PDA

View Full Version : QB Dixon has excellent NFL workout

oregonpackfan
04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Yesterday, Oregon Ducks quarterback Dennis Dixon had an impressive workout in front of NFL scouts.

He wanted to prove two things: 1. that he could pass well in a pro style pocket passing type of offense 2. That he is recovering well from ACL knee surgery, which he just had 3 and 1/2 months ago.

Dixon did prove that he could pass effectively from the side-out patterns to the deep passes. Though he did not run in the drills, his running ability is incredible if you view his games last year.

It should be noted that while Dixon was used in the Ducks' spread option offense, he was recruited by the Ducks as a pocket passer. In high school, he never scored a running touchdown. It was only in his last two years at Oregon, that the coaches used his remarkable running ability when they switched to a spread option offense.

Dixon had a 67% passing accuracy rate last year--much higher than most running QB's.

Besides his strong athletic ability, coaches admire Dixon for being a high character type of athlete. He has a strong work ethic, is very coachable, and is a positive team leader.

One example of his character came in the game on November 15th, when his knee hideously buckled when he was making a cut. While Dixon was crying on the bench, his Dad came down out of the stands and consoled him about the injury, his season ending, and his Heisman Trophy chances eliminated.

After about 10 minutes, his Dad said to him, "OK, Dennis, you've had enough time to grieve. Get your butt off the bench, go stand on the sideline, and cheer your teammates!"

For the last two games of the season and the Sun Bowl win, Dixon was on the sideline, wearing a headset, and signaling the plays to the on-field quarterback. His encouragement to his teammates was consistently evident.

He is the high character type of player the Packers could use.

My only reservation about Dennis Dixon is his slight frame. At 6'4" and 205 pounds, I am not sure if his body can take the pounding that NFL quarterbacks take.

http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/120727953044330.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

Partial
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
A wonderful college player who will make a career doing something football related. It won't be a pro QB, though. :(

privatepacker
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Dixon is a QB much like Vince Young. I believe him to have the same "it" quality that teams look to when the chips are down.
I'm no expert but considering TT's desire fro VY, can't help but wonder if he plans to make him a choice on draft day.

Partial
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
No way.

Deputy Nutz
04-04-2008, 01:22 PM
A wonderful college player who will make a career doing something football related. It won't be a pro QB, though. :(

Thanks for shedding all of your brilliant wisdom about quarterbacking in the NFL. Have you been contacted by any teams to fill the need as a possible scout or QB coach?

Dennis Dixon has the deck stacked against him in two ways. One he is a black QB that has had ACL reconstruction in the last six months. The other is he played in a spread offense that relied on the QB to attack the defense by using his ability to run.

If he is an athlete that can throw the ball he will have at least a 4 year career as a developmental player at the very least. I will call that a professional career in the NFL.

Partial
04-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Adrian McPhearson could do run and pass but he didn't get a 4 year shot in the league. Dixon is too slight. I don't think he'll get drafted.

Brandon494
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Adrian McPhearson could do run and pass but he didn't get a 4 year shot in the league. Dixon is too slight. I don't think he'll get drafted.

The guy will def. get drafted. Do you even watch college football?

Partial
04-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Too thin. If he does get drafted, it'll be a late round flyer. I think he's a heck of a player, but his game does not translate to the pros at all. Most teams seem to think he'll transition to WR as he measured 6'3.25", 195.

Deputy Nutz
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Adrian McPhearson was a criminal that got booted off the Seminoles for crying out loud. He never proved himself in college. Dixon has put up good numbers in college, he should get at least 3 years in the NFL.

The Leaper
04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Dixon is a solid prospect. Sure, he's thin...but that is what weight training is for. The guy has the frame to carry more weight, and will be expected to do so at the next level.

I wouldn't mind GB using their 4th round freebie pick on Dixon. I think he compares somewhat to Aaron Brooks when he came out of Virginia...who certainly is a guy McCarthy had experience with in NO.

Deputy Nutz
04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I just read Partial's favorite Website, NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN.COM. Now I know where Partial gets all of his thoughts and ideas. I am suprised Partial didn't throw out the move to wide receiver.

I didn't realize that Dixon is such a baseball talent. He might not actually play football if he was a 5th round pick in the baseball draft in 2007.

Partial
04-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Adrian McPhearson was a criminal that got booted off the Seminoles for crying out loud. He never proved himself in college. Dixon has put up good numbers in college, he should get at least 3 years in the NFL.

Not saying he did prove himself in college, but that wasn't specified.

If he is an athlete that can throw the ball he will have at least a 4 year career as a developmental player at the very least. I will call that a professional career in the NFL.

At any rate, we'll see about Dixon. I don't think he's an NFL qb. He doesn't have a strong arm.

The Leaper
04-04-2008, 03:39 PM
At any rate, we'll see about Dixon. I don't think he's an NFL qb. He doesn't have a strong arm.

You would've hated Joe Montana.

SkinBasket
04-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I am suprised Partial didn't throw out the move to wide receiver.

Most teams seem to think he'll transition to WR as he measured 6'3.25", 195.

Partial
04-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I just read Partial's favorite Website, NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN.COM. Now I know where Partial gets all of his thoughts and ideas. I am suprised Partial didn't throw out the move to wide receiver.

I didn't realize that Dixon is such a baseball talent. He might not actually play football if he was a 5th round pick in the baseball draft in 2007.

Actually, I posted that before reading anything. 205 that was in OPFs article is just too thin.

But, it is a good resource.

Partial
04-04-2008, 04:24 PM

You would've hated Joe Montana.

Are you serious? Montana had a WAY better arm than Dixon.

Joemailman
04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Sporting News thinks his best chance may be at WR. They agree he will be lucky to be drafted.

cpk1994
04-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Too thin. If he does get drafted, it'll be a late round flyer. I think he's a heck of a player, but his game does not translate to the pros at all. Most teams seem to think he'll transition to WR as he measured 6'3.25", 195.Can't he put on 20 pounds. What his build is now will not be the same as in 6 months. Idiotic to assume otherwise.

texaspackerbacker
04-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I could definitely see this guys as a 5th or 6th round pick. The article above, if taken at face value, addresses in a positive way the biggest question--arm strength/accuracy. 6'4/205 or 6'3/195 whichever it is, is no string bean. One injury doesn't make him injury-prone.

And if the guy doesn't make it as a QB, you have an athletic wideout who is available as an emergency QB and a "slash" type player, occasional QB options, etc.

Partial
04-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Sporting News thinks his best chance may be at WR. They agree he will be lucky to be drafted.

C'mon now Man, stating common knowledge like this is a bad idea around Nutz. He'll automatically jump to the conclusion that you're preaching from one dude's scouting report :lol:

Partial
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Too thin. If he does get drafted, it'll be a late round flyer. I think he's a heck of a player, but his game does not translate to the pros at all. Most teams seem to think he'll transition to WR as he measured 6'3.25", 195.Can't he put on 20 pounds. What his build is now will not be the same as in 6 months. Idiotic to assume otherwise.

You think its easy to put on 20 pounds of lean mass when you're 22 and running so much? I doubt it. Some people are just born to be slight. He can't help it, and no amount of weight training will change his build that much.

RashanGary
04-04-2008, 09:41 PM
That's what they said to the 6'5" 200 lb Brady when he came out. They said he was a twig and wouldn't last unless he bulked up. Look at him now. Some guys are just slight. Maybe Brady's whole career is a mirrage.

oregonpackfan
04-04-2008, 11:31 PM
At any rate, we'll see about Dixon. I don't think he's an NFL qb. He doesn't have a strong arm.[/quote]

Partial,

You must not have seen the Oregon-Michigan game, which was broadcast on national TV.

Dixon had 2 major long bombs for touchdowns in that game. I watched many a game last season where he connected on all types of passes.

His arm is stronger than you think.

Tarlam!
04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
It's not like OPF to exaggerate simply cause we are scrutinizing a Duck. I trust OPF - he's been watching college QB's a lot longer than most on here... Heck, I haven't been scrutinizing any college players.

But that's only cause I live in cold, wet stupid Germany and the games are at midnight to dawn, and I don't possess a TiVo....

3irty1
04-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I would be very pleased indeed if we drafted Dixon.

The Leaper
04-05-2008, 12:56 PM
You think its easy to put on 20 pounds of lean mass when you're 22 and running so much? I doubt it. Some people are just born to be slight. He can't help it, and no amount of weight training will change his build that much.

Most people's metabolism begins to slow down by the age of 25...which makes it far easier for guys to start putting on weight and keeping it.

Brady is an excellent example. Anyone who is 6'4" should have no problem reaching 220 pounds after a couple years in the NFL. Claiming his build can't change is ridiculous, Partial. His frame is sizeable, and can carry plenty of weight. He wasn't encouraged to gain weight at Oregon because of the spread offense. In the NFL, he will be encouraged to gain weight.

Seriously, Partial...please name the players in the NFL struggling to gain weight. I don't see that as a major problem.

Partial
04-05-2008, 01:01 PM
220 at 6'4" is still pretty damn slight. I'd say 6'4" should be closer to 230-240.

230 - 195 = 35 pounds.

Do you think he'll be able to put on 35 pounds of lean mass? I don't, or he'd be bigger already. It's not like these kids aren't lifting in college.

Like I said, he'll be a receiver, not a QB.

3irty1
04-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Its true, he's got the frame for more muscle. Once he's on the NFL buffet of steroids he could swell into a freak.

run pMc
04-08-2008, 06:43 AM
6'4" 240 is LB size. I think everybody spazzed out when Kerry Collins came out and he was 6'5" 240...much bigger than just about every other QB at the time.
Besides, He can put on the weight. The strength training programs are different in the NFL vs. college.

Brian Brohm is listed at 6'4", between 220 & 225...is that too slight?
Aaron Rodgers is listed 6'2", b/t 220 & 225
VY is listed 6'5", 230-235

I'd be more concerned with accuracy, intangibles, and arm strength than pure height/weight, especially if we're talking about a backup QB.

Zool
04-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Gilbery Brown for QB!

privatepacker
04-08-2008, 07:58 AM
6'4" 240 is LB size. I think everybody spazzed out when Kerry Collins came out and he was 6'5" 240...much bigger than just about every other QB at the time.
Besides, He can put on the weight. The strength training programs are different in the NFL vs. college.

Brian Brohm is listed at 6'4", between 220 & 225...is that too slight?
Aaron Rodgers is listed 6'2", b/t 220 & 225
VY is listed 6'5", 230-235

I'd be more concerned with accuracy, intangibles, and arm strength than pure height/weight, especially if we're talking about a backup QB.

I compare Dixon to a QB who was pretty good in his time. He was also considered too light and went to Canada to prove his worth...Warren Moon.

It only matters if TT thinks he can play and picks him. If another team picks him up and he becomes a star then so be it.

MJZiggy
04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I thought Moon went to play in Canada because they wouldn't let a black dude play QB in the NFL back then. They wanted him to switch to wideout and he wouldn't do it.

Spaulding
04-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Was Moon really that mobile though? I'd think Dixon is more along the lines of Doug Flutie only taller.

All the measurables they post and how this quarterback doesn't have ideal height and this one doesn't have enough upper body strength, etc. makes me scratch my head why they still have a job. Otherwise Dan McGuire/Ryan Leaf/etc. would have been stars.

Game film tells all and if a QB has a slow release, sloppy footwork, gets quite a few balls batted down, etc. the pro level likely won't be kind to them without change in mechanics. What the numbers don't necessarily tell you us how much a gamer a player is or how much a leader and/or if they elevate their team. Those measureables are often undervalued it seems when the draft combine occurs and when pure numbers are posted.

I can't say I saw Dixon play other than the Michigan game (was impressed then) and so would defer to any Pack fans in the West (OPF) but from what little I've seen and all that I've researched and heard this guy is going to make an NFL roster somewhere and potentially surprise quite a few people by being a starter someday. The fact that he took an Oregon team looking like a major player in the BCS as far as he did before gettting injured and watching the team fall apart without out suggests quite a bit to me.

I'd be more than happy if the Packers took a flyer on him with the comp pick or one in the 5th or 7th rounds.

Green Bud Packer
04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Was Moon really that mobile though?

Yes he was.

privatepacker
04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
I thought Moon went to play in Canada because they wouldn't let a black dude play QB in the NFL back then. They wanted him to switch to wideout and he wouldn't do it.

I think if Moon looked more like a QB and less like a receiver...he would have been drafted as a QB in the NFL. I remembered his Rose Bowl and then wondered why he wasn't drafted in the NFL. Race may have been an issue, just didn't know about it in those days. I really loved the way he could move his team both college and pro.

MJZiggy
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
They talked about it some in his introduction to the Hall.