PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts??? - Favre

packers11
03-27-2008, 10:38 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7951584/Favre-hasn't-filed-...-is-it-just-a-formality?

Favre hasn't filed ... is it just a formality?

By John Czarnecki

John Czarnecki has been the editorial consultant for FOX NFL Sunday since its 1994 inception. This season marks Czarnecki's 30th year covering the NFL. He is one of 44 selectors to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Updated: March 25, 2008, 2:12 PM EST

When Brett Favre finally called it a career earlier this off-season, he certainly gave the impression that he wasn't having any second thoughts about riding off into the sunset.
But almost a month later, Favre still hasn't taken the final step to make his retirement official. He hasn't filed his retirement papers with the NFL Management Council.

I am curious about Favre not filing his retirement papers. What if he got all emotional about the Packers not making a second attempt at signing Randy Moss — this playoff team is so far under the salary cap it's ridiculous — that he simply became frustrated and quit? People can make some strange decisions when they get mad about something.

Couple that with his feeling that Coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson weren't exactly begging him to return for another season, and I can see Favre making a knee-jerk reaction. When he retired, Favre said it was tough living up to his image. But even after 17 seasons, he was a top-five quarterback last season. He can still play.

I wrote before that McCarthy seems quite willing to move on without Favre. Aaron Rodgers needs to play before he reaches free agency. But you can bet that neither McCarthy nor Thompson wanted to be known as the men who nudged Favre out of Green Bay. That would amount to political suicide throughout Wisconsin.

The next move belongs to Favre.

If Favre doesn't file his retirement papers pretty soon, the only conclusion is that he is having second thoughts and still wants to play. How wild is that? Well, it isn't totally crazy because retirement is the toughest decision in sports; it's why grown men cry at those press conferences, knowing they will never again play the game that they've loved for years.

But if Favre wants to play, will he force himself back onto the Packers? Or will he ask for his release?

I hate to say this, but Thompson would never give Favre his unconditional release. He can't afford to have Favre playing somewhere else; it's just bad politics.

But, to be honest, if Favre really wants to play again, he would be better off on a team like Baltimore or Tampa Bay, a playoff-caliber team that needs a quarterback shot in the arm. We all know it would simply be a one- or two-year stint.

In the past, whenever a trade seemed to make sense, Favre always said that he'd retire before finishing his career somewhere else. He was old-fashioned; he wanted to keep his legacy intact.

The next move is Brett's. File those papers and the speculation ends. But until he does, fans must wonder what he's really thinking.

gbpackfan
03-28-2008, 07:20 AM
What the hell is this writer talking about? HE ACTS LIKE GREEN BAY ISN'T A PLAYOFF CALIBER TEAM!!!! How far did we make it last year? Hmmm....NFC Championship game. That's the playoffs right? What a moron. Some of these "writers" are absurdly poor at their craft.

MJZiggy
03-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I know what he's thinking. He's thinking he's got other things he'd rather do than deal with paperwork. And if Czarnecki were paying any attention at all, he'd remember that Favre said a lot of those same things he said in that press conference back in Super Bowl week.

And I'm sorry, Baltimore is not a shot-in-the-arm quarterback away from the SuperBowl. Like GB said, that team is Green Bay.

Disclaimer: By saying that I'm not implying that Rodgers cannot be the quarterback that we need, but we're a far more complete team than Baltimore at this point.

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I think his agent is hoping he can take %5 of 12 million and wants to give Favre every chance to come back.

Scott Campbell
03-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Brett seems like the type of guy who stays all over this paperwork filing stuff.

Kiwon
03-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Brett seems like the type of guy who stays all over this paperwork filing stuff.

Ditto.

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 07:50 PM
No player is going to fill out his own retirement papers. That is on the agent. Cook just has to get a signiture. Cook probably doesn't want to file them until he has to just in case Brett changes his mind. Cook has $$ at stake here and all Brett has done so far is verbally retire. There is still hope that Cook can make his extra mil for doing nothing so why file the paperwork?

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
GOD, he finally retires and now we can't help but dispute whether or not he is really going to stay retired. The word "retired" and Favre will be connected forever.

The Shadow
03-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Has Gilbert Brown filed his papers yet?

Pacopete4
03-29-2008, 03:57 AM
this is exactly the sort of shit ive hated since the retirement talk has started.. no matter what brett does or says, someone has an opinion that is greater than his own... its pure stupidity

MJZiggy
03-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Eventually, he'll get around to the paperwork and all this talk will be over--sadly for good. People are just exercising their right to hope against overwhelming evidence.