PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory picks coming today

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-31-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Monday, March 31, 2008

Compensatory picks coming today

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The NFL is expected to announce the compensatory picks today for next month's NFL draft.

Teams can be awarded extra draft picks based on a complex formula that takes into account players lost in free agency and players gained the previous offseason.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

red
03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
come on third rounder

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM
come on third rounder

That would be cool.

MadScientist
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Who did the Packers lose last year that might be worth a 3rd?

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Nobody. We'll get a sixth.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm guessing a 5th. Anything lower than that will be disappointing.

red
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Who did the Packers lose last year that might be worth a 3rd?

green and david martin i think

we'll probably get a 5th, maybe a 4th if we're lucky

i didn't think the martin loss was a big deal, in fact i was glad he was gone. but the national media thought it was a big deal

and who knows with green, he was a stud, but didn't do much last year. depends on how the league looks at it

BallHawk
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
EDIT.

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
And here I was about to add that expecting a sixth might be too optimistic. Who did we lose?

Ahman Green rushed for 260 yards, which tied him for 67th place in the NFL last season (tied with Tavaris Jackson). Tavaris had more rushing touchdowns.

David Martin had 303 yards receiving, placing him 130th among receivers. To be fair, he was a lofty 28th among tight ends. He did come in 6 spots ahead of Javon Walker, for what it's worth, although Walker played in less than half as many games.

A sixth sounds about right, although I wouldn't be surprised with a seventh. It's my understanding that the player's production on the new team is a huge factor in valuing compensatory picks. I could be wrong. In this case, I'd like to be.

DonHutson
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
It's my understanding that the player's production on the new team is a huge factor in valuing compensatory picks. I could be wrong. In this case, I'd like to be.

Salary has always been a factor as well. Green signed a huge deal with Houston so that works in our favor. If salary is assumed to be reflective of demand, then you can argue he was a player in great demand and we should get something for that. It's not our fault that he was hurt and unproductive for Houston (even if we could see that coming a mile away).

I've been expecting a 4th.

So we'll probably get a 5th just because the NFL likes to twist the knife a little bit.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2008, 12:30 PM
EDIT.

What did you post this time?
:D

BallHawk
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
EDIT.

What did you post this time?
:D

Meant to post in the Brewer thread.

I'm really off my game today, Harv. :D

mission
03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
a 4th would be HUGE!

texaspackerbacker
03-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Is it more determined by the guy's rep and how much money he got? Or is it based on how things looked AFTER the season? That makes a major difference from the Packers standpoint.

I'm thinking 4th the one way and 6th the other.

DonHutson
03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Teams that received 3rd round comp picks in 2007:

Chargers - lost Drew Brees
49ers - lost Julian Peterson
Colts - lost Edgerrin James
Raiders - lost Charles Woodson

Take the Raiders for a complete example, they received a 3rd and a 7th for the following:

OAKLAND Lost: Renaldo Hill, Charles Woodson
Signed: Lance Johnstone

For this, Pittsburgh received a 4th and a 5th:

PITTSBURGH Lost: Chris Hope, Antwaan Randle El, Kimo von Oelhoffen
Signed: Ryan Clark

Take those examples for what they're worth. They're taken from an article you can find here: http://sea.scout.com/2/630122.html

Green's salary and name recognition should be near or even with James or Woodson. His lack of production will lower the compensation, but I still hope for a 4th. Losing Martin and adding Walker might net us an additional 7th.

MadScientist
03-31-2008, 02:15 PM
4th!
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

red
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
not bad

The Leaper
03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm surprised that we got a 4th rounder. Time to start calling the Raiders for that CB.

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
I was wrong. :jig:

Actual production with the new team would seem to be a more rational measure of what the old team lost (i.e. what the guy could have produced for the old team but gave to the new team instead), as opposed to how badly the highest bidder overbid in the free agent auction. But given these results, I'm not complaining.

RashanGary
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
We gave up a high priced, over the hill Green; got a low priced, young up and comer in Grant and then flipped a 6th for a 4th all in one deal. Not bad. And to think half of the forum errupted with fire Ted chants when this stuff went down.

gbgary
03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
We gave up a high priced, over the hill Green; got a low priced, young up and comer in Grant and then flipped a 6th for a 4th all in one deal. Not bad. And to think half of the forum errupted with fire Ted chants when this stuff went down.

well...who knew?!

Guiness
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
TT, apparently :lol:

I know a lot of people were upset about him leaving, but I think many felt his body had taken a beating, and wouldn't stand up much longer. It was hotly debated, but there were certainly a lot here who said 'let him go' when they saw the money thrown at him.

texaspackerbacker
04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
The NOT keeping Green part was a slam dunk.

The Grant half was either really smart or really lucky. I lean toward the idea of Thompson being that smart.