PDA

View Full Version : Prayer prevents another child's death

oregonpackfan
03-29-2008, 02:08 PM
In suburban Portland(Oregon City) another child recently died when her parents refused medical treatment in lieu of the treatment of prayer.

This 15 year old child died of pneumonia when her parents refused to allow the doctors to administer antibiotics to her. It is believed by medical authorities that simply receiving the antibiotics would certainly have led to her recovery.

Instead, they relied upon prayer to "cure" her.

The churches cemetary contain dozens of children who have died from common diseases since 1950.

I heard a local clergyman offer the view, "If God has provided us with the knowledge and resources for medical healing, wouldn't he want us to save one of his children." I support his view.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2008/03/oregon_city_parents_indicted_i.html

MJZiggy
03-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't click the link because I hate these stories and they make me angry, but I take solace in the text of the link "oregon_city_parents_indicted..."

BallHawk
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
In cases like this the doctor should just be able to override the parents' request.

GrnBay007
03-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I didn't click the link because I hate these stories and they make me angry, but I take solace in the text of the link "oregon_city_parents_indicted..."

I feel angry over the stories of blatant abuse....these stories make me feel sad more than anything. Goes to show you...when you listen to public opinion concerning politics, medical care, education etc....always take into account religious beliefs of the person preaching. Most often very biased according to their own religious beliefs.

red
03-29-2008, 04:39 PM
give them the chair

thats really pathetic, they are 100% responsible for the childs death and should have to pay the price

and then investigate the church

Deputy Nutz
03-29-2008, 05:00 PM
It appears that God's day planner was full, try again later with other children.

Iron Mike
03-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Here's a thought.....how 'bout turning the parents loose in the wilderness and having God provide for them???

All they have to do is pray, and God will rain down manna from heaven. :roll:

the_idle_threat
03-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Could have been worse. The child could have survived to be raised by parents like that.

Zool
03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
In cases like this the doctor should just be able to override the parents' request.

100% disagreed. You cannot police people from their own ignorance. Its bad enough they have to put warning labels on everything and disclaimers on everything. If God had wanted that girl to live, he would have made those people smarter.

Scott Campbell
03-31-2008, 08:24 AM

Ahh, if it were so simple. Who's to decide where that threshold exists. And how about the outrage when said government entity oversteps its bounds and tramples some families rights.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I just watched Gone, Baby, Gone...ties in directly with this thread.

Excellent movie and will leave you pondering what is the right thing to do with children.

Jimx29
03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Why is the title "Prayer prevents another child's death" if the kid died? :?:

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Why is the title "Prayer prevents another child's death" if the kid died? :?:

The first post also says it was a 15-year-old child when the article says it was a 15-month-old.

It's all a test ... testing our sanity, or maybe our reading comprehension. OPF was a teacher you know.

Joemailman
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Ahh, if it were so simple. Who's to decide where that threshold exists. And how about the outrage when said government entity oversteps its bounds and tramples some families rights.

This is a tough issue. I agree with the argument that medical knowledge is a gift from God and should be utilized. Not everyone believes that however. The Christian Science religion would be basically outlawed if parents can be forced to seek medical attention for their child. Besides, where do you draw the line? No one expects parents to seek medical attention every time a child is ill. So how do you determine when a parent must consult a doctor and when they must not.

hoosier
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM

This is a tough issue. I agree with the argument that medical knowledge is a gift from God and should be utilized. Not everyone believes that however. The Christian Science religion would be basically outlawed if parents can be forced to seek medical attention for their child. Besides, where do you draw the line? No one expects parents to seek medical attention every time a child is ill. So how do you determine when a parent must consult a doctor and when they must not.

I think any parent should be expected to be able to determine when their child's sickness is endangering their health. As a father, if one of my kids was sick and there was a doubt in my mind, I would call the pediatrician. If the boundaries of individual liberty stop when one begins to endanger another person's well-being, then the boundaries of religious tolerance stop there too. If society says it's ok for Christian Science parents to let their child die of a treatable disease because their religion forbids medical treatment, then we have become pure moral relativists. On the other hand, if the parents are too dumb or blind to know the difference between a bad cold and pneumonia, then they should be whacked again with the stupid stick.

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 08:10 PM

I think any parent should be expected to be able to determine when their child's sickness is endangering their health. As a father, if one of my kids was sick and there was a doubt in my mind, I would call the pediatrician. If the boundaries of individual liberty stop when one begins to endanger another person's well-being, then the boundaries of religious tolerance stop there too. If society says it's ok for Christian Science parents to let their child die of a treatable disease because their religion forbids medical treatment, then we have become pure moral relativists. On the other hand, if the parents are too dumb or blind to know the difference between a bad cold and pneumonia, then they should be whacked again with the stupid stick.

In the genitals.

Harlan Huckleby
03-31-2008, 08:18 PM
I had injuries this winter, and the nice lady upstairs treated them with prayer sessions. I played along, even closed my eyes. Look, I don't think there is a God that cares about me and my aching leg, but maybe there is some psychic healing that occurs when friendship & chicken soup are strategically applied.

My pain got worse following each and every prayer session, no kidding.
A certain logic there, perhaps an indication that God really does exist.

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Was there acupuncture involved? Maybe you should have insisted she not use her knitting needles.

hoosier
03-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I had injuries this winter, and the nice lady upstairs treated them with prayer sessions. I played along, even closed my eyes. Look, I don't think there is a God that cares about me and my aching leg, but maybe there is some psychic healing that occurs when friendship & chicken soup are strategically applied.

Sounds like you forgot to pay her. :lol:

MJZiggy
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM

And apparently he hates you...OMG Madtown is GOD????

Harlan Huckleby
03-31-2008, 10:49 PM
What would Tank say?

God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I'll say it again
God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me...Yoko and me... and that's reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
the Dream is Over
Yesterday
I was the Dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the Walrus
But now I'm just John
and so dear friends
you'll just have to carry on
The Dream is over

BallHawk
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
John Lennon died, but he's with God now, so everything is alright.

BallHawk
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Actually, that's a pretty good song, however self-centered it may be.

Harlan Huckleby
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
One era ends and another begins. Now we have Jewel.

BallHawk
03-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Would "changing of the guard" be more appropriate? How about "The torch is passed on"? I gotta a whole book of 'em.

Harlan Huckleby
03-31-2008, 11:01 PM
that picture of brett favre in your avatar looks like he has Down Syndrome and a couple teeth knocked out.

BallHawk
03-31-2008, 11:17 PM
that picture of brett favre in your avatar looks like he has Down Syndrome and a couple teeth knocked out.

It's a hidden allusion to Rain Man, but you were supposed to figure that out yourself.