PDA

View Full Version : Packers interested in Raiders CB?

KYPack
03-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Several sites are posting stories about GB's interest in a young Oakland CB.
The Packers, along with several other teams, are keeping their eye on Stanford Routt, the young cornerback that is reportedly on the trading block with the Oakland Raiders. Routt, a former trackman is 6'1", 195. He’s exactly the type of player the Packers need to come in and compete for the nickel corner spot. He’s young (24), has starting experience (he started 14 games for the Raiders last year) and he’s gotten better every year he’s been in the league. The Raiders are said to be looking for a third round pick, which sounds steep, but could turn out to be a good deal if Routt can come in and take over the nickel spot from Day One. It will be interesting to see if Thompson pulls the trigger on this leading up to, or the days of, the draft. This would give the Pack a nickle back and replace the limited Frank Walker and yield a solid young back-up corner for depth.

Routt fits TT's profile of a capable young player who hasn't bloomed just yet. Thompson would not trade a 3rd, but has some multiple picks in the lower rounds and dealing a fourth rounder for Routt would not be out of the question.

falco
03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
the ryan grant trade shows that TT is willing to give up picks for a player he sees as having value (and filling a need).

i know nothing of this guy, but if TT thinks he can be the starter next to Tramon Williams in the coming years, than I think he's worth a late round pick.

BallHawk
03-30-2008, 12:29 PM
For a nickel back he's got a pretty spiffy site....

http://www.sroutt26.com/

KYPack
03-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Really, man.

He's got gear, he's got a professional intro, the whole bit.

He also wears my number.

falco
03-30-2008, 12:38 PM
assuming we take a CB in the draft, trading for him may make some hard decisions come cut time.

Harris and Woodson aren't going anywhere...

Rookie CB isn't going anywhere...

That leaves probably 2 spots for:

Blackmon, Williams, Bush, and this guy if we traded for him

I've got to think Bush is probably gone this year, but I can't see Blackmon gone unless he can't stay healthy again, and I believe Williams is sticking around too.

should be interesting - I wonder if the only way TT pulls the trigger on a trade like this is if he ends up moving Harris in a trade (or Woodson, but I see him sticking a few years longer anyway)

KYPack
03-30-2008, 12:46 PM
assuming we take a CB in the draft, trading for him may make some hard decisions come cut time.

I've got to think Bush is probably gone this year, but I can't see Blackmon gone unless he can't stay healthy again, and I believe Williams is sticking around too.

should be interesting - I wonder if the only way TT pulls the trigger on a trade like this is if he ends up moving Harris in a trade (or Woodson, but I see him sticking a few years longer anyway)

I agree.

I think Bush may have played his way off the team.
He was awful at the end last year and mainly went to the bench and ST. He's no terror on ST and may have no job.

if Blackmon's foot is still aching they may turn their back on him, too.

I'd tend to think TT drafts a corner instead of trading for this guy, but Routt is an intriguing option.

pittstang5
03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Smells like a potential draft day scenario...unless this is all smoke.

I'm sure TT has his eye on a couple guys in the draft at the CB spot. If TT doesn't get who he likes, maybe he trades for this guy.

I'll say this, the CB postition is one that I really want the Pack to look at, just for future concerns. We all know that Harris and Woodson are not getting any younger and Harris's play in the Championship playoff game has me a little worried. I will be really dissappointed if there isn't at least one CB taken (or traded for) in this upcoming draft.

BlueBrewer
03-30-2008, 01:32 PM
It will never happen. As soon as Al sees someone is interested the price will go through the roof.

texaspackerbacker
03-30-2008, 01:51 PM
The price apparently didn't go up for Randy Moss.

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. You can never have too many good Corners. If we get just one, that makes Jarret Bush the #6. If we got this guy and drafted one also, then Bush would be gone--no major loss.

I could see Thompson doing this, then instead of drafting a corner in the 1st or 2nd round, taking one later and having the guy compete with Bush for the last spot.

I think a lot depends on who is available when we pick in the first round.

Scott Campbell
03-30-2008, 01:51 PM
It will never happen. As soon as Al sees someone is interested the price will go through the roof.

Al got a 4th for Moss.

BlueBrewer
03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Fool Al ounce shame on you, fool Al twice shame on him. I would imagine he feels pretty upset over losing that kind of production for a fourth rounder. Granted Moss did nothing in Oakland but Al thinks what if.

DonHutson
03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Fool Al ounce shame on you, fool Al twice shame on him. I would imagine he feels pretty upset over losing that kind of production for a fourth rounder. Granted Moss did nothing in Oakland but Al thinks what if.

That might be true if Al was still in complete control of his noggin'. I have a feeling he thinks Lester Hayes is still on the roster.

BlueBrewer
03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
[quote=BlueBrewer]Fool Al ounce shame on you, fool Al twice shame on him. I would imagine he feels pretty upset over losing that kind of production for a fourth rounder. Granted Moss did nothing in Oakland but Al thinks what if.

That might be true if Al was still in complete control of his noggin'. I have a feeling he thinks Lester Hayes is still on the roster.[/quo

I think you hit the bullseye there.

KYPack
03-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Routt reminds me of AL Harris's profile.

A solid nickel behind two star corners. Those kind of guys can be very solid if you give them a chance.

Both our two old boy corners are missing more and more time. It's good to have a couple young guys who can fill in.

If ancient Al (Davis, ya know, the cryptkeeper with the leather coats) would go for a 4, I'd say pull the trigger.

(Edited for clarity)

3irty1
03-30-2008, 05:33 PM

A solid nickel behind two star corners. Those kind of guys can be very solid if you give them a chance.

Both our two old boy corners are missing more and more time. It's good to have a couple young guys who can fill in.

If ancient Al would go for a 4, I'd say pull the trigger.

Remind me again why we would want to deal our best corner for a 4th round pick?

I like getting talent off of other teams rosters though. And if the guy is half as good as his website then he's the next Deion Sanders.

Brando19
03-30-2008, 05:43 PM

If ancient Al would go for a 4, I'd say pull the trigger.

Remind me again why we would want to deal our best corner for a 4th round pick?

I like getting talent off of other teams rosters though. And if the guy is half as good as his website then he's the next Deion Sanders.

Al Davis...not Al Harris. I say pull the trigger on this guy. He's young and ready to learn from the 2 best corners in football.

Guiness
03-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Really, man.

He's got gear, he's got a professional intro, the whole bit.

He also wears my number.

Nicely done site for sure.

I'm actually a little surprised more players don't have something like this...putting together a really solid site should be able to be done for $10-15K, which isn't big scratch for these guys, and I'm guessing it could be a tax writeoff as well... why wouldn't they?

Guiness
03-30-2008, 07:09 PM

wow - where the f@#$ did that come from?

No way does Woodson or Harris get moved when both are under contract, seemingly happy, and we've got no one ready to step into their spot today! :shock:

If Blackmon or Bush had developed, and were just waiting to start, maybe, but they aren't

falco
03-30-2008, 07:57 PM

wow - where the f@#$ did that come from?

No way does Woodson or Harris get moved when both are under contract, seemingly happy, and we've got no one ready to step into their spot today! :shock:

If Blackmon or Bush had developed, and were just waiting to start, maybe, but they aren't

my point was that TT wouldn't trade for a corner unless he felt they were capable of coming in and starting, not that Woodson or Harris should be put on the trading block.

KYPack
03-30-2008, 08:30 PM
The price apparently didn't go up for Randy Moss.

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. You can never have too many good Corners. If we get just one, that makes Jarret Bush the #6. If we got this guy and drafted one also, then Bush would be gone--no major loss.

I could see Thompson doing this, then instead of drafting a corner in the 1st or 2nd round, taking one later and having the guy compete with Bush for the last spot.

I think a lot depends on who is available when we pick in the first round.

Yeah, I think this is right.

Only thing I'm thinking different is if Moss went for a 4, Al D outta take a 5th for this kid. Bush would defintely be on the bubble in that scenario. I'm real underwhelmed with his act at this point.

The Leaper
03-31-2008, 08:29 AM

I don't think there were many tough decisions, which is why we are in the situation we are in.

We've got 2 aging starters...and probably 3 open spots behind them. We actually need some competition at that position this year to weed out some of the chaff. To me, Bush and Blackmon look like chaff.

I don't care if we draft 4 CBs...get some guys in there hungry to compete and let camp sort it out.

The Leaper
03-31-2008, 08:37 AM
my point was that TT wouldn't trade for a corner unless he felt they were capable of coming in and starting, not that Woodson or Harris should be put on the trading block.

I disagree with you 100% Falco. Grant wasn't pegged as a starter last year when TT acquired him. He was at the bottom of the RB depth chart. He only got a chance due to injuries/poor play by everyone else. I don't see how you can possibly justify your claim that TT will only trade for a guy he thinks can immediately start.

Yeah, we aren't replacing Al or Chuck in 2008...it doesn't mean you ignore the position until they hang it up. The #3 CB is a very important player in today's NFL...especially in our scheme where Chuck prefers to play the slot. You need a guy with experience and talent on the edge.

If TT can get this guy from the Raiders for a 4th rounder, I'd be thrilled. I'd be happy if we got him for a late 3rd rounder...the guy clearly can play in the NFL and has the tools for our system. What late 3rd round pick will have that as a guarantee?

mission
03-31-2008, 12:56 PM

I disagree with you 100% Falco. Grant wasn't pegged as a starter last year when TT acquired him. He was at the bottom of the RB depth chart. He only got a chance due to injuries/poor play by everyone else. I don't see how you can possibly justify your claim that TT will only trade for a guy he thinks can immediately start.

Yeah, we aren't replacing Al or Chuck in 2008...it doesn't mean you ignore the position until they hang it up. The #3 CB is a very important player in today's NFL...especially in our scheme where Chuck prefers to play the slot. You need a guy with experience and talent on the edge.

If TT can get this guy from the Raiders for a 4th rounder, I'd be thrilled. I'd be happy if we got him for a late 3rd rounder...the guy clearly can play in the NFL and has the tools for our system. What late 3rd round pick will have that as a guarantee?

thats a really good point. (sorry, your last one)

he's 24, so he's young ... if we can get an instant nickle back out of the third round this year, that'd be considered a huge draft success. if we can trade for one ahead of time, that just ensures (well, you know) the success.

DonHutson
03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
The previous rumors had the Raiders putting their other backup CB, Fabian Washington, on the market. Routt sounds like a better fit for Green Bay. Washington is faster, but smaller.