PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simms and Tampa

KYPack
03-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Our back-up QB position is wide open and the prospects out there are grim to non-existent. Nobody likes any of the vet FA's out there.

Our back-up QB may come from the southlands. Tampa cannot keep all the QB's they have now.

The Bucs have six quarterbacks under contract: Jeff Garcia, Griese, Simms, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski and the retired Jake Plummer.

Simms said he has split time between working out on his own in Tampa and traveling to New Jersey, where he has thrown with friends and his father, former Giants Super Bowl quarterback Phil Simms.

Griese, 33, appears to be the Bucs' choice to back up Garcia, leaving McCown and Gradkowski to fight it out for No. 3.

But the Bucs believe they have value in Simms, who has earned $7.1-million in the past two seasons despite playing just three games. Simms is entering the final season of his contract and is scheduled to earn a $2-million base salary.

Coincidentally, it was Simms' performance in 2005 that prompted Griese's departure from Tampa Bay.

Griese went 5-1 as the starter before tearing his ACL. Simms entered and went 6-5 in leading the Bucs to the playoffs.

During the ensuing offseason, the Bucs balked at paying Griese a $2.6-million roster bonus and released him. He later signed with the Bears.

There is a roster squeeze coming in TB. I've always liked Simms, even when everybody thought he was a weenie. He's got a real live arm and if he's recovered, he can help us.

I also like Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, even Jake the Snake better than any street FA QB's that are on the market.

One of these dudes will be available at some point before the season. Should we make a move on 'em?

The Leaper
03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
No need to make a move right now. As you say, Tampa can't keep them all. At least one of these guys is going to be cut before training camp...you can't take 5 established QBs into camp.

Our #2 job will probably be very attractive to any of the guys who they release...due to the talent on the GB offense, the relative similarity due to the WCO system, and the potential of playing time. I don't think we'd have any difficulty nabbing whoever they cut...which is why Thompson is biding his time and not jumping at subpar talents like Grey.

KYPack
03-27-2008, 09:41 AM
No need to make a move right now. As you say, Tampa can't keep them all. At least one of these guys is going to be cut before training camp...you can't take 5 established QBs into camp.

Our #2 job will probably be very attractive to any of the guys who they release...due to the talent on the GB offense, the relative similarity due to the WCO system, and the potential of playing time. I don't think we'd have any difficulty nabbing whoever they cut...which is why Thompson is biding his time and not jumping at subpar talents like Grey.

Yeah, I agree.

Make a move on one of 'em, AFTER the roster squeeze. That's when you get the most value, when the player essentially has no contract in place.

I like all of these guys better than Nall or the guys that are left in FA.

You could potentially have a shot at 3 of the 6 players (Although Plummer doesn't really count, he's largely done).

I'd take McCown in a second.

MadtownPacker
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Get Simms, he played with his guts busted up.

KYPack
03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh yeah. I'd take Simms in a heartbeat. He showed me a lot in that spleen incident.

I just don't think we'd get a shot at him. If Tampa cuts him, there asre a lot of NFC teams ahead of us that can pick him up. If he did filter down to us, sign him right now.

Would TT trade for him? Man I don't have a clue. If he'd deal a 6 for Grant, he'd do one for Simms I'd think.

MadtownPacker
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
See Simms fit the exact description of what the #2 should be. A guy with natural talent who can still be salvaged. I would drop a 6th on him right now. Aint gonna get a better deal in the draft for a back up QB.

Zool
03-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I was calling for Simms a month ago and I'm still on that wagon.

Oscar
03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
This is just a question..If we trade for Simms do we also pick up the 2mil that he has coming on his current deal? I'm not saying thats a huge amount just wondered what T.T. would consider for a #2 QB? I don't follow the contract numbers so just wondering?

KYPack
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
This is just a question..If we trade for Simms do we also pick up the 2mil that he has coming on his current deal? I'm not saying thats a huge amount just wondered what T.T. would consider for a #2 QB? I don't follow the contract numbers so just wondering?

In a trade, we'd retain his contract. So yeah, we'd pay him the 2 mil.

Most likely, in the event of a trade, GB would want to sign him long term in conjunction with the deal.

Simms still sees himself as a starter, so that could be a problem. A long term back-up QB deal probebly isn't in Simms dreams.

Simms is a good troop. This was the first I've checked out the Tampa situation, it seems like a fertile place to find a vet back-up.

Zool
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking the Bucs will release 2 of the 3 pack of McCown, Gradkowski and Simms. Then the contract means nothing.

Guiness
03-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Actually Zool, I'm thinking Jake goes, and one of the guys on your list, unless he decides real soon he's coming back.

Which of the three is a toss up, but I'm guessing it's Simms due to the roster bonus - he's not likely to want to renegotiate, because he knows he'll get at least that on the open market. And I don't think they're interested in giving him a shot at the starter's job.

Zool
03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
They have 5 on the roster not including Plumber. I highly doubt they will keep 4 QB's.

Guiness
03-27-2008, 11:51 AM
oops, missed that.

How does it work with Plummer? He's under contract, but retired. So he doesn't take up a roster spot, doesn't get paid, but can't sign elsewhere, right? I think Deon was in that situation with the Redskins a couple years ago.

Zool
03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I believe they own his rights should he ever want to come back to the NFL.

MadtownPacker
03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking the Bucs will release 2 of the 3 pack of McCown, Gradkowski and Simms. Then the contract means nothing.But he still has to get through the waiver wire right? Or is he free to sign with whoever?

Zool
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Good question. Is it like baseball? Where's Patler?

Guiness
03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
kind of hard to find info on that easily - google just keeps popping up fantasy league info.

So, with an IIRC caveat...

He will be released, and go onto the waiver wire. Teams get a shot at him, in some sort of order determined by the league (waiver wire position). However, if they pick him up this way, his contract comes along with him, i.e. the $2mil bonus.

If he clears waivers, meaning no one picks him up with his existing contract, he becomes a full fledged UFA, and it's open bidding season by all interested.

The Leaper
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
But he still has to get through the waiver wire right? Or is he free to sign with whoever?

I'm thinking he is free to sign with whoever...as long as he has filed his retirement papers. Whatever team that wants to pursue Plummer would have to first work out an agreement with Tampa to obtain his rights rather than go through a waiver process.

Also, I'm not sure I can see anyone nabbing Simms off waivers with his current deal. Maybe someone is that desperate, but I don't think so. If he is released, I would expect him to clear waivers.

KYPack
03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
But he still has to get through the waiver wire right? Or is he free to sign with whoever?

I'm thinking he is free to sign with whoever...as long as he has filed his retirement papers. Whatever team that wants to pursue Plummer would have to first work out an agreement with Tampa to obtain his rights rather than go through a waiver process.

Also, I'm not sure I can see anyone nabbing Simms off waivers with his current deal. Maybe someone is that desperate, but I don't think so. If he is released, I would expect him to clear waivers.

This is true, but...

I could see doing us a deal for Simms. Waivers still leaves somebody open to be grabbed by another team. If Tampa got in the position where they had to make a move, they might make a deal for what they could get for Simms. I think this is his last year of his deal, so there would be little cap consideration. iI would be a similar situation to Grant's last season. TT made that trade to assure the Packers of possession of Grant's contract. NY was 99% gonna cut him and there were only a few teams that could've claimed him ahead of us, but TT didn't want to take that chance.

It will be interesting. We gotta have 4-5 arms just to run camp. We will have to start axquiring bodis now.

texaspackerbacker
03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
If it's a matter of picking him (or one of them) up after being cut, and not a matter of giving up a draft pick in trade AND being stuck with the contract, then I'm for it--Simms, Gradkowski, McCown, in that order--not Plummer.

I don't think I like any of these guys as well as Nall, though.

MJZiggy
03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Good question. Is it like baseball? Where's Patler?

I'm no Patler, but according to the CBA it goes like this:

Section 1. Release:
(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period.

In other words, if he's past 4 years and the cut him, he's a free agent. No waiver.

DonHutson
03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
If you sit around waiting for one of them to get cut, you run the risk of some other enterprising team making the trade.

If Ted really likes someone, he should just get him. If he doesn't really care then he can let the chips fall where they may. It could very well be a draft day decision so we can see what QB's are available, and more importantly to see who's actually available with the pick we'd be giving up for Simms.

I would think it would be best for everyone to get the new #2 in Green Bay with a playbook in his hands as soon as possible.

Zool
03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
If Ted really likes someone, he should just get him. If he doesn't really care then he can let the chips fall where they may.

Like a 6th for Grant.

gbgary
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
leave simms alone. he's terrible and with Rodgers propensity for injury he could be the number one guy for an extended period.

KYPack
03-28-2008, 08:46 PM
leave simms alone. he's terrible and with Rodgers propensity for injury he could be the number one guy for an extended period.

He ain't terrible, GB.

He's a young QB trying to find his way in the league.

If ARod goes down, who do you expect will run the show?

I'd hope we had somebody the calibre of Simms as opposed to a bum like Nall. We have to find a back-up that can fill in at QB. Very few teams go the distance without the back-up covering 1 to 4 games.

We will have to sign one. The TB QB's look like an opportunity.