PDA

View Full Version : Vikings hire espn analyst GM Rick Spielman

No Mo Moss
05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (May 30, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings hired Rick Spielman as vice president for player personnel.

Spielman left the Miami Dolphins in June 2005 after five seasons with the club, including one as general manager. Before that, he was with Detroit from 1990-96 and Chicago from 1997-99. Spielman left the Dolphins as he became increasingly irrelevant with new coach Nick Saban having complete control over the roster.

As general manager, Spielman was widely criticized throughout the 2004 season for personnel decisions. Miami went 4-12 that season, one of the worst records in franchise history.

Spielman replaces Fran Foley, who was fired after three months on the job following a controversy about inaccuracies on his resume and a draft that got mixed reviews.

jack's smirking revenge
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (May 30, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings hired Rick Spielman as vice president for player personnel.

Spielman left the Miami Dolphins in June 2005 after five seasons with the club, including one as general manager. Before that, he was with Detroit from 1990-96 and Chicago from 1997-99. Spielman left the Dolphins as he became increasingly irrelevant with new coach Nick Saban having complete control over the roster.

As general manager, Spielman was widely criticized throughout the 2004 season for personnel decisions. Miami went 4-12 that season, one of the worst records in franchise history.

Spielman replaces Fran Foley, who was fired after three months on the job following a controversy about inaccuracies on his resume and a draft that got mixed reviews.

It occurs to me that Spielman has been increasingly irrelevant whereever he has gone and he really likes the NFL North.

tyler

No Mo Moss
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
True tyler. I've watched him on NFL live and not been very impressed. They may write material for him so I'll throw that out. His performance with the Dolphins was unimpressive at best.

The Leaper
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Spielman showed very little during his stint in Miami. However, I'm sure he IS an upgrade over Foley. There probably isn't much left to choose from at this point for the Vikings.

jack's smirking revenge
05-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Barry Sanders was drafted in '89, I think. Either way, Barry Sanders was on his roster while he was in Detroit. That means he was responsible for building a Detroit team that wasted the talents of one of the greatest RBs of all time. I don't know what his full capacity was at Detroit, but I'd be leery about that. He was also let go from Chicago the year before they drafted Urlacher. The Bears were 14-34 while he was part of that organization.

tyler

mngolf19
05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
While I think this shows the Vikes are trying to do what they can, I don't like the choice. As stated above, their weren't many options at this point but Spielman has failed everywhere he has been. I'm not too happy about this pick. Then again, maybe he just becomes a figure head organizing thoughts and leaves the personnel choices to the guys already there like Studwell.

the_idle_threat
05-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Barry Sanders was drafted in '89, I think. Either way, Barry Sanders was on his roster while he was in Detroit. That means he was responsible for building a Detroit team that wasted the talents of one of the greatest RBs of all time. I don't know what his full capacity was at Detroit, but I'd be leery about that. He was also let go from Chicago the year before they drafted Urlacher. The Bears were 14-34 while he was part of that organization.

tyler

This is what I was thinking too. This guy does not have a history of building powerhouses. Excellent pickup for the 'queens.

Patler
05-30-2006, 02:47 PM
This looks like good news .... for the Packers, Bears and Lions! :mrgreen:

No Mo Moss
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Keep in mind he isn't being brought in for a GM position, he'll have a position similar to what Reggie McKenzie had/has with the pack.

It seems like the Vikings have sucha wierd power structure in their personnel dept. Maybe one of you purples could explain it to me.

jack's smirking revenge
05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Keep in mind he isn't being brought in for a GM position, he'll have a position similar to what Reggie McKenzie had/has with the pack.

It seems like the Vikings have sucha wierd power structure in their personnel dept. Maybe one of you purples could explain it to me.

That's the sense I got too. They do have a wierd org chart, but simply having him as part of the foundation should be enough to spell doom. I don't think he had a GM post at many of his previous tour stops and his teams sucked...

tyler

Rastak
05-30-2006, 05:55 PM

No, you are correct, it's kinda weird. Studwell runs the draft, Speilman chases down the frree agents and Childress most likely makes the final call. Brezeinski is the capologist.