PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft (I'm really bored)

RashanGary
03-29-2008, 06:47 PM
1st – WR James Hardy (STUD)
2nd – RB Kevin Smith (very productive, looks like great one cut back)
2nd – DE Brian Johnston (could be steal of the draft)
3rd – TE Martin Rucker (Super productive for last 4 years, all the measurables too)
4th – OT/OG John Greco (really good player)
4th comp – CB Brandon Carr (One of the most productive DII corners ever, with all the measurables to boot)
5th – WR Pierre Garcon (playmaker)
7th – DT Tywain Myles (very productive small school player)

RashanGary
03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Yikes a DE and a DT. . . That's OK, I'm not happy with Montgomery, Muir, Cole or KGB long term.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm intrigued by Calais Campbell, the 290 pound 6'8 DE. I wonder if he could play DT in the pros, he could be the next Justin Tuck. Also, he has been falling in recent mocks, so he may be had for a second.

Here’s my mock.

1st – CB Mike Jenkins
2nd – DE Calais Campbell
2nd – RB Chris Johnson
3rd – TE John Carlson
4th – OT Kirk Barton
5th – QB John David Booty
5th (comp. pick?) – FB Peyton Hills
7th – DT Lionel Dotson

Tony Oday
03-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Well the Pack will have 30 picks at the end :) hehe

Charles Woodson
03-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm intrigued by Calais Campbell, the 290 pound 6'8 DE. I wonder if he could play DT in the pros, he could be the next Justin Tuck. Also, he has been falling in recent mocks, so he may be had for a second.

Here’s my mock.

1st – CB Mike Jenkins
2nd – DE Calais Campbell
2nd – RB Chris Johnson
3rd – TE John Carlson
4th – OT Kirk Barton
7th – DT Lionel Dotson

if we got campbell and jenkins in the first 2 rounds, that would be a friken amazing draft

mission
03-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Here’s my mock.

1st – CB Mike Jenkins
2nd – DE Calais Campbell
2nd – RB Chris Johnson
3rd – TE John Carlson
4th – OT Kirk Barton
7th – DT Lionel Dotson

i wasnt so sure at first... well, i guess im still not but still... maybe there's hope...

"He was expected to be an early first round draft pick (Top Ten) in the 2008 NFL Draft, but after running a disappointing 5.03 40-yard dash he is projected to be a late 1st round pick to early 2nd round pick."

where is our pick in the 2nd?

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2008, 10:40 PM

Here’s my mock.

1st – CB Mike Jenkins
2nd – DE Calais Campbell
2nd – RB Chris Johnson
3rd – TE John Carlson
4th – OT Kirk Barton
7th – DT Lionel Dotson

i wasnt so sure at first... well, i guess im still not but still... maybe there's hope...

"He was expected to be an early first round draft pick (Top Ten) in the 2008 NFL Draft, but after running a disappointing 5.03 40-yard dash he is projected to be a late 1st round pick to early 2nd round pick."

where is our pick in the 2nd?

Both 2nd round picks are late.

RashanGary
03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
You guys,

Ted Thompson has shown interest in Brian Johnston (according to nfldraftbible). He's an absolute beast at a small school who constantly battled double teams but played great ball. He went to the Hula Bowl and kicked butt with two sacks and an impressive performance against top competition. He recently went to his pro day weighing 274 lbs and tearing up a 4.66 40 yard dash and a 35" vertical jump. His physical skills are off the charts and higher than any DE in this draft class.

According to draft sites, every single team in the NFL has been in contact with Johnston. I don't think going to last past the 2nd and I would not be suprised if he was scooped up before we make our two 2nd round picks.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Brian%20Johnston,%20Gardner%20Webb.jpg

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics7/200/VY/VYBWLZZAQWTZCNB.20070830195956.jpg

Kid is a straight up player. I honestly think if he wasn't playing at Gardner-Webb, and instead playing at OSU that he'd be getting top 10 consideration. They say he went up against double teams on every single play and it showed by the way he dominated when he got single coverage at the hula bowl against all star RT's. I really believe this guy is special.

It's true that things are a crapshoot to a degree, but look at this guy. Listen to what his coaches say. Listen to him talk. Look at how he kicked ass at his all star game against top competition. Look at how the league he plays in gave him every award possible. Research this guy. Everything about him is top notch and we should have at least one shot at him with our 30th pick, maybe two shots if he makes it through the 2nd (I doubt it). I'm starting to have this guy as the guy I hope we pick with the #30 pick. Everything I read about him says STUD. It just takes a GM who's unaffraid to take a guy earlier than the draftniks rate him and we have a GM that is proven to do that.

If there is one thing we all hope for as football fans (other than the next Brett Favre), it's a stud DE. Look at this guy. He has double digit sack totals written all over him. Not that it means anything, but just look at him. He looks like a stud DE. More importantly he plays like one and he just tested out of this world at his pro day. If there is a position where you want physical talent, it's DE. Really, for having to pick so late in the draft, this is the type of player you should never get a shot at. This is the next Osi, Tuck, Jared Allen or Kampman.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-29-2008, 11:15 PM
I would like to draft a DE high this year. If we could find a guy to dominate next to Kampman, that would make our defense so much better. If the pass rush gets better, the whole defense would become unbelievable.

Other than DE, CB is an obvious need. DT could also use another guy, but after that the defense would be set IMO. LB's should be very good and at safety I think we will be alright. Bigby proved me wrong at the end of the year after I saw how aggressive he was in December and in the playoffs. I absolutely love have a guy like that back there scaring the crap out of wr's. And between Collins and Rouse at the other spot we will do just fine.

On offense we really don't have a need, but could draft depth at almost every position. Tackle and TE are the two positions that need the most depth. Since we didn't sign any free agent G's, TT must think that between Splitz, Colledge, and Barbre we can find a decent starting pair. This leads me to believe that he doesn't draft a Guard high and will see if the guys we have will make significant progress in there second and three years.

So I see CB, DE, TE, and T as the main areas that need to be addressed, but adding a guy fairly high at RB, WR, OG, and even safety is not out of the question.

mission
03-29-2008, 11:37 PM
You guys,

Ted Thompson has shown interest in Brian Johnston (according to nfldraftbible). He's an absolute beast at a small school who constantly battled double teams but played great ball. He went to the Hula Bowl and kicked butt with two sacks and an impressive performance against top competition. He recently went to his pro day weighing 274 lbs and tearing up a 4.66 40 yard dash and a 35" vertical jump. His physical skills are off the charts and higher than any DE in this draft class.

According to draft sites, every single team in the NFL has been in contact with Johnston. I don't think going to last past the 2nd and I would not be suprised if he was scooped up before we make our two 2nd round picks.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Brian%20Johnston,%20Gardner%20Webb.jpg

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics7/200/VY/VYBWLZZAQWTZCNB.20070830195956.jpg

Kid is a straight up player. I honestly think if he wasn't playing at Gardner-Webb, and instead playing at OSU that he'd be getting top 10 consideration. They say he went up against double teams on every single play and it showed by the way he dominated when he got single coverage at the hula bowl against all star RT's. I really believe this guy is special.

It's true that things are a crapshoot to a degree, but look at this guy. Listen to what his coaches say. Listen to him talk. Look at how he kicked ass at his all star game against top competition. Look at how the league he plays in gave him every award possible. Research this guy. Everything about him is top notch and we should have at least one shot at him with our 30th pick, maybe two shots if he makes it through the 2nd (I doubt it). I'm starting to have this guy as the guy I hope we pick with the #30 pick. Everything I read about him says STUD. It just takes a GM who's unaffraid to take a guy earlier than the draftniks rate him and we have a GM that is proven to do that.

If there is one thing we all hope for as football fans (other than the next Brett Favre), it's a stud DE. Look at this guy. He has double digit sack totals written all over him. Not that it means anything, but just look at him. He looks like a stud DE. More importantly he plays like one and he just tested out of this world at his pro day. If there is a position where you want physical talent, it's DE. Really, for having to pick so late in the draft, this is the type of player you should never get a shot at. This is the next Osi, Tuck, Jared Allen or Kampman.

dude -

Johnston's most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas' running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston's time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL's Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event - with Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

THAT IS RETARDED!!!

we cant let anyone find out about this kid lol

mission
03-29-2008, 11:41 PM
i just saw two scouting reports compare him to kampman actually...

RashanGary
03-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Look around the internet, it's out. Everyone is saying they hope they can nab him in the 4th or 5th but then you listen to the kid himself and he's being talked to by every 3-4 team and most of the 4-3 teams.

I'd love to be able to scoop him up in the 2nd round or 3rd if that was possible, but that might not be the case. His coaches love him. His opponents fear him and by all accounts he's a hard working, great guy. Then he goes and absolutely demolishes his proday. He'll get picked early. How early for such a small school? That is debatable, but I would not be suprised if he goes in the end of round 1 to one of the powerhouses with a great GM. Maybe Green Bay.

RashanGary
03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
i just saw two scouting reports compare him to kampman actually...

Yep, and what people don't sometimes realize about Kampman is that he tore up his proday too. Our scouts had him 2nd after Julius Peppers physically (according to JS).

RashanGary
03-29-2008, 11:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3090229

Kampman didn't receive an invitation to the NFL scouting combine, and the elementary education major was student teaching when he had a workout at Iowa, running the 40-yard dash at 4.65.

He said he was reminiscing with Packers scout Lenny McGill, who timed him that day, earlier this week. After the draft, he went to Lambeau Field and had a positional meeting with then-defensive line coach Jethro Franklin.

Kampman said Franklin asked him if he knew why he'd been picked.

"I gave some long litany of 'Well, I try to work hard, and play this way...' He said, 'No, because you ran a fast 40."

Sometimes we don't realize it, but Kamp is an elite athlete. Dominate DE's tend to be.

jmbarnes101
03-30-2008, 12:02 AM
Two Kampman like DE's on the same team? Where do we sign up? C'mon Ted make it happen.

DonHutson
03-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I hold the right to change my mind prior to the draft, but here's what I've worked out:

First of all, I'm going with the idea that Brohm is on the board and we can wheel and deal down into the mid to late 30's, adding a high 3rd rounder. If this does not come to pass, scratch pick 3a who was a luxury pick anyway.

2a. Antoine Cason (CB) 6-0 191 Arizona

We drop a half dozen picks give or take and still get our man. High character, good leader, Packer person. Short term prognosis: Cason challenges Blackmon and Williams for nickel and dime jobs. Long term: Heir apparent to Al Harris.

2b. Pat Sims (DT) 6-2 310 Auburn

Just seems like a Ted pick. He loves stockpiling the big boys for the trenches. Every thing I read about Sims includes the words mean, nasty, athletic, and disruptive. Short term: Splits time with Jolly. Long term: Pickett, Harrell, Jolly, Sims... they just keep coming and coming. Bears, Vikes, and Lions better invest in some tough guards and centers.

2c. Duane Brown (OT) 6-4 315 Virginia Tech

Another Ted pick. Super athletic former TE with good size. Needs some experience, and he'll get the time he needs. Short term: back up to Clifton. Long term: LT of the future?

3a. Jerome Simpson (WR) 6-2 199 Coastal Carolina

This is the luxury pick acquired in the 1st round trade down. K-Rob leaves much to be desired and Ruvell is maxed out as a solid #4. This guy is another Ted pick, small school, fast, productive. Short term: #4 WR. Long term: Should challenge Jones for #2 whenever Driver hangs 'em up.

3c. Terrell Thomas (DB) 6-1 202 USC

Another versatile, physical, high character, good leadership guy. A few nagging injuries and an average 40 time drop him to the back of the 3rd. Has played extensively at S as well. Short term: should be given a fair shot in the wide open race for S jobs. Long term: likely to stay at S, but we'll have to coach him up at both positions and see where he sticks.

4a. Martin Rucker (TE) 6-5 251 Missouri

I agree that Rucker is getting lost in the shuffle a bit. He'll be the best value of all the TE's taken, and we need one. Short term: competes with Humphrey for #2 job. Long term: #2, maybe some starting potential.

4b. Kevin O'Connell (QB) 6-5 225 San Diego State

We need a QB at some point. O'Connell has the physical tools. We have the QB coach. Let's put 'em together and see what happens. Short term: #3 QB. Long term: hopefully a solid #2

5. Chad Rinehart (OG) 6-2 320 Northern Iowa

Good athlete with good size. Should be a good fit for the system. Short term: #4 G. Long term: ?

7. Mike Dragosovich (P) 6-5 212 North Dakota State

Booming leg, with a slow delivery that will require some technique modification. Sound familiar? Let the best prairie punter win.

mission
03-30-2008, 12:05 AM
oh, no....

what i read was like

"johnston is nothing like kampman ... but they're both white, so who knows ?"

jk... i like the kid tho... looking for some youtube video. these are the guys you take a flyer on imo... small school freaks.

mission
03-30-2008, 12:15 AM
3a. Jerome Simpson (WR) 6-2 199 Coastal Carolina

This is the luxury pick acquired in the 1st round trade down. K-Rob leaves much to be desired and Ruvell is maxed out as a solid #4. This guy is another Ted pick, small school, fast, productive. Short term: #4 WR. Long term: Should challenge Jones for #2 whenever Driver hangs 'em up.

i like the reports on this guy too... definite ted type of pick too. super athletic, second highest vert of receivers, ran a 4.38 and a 4.5something on GRASS yet has a "slow" label (good for under the radar)... good game speed, decent size and had 24 bench reps which i feel is a ton for a 200lb guy.

the_idle_threat
03-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Look around the internet, it's out. Everyone is saying they hope they can nab him in the 4th or 5th but then you listen to the kid himself and he's being talked to by every 3-4 team and most of the 4-3 teams.

I'd love to be able to scoop him up in the 2nd round or 3rd if that was possible, but that might not be the case. His coaches love him. His opponents fear him and by all accounts he's a hard working, great guy. Then he goes and absolutely demolishes his proday. He'll get picked early. How early for such a small school? That is debatable, but I would not be suprised if he goes in the end of round 1 to one of the powerhouses with a great GM. Maybe Green Bay.

Or maybe to the Eagles, just like Mike Mamula.

KYPack
03-30-2008, 08:15 AM

This guy is infamous. I was listening to some announcers going over the draft class. They commented on one guy saying", This kid is good, He's not some workout warrior like Mike Mamula."

RashanGary
03-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Right, KY. I don't know all of the details surroudnign Mamula, but this guy was a true dominate force in college who's sacks are not higher only because he saw double teams on every single play he played. His opponents voted him to every award possible and his coaches swear he's going to be a player in the next level as well being a very hard worker.

We all missed him because he's a small school guy, but if you listen he passes the main check for a high pick from a small school. That check is that he dominated his competition and then dominated when he got a chance in the all star games. This kid is more than a workout warrior. He's a great college player with the cieling to be a probowl NFL DE. Far as I know, those type of guys are worthy of high picks (see Osi and Tuck)

The only problem is after that SB everyone is looking for the next Osi and is probably willing to dish a high pick for him. This is that guy.

Bretsky
03-30-2008, 08:52 AM
JH,

Just wanted to thank you for your constant posting of the draft stuff; with a newbie in the family and less interest from me in researching all of this I don't have it in me but I do really enjoy all of your reports.

I still like that TE with all those great highlights that we first posted. He ran a cruddy 40Yd but he showed me a lot of good football instincts in that video. I think he was from Texas A&M or something.

As HW will tell you the fact that I like him probably means he's not a good person and his NFL career may be in huge jeopardy......aka.......Odell Thurman and Robert Meachem

Cheers,
B

Bretsky
03-30-2008, 08:56 AM
From Frank Coyle of Draft Insiders ....

Ahead of the Curve

Notre Dame's John Carlson Heads Fine Tight End Class

POSITIONAL OVERVIEW: Tight Ends - Grade B
This year's tight end group is a fine class with seniors prospects John Carlson, Fred Davis and Dustin Keller all fine performers who should be top 100 selections. With the addition of talented juniors Marcellus Bennett and Jermichael Finley, this group is a fine class of pass catchers who can provide impact in pro passing attacks. This TE class lacks a first round prospect, but it is a solid group of playmakers that is one of the deeper ones in recent years.

Tight Ends

1. John Carlson - 6-5, 250 4.65 - Notre Dame
Sure handed tight end is coming off a weak final season and an offseason illness. His NFL Combine workout was only average but he produced a huge performance at his ND pro day. He ran a 4.67 time and showed well developed receiving skills that moves him to the head of this good class of tight end prospects.

2. Fred Davis - 6-3, 255 4.75 - Southern Cal
Mobile athletic tight end displays fine receiving skills and improving blocking ability to be an early NFL starter.

3. Dustin Keller - 6-2, 245 4.45 - Purdue
Mobile receiving tight end has been very productive over his fine Big Ten career and gives an offense an added dimension in the passing game. He had a great workout in Indy and moved up among the elite TE prospects.

4. Brad Cottam - 6-7, 270 4.65 - Tennessee
Huge senior tight end had a good week at the Senior Bowl after an injury marred final season. He followed that with a good effort at the combine that moves him into the upper echelon of the position.

5. * Martellus Bennett - 6-6, 255 4.65 - Texas A&M
Big athletic junior tight end has the physical package to become a top NFL playmaker. He had a very good effort at the NFL Combine.

6. Kellen Davis - 6-6, 260 4.60 - Michigan St
Huge prospect combines fine size, speed, agility and movement skills. He gets into the deep seam and catching the ball while improving as a blocker

7. * Jermichael Finley - 6-5, 240 4.70 - Texas
Fluid junior tight end displays well developed receiving skills to be a real factor in a pro passing game early in his career. He had a better pro day at Texas than he produced in Indy.

8. Martin Rucker - 6-5, 250 4.75 - Missouri
Athletic senior tight end is a well developed prospect with the ability to fill all the roles for the position. He needs a big pro day after sitting out NFL Combine.

For Top 15 Tight End Prospects go to www.draftinsiders.com

Scott Campbell
03-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Sounds promising, though no longer a sleeper. I'd love to get a DE.

RashanGary
03-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Bretsky, if you go to nfldraftcountdown and click on "rankings" then "TE" you can click on each player and see his school production.

Just about all of those TE's have very few catches in college. Basically, most of them were not even good college players but we want them to be good pros.

There are a couple high potential JR's, but the only TE in this class that has been a dominate college player is Martin Rucker. He has over 2,200 yards I believe (compared to Carlsons 1000) in four years. To me that shows a guys ability to get open and make catches. On top of that, Martin Rucker had a hammy for the last few months and still hammered out big proday numbers for a TE. Rucker is both more physically gifted and more dominate in college. To me, he is the TE that stands out.

RashanGary
03-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Sounds promising, though no longer a sleeper. I'd love to get a DE.

I read everything I could on him. That small league he plays in has all the respect in the world for Brian Johnston. His choaches, teammates and opponents respect him. He's not a sleeper at all. He's listed on most sites as a 5th round pick because of his super small school status, but based on my research he's being looked at by every NFL team and will be drafted with a very early pick (possibly late round one because at that point all of the dominate big school kids will be gone).

3irty1
03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
I still like that TE with all those great highlights that we first posted. He ran a cruddy 40Yd but he showed me a lot of good football instincts in that video. I think he was from Texas A&M or something.

Are you talking about Martellus Bennett? I liked what I saw from him too. He's a monster and they lined him up all over the place. Wouldn't mind seeing him in green and gold.

Charles Woodson
03-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Are you talking about Martellus Bennett? I liked what I saw from him too. He's a monster and they lined him up all over the place. Wouldn't mind seeing him in green and gold.

i think he was talking about jermichael finley from texas, i was pretty impressed with him and his vid

Charles Woodson
03-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Alright, so draft season is my favorite time of year...
My ideal draft would be

1. CB Mike Jenkins, USF,- he really knows how to lock down and play corner

2a. DE Calias Cambell UM-monster body, played on a bad miami team his
senior year and didn't turn in a great combine, but i think he would be
perfect opposite of Kamp.

2b. G Oniel Cousins- Texas El Paso- this is a bad Guard class, cousins is one of the top pass blockers

3. Trade down for a 4th and 5

4. RB Tim Hightower-Richmond- Scouts say hes a good zone runner, decent size 6" and never fumbled with over 700 carries.

4b. TE Jermichael Finley- Texas He'll catch almost anything you throw his way, could develop well with Rodgers

5. DT Alex Fluellen-FSU- He is pretty quick for his size, was injured all last season yet still played well.

5b. T Barry Richardson - Clemson- He would be one who just needs to develop

7. QB Alex Brink- Washington State-very accurate and underrated because of his school

Now i doubt that Jenkins will still be there at 30-if hes not trading down and taking Antonie Cason would be another option, I really believe Corner is our biggest need so any of the top four, Jenkins, McKelvin, Talib, or DRC would be fine with me. If theres a chance that there all gone, other corners that we could get in later rounds would be Tyvon Branch- from Conneticut, Terrell Thomas-USC or Antonie Cason-Arizona

The second round picks imo should be used for ethier Guard, Tackle or BPA... I also dont think that Campbell will last that long.

I know that we dont really need another safety, but Quintin Demps-Texas-el paso- is another guy to watch

Marterllus Bennett would be a great TE addition but will probably be a 2nd- to early 3rd round pick... While Jermichael Finley- could be had with a 4th

Guiness
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing idle -

But you know what? Mamula wasn't that bad

The guy played 4 or 5 seasons (missed one with an injury), and was a 4 down player. He got 30 sacks during his career. Maybe not numbers you hope for out of a top ten pick, but you can't say he was a bust!!!

Scott Campbell
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Have we been told what our compensatory pick is yet?

Guiness
03-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Can't believe most of you don't have TT taking a QB, even if it's in the late rounds.

We've got no one behind Rodgers at all. We have to have a developmental guy there at least.

Bretsky
03-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Have we been told what our compensatory pick is yet?

NO

Bretsky
03-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Can't believe most of you don't have TT taking a QB, even if it's in the late rounds.

We've got no one behind Rodgers at all. We have to have a developmental guy there at least.

TT will take a QB in the draft somewhere

Charles Woodson
03-30-2008, 11:44 PM

i do its the 7th rounder

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 08:06 AM

The guy played 4 or 5 seasons (missed one with an injury), and was a 4 down player. He got 30 sacks during his career. Maybe not numbers you hope for out of a top ten pick, but you can't say he was a bust!!!

I was not aware of that, actually. All you ever hear about Mamula is that he fooled people with his combine workout and was a disappointment.

I looked up his numbers, and his production was just about the same as Justin Smith of the Bengals. Smith was a really high pick too (4th overall), and you don't hear his name thrown around as a bust. Of course, Smith has played longer already and is still going.

I'd still say that Mamula and Smith both are disappointments given where they were picked. (Mamula was 7th overall.) The expectations are higher for top ten guys. They weren't swing-and-misses like our old buddy Jamal Reynolds but they certainly weren't home runs either. I'd call them bunt singles. :)

packrulz
04-01-2008, 04:49 PM
1. Sam Baker, OT, USC. Rarely does a quality LT drop to the 30th pick in the draft, if he's still there, TT has to consider drafting him.
2A. Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana. This guy does what the Packers want CB's to do, play man coverage. He also is a skilled punt returner and special teams guy.
2B. Martellus Bennett, TE, A&M. He's kind of raw yet but could turn out to be better than Bubba or Chewy.
3. Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan. Has prototype size/speed, can play other positions on the defensive line.
4A. Erik Ainge, QB, Tenn. Has good size and a good arm and is tough. With coaching I think he can be a starter someday.
4B. Darnell Terrell, CB, MO. He's a project, he only started 2 years, but has the size & speed you look for. Might be able to challenge at safety too.
5. Andrew Crummey, OG, Maryland. Broke his leg so he'll slip, but a solid prospect.
7. Danny Woodhead, RB, Chadron St. All time college rushing leader wasn't even invited to the combine. Started all 4 years and ran the ball even though everyone knew he was going to run it. He comes from a small school but some team will draft him. Even if TT doesn't I'll be watching where he goes and how he does.

I also predict TT will try to bring in undrafted Tim Bugg, the best long snapper in the draft.

DonHutson
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
1. Sam Baker, OT, USC. Rarely does a quality LT drop to the 30th pick in the draft, if he's still there, TT has to consider drafting him.

I'm not sure about Baker. I keep reading reports that worry about him being too soft. I don't want another John Michels.

Other than athleticism, his main attribute seems to be experience. But odds are, he won't play right away anyway. I'd be content to take a less experienced T later, because he'll have time to grow into the job.

I saw something recently that some teams see Baker as a better candidate for G. If we can plug him in at LG right away, that makes him more interesting. I still wonder about the lack of a mean streak. If we want a good athlete pussyfooting around out there, we can stick with Colledge.

packrulz
04-01-2008, 05:24 PM

I'm not sure about Baker. I keep reading reports that worry about him being too soft. I don't want another John Michels.

Other than athleticism, his main attribute seems to be experience. But odds are, he won't play right away anyway. I'd be content to take a less experienced T later, because he'll have time to grow into the job.

I saw something recently that some teams see Baker as a better candidate for G. If we can plug him in at LG right away, that makes him more interesting. I still wonder about the lack of a mean streak. If we want a good athlete pussyfooting around out there, we can stick with Colledge.

It depends who you believe, some think he's a first rounder, and others think he's soft. He was a 3 time all American first team selection, so I don't think he'd be that much of a reach at 30.

Guiness
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM

I was not aware of that, actually. All you ever hear about Mamula is that he fooled people with his combine workout and was a disappointment.

I looked up his numbers, and his production was just about the same as Justin Smith of the Bengals. Smith was a really high pick too (4th overall), and you don't hear his name thrown around as a bust. Of course, Smith has played longer already and is still going.

I'd still say that Mamula and Smith both are disappointments given where they were picked. (Mamula was 7th overall.) The expectations are higher for top ten guys. They weren't swing-and-misses like our old buddy Jamal Reynolds but they certainly weren't home runs either. I'd call them bunt singles. :)

I used to think the same thing, but then looked him up - and was surprised to find he had a pretty productive college career, and may have been drafted in the first round anyways - all his workout did was move him up a few slots. And he did play, and start, in the NFL, unlike, as you said, Jamal.

I don't know why he is held up at the epitome of the 'workout warrior' :?: