2 60
3 91
4 128
4 135
5 162
7 237

No 6th for Grant
4th for the comp pick
I thought we had another comp pick in the 7th comin?

run pMc
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
8 picks in 7 rounds with half of them in the top 100 is pretty good. For some reason I think the odds of TT trading down a bunch is pretty slim. I wonder if TT will rule out trading for a player or for future picks, though.

More than the last few, it really feels like a "draft for the future" kind of year.

Deputy Nutz
04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
8 picks in 7 rounds with half of them in the top 100 is pretty good. For some reason I think the odds of TT trading down a bunch is pretty slim. I wonder if TT will rule out trading for a player or for future picks, though.

More than the last few, it really feels like a "draft for the future" kind of year.

He might unload one of the second round picks for a high third and a 5th or 6th, but I think that might be the only trade for extra picks. This team has enough youth and it is time to develop the young talent already on this team. Then again that is the way I think, and I don't ever know what Ted Thompson is going to do, he likes to get as many picks as possible in the draft, that is how he builds the team.

RashanGary
04-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I think this team can use a lot more talent. I think we're a year away from having legit depth at most positions.

The Leaper
04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I think this team can use a lot more talent. I think we're a year away from having legit depth at most positions.

I think we currently have legit depth at most positions. May you were referring to elite depth...which is rare in today's NFL anyway.

CB, TE and QB are the areas we are woefully thin, but those are the areas we are likely to address early in the draft or in FA prior to camp. At DL, LB, and WR we have exceptional depth compared to most teams.

Where can draft picks actually expect to contribute in terms of roster slots in 08?

(1 sure) QB - Expect a draft pick in the #3 role.

(1 maybe) RB - Grant, Jackson, Morency, Herron and Wynn are contenders for three spots. None have more than 4 years of experience in the league, so all are young and presumed to still be improving.

(0) FB - Hall and Kuhn are a young, improving 1-2 punch.

(1 sure) TE - Expect a draft pick to have a great chance at the #2 slot.

(1 maybe) OL - Can't see many needs here draft-wise in terms of adding additional inexperienced talent. We have NINE guards on the depth chart currently (Barbre, Colledge, Coston, Keenan, Palmer, Patrick, Spitz, Stephenson, and Walter) and SIX tackles (Clifton, Moll, Tauscher, Thompson, Toledo, Washburn). Of those 15 guys, 11 of them have two years or less of current NFL experience. I can't see how more rookie OL prospects will really help the team. Thompson is apparently content to let the current group continue to develop and hope for improvement from that.

(1 maybe) WR - Two open roster slots...and Robinson, Martin, and Bodiford have a significant leg up on any rookie. It will be tough for a rookie WR to make this squad.

(1 sure, 1 maybe) DL - Cole, KGB, Harrell, Jenkins, Jolly, Kampman and Pickett aren't likely to miss the final roster. That leaves 2-3 spots open. Muir, Hunter and Montgomery have a leg up on any rookies...but certainly could be replaced by some capable ones.

(1 maybe) LB - Hawk, Barnett, Pop and Chillar are on the roster...White probably consumes a spot for his special teams role, so there is only 1 opening at LB. Hodge/Bishop are replaceable though.

(1 sure, 1 maybe) DB - Bigby, Collins and Rouse are in at safety. Culver and Peprah will be hard for a rookie to push out. We have 2 crucial openings behind Wood, Al and Bush...and a rookie or two are likely to play a role there.

(1 maybe) ST - A drafted long snapper really is the only person with a chance to make the roster here.

So, that makes FOUR spots where a rookie is certain to make an impact, and SEVEN where a rookie might make an impact. I would expect at least 3 of those 4 sure slots to be addressed with our top 4 picks. The maybes will be sorted out with later picks and undrafted FAs. With 8 draft picks and undrafted FAs, those 11 spots will be easy to fill.

Deputy Nutz
04-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Would any of you take Mike Hart out of Michigan with the Packer 5th round selection? The kid is a hard working blue collar type back that was successful in the zone blocking scheme in college. He isn't a burner but he does everything at an above average level in college.

He holds on to the football. Catches the ball well, blocks

b bulldog
04-04-2008, 04:03 PM
He is small, slow and lacks any kind of a burst. Great kid with great hands and is a very good lockerrom guy but I'd pass.

cpk1994
04-04-2008, 05:37 PM
He is small, slow and lacks any kind of a burst. Great kid with great hands and is a very good lockerrom guy but I'd pass.
Not to mention injuries are an issue.

texaspackerbacker
04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Excellent roster analysis, Leaper. However, you left out Blackmon and Williams at corner and seemingly elevated Bush over them.

I agree, this will be more a draft for the future. I also doubt Thompson will do much trading down this year.

I don't see an O Lineman taken unless it's a star-quality first rounder who falls.

Pretty much everywhere, it's a matter of draft picks having to beat out decent players.

KYPack
04-04-2008, 08:17 PM

The Senator from Michigan has spoken.

RashanGary
04-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow, leaper. I pretty much disagree with everything you said. I agree that we have a good roster but that is pretty much the extent of the agreement. I don't agree that the bottom end is good. I think they stink and we'd lose if we had to rely on a bunch of them.

Culver, Peprah, Bush, Blackmon, Bishop, Tracy White, Jason Hunter, Mike Montgomery, Daniel Muir, Conrad Bolston, Tony Palmer, Junius Coston, Tony Moll, Morency, Wynn, John Kuhn, Ruvell, Krob, #2 and #3 QB, Punter. . . . .

I think every single position group can be upgraded with talented draft picks. If opportunities come to move back and get a player rated the same as well as another pick, there is no reason the Packers shouldn't do it. That is why I believe the Packers continue to get better - because Ted Thompson is opportunistic and flexible to change. People who box themselves in and close doors based on needs or the percieved lack there of end up missing opportunities to get better. Ted doesn't do that. He just keeps his mind open and takes opportunity as it arises. It sounds simple, but I think many people are not open minded and do close doors rather than just taking advantage of what comes available.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, there we have it--two very diverse opinions of the reserve strength of the Packer roster.

I tend to side with Leaper's point of view--as last season's performance seems to bear out.

The great majority of those listed by JH are IMO, pretty decent players--some with potential to be excellent.

Bretsky
04-05-2008, 07:56 AM
MY TAKE ON PLAYERS MENTIONED BY JH

I'll grade them as undecided, needs improvement (either from them improving or another player), or satisfactory

Culver- NI
Peprah- ,NI
Bush- NI
Mike Montgomery- NI
Conrad Bolston NI
Tony Palmer NI
Junius Coston NI
Tony Moll NI
Punter- NI
Wynn NI- not tough enough)

John Kuhn- UD
Blackmon- UD (like the potential)
Bishop, UD
Jason Hunter UD (I see a lot of talent and potential in this guy)
Daniel Muir UD

Tracy White-S - Special Teams Demon makes him valuable
KROB and RUVELL- We can live with these guys; however if the right guy is there it would not surprise me if one is replaced
Morency S (for the last running back but it's fine if we cut him too)

Fritz
04-05-2008, 08:18 AM
MY TAKE ON PLAYERS MENTIONED BY JH

I'll grade them as undecided, needs improvement (either from them improving or another player), or satisfactory

Culver- NI
Peprah- ,NI
Bush- NI
Mike Montgomery- NI
Conrad Bolston NI
Tony Palmer NI
Junius Coston NI
Tony Moll NI
Punter- NI
Wynn NI- not tough enough)

John Kuhn- UD
Blackmon- UD (like the potential)
Bishop, UD
Jason Hunter UD (I see a lot of talent and potential in this guy)
Daniel Muir UD

Tracy White-S - Special Teams Demon makes him valuable
KROB and RUVELL- We can live with these guys; however if the right guy is there it would not surprise me if one is replaced
Morency S (for the last running back but it's fine if we cut him too)

This made me laugh out loud. Bretsky is doing his analysis, and he knows the names of nobodies like Conrad Bolston - but Jon Ryan is just "punter."

Punters don't get no respect.

DonHutson
04-05-2008, 11:48 AM
[quote=Bretsky]This made me laugh out loud. Bretsky is doing his analysis, and he knows the names of nobodies like Conrad Bolston - but Jon Ryan is just "punter."

Punters don't get no respect.

"Punter" could use some stiff competition, not necessarily from a draft pick but someone who's a legit threat to win the job.

Other than that, I don't really like to look at the draft as an opportunity to replace the low-hanging fruit off the bottom of the roster. For one thing, you don't know how much some guy is going to improve in the off-season. I didn't expect anything out of Bigby or Lee last year. I would have considered them replaceable at draft time.

Just take the best players and if it means you have to cut some guys who are capable of playing in the NFL, isn't that a good thing?

Tarlam!
04-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Mike Mayock has the Pack drafting OT Sam Baker...

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80797d38

RashanGary
04-05-2008, 12:15 PM
All I'm sayin is guys will go down to injury earlier than normal in their career. Guys will retire. Guys will leave for salary reasons. Guys will end up being head cases.

Shit happens. That back end of our roster that everyone feels all cozy with because we "think" they won't play or don't matter will matter some day and many times that day is sooner than you hoped. Hell, even when it's not sooner than you hoped it's still nice to have quality replacements ready.

We can get better. We can get deeper. There is no reason to stop drafting players and even when our depth is good, there is nothing wrong with bringing in even more competition and hopefully make it better.

I do think after this off season that the Packers will be one of the deepest teams in the NFL. Right now I think we're a little above average, but after we solidify some of the back end of the roster with another nice draft and TT takes 50 flyers (maybe hitting on one or two no names) I think it will be incredibly young, deep and strong. We have very few players aging and retiring and a whole crap load of core players entering their prime. I see the Packers just entering their window of opportunity. The big quesiton mark is QB and I'd be OK if we drafted one of those too. Why pass up the opportunity to take a guy you really love? Is Rodgers that much of a sure thing. Even if you end up with two really good QB's, you can always get value for a probowl level QB (Even if both end up probolwers we'll make it work. If one is a probowler, than you keep the best and let the other go. Nothing wrong with having a plan B.) Odds are that neither is a probowler. Might as well start scowering until you find one.

Tony Oday
04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Ah we need a legit nickle back to learn under Woodson and Harris. What we have is crap and that was proved last year...I would also like a Saftey with Collins skills but a nose for the ball he seems to always drop it or just is running around with his head cut off.

Joemailman
04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Sporting News War Room has a 7 round mock draft. I can't post it, but here's their Packer picks:

1 (30) Aqib Talib CB Kansas
2 (56) Dustin Keller TE Purdue
2 (60) Tony Hills OT Texas
3 (91) Chad Henne QB Michigan
4 (128) Roy Schuening G Oregon St.
4 (135) Thomas Brown RB Georgia
5 (162) Keenan Burton WR Kentucky
7 (237) Tim Bugg C Indiana

Bretsky
04-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Sporting News War Room has a 7 round mock draft. I can't post it, but here's their Packer picks:

I'd take that draft right now; I love Talib (who I think will be gone by 30) and Keller in round two would be nice

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Ryan was pretty good last year. Top 14 in punting avergage and net average. If he improves his short field punting, he'll be really good. I thought he had more bad breaks than just terrible punts (like his rookie year) though. I remember a few games where he got screwed because somebody couldn't down a nice punt inside the 5.

Sure, it would be nice if he improved, but he can kick many years in the league averaging over 44 yards/punt with a net of close to 38 (especially considering those numbers came with him kicking in Green Bay half the time).

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2008, 09:24 PM
I strongly disagree that there is anything wrong with our backup Corners--whichever is nickel, dime, etc. Both Will Blackmon and Tramon Williams played decent football and IMO showed the potential and athleticism to emerge as stars. And even Jarrett Bush isn't bad when you think of him as the #5 on the team.

I still wouldn't rule out a Corner as the top pick or maybe a second, considering that the Packers kept six of them last year as well as the age of Harris and Woodson. Talib, Jenkins, Flowers, I've seen each of them in mock drafts going to the Packers.

Regarding the mock draft above, I really don't want Henne. The Purdue TE is a tweener--something like 6'3/240. We can do better than that in the second round. I don't think Thompson cares for that type of player either. Other than that, Thomas Brown is a pretty good RB, and I have to confess to not knowing much of anything about the others. Position-wise, they seem pretty much on target.

Fritz
04-05-2008, 10:54 PM

I'd take that draft right now; I love Talib (who I think will be gone by 30) and Keller in round two would be nice

Keenan Burton? Tim Bugg? Hell Yeah!

Joemailman
04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Bugg is a long snapper. Burton is a legitimate guy who sounds a lot like James Jones.

Fritz
04-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Bugg is a long snapper. Burton is a legitimate guy who sounds a lot like James Jones.

Joe, I admire your knowledge. I'm just having a laugh - that anybody could predict anything beyond the first fifteen or so picks in any given draft is just fun - entertainment. However, I also would like your insight into some of the lower-echelon guys that you think might fit in GB.

KYPack
04-06-2008, 09:03 AM

Keenan Burton? Tim Bugg? Hell Yeah!

Keenan Burton in the 5th?

I really doubt he slips to that low. He's got an NFL body, but doesn't run pro routes, like 90% of the rooks. I'd think somebody will take a flyer on him well before our 5th.

I'd be doing backflips if this mock was our draft. Which must mean it's stupid. I sit way in the back in draft class on Rats. Joe, Nutz, Harve are WAY ahead of my expertise on this topic.