Matt Hasselbeck - Seahawks- 27 - 33 - 60
Damon Huard- Chiefs- 26- 33- 59
Philip Rivers - Chargers - 38 - 17 - 55
Tarvaris Jackson - Vikings - 36 - 19 - 55

Also - Most hits and fewest hits...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3313539

Brohm
03-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Packers gave up only 15 sacks last year :shock: Very nice.

packers11
03-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Packers gave up only 15 sacks last year :shock: Very nice.

Favre had a very quick release... I hope if Rodgers learned anything from Favre, it was that... If he is like David Carr, we could be in for a long ride :lol:

MadtownPacker
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Packers gave up only 15 sacks last year :shock: Very nice.That was all Favre. I saw every game and it could have easily been double.

Brando19
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Packers gave up only 15 sacks last year :shock: Very nice.That was all Favre. I saw every game and it could have easily been double.

Perhaps Rodgers will be able to scramble around and avoid those sacks as well....at least I hope. One or two sacks and his back may be broken.

packinpatland
03-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Quick release and then 'back-pedal'! Brett was good at that.

Guiness
03-29-2008, 07:04 PM
83 for Kitna? Those are David "it's my ball, and I'm going to hold onto it" Carr like numbers.

Gee, I wonder why they faded at the end of the year.

Zool
03-31-2008, 08:09 AM
83 for Kitna? Those are David "it's my ball, and I'm going to hold onto it" Carr like numbers.

Gee, I wonder why they faded at the end of the year.

Check out Mike Martz's QB hits ratings all the way back to when Warner was the QB taking them to the SB. Long routes are the norm in that offense.

Merlin
03-31-2008, 09:12 AM
This is what scares me the most without Favre back there. He did make the offensive line, especially the guards, look better in pass protection then they were. he had that pocket presence and a quick release.

Rodgers may be able to scramble but his release isn't all that quick and if he doesn't learn to look off his primary read, he will be scrambling a lot. Which of course means injury waiting to happen.

One thing I noticed in the Dallas game with Rodgers is that he has a tendency to step up in the Pocket and Favre's tendency was to avoid the pocket when the immediate route wasn't open. It was like Favre always gave himself an out and Rodgers let it collapse behind him.

We have no solid starter at either guard position, Tauscher and Clifton don't have many more years in them and we only have one viable backup for tackle and he is starting at guard. 3 years after taking the helm, Ted Thompson is now entering a 4th season without any direction with this unit. I guess the "I like who we have here" is what we are stuck with until our new franchise QB goes down for the count because of a missed assignment.

The offense is a house of cards and without a solid offensive line, everything else will come tumbling down. It won't matter that we have 5 good WR's when your QB is on his back. Favre didn't let that happen often in his career.

texaspackerbacker
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
True about Rodgers's tendency to step up into the pocket--all QBs are taught that.

The pertinent point about Rodgers in the Cowboys game, though, IMO, is that the extreme pressure which worked against Favre DIDN'T work against Rodgers. And it's NOT like the 'Boys called off the dogs against Rodgers. He just showed enough poise to get rid of the ball successfully.

Possibly, he will have more difficulty, at first, anyway, with complicated and tricky coverage schemes. Hopefully, they can prepare him adequately for that.

Sparkey
03-31-2008, 11:07 AM
This is what scares me the most without Favre back there. He did make the offensive line, especially the guards, look better in pass protection then they were. he had that pocket presence and a quick release.

Rodgers may be able to scramble but his release isn't all that quick and if he doesn't learn to look off his primary read, he will be scrambling a lot. Which of course means injury waiting to happen.

One thing I noticed in the Dallas game with Rodgers is that he has a tendency to step up in the Pocket and Favre's tendency was to avoid the pocket when the immediate route wasn't open. It was like Favre always gave himself an out and Rodgers let it collapse behind him.

We have no solid starter at either guard position, Tauscher and Clifton don't have many more years in them and we only have one viable backup for tackle and he is starting at guard. 3 years after taking the helm, Ted Thompson is now entering a 4th season without any direction with this unit. I guess the "I like who we have here" is what we are stuck with until our new franchise QB goes down for the count because of a missed assignment.

The offense is a house of cards and without a solid offensive line, everything else will come tumbling down. It won't matter that we have 5 good WR's when your QB is on his back. Favre didn't let that happen often in his career.

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Its falling! The Sky"

BooHoo
03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Quick release and then 'back-pedal'! Brett was good at that.

Brett was a hall-of-fame back-pedaler! It was his natural movement after getting rid of the ball.

hoosier
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM

Huh? On what are you basing this? Everything I've ever read about Rodgers has suggested the opposite. Are these reports trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

James Alders' take on Rodgers before the 2005 draft:

He possesses one of the best arms in the draft and can make all the throws with good velocity and touch. He has a quick, strong release, great mechanics, fantastic release point, and pinpoint accuracy. He's also a smart quarterback who makes great reads and few mistakes. He shows tremendous poise in the pocket, is fearless, and is willing to stand in there and take a shot.

In a recent SN column (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391229):

It's difficult to make many conclusive judgments about Rodgers because his body of work is small: seven regular-season games, mostly in mop-up duty, and 59 passes. So the scouting report on him is a bit sketchy. But this is what we think we know: Rodgers has a strong arm and can make all the throws. Some scouts thought the former Cal quarterback came into the NFL with a slight hitch in his delivery, which sometimes resulted in high passes. Now, his mechanics are better, he throws with more accuracy, and he gets rid of the ball quickly.

The Leaper
03-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Rodgers may be able to scramble but his release isn't all that quick and if he doesn't learn to look off his primary read, he will be scrambling a lot.

Nothing wrong with Rodgers' release.

Favre's release played less a factor in terms of his ability to get the ball out than did his experience.

texaspackerbacker
03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Exactly. Brett Favre didn't have a quick release in the Dan Marino sense. But he was uncanny at knowing how much time he had to get rid of it, and doing so in that window. Of course, that did occasionally result in some interceptions and close calls, but not enough to prevent his being the all time greatest NFL QB.

I think Rodgers with his shorter arm movement actually has a quicker pure release than Favre. The question is, can he acquire the basically LEARNED skill Favre had of knowing when to unload it.

Guiness
03-31-2008, 04:25 PM
wow, look what the cat dragged in :shock:

TPB is in the house :P

Agree with the statement - Rodgers may have a slower release, or he may have a faster release than Favre. But Favre could feel the rush, and knew he had to get rid of it - that was far more important.

As Superfan will surely tell us, Doc Holiday may not have been the fastest gun in the west, but he sure knew when it was time to draw!

Partial
03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I agree with Merlin.

mission
03-31-2008, 05:01 PM
ya i especially love the quick release / back pedal / interception instead of just taking a fuckin sack ...

erg... balance, brett, balance...

Noodle
04-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Favre was an absoulte master at feeling the rush and making those small movements to buy him time for a throw. He did not have a Marino release, but then, I've never seen anyone squirt a ball out like that guy could. It also helped last year that the Pack went to shorter routes/drops.

If we stay with a similar emphasis on shorter routes/drops, I think Rodgers will be fine. He'll take a few more sacks than Favre just because he's going to get confused and fooled by coverages more than Favre. But as other posters have noted, I think his mechanics are fine from what I've seen.