? I mean, there were alot of EASY ones thrown to him in Oakland that he dropped.

Then there's everything he's during his career. "I'll play when I want to play" and "Nobody else cares about winning, so why should I". 2nd greatest reciever EVER?? Please...

KYPack
03-29-2008, 09:30 AM
[quote="Tyrone Bigguns

Second, Moss has long shyed away from going across the middle/slants, etc. This can't even be disputed. Some said it was fear of contact, some said he couldn't learn the routes, etc.

However, the point still remains...great receivers have all the skills and can do it all.[/quote]

Closest he'll come to slants are the deep crosses. He hasn't run the middle of the field in years. He won't do it.

Moss was no factor in the Pats play-off run. Opposing defenses are playing the corner at 3 yard technique on Moss's outside shoulder. That, with the safety over the top takes him out of the gamre. He still occupies two guys, but a player like that the greatest of all time?

No way.

Noodle
03-31-2008, 12:10 PM

Biletnikoff was a great receiver, but is far from the top ten. I loved him also as a kid, but a lot of this is because he was on a dominant team, he was a character, and was a great possession receiver.

But, our memories are from being kids. I always thought several raiders were the greatest..casper, stabler, guy..but, there are tons of guys with similar numbers.

For example, if you say biletnikoff...why not charlie joiner? Why not Drew Pearson. Why not cliff branch? Why not Isaac Curtis? why not Gene washington. Why not Bob Hayes..who really terrorized the league.

Biletnikoff is a HOF, but he is far from being a top ten receiver. He might be a top ten possession receiver.

Raymond Berry has to be a contender for this list. Monster receiver.

And Freddie blows away the other guys you mentioned, who were all quality receivers to be sure. Freddie had like 6 pro bowls, ranked among the top three in receptions 4 years in a row, and was a SB MVP.
Pearson: 3 pro bowls, only cracked top 3 in receptions (no. 3) once.
Curtis: 4 pro bowls, never cracked top 3 in receptions and never caught more than 50 balls a year.
Washington: 4 pro bowls, never cracked top 3 in receptions.
And Bullet Hayes: only 3 pro bowls and never cracked the top 3 in receptions. But I agree that Hayes changed the game in a way Freddie didn't with his speed, though not so much with his route running or catching ability.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Judging the quality of a receiver by the number of Pro Bowls appearances he made is silly. The Pro Bowl is a joke.

mission
03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh, so that's not really Don Hutson... I didnt think the years matched up but damn, was thinking that old timer was doing real well in a wheel chair or something.

No wonder he outlived my grand father lol

<< stupid

Noodle
04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Judging the quality of a receiver by the number of Pro Bowls appearances he made is silly. The Pro Bowl is a joke.

I agree it's not bulletproof, but how else to get a consensus of how a guy is judged by his peers -- penis size?

Fritz
04-02-2008, 11:54 AM

You have a point.

Tell you what - tight ends-wise, it's got to be Kellen Winslow Sr.

MJZiggy
04-02-2008, 08:38 PM

I agree it's not bulletproof, but how else to get a consensus of how a guy is judged by his peers -- penis size?

Works for me.

DonHutson
04-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Works for me.

Then Don Hutson still wins!

:shock:

MJZiggy
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Dare I ask how you know? :oops:

Charles Woodson
04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Dare I ask how you know? :oops:

well the man obviously is The Don Hutson

Cheesehead Craig
04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Glad that Largent is on the list. I'd take a WR corps of clones of him anyday. I consider he and Rice the top 2 route runners ever. He had deceptive speed as well. He didn't have elite speed, he had a great burst to get to his top speed out of cuts and defenders couldn't handle him. He had a career 16 yds/catch avg (which is more than Moss or Rice) and he went over the middle and earned those.

Plus, extra kudos for kicking 2 XP in his career.

b bulldog
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Rice is the best I've personally seen play. Hutson may be the best ever and Moss is the greatest reg season WR.