PDA

View Full Version : TT Supporters

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-30-2006, 04:33 PM
I’m still new to this forum and still don’t know many posters. But in an effort to spark conversation and to get a feel for what peoples views are on this forum, I would like to know who do or does not support TT and why.

jack's smirking revenge
05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm not for or against TT. I believe this is his first true, full year as the Packer GM and I believe he deserves our patience. He's made some moves that Packer fans question, by all accounts had a great draft and is choosing his battles wisely. I personally think he is/going to be a great GM, but I think its too early to tell.

(Essentially, I weigh on the side of supporting him.)

tyler

Murphy37
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Smirkie has it right. There has been many lengthy threads in the past discussing this very issue, of coarse you have no way of knowing that. I think most people are taking the wait and see approach. Meanwhile some are taking the "Let's lynch the bastard" approach because of his handlings with Wahle and Rivera, Walker, etc etc. You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelete. If TT can turn this team into a Contender omelete smothered in beer and cheese, I'll eat that bad boy up without silverware. If not, well then we lynch the bastard. He's got 3 years, maybe four depending on year to year improvement. Good to have ya here "PackFan N MD" :lol:

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I still don't know what to think yet. He has done some great things and also some things that I don't agree with.

It's still too early to judge his drafts.

I don't really care that he isn't into signing top $$$ FA's, but I think he waited on things a bit too long this year, especially seeing FA was limited.

M3 is a big, big question mark and will he be THAT much of an improvement over Sherman.

TT did nothing to help the team last year at all. Also let the precious small amount of cap space that we did have, slip through the cracks.

I like how he handled the JW situation before it became a distraction.

Glad he made signing Kamp a priority

Don't like how he seems to have the mentality that guards are easily dispensible.

So, yeah - the jury is still out on what my personal thoughts are on TT. He has a higher approval rating from me than our own President does though, I guess that's positive, right? :wink:

Noodle
05-30-2006, 05:38 PM
TT's biggest move was hiring M3. And we have no way of knowing yet how M3's going to be as an HC. Lots of reasons to question that decision, but I think most folks are willing to see how it pans out.

Things like the Nick Collins pick are enough to give TT the benefit of the doubt at this point on his drafting. Very few people thought that was a good pick at the time (especially me).

I think TT has not been particularly good at the PR/player relations part of the job, but he seems to be capable of learning from past mistakes, like getting Driver taken care of after botching the Walker gig.

But in the end, TT will be judged on M3. I'm staying tuned.

Tony Oday
05-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Im for him. Get rid of the punks, build defense and win championships!!!

ok so he has to win the championships but I like the players he has here.

MadtownPacker
05-30-2006, 06:42 PM
TT is a draft pimp. He is building depth and setting the team up with a well structured roster for the years to come. Good things will happen with TT at the wheel. Just dont get bored when he doesnt drive the team 100MPH.

hurleyfan
05-30-2006, 07:06 PM
I guess at this point in time, I'd have to say 60 / 40 in favor..

Thought he could've done something to keep ONE of the guards (pref Wahle) and make one more serious run at SB w/Favre, maybe do something more to de-fuse the Walker situation..

Agree he's doing a good job of stockpiling young talent (football players), I kind've like the M3 hire (has QB coaching experience.. read Favre and now a young Rogers) just not from a winning program ala Holmgren.

SD GB fan
05-30-2006, 07:29 PM
i love his overall approach toward building a team like drafting and FAs. but i think he shud be more careful with the Oline.

the only thing i fear for TT is that, despite doing the right things, his team might still fail. some things are out of his control like the development of his players, coaching and luck. will he get the right bounce? shud be interesting to discuss after 3 years.

b bulldog
05-30-2006, 08:49 PM
cOUNT ME IN tt'S CORNER ALTHOUGH HE HAS MADE SOME MISTAKES. Personally I would have rather paid $$ to a younger corner with less of an injury history than Woodson. Harv, not all UM players are great!

RashanGary
05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I might be TT's biggest fan. I believe in what he says. He doens't give direct insight into what he is going to do, but his phylosophy is known at this point. His goal is to be a better talent evaluator than the competition and focus on value in all his decisions.

I've written a thousand times why I like the guy, so I'm just going to make it quick.

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
you've posted a bunch of OT polls, too and that doesn't seem to stop you from being repetitive!
:lol:
LOL :mrgreen:

b bulldog
05-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm the king of repitition :D

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
yes, that you certainly are!! but I had to give NC a hard time :wink:

b bulldog
05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
The king of TRUTH!

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 09:11 PM
The king of TRUTH!

Ok, now I'm stumped as to who you are referring to :twisted:

b bulldog
05-30-2006, 09:11 PM
gOOD ONE

Chubbyhubby
05-30-2006, 10:07 PM
I am a TT supporter. I really liked what he did with the draft. Getting rid of Walker will be a turning point I think. The Plus side is that he won't be a distraction in the club house. The Negative side of course his his production. He is way better than Sherman with the draft. We have to wait on how Mike McCarthy does this year.

Bretsky
05-30-2006, 10:08 PM
cOUNT ME IN tt'S CORNER ALTHOUGH HE HAS MADE SOME MISTAKES. Personally I would have rather paid $$ to a younger corner with less of an injury history than Woodson. Harv, not all UM players are great!

You are right there; most of them suck :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Personally I would have rather paid $$ to a younger corner with less of an injury history than Woodson. Harv, not all UM players are great!

Yeah, but there might have only been one, good one out there that fits the criteria, Nate Clements, and he was franchised. Of course, he is a Buckeye. Would have rather had him.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 12:39 AM
you've posted a bunch of OT polls, too and that doesn't seem to stop you from being repetitive!
:lol:
LOL :mrgreen:

Grrrrr :evil:

*That's a joke by the way, I really don't feel evil or angry. My humor is apparently being thought of as anger lately so I must clarify*

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Are you getting some sensitivity training from 007? She did that for Mad and look how much calmer he is lately. He was telling me in a PM how he cleaned the whole house and took his woman out for dinner, then saying how he could never be the man that he is today without a woman's guidance....

BAHAHAHA... I can't even go on :wink:

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm cool. I had a rough stretch there. It was about 2 or 3 things all at once like usual....I'm over it.....

You goin to practice tomorrow?

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm cool. I had a rough stretch there. It was about 2 or 3 things all at once like usual....I'm over it.....

You goin to practice tomorrow?

I don't think I can make it tomorrow. last day of the month, which is always the busiest as it is at work. On a very sad note, our admin at work just lost her mom to a long battle with cancer so alot of us are taking on some extra work while she is out.

Don't worry though, Nick, my hindsight photography will be here soon enough :wink:

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 12:56 AM
I'll probably see you there some day. I'll say hi if I see you.

The Leaper
05-31-2006, 08:31 AM
I like Thompson's draft strategy...he will never drive the team into the ground for lack of depth by stockpiling draft picks. He also seems to take very little chance on the first day picks. He is going to be sold on a guy if he takes them in the first 3 rounds. He seems willing to take smart chances on day two when available. Thompson's background is heavy on the draft, and that is why he shines in that category.

As far as free agency and management decisions...Thompson has shown the ability to make an unpopular decision and stick to his guns. I like that. I'm not completely sold on him in these areas...but he is also learning on the job to some extent, so you have to give him a chance. I don't mind mistakes...I just hate REPEATING the same mistake over and over. If a guy can't learn from his mistake the first time, he isn't a good GM. That was what bothered me with Sherman. He made mistakes in trading up, but continued to do it rather than learn his lesson. He made mistakes in game situations, but continued to do it rather than learn his lesson. Mistakes are going to happen...but you have to learn from them and not let the same mistake happen again.

I was not a fan of extending Sherman. I was not a fan of skipping past Bates as a head coach. Thompson has put a lot of stock into M3...and ultimately his success or failure in Green Bay will ride on his choice of replacement for Mike Sherman.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Are you getting some sensitivity training from 007? She did that for Mad and look how much calmer he is lately. He was telling me in a PM how he cleaned the whole house and took his woman out for dinner, then saying how he could never be the man that he is today without a woman's guidance....

Ha, shows what you know.

Guys will fake anything to get some. You gullible chicas call it "romance", we men call it "kitty corralling".

Patler
05-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Also let the precious small amount of cap space that we did have, slip through the cracks.

What did you mean by that comment?

swede
05-31-2006, 09:10 AM
I support TT and his FA moves. I liked how he handled this year's draft, and if Rodgers and Collins continue to become quality NFL players his first draft went pretty well also.

As for last year's bargain FA bombs, I subscribe to Blue Dawg's Polar Weasel Theory: TT let Sherm slide to 4 - 12 without riding to the rescue. Sherman is gone. Now is different.

Noodle brings up an interesting point. Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff may be the most critical and least examined part of TT's performance thus far. There is so much not to like about the staff's resume's. I don't think many NFL headhunters had San Fran's OC on their hot list of coaching candidates.

By this time next year will focus have moved off of TT and on to the HC? I hope it will be more balanced anyway.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Thompsons biggest decisions:

Hawk
Rodgers
Collins
Wahle
Colledge
Jennings
Murphy
Sharper

This is just a quick, off the top of my head list but I see Wahle as the only real mistake. He could have streched a few contracts out to make Wahle fit. Right now Wahles contract looks good, but with him we wouldn't have Hawk and probably at least one or 2 other picks because we were able to trade out of that high second.

Chubbyhubby
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Thompsons biggest decisions:

Hawk
Rodgers
Collins
Wahle
Colledge
Jennings
Murphy
Sharper

This is just a quick, off the top of my head list but I see Wahle as the only real mistake. He could have streched a few contracts out to make Wahle fit. Right now Wahles contract looks good, but with him we wouldn't have Hawk and probably at least one or 2 other picks because we were able to trade out of that high second.

Perhaps going 4-12 wasn't so bad after all. Lets face it we were going to rebuild anyway after Favre retires next year. I don't think there was much panic last year. Ted Thompson first year at GM was going to clear house anyway. It worked out good that we were 4-12 so we had high draft picks. Sherman was gone before last year even started. We are in a rebuilding faze. Rodgers will start next year and the team will get better over time.

Green Bud Packer
05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
So far I've agreed with most of Thompson's moves at the time they were made. In hindsight some could have been handled better but at the time the move was made i felt it was a good move for the Pack. The Walker situation ,I feel, could have been nipped in the bud but in the long run Rosenhaus didn't get his way and Thompson showed he won't be pushed around. I agree it's too early for a final judgement on Ted although I like what i see so far.

KYPack
05-31-2006, 10:36 AM
I still don't know what to think yet. He has done some great things and also some things that I don't agree with.

let the precious small amount of cap space that we did have, slip through the cracks.

Don't like how he seems to have the mentality that guards are easily dispensible.

GBM, The notion that TT lost cap space thru his own non-action isn't true. That rumor was spread by the "Anti-TT" crowd (lead by you know who).

Actually, TT moved 1,737,071 of 05 cap space into 06.

I actually posted this on JSO when Thompson did it, but that was in the middle of the LJ controversy and miseries, so nobody noticed it.

Guiness
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
ok KY - I'm ignorant of how that is done. Can you tell me how you can move cap space forward?

Can it be done so that it is actual cap space, as opposed to pre-paying a bonus to move a cap it forward?

KYPack
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
ok KY - I'm ignorant of how that is done. Can you tell me how you can move cap space forward?

Can it be done so that it is actual cap space, as opposed to pre-paying a bonus to move a cap it forward?

Philly started this a few years back. Actually you do pre-pay (on paper) a bonus to move that amount of cap space into the next year.

In this specific case, in Dec 05 the Pack assigned a NLTBE bonus to Craig Nall

(Not likey he'll earn that one, eh?) for a 1.7 million. This allows them to move the cap space from '05 into '06.

Teams do this all the time to recoup cap space they were going to lose. 18 teams did this last year.

Here's a list of the teams and amounts:

18 teams used the LTBE loophole to push unused cap room
from 2005 into 2006 by adding an unreachable incentive to a player's
contract in December.
Arizona -- Jeremy Bridges $800,000
Atlanta -- Dwayne Blakley $500,000 (also got a $1,000 raise)
Baltimore -- Aaron Elling $750,000
Chicago -- Gabe Reid $600,000
Cleveland -- Ray Mickens $1,570,431 and John Owens $635,000
Detroit -- Jared DeVries $240,000
Green Bay -- Craig Nall $1,600,000
Houston -- Corey Bradford $2,000,000
Jacksonville -- Quinn Gray $2,800,000
Kansas City -- Tony Richardson $3,682,000
Minnesota -- Joseph Echema $1,909,000
New Orleans -- Terrence Melton $1,668,845
NY Giants -- Frank Walker $1,175,000
Oakland -- James Adkisson $571,804
Philadelphia -- Jack Brewer $6,500,000
San Diego -- Reche Caldwell $500,000
St. Louis -- Dwaine Carpenter $2,820,000
Washington -- Rock Cartwright $1,151,425

Nall's amount was off by 100 grand.

You don't want to be on these lists!

Patler
05-31-2006, 11:18 AM

It is actual cap space. The Packers and many other teams do it this way,

Late December 2005, you have a million left in cap space.

You renegotiate a 2005 contract (GB did it with Nall) to include a performance bonus of one-million in 2005 for performance in 2005 that he will NOT achieve. It has to be something that is defined in the CBA as a "likely to be earned bonus". It then automatically counts against the 2005 cap, "using up" the 2005.

A couple weeks later, when 2005 season ends, the bonus has not been earned. The unearned bonus is then ADDED to the basic cap amount for the team in 2006, increasing it above the standard amount..

Guiness
05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
I think I remember going through this before...

Let me try an example, and see if I get it right.

Give Nall a LTBE bonus, that you know he won't get. For instance, Start One Game :D It would be classified as LTBE by the league, I'm sure.

So, the amount counts against the current year cap. At season's conclusion, he doesn't earn it, so the cap number is 'refunded' to the team in the following year's cap.

Did I get it?

Green Bud Packer
05-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Andrew Brandt was with the Pack when Sherman's teams were at the low end of the totem pole of cap space and he's with the team now and the Pack is at the high end of cap room and will be next year also. Chalk one up for Ted's management style. IMO Thompson will be more active in free agency in '07 with fewer holes to fill and a legit shot at an N.F.C. title with B.Favre leading the way again.

Patler
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
I think I remember going through this before...

Let me try an example, and see if I get it right.

Give Nall a LTBE bonus, that you know he won't get. For instance, Start One Game :D It would be classified as LTBE by the league, I'm sure.

So, the amount counts against the current year cap. At season's conclusion, he doesn't earn it, so the cap number is 'refunded' to the team in the following year's cap.

Did I get it?

Yup, you got it!

Bretsky
05-31-2006, 06:19 PM

I AM TRAUMATIZED READING THIS; MAD IS ON A COLLAR TOO ?

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, KY. I had never heard of moving cap space forward.

Last year, none of us knew the cap would jump as high as it did. I was hoping that with the little money we had, we could have done something with Kampman LAST year.

Actually guys, it wasn't just anti-TT rumors spread by a particular poster, it was some of our regulars saying the exact same thing. But anyhow, thanks for clarifying that!

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 09:46 PM

Ha, shows what you know.

Guys will fake anything to get some. You gullible chicas call it "romance", we men call it "kitty corralling".

Hey, I can put gullible and fake in the same sentence, too :wink: