PDA

View Full Version : Vikes - Pack open Monday Night Football

Rastak
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like Rodgers starts out on the big stage/....from PFT.com

VIKES-PACK TO OPEN MNF DOUBLE-HEADER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2008, 12:01 p.m.
The first game of the post-Favre era will be televised nationally on ESPN in prime time.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Green Bay Packers will host the Minnesota Vikings at 7:00 p.m. EDT on Monday, September 8.

A second game, undoubtedly featuring a West Coast team as the home team, will kick off after 10:00 p.m. EDT that same night.

The league is expected to announce the full Week One slate of nationally-televised games and the Thanksgiving Day (and night) contests on Monday.

Permalink | Comments Back to Top

BooHoo
03-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Rodgers in the lime-light right away. Nothing like beginning the season in front of a national audience.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
I like this. He'll be healthy for an important divisional game.
:D

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Big game for A-rod.

Rastak
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
I like this. He'll be healthy for an important divisional game.
:D

He starts out at home too.

red
03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
its good that its at home and not in the shit hole trash bag thing

BallHawk
03-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I like it.

Rastak
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM

They play football games at your house?

SkinBasket
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I hate having to wait until Monday for our opener.

]{ilr]3
03-31-2008, 12:22 PM

:lol:

They play football games at your house?

:lol:

Both those comments made me bust out laughing :lol:

gbgary
03-31-2008, 01:01 PM
I hate having to wait until Monday for our opener.

i hate ANY AND ALL non-sunday-at-noon games!!

Freak Out
03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Nice...even though I hated last years ESPN crew......who is it now?

Gunakor
03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
I think it's the same ESPN crew for MNF, isn't it? IMO they don't necessarily need new announcers, what they need is a new programming schedule that doesn't feature quarter-long appearances by celebrities I could care less about. They need to make it about football again, and as long as Tirico and Kornhole and Jaws can get it done then they will suffice.

On second thought, they should get rid of Kornhole and just let Jaws and Tirico call 'em. 3 people in one booth for one game is too many.

DonHutson
03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
On second thought, they should get rid of Kornhole and just let Jaws and Tirico call 'em. 3 people in one booth for one game is too many.

Three is definitely too many when Kornheiser is one of them. He readily admits (several times per game) that he is not a football expert. The pace of the game doesn't give him a chance to get on a rant and be entertaining (assuming someone finds that entertaining, I don't). So if he offers no knowledge and no entertainment value, what the hell is he doing there? At least Dennis Miller was funny during blowout games with nothing else to offer.

Anyway, you can always turn off the sound and turn on the radio.

K-town
03-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Vikes-Packers, Broncos-Raiders on MNF doubleheader
Posted: Monday March 31, 2008 2:28PM; Updated: Monday March 31, 2008 2:28PM
PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- The Indianapolis Colts will open Lucas Oil Stadium with a prime-time game against the Chicago Bears on the NFL's opening weekend.

The Sept. 7 rematch of the 2007 Super Bowl won by the Colts will be played Sunday night in the new $700 million stadium in Indianapolis. NBC will televise the game.

The Colts plans to play preseason games in the 63,000-seat ballpark in August.

Also on the opening weekend schedule is a prime-time Monday doubleheader on ESPN, with Minnesota visiting the Brett Favre-less Green Bay Packers at 7 p.m. EDT and Denver at Oakland at 10:15 p.m. EDT.

Perviously reported was the Thursday night season opener hosted by the New York Giants. The Super Bowl champions will play Washington, with an earlier-than-usual starting time of 7 p.m. EDT in deference to the final night of the Republican Convention.

The rest of the NFL schedule will be announced later in April.

Pack-man
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Think maybe the Pack retires #4 this night???

Green Bud Packer
03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Glad to see the game will be in Mr. Rodgers neighborhood.

I'm expecting at least 2 more prime time games this year.Playing in the NFC champiopnship game last season helps in that cause. Favre or no Favre the Pack is still a playoff contender.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Glad to see the game will be in Mr. Rodgers neighborhood.

I'm expecting at least 2 more prime time games this year.Playing in the NFC champiopnship game last season helps in that cause. Favre or no Favre the Pack is still a playoff contender.

This year we'll still be in the national spotlight. It will take winning to keep us there.

packers11
03-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Awww I was hoping for an exciting game for the first week... :wink:

twoseven
03-31-2008, 06:14 PM
I like the 6pm start.

GBRulz
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Always a good thing to start out the season with a win!! :pack:

Joemailman
03-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Think maybe the Pack retires #4 this night???

Yep.

MadtownPacker
03-31-2008, 08:03 PM
I hate having to wait until Monday for our opener.Why? The bears and lions lose and we get a shot a being the division leader in week 1.

Unless ARod blows it of course. :smack:

Brando19
03-31-2008, 08:37 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080331/PKR01/80331113/1989&GID=3Faq9QRMYQMTMoMRq2ba95eSp5GufHEgz0RtPx7xjDs%3D

The Green Bay Packers either have enough cachet to remain a draw without Brett Favre or their potential struggles in the wake of his retirement are a curiosity.

Either way, the Packers will open the post-Favre era with a Week 1 “Monday Night Football” game at Lambeau Field against the Minnesota Vikings on Sept. 8.

“There’s no mistaking, certainly from a public perception, the hole that Brett leaves,” Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said today, shortly before the announcement was made at the NFL annual owners meetings.

“That’s going to remain. But the Packers are a very popular franchise, having always been good with television ratings and things like that. We’ve always had our fair share of prime-time games.”

The league announced its opening-weekend schedule today. The Packers-Vikings’ game will kick off at 6 p.m., followed by Denver at Oakland at 9:15 p.m. Both games will be on ESPN.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also revealed the 2008 regular season will open with a Thursday game, with Washington visiting the New York Giants on Sept. 4 (6 p.m., NBC). The other prime-time game in Week 1 is Sunday night, with Chicago at Indianapolis on Sept. 7 (7:15 p.m., NBC).

“I think it’s great,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of the nationally televised opener. “I think it’s a reflection of the success we had as a football team last year. It will be a great way to start the year.”

The opener will put the national spotlight on Favre’s expected replacement, Aaron Rodgers, from the get-go.

“I’m sure from every angle it’s not going to be easy on Aaron, so let’s jump into it,” McCarthy said. “It’ll be good for him to play in a big-game environment.”

The Packers haven’t decided whether they’ll use the opener to retire Favre’s number. The team said last month it plans to honor the recently retired quarterback by officially retiring the No. 4, but Thompson said no decision has been made on a date.

“I think that’s up to the Favres and the organization,” Thompson said. “I think they’ll put their heads together and figure out the best time.”

The rest of the NFL schedule was not announced. There was speculation it could be released this week, perhaps during these meetings that run through Wednesday, but that doesn’t appear likely.

the_idle_threat
03-31-2008, 08:39 PM
IMO they don't necessarily need new announcers, what they need is a new programming schedule that doesn't feature quarter-long appearances by celebrities I could care less about. They need to make it about football again ...

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

cpk1994
04-01-2008, 07:41 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080331/PKR01/80331113/1989&GID=3Faq9QRMYQMTMoMRq2ba95eSp5GufHEgz0RtPx7xjDs%3D

“I think it’s great,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of the nationally televised opener. “I think it’s a reflection of the success we had as a football team last year. It will be a great way to start the year.”

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike. How can you be so nieve. This game was NOT chosen becuase of last year's success. It was chosen becuase, in what I can guarantee ESPN will repeat 10,000,000 times, "This is the first game the Packers will play without Brett Favre". Period.

oregonpackfan
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
The bottom line is that this provides a great opportunity for the Packers to put the Vikings in their place. Starting the season with a loss is the way to keep the Vikings out of contention in the NFC North.

LL2
04-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Has the rest of the schedule been released? I wonder how many nationally televised games they get.

mngolf19
04-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Always a good thing to start out the season with a win!! :pack:

I agree. :wink: :P