PDA

View Full Version : Fergie

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-29-2006, 05:07 PM
i know many people think this guy is a bust, but i really believe he not that bad. I think he will really step up this year and become a true number 2 for our team.

If you look at his 2003 and 2004 stats, he was really coming on b4 he got that clothesline from the jags guy. In 2003 if you guys remember he was actually named the starter in almost every game, with walker and driver on the roster.

I say he bounces back this year and i will even go on the record to say he gets a least 800+ yards. I also say Jennings becomes the number 3 by the end of the season.

Harlan Huckleby
05-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I say he bounces back this year and i will even go on the record to say he gets a least 800+ yards. I also say Jennings becomes the number 3 by the end of the season.

Well, we seem to get injuries at WR every year, so some #3 time for Jennings is quite likely. i'd like to seem him earn the #2 spot.

Travbrew
05-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Unfortunately for the last 2-3 years every pack fan has waited for Ferg to break out he never seems to do it. I would love for him to step it up. Hopefully he is over "the clothesline" and will actually try to catch a ball in traffic. This is pretty much his last chance IMO. Can anyone say "Chris Chambers"? DAMN SHERMIE, YOU LOSER!!!!!

Bretsky
05-29-2006, 07:58 PM
i know many people think this guy is a bust, but i really believe he not that bad. I think he will really step up this year and become a true number 2 for our team.

If you look at his 2003 and 2004 stats, he was really coming on b4 he got that clothesline from the jags guy. In 2003 if you guys remember he was actually named the starter in almost every game, with walker and driver on the roster.

Blind Faith is the best argument for the Fraud. We've given him chance after chance after chance and he's failed and shown himself to be an inconsistent below average backup WR.

Just accept him for what he is; a special teams ace who fooled the Green Bay scouts into drafting him way the hell too early.

Regarding the stats, they were never impressive over any period of time; he's the shadow of David Martin.

Both show a little promise and make one or two great plays............everybody jumps on their wagon........and they let us all down.

Personally I'd feel much better if our WR depth chart was

1. Driver
2. Gardner
3. Jennings
4. Boerigter
5. Fergson

Because he's never a guy we can count on so as the #5 he can't disappoint us anymore.

MadtownPacker
05-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Personally I'd feel much better if our WR depth chart was

1. Driver
2. Gardner
3. Jennings
4. Boerigter
5. Fergson

Because he's never a guy we can count on so as the #5 he can't disappoint us anymore.

Harsh but likely reality. The Darius clothesline bought him another year but this is the last chance I'm giving him, really I mean it.

The Leaper
05-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Ferguson has had numerous chances to prove himself...never has. That isn't going to change now. He'd be OK as a #4 WR...and a solid performer on special teams. He's not going to amount to anything more than that.

Fritz
05-30-2006, 11:32 AM
If he plays well this year I'll like him. If he gets hurt or plays like crap I'll sneer at him.

ND72
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
this will be our REAL WR depth chart

1. Driver
2. Ferguson
3. Gardner
4. Jennings
5. Boerieter/Rodgers/Lucas

if we keep 6, which i've read McCarthy might do, the those 3 fight for the final 2 spots.

Badgepack
05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
I's throw in Ruvell Martin fighting for the 6th spot. He has looked good in mini camps.

retailguy
05-30-2006, 12:16 PM

1. Driver
2. Ferguson
3. Gardner
4. Jennings

if we keep 6, which i've read McCarthy might do, the those 3 fight for the final 2 spots.

ND, No way that they keep Gardner/Ferguson & Boerigter. No way. They are all similar receivers and they'll keep a promising project over the third marginal veteran. I'm thinking Boerigter is the odd man out at this point, but one of them will be gone - for sure.

Harlan Huckleby
05-30-2006, 12:29 PM

1. Driver
2. Ferguson
3. Gardner
4. Jennings

maybe, but this is kinda depressing.

Merlin
05-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Ferguson is all blow and no go. He needs to get cut. He has had too many chances to "be number one" and screwed them all up.

Harlan Huckleby
05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
But Fergy is a really, really good tackler on special teams. Rather than take cap hit, might as well keep him on roster even if he does move down depth chart.

Murphy37
05-30-2006, 12:42 PM

1. Driver
2. Ferguson
3. Gardner
4. Jennings

You ain't shitten Blue Dog. Time to give Jeff Quiery a call. Fergie has been a dissapointment no doubt. But like everyone else on our roster, I'll cheer like hell for him to have a great year. We need all the help we can get at that position.

Merlin
05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
But Fergy is a really, really good tackler on special teams. Rather than take cap hit, might as well keep him on roster even if he does move down depth chart.

I can tackle well too. Even I can play on special teams. Throw Carroll in there, he can tackle.

Harlan Huckleby
05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
what's your 40 time, Merlin? Fergy has a good combo of size and speed that makes him a force covering kicks. I wonder why that same intensity doesn't show up in his WR play?

Well, hell, it's a new year, everybody gets a clean slate. I was just hoping that the newer additions at WR would be saviours.

Murphy37
05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
what's your 40 time, Merlin? Fergy has a good combo of size and speed that makes him a force covering kicks. I wonder why that same intensity doesn't show up in his WR play?

Well, hell, it's a new year, everybody gets a clean slate. I was just hoping that the newer additions at WR would be saviours.

Why doesn't it show up when he plays receiver you ask? Well I say it's because of the pressure. Special teams mostly relies on your physical attributes with less pressure involved. Receiver on the other hand......well you've underachieved your whole NFL career, and it's third and long with the game on the line and your scheduled to go across the middle and catch the fast ball of Brett Favre that may or may not be on target. I think Fergie may just be mentaly weak, and too far gone to recover. Kinda like a boxer, he has to believe he is the toughest SOB around, and it is impossible for him to lose. Once he has been knocked out, it is hard to recover that confidence.

Patler
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Ferguson being a great special teams player is more myth than fact. On kicking teams he has had one good (not great) year, 2003. That's it. Henderson has more ST tackles than Ferguson the last four years. Any hardnosed player with speed can replace Ferguson on kicking teams Ferguson has 38 kick returns for a 22.7 average. Those are not numbers that are hard to replace.

Ferguson has lead a charmed existence in Green Bay. He has made more money than his performance deserves. His run will soon end.

the_idle_threat
05-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Does anybody know what the cap hit would be if Ferguson gets cut? I'm thinking it wouldn't be all that much . . .

That being said, I think we wait and see what the guy does in TC before we sharpen the axe. We all have high hopes for our rookies and also for Rod Gardner due to his 1st round pedigree, but perhaps we forget that rookie WRs rarely make an impact, and Gardner was dumped by his last two teams like yesterday's garbage. Neither of Gardner's former teams were stacked at the WR position, so there might be something to his story that we don't know. Ferguson---with all of his warts---might still be our 2nd best receiver at the end of camp.

The Leaper
05-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Ferguson being a great special teams player is more myth than fact.

It isn't just the returns that are being referenced. Ferguson makes a lot of tackles on coverage teams. He's a solid all-around special teams player...it is not a myth.

That said...he is certainly replaceable. He's not an elite return man, and with the youth on the roster we can probably find some other guys to crack skulls on special teams if necessary.

RashanGary
05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Ferguson being a great special teams player is more myth than fact. On kicking teams he has had one good (not great) year, 2003. That's it. Henderson has more ST tackles than Ferguson the last four years. Any hardnosed player with speed can replace Ferguson on kicking teams Ferguson has 38 kick returns for a 22.7 average. Those are not numbers that are hard to replace.

Ferguson has lead a charmed existence in Green Bay. He has made more money than his performance deserves. His run will soon end.

I thought when Ferguson played on punt coverage adn kick coverage that he was unstoppable. He only really played one full season on the coverage teams because they wanted him to focus on WR and also injuries. I think that stat may not be a direct representation of his effectiveness as much as it is a mixture of the coaches wishes, health and effectiveness together.

The times he was healthy and the coaches put him in there, I thought he was the most effective STer we had. I don't like him returning punts or kicks, but on coverage he was awsome.

Henderson played ever ST play over the last 4 years. He has been healthy the whole time. That plays a big part in that stat. When Ferg plays, he ALWAYS beats his guy and is the first on to the PR.

Patler
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Ferguson being a great special teams player is more myth than fact.

It isn't just the returns that are being referenced. Ferguson makes a lot of tackles on coverage teams. He's a solid all-around special teams player...it is not a myth.

That said...he is certainly replaceable. He's not an elite return man, and with the youth on the roster we can probably find some other guys to crack skulls on special teams if necessary.

I referred to his tackles in the first part of my post, before I even mentioned his returns.. As I wrote, Henderson has more tackles the last four years than Ferguson has. Ferguson had one good year with 18 tackles. He has a total of 15 tackles in the other four years combined. What's so impressive about that? He has not been a factor on ST since 2003.

Patler
05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I thought when Ferguson played on punt coverage adn kick coverage that he was unstoppable. He only really played one full season on the coverage teams because they wanted him to focus on WR and also injuries. I think that stat may not be a direct representation of his effectiveness as much as it is a mixture of the coaches wishes, health and effectiveness together.

The times he was healthy and the coaches put him in there, I thought he was the most effective STer we had. I don't like him returning punts or kicks, but on coverage he was awsome.

Henderson played ever ST play over the last 4 years. He has been healthy the whole time. That plays a big part in that stat. When Ferg plays, he ALWAYS beats his guy and is the first on de more money than his performance deserto the PR.

That's not exactly true. Several years ago they tried to take Henderson off ST because he too was a starter and was getting older. It got pretty bad without him there and they put him back in partway through the season.

Maybe Ferguson hasn't played because of his injuries, but that's part of the equation too. If he can't stay healthy enough to play, what good is he?

Focusing on WR instead. Obviously hasn't worked. Maybe he needs the "distraction" of playing ST.

Ferguson had a lot of print in 2003, but did little before then and virtually nothing since. Everyone remembers his one good year, and call him a great special teamer. He's not. Whether its injuries of focus, he just isn't .

Bretsky
05-30-2006, 08:34 PM

1. Driver
2. Ferguson
3. Gardner
4. Jennings

Agree; if we settle on Ferguson as #2 than the rest of the group will have been a disappointment

b bulldog
05-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Your favorite player B

chain_gang
05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't know, every year there's reason to believe Fergie will break out of his disappointing career, but I have just come to the conclusion that he's a bust that can't stay healthy. When I think about Fergie I think of Derrick Mayes, he showed flashes of brillance once in a while, but could never be counted on day in and day out, plus had major injury troubles. I see Fergie like that. I guess it doesn't hurt to try again, but how high is his ceiling, I think he's reached and won't amount to much more than a servicable 3rd or 4th wideout. But with the lack of experience I'll say he makes it one more year in GB.

My predicted Depth chart.

1.) Driver
2.) Jennings
3.) Gardner
4.) Fergie
5.) Lucas
if they keep 6
6.) Ruvell Martin

SD GB fan
05-30-2006, 09:09 PM
driver
fergi
gardner
boegriter
jennings
bookman or martin or rodgers (whoever does better in pads) they might keep two of these guys if they cut gardner or boe

nvr was sold on lucas even if he did well in NFLE

esoxx
05-30-2006, 09:36 PM

His charmed existence was greatly enhanced by GM Sherman giving him the nice four year extension based on....not much really. Just another example of Sherman being in way over his head as GM and going with blind faith that a player will "turn out."

I frankly don't blame Ferguson for his tease. It wasn't his fault the Packers decided to pick him and then, after hardly any production, handing over a contract extension that put Driver's to shame. What's he supposed to do, not sign the deal?