PDA

View Full Version : Expecting the unexpected

DonHutson
03-28-2008, 04:04 PM
There seems to be two parallel lines of thought regarding Ted's execution of the first round draft pick. One line is that there is an obvious need at certain positions, mostly CB, TE, or OL. But that thought is almost always tempered with a comment that Ted will likely do something completely unexpected.

When you add that we have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds that only adds to the expectation because he could pick anything with #1 and still fill the other needs (assuming he even sees them as needs).

So what is the most unexpected pick you can think of that he might plausibly make?

When you look at his almost total disinterest in acquiring a backup QB, I'm starting to wonder if Brian Brohm could be the jaw dropper. I'm not advocating that pick, but one could argue that he might be a better #2 right away than anyone else out there. If he and Rodgers both develop into starting caliber guys then you can parlay one of them into multiple high picks in the near future. And much like Rodgers himself, one could argue he'd be the best player available at #30 if he's still there.

It's not what I would do, but Ted makes a living doing what most of us wouldn't. Thoughts? Other unexpected but potentially justifiable uses for the #1 pick?

GoPackGo
03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
There seems to be two parallel lines of thought regarding Ted's execution of the first round draft pick. One line is that there is an obvious need at certain positions, mostly CB, TE, or OL. But that thought is almost always tempered with a comment that Ted will likely do something completely unexpected.

When you add that we have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds that only adds to the expectation because he could pick anything with #1 and still fill the other needs (assuming he even sees them as needs).

So what is the most unexpected pick you can think of that he might plausibly make?

When you look at his almost total disinterest in acquiring a backup QB, I'm starting to wonder if Brian Brohm could be the jaw dropper. I'm not advocating that pick, but one could argue that he might be a better #2 right away than anyone else out there. If he and Rodgers both develop into starting caliber guys then you can parlay one of them into multiple high picks in the near future. And much like Rodgers himself, one could argue he'd be the best player available at #30 if he's still there.

It's not what I would do, but Ted makes a living doing what most of us wouldn't. Thoughts? Other unexpected but potentially justifiable uses for the #1 pick?

I'd be cool with drafting a QB at the #30 pick.

red
03-28-2008, 04:53 PM
qb in the first would shock me

but wr with the 1st pick would blow me right away. it would be just like the harrell pick last year. you don't really need a WR, just like we really didn't need a DT last year. harrell was a reach in many minds, and any wr taken in the first round this year would be a reach

really after last year, nothing would shock me

packers11
03-28-2008, 04:54 PM

A punter? :lol:

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I think James Hardy is a stud that might slip to our pick. He's a 6'5" WR that was ultra productive at IU. He was a touchdown machine!!

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/viewprorank.asp?ra_key=115 You have to click on the little video camera by his name. The other guy I really like is Manningham. Both guys seem to be big time playmakers in college.

Joemailman
03-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I think the odds are that TT will take a CB, TE or OT in the 1st round, but not because those are obvious needs. Those are probably the 3 strongest positions in the draft. Therefore, there is probably a good chance that a player at one of those positions worthy of a 1st round pick will be available at #30.

I think taking a QB in the 1st round would be a terrible move. It would serve to raise all kinds of questions about whether the Packers believe in Rodgers' ability to be guy to replace Favre. That is the last think Rodgers needs as he tries to establish himself as that guy in the eyes of his teammates.

GoPackGo
03-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I think the odds are that TT will take a CB, TE or OT in the 1st round, but not because those are obvious needs. Those are probably the 3 strongest positions in the draft. Therefore, there is probably a good chance that a player at one of those positions worthy of a 1st round pick will be available at #30.

I think taking a QB in the 1st round would be a terrible move. It would serve to raise all kinds of questions about whether the Packers believe in Rodgers' ability to be guy to replace Favre. That is the last think Rodgers needs as he tries to establish himself as that guy in the eyes of his teammates.

I think what Rodgers deserves is an undisputed shot at being the new QB of the Pack for 2 years. If he's not improving by then, I think it would be good to have another talented QB (with 2 years of being the backup) to push him for his starting QB job in year 3.

Scott Campbell
03-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm hoping Ted finds a DE gem with our pick in the first. We all saw how the Giants got it done in the post season.

texaspackerbacker
03-28-2008, 05:39 PM
In addition to Corner, this is a strong year for Wide Receivers. I also would not be surprised to see Thompson take one in the first or second round, even though we do have five quality WRs plus Holliday coming back.

cheesner
03-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Its not just ARs confidence that you have to worry about, in my opinion, the team's confidence is more important. You don't want a situation where a talented young QB is riding the bench, but some players think he would be a better starter. Dissension of this sort can really rip apart a team.

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm hoping Ted finds a DE gem with our pick in the first. We all saw how the Giants got it done in the post season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKR22maHQBI

Lawrence Jackson was a very productive player at USC. He had a rough season last year while playing DE in a 3-4 (but all DE's have off years if they are stuck at 3-4 DE rather than OLB). Anyway, he fell off the radar with something out of his control. If you look at his production and measurables he compares equally to Chris Long.

Long has slightly better measurables, but still close. Jackson has been more productive throughout his career. He seems to me like a 1st round option but is being listed as a 2nd.

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
CB Antoine Cason
WR Mario Manningham
DE Lawrence Jackson
OT Gosder Cherilus
WR James Hardy

If I had to guess at a few names that might be BPA at #30, these guys stand out to me. All are productive playmakers in college. All consistant. Hardy and Manningham have slight character issues. These are among the top 5 that I think have good chance of being there and being underrated (according to the media).

red
03-28-2008, 06:38 PM

heres a pick for us in the second if TT goes the DE route

Kendall Langford DE, Hampton

http://www.draftace.com/profiles/2008/kendall_langford.htm

The Shadow
03-28-2008, 06:45 PM

I think you are on to something. I have been thinking the same thing recently.

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
This is a list of some of the most productive players in college football over the last couple years. All of these guys have done it well for their entire careers. Some are rated lower, some higher, but all have been good players for their teams.

The guy I think can be the steal of this draft is Martin Rucker. He's right up there with the most productive TE's in this draft. He's had a nagging hammy, but still ran a 4.71 at his proday. He said he can run better and I believe it. Not that 40 time is everything, but this is a guy who's been very productive and looks to have all of the raw talent maybe be something special.

I don't have any OL in here. How do you judge an Olineman with stats? All we have is what they did in college. I'm theorizing that how a player performs in college has a direct relationship on how they play in the NFL. I'm going to track this group of guys and see if college production does matter. These were all guys that I thought were the most consistant and productive so if these guys all kick ass, I'll start to believe you can have some idea of who is going ot produce. If 80% of them flop, I'll give up like Harvey has.

Possible first rounders
CB Antoine Cason 1st
WR Mario Manningham 1st
DE Lawrence Jackson1st
OT Gosder Cherilus 1st
WR James Hardy 1st

Round 2/3
RB Kevin Smith RB 2nd
RB Tashard Choice 2nd
LB Curtis Lofton OLB 2nd
CB Terrell Thomas 2nd
DE Brian Johnston (stolen from someone else, but I thought it was a great find so I'm adding him to the guys I found) 2nd/3rd.
WR Jordy Nelson 3rd
WR DJ Hall 3rd

Mid rounders with skills
TE Martin Rucker
DE Kendall Langford
DE Jason Jones

Late rounders with skills:
WR Earl Bennett
RB Cory Boyd
RB Chad Simpson
RB Danny Woodhead
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Michael Santi
DE Chris Ellis
DE Wallace Gilberry
DE Rudolf Hardy
DE Bryan Mattison

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Ted is said to have personally interviewed and met with this kid. Productive college career but his physical skills are off the charts. Reminds me a little of Osi coming out. Nobody knew of him, but he had it all. Osi was drafted #56, will this guy follow suite?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=68159

According to his pro day numbers, he's the most physically gifted DE over 270 lbs. He runs very fast, has great explosion and short area burst and has been very productive at the small school he attends. He's supposedly shooting up the draft charts. I could easily see him climbing to the 3rd round or maybe even late 2nd if a confident GM like Ted Thompson isn't affraid to pull the trigger on an under-the-radar small school kid.

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
qb in the first would shock me

but wr with the 1st pick would blow me right away. it would be just like the harrell pick last year. you don't really need a WR, just like we really didn't need a DT last year. harrell was a reach in many minds, and any wr taken in the first round this year would be a reach

I disagree, The Packers are three deep at WR. Driver, and Jennings are studs, top tier in the NFL, while Jones is a good third option but seemed to wear out like all rookies at the end of the year. Jones will be good in the NFL, but Martin and Robinson are simply below average wide receivers in the NFL and can easily be replaced. So a number one draft pick could easily come in and take one of their jobs, especially one that can return kicks.

Secondly, Driver is no spring chicken and although he keeps himself in tremendous shape he has had his bumps and bruises over the years, and at most he has two productive years remaining. Getting a top tier WR in this years draft could be a top three receiver for the Packers as early as the 2008 season, and could be a starter in two or three years. Most likely he would be a number 4 receiver in 2008, and 2009, but move up if Driver can no longer compete as a starting receiver.

So I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Packers choose a WR with the number one selection.

Scott Campbell
03-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Ted is said to have personally interviewed and met with this kid. Productive college career but his physical skills are off the charts. Reminds me a little of Osi coming out. Nobody knew of him, but he had it all. Osi was drafted #56, will this guy follow suite?

According to his pro day numbers, he's the most physically gifted DE over 270 lbs. He runs very fast, has great explosion and short area burst and has been very productive at the small school he attends. He's supposedly shooting up the draft charts. I could easily see him climbing to the 3rd round or maybe even late 2nd if a confident GM like Ted Thompson isn't affraid to pull the trigger on an under-the-radar small school kid.

Intriguing. Maybe he will be this year's "I'm smarter than you pick".

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Another sleeper might be Jason Jones DE out of Eastern Michigan, good test numbers, and is a bit of a tweener like Corey Williams.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/jasonjones.html

Bretsky
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd be fine drafting a WR in round one if he was the BPA
Adding weapons can only help

RashanGary
03-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Another sleeper might be Jason Jones DE out of Eastern Michigan, good test numbers, and is a bit of a tweener like Corey Williams.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/jasonjones.html

I saw him too. He's got a lot of tackles for loss. There aren't a lot of sacks but TFL's are a big stat too.

Martin Rucker is the guy I think is really under the radar. I don't remember the exact stats, but I think he mgiht be the most productive TE in this years draft. He just makes plays and he has the physical skills (unlike Carlson from ND).

DonHutson
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Late rounders with skills:

WR Pierre Garcon

Pierre Garcon? Are we talking about the skills to play WR or the skills to pick out a nice wine to go with our escargot?

ahaha
03-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Its not just ARs confidence that you have to worry about, in my opinion, the team's confidence is more important. You don't want a situation where a talented young QB is riding the bench, but some players think he would be a better starter. Dissension of this sort can really rip apart a team.

This must be what the Bears management has been thinking for the past few years.

cpk1994
03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
In addition to Corner, this is a strong year for Wide Receivers. I also would not be surprised to see Thompson take one in the first or second round, even though we do have five quality WRs plus Holliday coming back.Holliday was released.

texaspackerbacker
03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
In addition to Corner, this is a strong year for Wide Receivers. I also would not be surprised to see Thompson take one in the first or second round, even though we do have five quality WRs plus Holliday coming back.Holliday was released.

That's unfortunate--unless he had lingering effects of injury or something.

The main thing I DON'T want the Packers to do is just draft a D Lineman--basically replacing Corey Williams. That would be standing still. If we could spare him, we should have re-signed him. I think, however, we could spare him.

The other thing I DON'T want is a QB in the first, second, or third round.

Just about anything else would be fine, although it would have to be a really hot prospect to justify taking an RB.

The key word is TIT. Get your minds out of the gutters. It stands for Trust in Thompson. Maybe its TITS--Trust in Thompson, stupid.

Anyway, think of TITS on draft day--why should that day be different than any other?

Green Bud Packer
03-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I think he's going ol/dl probably a guard.

cheesner
03-31-2008, 09:29 AM

This must be what the Bears management has been thinking for the past few years.Good point!

Although I am of the opinion that AR is much more likely to succeed in the NFL than grossman.

ahaha
03-31-2008, 10:43 AM

This must be what the Bears management has been thinking for the past few years.Good point!

Although I am of the opinion that AR is much more likely to succeed in the NFL than grossman.

I think A-Rod is going to be a good QB too. But, he hasn't proven to be that franchise type QB yet. I think the Packers should draft a quarterback early, if there's one there that they like. I don't buy into the myth that high draft pick competition is detrimental to a young starter like A-Rod. Derek Anderson and Drew Brees both flourished with that kind of pressure. I'm sure the Bears wish they had found a young QB to compete with Grossman.

Freak Out
03-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Anyway, think of TITS on draft day--why should that day be different than any other?

I'm thinking of some tits right now.