PDA

View Full Version : WR Martin signs

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
WR Martin signs, Day 2 of meetings underway

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Receiver Ruvell Martin signed his exclusive-rights contract, according to the transaction file that is sent out to each team.

The Packers haven't announced the signing but it was a forgone conclusion that Martin would return. He doesn't have enough NFL tenure to qualify for free agency.

Day two of the NFL annual owners meetings is underway here at The Breakers hotel. It's not expected to be as busy as yesterday, but check back for updates throughout the day.

Also, I'll be doing a chat from down here throughout the day -- I've already started to answer a few questions -- so if you have anything you'd like to know feel free to submit a question.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Bretsky
04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Ballparks favorite Martin.

Would not surprise me if Ruvell or KRob get let go this year

BallHawk
04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
I like Ruvell Martin.

Bretsky
04-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I like Ruvell Martin.

Will you cheer for him if he gets castaway and goes and signs with the Vikings as Packer castoffs often do ?? :o

packers11
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Ballparks favorite Martin.

Would not surprise me if Ruvell or KRob get let go this year

Krob won't be released... He was a solid #4/5 receiver and was a reliable KR...

Scott Campbell
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
He was a solid #4/5 receiver and was a reliable KR...

I agree with that part. And I also think that by definition those are the guys most subject to roster turnover - especially at his age.

RashanGary
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
If a WR is drafted, there is going to be very stiff competition for that 5th WR spot. I think it's going to be tough for 6 WR's to make the roster with the likely 6 LB's this year and 3rd QB.

BallHawk
04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I like Ruvell Martin.

Will you cheer for him if he gets castaway and goes and signs with the Vikings as Packer castoffs often do ?? :o

Yes.

Bretsky
04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Wait, did we really sign this yahoo, or is this just an April Fool's Joke ??? :lol:

BallHawk
04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Wait, did we really sign this yahoo, or is this just an April Fool's Joke ??? :lol:

If there was an April Fool's Signing joke I think Taco Wallace would be more of an apt choice.

Bretsky
04-01-2008, 09:03 PM

If there was an April Fool's Signing joke I think Taco Wallace would be more of an apt choice.

Somebody should have wrote a story about Favre changing his mind and created a fake URL for everybody to click on from foxsports. That would have been classic.

texaspackerbacker
04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
You guys haven't heard? Ruvell is learning to longsnap.

OK, OK, April fools ........... It is a good idea, though.

Joemailman
04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
You guys haven't heard? Ruvell is learning to longsnap.

He's already the backup holder for place kicks. He'll need to be really quick.

SnakeLH2006
04-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Pheww...I was getting worried our 6th string WR was gonna get away... :roll:

It's his job till training camp when we have 2 rookies competing for his job. Nice guy though.

pittstang5
04-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I like Martin, but with the potential of TT drafting at least one WR in the upcoming draft and the roster pretty packed already at the WR position....he might be on the way out. Nothing against him, but Martin doesn't bring much "extra" to the table. I don't think he plays special teams and if he does, he isn't noticeable. He doesn't return kickoffs or punts.

I smell a potential trade here, problem is - everyone will know that the Packers might be releasing him at the end of TC.

oregonpackfan
04-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I have mixed feelings towards Ruvell Martin. He has height, a good arm span, reasonable speed, good team attitude, etc.

At the same time, he has dropped several crucial passes like the one over the middle in the Giants game. Catching that pass around the Giants' 20 yard line would have converted the first down and extended the drive. The Packers had to punt the ball away after the drop.

run pMc
04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Good signing: he's cheap, and he has a good rapport with Rodgers from the scout team/practice squad. My guess is this played into it somewhat. Holliday was released and I can't remember the deal w/ Bodiford, so this is a good move by TT. Martin was usually pretty surehanded last year (clutch in a few cases). The drop in the NYG game was tough. He wasn't the only one dropping passes that game.
He's a #4 WR at best.
If they draft a WR, it should push the rest of the group...especially Martin and KRob.

BallHawk
04-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I have mixed feelings towards Ruvell Martin. He has height, a good arm span, reasonable speed, good team attitude, etc.

At the same time, he has dropped several crucial passes like the one over the middle in the Giants game. Catching that pass around the Giants' 20 yard line would have converted the first down and extended the drive. The Packers had to punt the ball away after the drop.

That's the only pass I can remember Ruvell dropping that season. He's got good hands.

The only thing holding him back is not getting enough balls thrown his way. If Ruvell makes it through camp, I hope Aaron builds a connection with him. Ruvell could be a #4 WR on any team, a #3 WR on some teams, a #2 WR on the Vikings, a #1 WR on the Bears.

He isn't called Ruvell "Give 'em Hell" Martin for nothing. Kid can play.

The Leaper
04-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Martin is OK. You won't get anything better than him in the #4/#5 WR spot.

MadtownPacker
04-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Not a bad signing. Him and Jennings seemed like the only true red zone threats last season. It wont hurt for Rodgers to have a tall WR to lob the ball to if he gets in trouble inside the 10 yd line.