PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on GB's QB targets in draft

motife
04-04-2008, 05:20 PM
PFW:
April 4, 2008
Packers target backup for Rodgers in draft

There are many in league circles who thought the Packers might have acquired a veteran clipboard carrier by now via trade or free agency to back up new starting QB Aaron Rodgers, whose durability has to be a major concern, considering he’s already suffered two season-ending injuries in limited play. But the way we hear it, it appears the Packers might have been planning all along to find a quality backup for Rodgers in the upcoming draft. They believe the ’08 draft is deep enough at the QB position to unearth a first-day talent similar to Trent Edwards, who turned out to be a great third-round pick for the Bills in ’07. One online draft prognosticator actually has the Packers selecting Louisville’s Brad Brohm with their first pick near the end of the first round (30th overall). But our sources have a hard time envisioning that scenario. “If they take a QB No. 1, the position would become more of an open competition, and I don’t think they want to put Rodgers in that kind of situation,” one veteran team insider told PFW. But drafting a quarterback such as Delaware’s Joe Flacco or Michigan’s Chad Henne with their second or third pick is a much different story. “That’s got potential,” the source said, “especially with the ammo they have that could allow them to move up (the 56th and 60th overall picks, in the second round).”

texaspackerbacker
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I certainly hope and think Thompson won't take a QB on the first day, preferably not in the 4th round either.

Either Nall or some other cheap veteran will undoubtedly be the backup. Having a young prospect is not a bad idea and indeed, sort of a Packer tradition. However, that is only a good idea if it's a low round sleeper pick--which is what I would expect.

falco
04-04-2008, 06:53 PM
i have no problem with us taking a qb in the first day, or the first round.

RashanGary
04-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I would be happy with a first round or second round QB as well. Joe Flacco has a lot of potential. If Thompson thinks a legit QB is there and believes he's better than any other player on the board, I don't think he should pass just because of Aaron Rodgers. I'm as hopefull of Rodgers as the next guy but I'm not ready to put all of our eggs in his basket.

KYPack
04-04-2008, 08:10 PM
We get Flacco with one of the 2's or the 3rd & a June 1 cut down veteran (One of Tampa's mebbe) & I'm happy.

Lurker64
04-04-2008, 08:10 PM
I'd be happy with Flacco fairly early, but I just plain do not want Brohm. Not even on day 2. Brohm's a system QB with questionable leadership and questionable intestinal fortitude.

motife
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't think it would hurt Aaron Rodgers to draft a QB VERY high this year. It would send him a message. Produce or we're going in a different direction.

And as PFW says, he's had 2 season ending injuries in 2 years hardly playing at all.

Gunakor
04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't see them drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds, but if Flacco or Booty or Brohm or some other 2nd round talent falls to the 3rd I could see us taking one there. If they really are looking for a guy that could be our #2 right away I don't think they should wait any longer than our compensatory pick at the end of the 4th round.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't know a thing about this Flacco character, but I get this feeling he will suck in the NFL. Every year there's a buzz surrounding some relatively unknown QB heading into the draft, and that player usually ends up bombing in the NFL.

Lurker64
04-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know a thing about this Flacco character, but I get this feeling he will suck in the NFL. Every year there's a buzz surrounding some relatively unknown QB heading into the draft, and that player usually ends up bombing in the NFL.

Cutler recently is a notable exception. Small school guy with an unspectacular college career who had tremendous "buzz", "upside", "potential", and "intangibles" who has played pretty well in the NFL.

Carolina_Packer
04-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Does anyone think highly of getting Josh Johnson from University of San Diego? The guy was pretty good in college, albeit at a lesser program. Could be a sleeper pick.

Charles Woodson
04-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Cutler recently is a notable exception. Small school guy with an unspectacular college career who had tremendous "buzz", "upside", "potential", and "intangibles" who has played pretty well in the NFL.

but Cutler played at an SEC school, at least he played against the top competition in College football

Badgerinmaine
04-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Since when is Vanderbilt a small school?

Lurker64
04-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Since when is Vanderbilt a small school?

They're certainly small when it comes to "success in college football in recent memory" which was largely what I was thinking of.

Partial
04-04-2008, 09:29 PM
I am sold that Brohm will be a very good player, and I like Henne and Ainge in round 3+. Both of those guys have the kind of potential to be pretty good.

Partial
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd be happy with Flacco fairly early, but I just plain do not want Brohm. Not even on day 2. Brohm's a system QB with questionable leadership and questionable intestinal fortitude.

Why would you take a guy from a small school with a lack of competition against a guy who has continually shown up and carried his team in big games? One is from a pro style offense and thrived in it and one isn't. I don't know much about Flacco but I am skeptical because of his small school roots and lack of pro offense experience.

RashanGary
04-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Ben Rothlisburger is a guy from a small school who's stock rose in his senior year. That Brett Favre fellow as another.

Who knows if Joe Flacco is the guy, but I'm not about to write him off becasue he's a small school kid that's not in the big schools spotlight.

cpk1994
04-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Why would you take a guy from a small school with a lack of competition against a guy who has continually shown up and carried his team in big games? One is from a pro style offense and thrived in it and one isn't. I don't know much about Flacco but I am skeptical because of his small school roots and lack of pro offense experience.

You know better than to try and say that the big school guy is automatically bett than the small school guy. Greg Jennings and Donald Driver would like to chat with you.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm not talking small school vs. big school. I'm talking about the relatively unknown QB that rose up the draft board after the season ended. You barely heard of him throughout they year, and he ended up going in round 2 or 3. I'm thinking Charlie Frye or John Beck or Kevin Kolb.

Partial
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Ben Rothlisburger is a guy from a small school who's stock rose in his senior year. That Brett Favre fellow as another.

Who knows if Joe Flacco is the guy, but I'm not about to write him off becasue he's a small school kid that's not in the big schools spotlight.

People knew Big Ben for a year or two prior and he is a physicial specimen. I don't know about Favre because I'm too young, but what is this Flacco kids deal??

Partial
04-04-2008, 09:48 PM

You know better than to try and say that the big school guy is automatically bett than the small school guy. Greg Jennings and Donald Driver would like to chat with you.

Agreed, but QBing is a totally different ball game imo. I think what sort of offense they run is more important than the school size.

RashanGary
04-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not talking small school vs. big school. I'm talking about the relatively unknown QB that rose up the draft board after the season ended. You barely heard of him throughout they year, and he ended up going in round 2 or 3. I'm thinking Charlie Frye or John Beck or Kevin Kolb.

Good examples.

It's tough. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about quarterback play and how it will transfer to the NFL.

I know Flacco has a legit rocket, is very accurate and is the prototype tall QB who can survey the field from the pocket. Can he play? His numbers last year would suggest he could, but Frye, Beck and Kolb are good examples of why he might never make it. We really never know.

That said, if Ted thinks Brohm or Flacco are the guy I'm OK with it. We might not know, but Thompson is paid to have a pretty damn good idea. The premise of my pro-QB, pro-Flacco stance is that I'm not sold on Rodgers and if Ted likes another guy then I think it would be the right decision to take him.

Fritz
04-04-2008, 10:16 PM
'“If they take a QB No. 1, the position would become more of an open competition, and I don’t think they want to put Rodgers in that kind of situation,” one veteran team insider told PFW.'

That's a ridiculous statement. Absolutely ridiculous. There is not one quarterback in this draft, including Matt Ryan, who could come in and seriously compete with Rodgers. As I said in a previous post, this is not because I think Rodgers is the next coming of Jesus (despite his haircut and beard). It is simply because a rookie QB is a deer in the headlights. No way - no way - a rook can come in and learn the system so well he could actually compete for a number one job at QB.

Who are these Bozos that say/write this stuff?

Chubbyhubby
04-05-2008, 12:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146278

I found his stats on ESPN check it out....

Lurker64
04-05-2008, 12:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146278

I found his stats on ESPN check it out....

It's against meagre competition, but it's still a good statline. I'd personally rather have Flacco (who has a cannon for an arm) than Brohm (who has a Pennington-esque noodle for an arm).

packrulz
04-05-2008, 06:03 AM
They got videos of Flacco and Ainge on youtube, they look pretty good.

Rastak
04-05-2008, 06:43 AM
'“If they take a QB No. 1, the position would become more of an open competition, and I don’t think they want to put Rodgers in that kind of situation,” one veteran team insider told PFW.'

That's a ridiculous statement. Absolutely ridiculous. There is not one quarterback in this draft, including Matt Ryan, who could come in and seriously compete with Rodgers. As I said in a previous post, this is not because I think Rodgers is the next coming of Jesus (despite his haircut and beard). It is simply because a rookie QB is a deer in the headlights. No way - no way - a rook can come in and learn the system so well he could actually compete for a number one job at QB.

Two gthings. Rodgers and a rookie would have the same number of NFL starts. I would agree that Rodgers has a huge advantage. Years behind Favre learning and some NFL game experience. It isn't unherad of to have a rookie start although unlikely. If you take a guy number one, how can there not be at least a competition for #1 in the preseason? I guess if Mr Rookie struggles in OTA's, then it might be an open and shut case.

twoseven
04-05-2008, 07:39 AM
A QB with our first pick? Please, no.

Are any of the supposed quality QBs that might be available three weeks from now any more touted, able, or suitable than Rodgers was out of Cal at the time we selected him a few years ago?

Personally, I think what Rodgers did at Cal surpasses what most, if not all, of this year's rookie QBs did at their schools.

But now AR might not be as good running our offense as some rookie? That #30 could nab us a quality DB, TE, OL, or maybe RB Stewart. Concerning AR's durablity, I still think you have to weigh our immediate needs at other positions and gamble against Aaron holding up. The corners available at the end of the second round versus #30? I don't want that option. If we're ready to trade the two 2's to move up near #30, fine.

Taking a QB at 30 WITHOUT GIVING AR ONE SINGLE SNAP AS OUR STARTER is a joke IMO. To me it would be like drafting a guy at #30 to challenge Justin Harrell for his spot already.

Fritz
04-05-2008, 08:11 AM

Two gthings. Rodgers and a rookie would have the same number of NFL starts. I would agree that Rodgers has a huge advantage. Years behind Favre learning and some NFL game experience. It isn't unherad of to have a rookie start although unlikely. If you take a guy number one, how can there not be at least a competition for #1 in the preseason? I guess if Mr Rookie struggles in OTA's, then it might be an open and shut case.

Sorry Ras - Can't agree with you here, at all. In fact, I think you contradict yourself - you begin by saying that they'd have the same number of NFL starts - which is true but specious - as you indirectly acknowledge in your very next line - "I would agree that Rodgers has a huge advantage."

I stand by my original post. I guess we just disagree.

Rastak
04-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Sorry Ras - Can't agree with you here, at all. In fact, I think you contradict yourself - you begin by saying that they'd have the same number of NFL starts - which is true but specious - as you indirectly acknowledge in your very next line - "I would agree that Rodgers has a huge advantage."

My point, to clarify, is that it isn't at all an outrageous thought to have a rookie QB beat out Rodgers. I am also agreeing that Rodgers has a large advantage. You made it sound like it was inconcievable, and it isn't. It's possible although unlikely.

That was my only point. I'm sure Rodgers would have a natural advantage and coaches bias (they want to give him this shot) in his favor.

SkinBasket
04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
drafting a quarterback such as Delaware’s Joe Flacco or Michigan’s Chad Henne with their second or third pick is a much different story.

I would be physically ill if the Packers selected Henne in any round other than the 7th. He's got a lot more Drew Henson than Tom Brady in him.

Gunakor
04-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I bet only one QB goes in the first round, that being Matt Ryan. And he'll go way before #30. IMO there are no other QB's in this draft that will or even should go in the first round. Flacco, Brohm, Booty maybe - these are all 2nd round QB's. If one or more of these guys falls to #56 or #60 I might consider them, depending on how the draft falls. From all I can tell, however, we could get an adequate backup in the early part of day 2. So I'd have to really be convinced if I am passing on an OT or a second TE to select a QB in the second round that might not ever be a full time starter in Green Bay.

Bretsky
04-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I bet only one QB goes in the first round, that being Matt Ryan. And he'll go way before #30. IMO there are no other QB's in this draft that will or even should go in the first round. Flacco, Brohm, Booty maybe - these are all 2nd round QB's. If one or more of these guys falls to #56 or #60 I might consider them, depending on how the draft falls. From all I can tell, however, we could get an adequate backup in the early part of day 2. So I'd have to really be convinced if I am passing on an OT or a second TE to select a QB in the second round that might not ever be a full time starter in Green Bay.

Gunakor,

You were one of the posters from JS who I enjoyed reading a lot and whose opinion I respect; I'm a bit surprised you continue to be sold that we need a top tier OT early.

I've always had the gut feeling that Tauscher can play 3-5 more years and Cliften 2-4 as well (even though his health has been a bit sporadic as of late). Are you expecting them to break down ? Currently it would appear OT is a strength of our team and I'd much rather like them to take an OG with a first round pick if they go OL. I'm not sold on our OG's yet at all.

Many also feel Colledge will be alrigtht once he gets to move at OT; are you in that camp ? Or do you just think our OT's will soon self destruct injury wise.

If there were positions I'd like to see them avoid in round one they would probably be C, QB, and OT.

Freak Out
04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
As far as I'm concerned you can't have to many good Offensive linemen and would be fine if we took a good one early...but of course my draft strategy is to shoot for a Barry Sanders in every draft as well. :)

Partial
04-05-2008, 11:17 AM
drafting a quarterback such as Delaware’s Joe Flacco or Michigan’s Chad Henne with their second or third pick is a much different story.

I would be physically ill if the Packers selected Henne in any round other than the 7th. He's got a lot more Drew Henson than Tom Brady in him.

Probably true, but I think he could be a very solid back-up.

dissident94
04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
We are in need of a another QB despertaly. Rodgers may be the answer but he not be. We basically have no idea if he is going to be solid. What eveidence do we have. One good half. TT will draft the best player. If it is a qb we take him. Nothing wrong with having two young QBs fighting for the job. Rodgers hasn't earned anything yet. I really think Rodgers will be solid but what if he flops or gets injured where do we turn. I can see a qb in the 3rd, but if one is there with our first 3 picks TT likes I can see him taking one.

Charles Woodson
04-05-2008, 01:08 PM
We are in need of a another QB despertaly. Rodgers may be the answer but he not be. We basically have no idea if he is going to be solid. What eveidence do we have. One good half. TT will draft the best player. If it is a qb we take him. Nothing wrong with having two young QBs fighting for the job. Rodgers hasn't earned anything yet. I really think Rodgers will be solid but what if he flops or gets injured where do we turn. I can see a qb in the 3rd, but if one is there with our first 3 picks TT likes I can see him taking one.

I think Rodgers at least deserves a chance, i mean we the fans dont have much on him, but the coaches have seen him in practice for the last 3 years. i believe that if they didn't like what he was doing in practice then we would have at least signed another one. I think Rodgers is fine, but the only question that we've had with him is durability. I would personally be sad if we drafted a QB before the 4th round, and i would be especially sad if we drafted Brohm.

rbaloha1
04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
First, living in the WAC universe and watching Colledge at Boise State I believe Colledge is a natural left tackle.

Colledge lacks upper body strength but has great footwork. The athleticism is better suited for a left tackle. Just looks more comfortable and confident as a left tackle.

A great qb pick is Colt Brennan. Former Hawaii head coach June Jones stated on a call-in show that Coach McCarthy watched Colt's game tape during the season and was one of 4 teams extremely interested in Colt.

His accuracy is amazing. Toughness and leadership are also strengths. Could be available on the second day due to a surgery prior to the draft.

Dismiss the critics; CB can play in any system.

Partial
04-05-2008, 02:25 PM
First, living in the WAC universe and watching Colledge at Boise State I believe Colledge is a natural left tackle.

Colledge lacks upper body strength but has great footwork. The athleticism is better suited for a left tackle. Just looks more comfortable and confident as a left tackle.

A great qb pick is Colt Brennan. Former Hawaii head coach June Jones stated on a call-in show that Coach McCarthy watched Colt's game tape during the season and was one of 4 teams extremely interested in Colt.

His accuracy is amazing. Toughness and leadership are also strengths. Could be available on the second day due to a surgery prior to the draft.

I actually think he is a decent fit for the WC offense, but no way can he chuck it down the field in a vertical offense. I don't think his arm is that strong. But, Hawaii would chuck up a million 5 yard routes like the Pack do.

I don't know if he's any good because I haven't seen him enough, but I think the knock is his arm strength, but his system experience would translate well to the pack imo.

3irty1
04-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd love to get Colt as a project and I've seen him throw some gorgeous deep balls, I don't think his arm is that bad. Either way he is extremely accurate and has a very quick release. He could be very very good one day.

Gunakor
04-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Gunakor,

You were one of the posters from JS who I enjoyed reading a lot and whose opinion I respect; I'm a bit surprised you continue to be sold that we need a top tier OT early.

I've always had the gut feeling that Tauscher can play 3-5 more years and Cliften 2-4 as well (even though his health has been a bit sporadic as of late). Are you expecting them to break down ? Currently it would appear OT is a strength of our team and I'd much rather like them to take an OG with a first round pick if they go OL. I'm not sold on our OG's yet at all.

Many also feel Colledge will be alrigtht once he gets to move at OT; are you in that camp ? Or do you just think our OT's will soon self destruct injury wise.

If there were positions I'd like to see them avoid in round one they would probably be C, QB, and OT.

I'm not convinced we need a QB early, but I'm not convinced that AR is going to stay healthy long enough for us to continue to stall on finding a backup for him. If they are going to use the draft to find an immediate #2 QB on the depth chart, it's better they take one earlier rather than later. Honestly, I'm hoping they can find a QB with at least a little bit of NFL experience to back him up via FA either before the draft or in June.

I'm not completely sold on our OG's either, but they did seem to open up holes late in the season for Ryan Grant. Maybe they will continue to improve, I don't know. But not very many teams were able to gash Seattle for 200+ yards on the ground last year. They are descent pass blockers as well. I wouldn't be averse to giving them one more year, a 3rd in the league, based on what they were able to do in December and January.

I'd love to see TT take an OT with one of his second round picks. I think there are a couple good project OT's that will be there and with Tauch and Cliffy probably being around for at least a couple more years it seems like good timing. On top of that, we don't really have any depth there. When one goes down, we are shifting around OG's and OT's and if more than one linemen go down we are in trouble. If we could get a natural OT to backup Tauch and Cliffy it would add a bit of security should the injury bug hit. And if Colledge moves over to OT and is more comfortable over there, then we would have replacements lined up for both OT positions once Tauch and Cliffy retire. That would make me extremely happy. But since Colledge isn't moving over to OT this year, I don't think the need at OG is that pressing in this draft. However, if there is good value at OG in an earlier round then I wouldn't be at all opposed. I just don't see value at OG at the bottom of either round.

In round 1 they should definitely select a cornerback, because IMO there are 5 or 6 good ones there. One of em is gonna fall. I like Cason because he seems comfortable in press coverage. But there are so many others, and if one of them rises on teams draft boards then that means another will fall. In round 2, should he not trade down with one of those, I'd like to see them select possibly a 2nd TE and a project OT. I would have loved to see a new RB in that round, but with the resigning of Morency that seems unlikely. Ray Rice would have been an awesome addition to our backfield.

Gunakor
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM

I actually think he is a decent fit for the WC offense, but no way can he chuck it down the field in a vertical offense. I don't think his arm is that strong. But, Hawaii would chuck up a million 5 yard routes like the Pack do.

I don't know if he's any good because I haven't seen him enough, but I think the knock is his arm strength, but his system experience would translate well to the pack imo.

Brett Favre had incredible arm strength, and I think that helped alot even with our short passing game. Not to mention the fact that Green Bay also throws an awful lot of 60 yard TD's to Greg Jennings, so it is somewhat important that whoever we take - either in the draft or in FA - can get the ball down the field.

Fritz
04-06-2008, 09:04 AM

My point, to clarify, is that it isn't at all an outrageous thought to have a rookie QB beat out Rodgers. I am also agreeing that Rodgers has a large advantage. You made it sound like it was inconcievable, and it isn't. It's possible although unlikely.

That was my only point. I'm sure Rodgers would have a natural advantage and coaches bias (they want to give him this shot) in his favor.

Thus we disagree. I do think it's inconceivable that any rookie qb in this draft - including Matt Ryan - could beat out Rodgers this year for the starting position.

Gunakor
04-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I agree with Fritz on this one. Even though A-Rod hasn't seen a significant amount of PT in regular/post season games during his career, he has a wealth of knowledge that ANY incoming rookie would not have.

This does not mean necessarily that A-Rod gets to KEEP his job should he beat out by another player. It simply means that, IMO, it is inconcievable that anyone other than A-Rod begin the season as starter. Well, aside from Rodgers pulling a hammy or breaking a foot or twisting an ankle in camp or preseason anyway...

Carolina_Packer
04-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Brett Favre had incredible arm strength, and I think that helped alot even with our short passing game. Not to mention the fact that Green Bay also throws an awful lot of 60 yard TD's to Greg Jennings, so it is somewhat important that whoever we take - either in the draft or in FA - can get the ball down the field.

Fix whatever ails the O-line and I think the 60 yarders will be possible. The receivers can separate, but can the O-line provide enough time for Rodgers to set up and make a good throw? Also, we have to have a good running game to open up the passing game as well. I think the team has enough at the skill positions to compete well, but our guard play from last year must be addressed.

Carolina_Packer
04-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I asked this earlier in the post, but nobody touched it. Does Josh Johnson get any love as a potential pro QB?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=166992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-_xn9UTLY

Smaller program QB with good stats. Looks like he can run too. Some of the throws from his video are pretty impressive.

Gunakor
04-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Fix whatever ails the O-line and I think the 60 yarders will be possible. The receivers can separate, but can the O-line provide enough time for Rodgers to set up and make a good throw? Also, we have to have a good running game to open up the passing game as well. I think the team has enough at the skill positions to compete well, but our guard play from last year must be addressed.

The arguement here is about Colt Brennan, and if he has the arm strength to get the ball to a streaking Greg Jennings 50 yards downfield. I know from a protection standpoint that the longer pass plays are still possible, this discussion is whether it is still possible from a quarterback standpoint - can our QB get the ball down there accurately.

I think A-Rod can, maybe, but I haven't seen him throw a pass longer than 15-20 yards in his entire NFL career. Colt Brennan, as mentioned earlier, made his name in college by throwing a million 5 yard passes. That would translate well into the WCO that we run in Green Bay, except here in Green Bay we use the shorter passing game to set up the home run balls.

The question then here is whether Colt Brennan can get the ball 50 yards downfield, and get it there accurately. I'm not sure he can, because I've never seen him do it. That doesn't mean he can't do it, obviously, but he'd have to show me first. He might be worth a look if he's still around on day 2.

rbaloha1
04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
CB can make all the NFL throws. Watch the the college qb competition and the scouting combine tape on youtube. CB won the accuracy contest at the qb competition and was credited with a perfect score in accuracy at the combine. Very impressive.

Granted CB did not make as many deep throws as other qbs. This is attributed to the lack of deep threat receivers at Hawaii.

Timmy Chang had Ashley Lelie as a wideout. AL possessed 4.3 40 speed and just blew by collegiate dbs.

CB,s targets were shorter lacking great speed. Thus Coach Jones used more intermediate routes. YAC was emphasized. Incredible downfield blocking by wrs nd o-linemen However CB made accurate 50 yard plus throws when required.

Coach Jones often remarked he loves the deep vertical game but often forgot them during games due to the success of the intermediate routes.

The talk in Hawaii is the 49ers are very interested in CB. Coach Martz coached CB at the Senior Bowl. CB's agent is 49ers coach Ted Tollner's son. CB is from Southern California.

CB would make the PACKER nation happy. Great kid and leader. Overcame much adversity to become an outstanding player. Coach Jones always placed CB with great ones he coached -- Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Jeff George, Bobby Hebert, etc.

SkinBasket
04-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I asked this earlier in the post, but nobody touched it. Does Josh Johnson get any love as a potential pro QB?

Smaller program QB with good stats. Looks like he can run too. Some of the throws from his video are pretty impressive.

You'll have to ask Partial. He has the incredible ability to watch a youtube clip of a player and divine the rest of their football career.

I don't think he's any different than a couple of dozen of other guys out there though, for whatever that's worth. You got a particular reason for liking him?

MJZiggy
04-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Thus we disagree. I do think it's inconceivable that any rookie qb in this draft - including Matt Ryan - could beat out Rodgers this year for the starting position.

It's a moot point. Matt Ryan is likely to be picked by Atlanta, and no way are they stupid enough to trade another QB to Green Bay...

Carolina_Packer
04-06-2008, 03:51 PM

You'll have to ask Partial. He has the incredible ability to watch a youtube clip of a player and divine the rest of their football career.

I don't think he's any different than a couple of dozen of other guys out there though, for whatever that's worth. You got a particular reason for liking him?

Just that he's not in the conversation of top-rated QB's, but would be interesting to see a guy like that, and with his college accomplishments, be given a shot and make good on it. I don't even know what the pro scouts are saying about him, I just like when an underdog makes good, and wondering if he can or not. He was not well recruited out of high school, yet played well at San Diego. Perhaps he's too underrated, but we'll see what he does.

Partial
04-06-2008, 04:01 PM

It's a moot point. Matt Ryan is likely to be picked by Atlanta, and no way are they stupid enough to trade another QB to Green Bay...

I disagree that Matt Ryan is picked 3rd.

Gunakor
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
If he doesn't go in the top 2, I don't see how Atlanta could pass him up. The Falcons need a quarterback. Very badly. Even if Ryan is a reach at #3, I think Blank would take that chance rather than head into the season with Joey H atop the depth chart again this year. It's concievable that he drafts a CB in the first round to replace departed DeAngelo Hall too, and I can't speculate on which he feels is the greater need for the Falcons ATM. Me personally, I'd take Ryan in a heartbeat if I were in Blank's shoes. If I'm trying to rebuild a team in such disarray as the Falcons are, the first thing I'd try to look for is a new franchise QB and then I'd build around that. With a new franchise QB practically being handed to them with the #3 pick I don't think they could afford to look at anyone else. Ryan will be a Falcon.

run pMc
04-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Maybe someone already asked this (I skipped thru part of the posting)...

One online draft prognosticator actually has the Packers selecting Louisville’s Brad Brohm

Who the h*ll is Brad Brohm? ;)

I agree that a good backup QB needs to be found...there just aren't any out there right now that I can think of. Drafting a QB is likely, but I'd be surprised if it was with one of TT's 1st 2 picks. I also agree a rookie would be very unlikely to beat Rodgers in camp.

I have no problem with him taking an OT in R1...it's supposed to be a deep group this year. The OL needs to improve, and Tauscher/Clifton have some mileage. Drafting someone to eventually replace them will be necessary. I'm not sure Moll is the guy, and GB seems pretty intent on keeping Colledge at guard.

DonHutson
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I touched on this in another thread, but it wouldn't shock me if the Packers drafted two QB's. Ted is obviously not impressed with any of the vets out there, and I doubt he's planning on giving up a pick of any real value in a trade for a backup.

Therefore, I think it's possible that Ted sees the top rookies as better immediate #2 QBs than any of the available vets. I don't think he'll take one high come hell or high water, but I don't think he'd hesitate if there's one there that he likes and that provides a good value. I think he'll take one in the 4th round or lower to be the #3 regardless of what happens earlier.

If a high draft pick at QB can provide Rodgers falling on his face insurance while providing good backup QB services for a few years before getting traded - that's a good return on the investment.

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2008, 11:18 AM

I like this kid, I am a huge San Diego fan I watch all their games.

Actually I have had to read up on the kid a bit and he ran a West Coast type offense under Harbough. He has great measurables, but he had a below average showing at the combine.

He could be groomed. I think he is a QB in the NFL, he has good arm, decent mechanics, and can understand offensive verbage. Had a nice senior bowl.

Watched some game film on youtube, what was posted above. He is a heck of an athlete, and with the ball in his hand he has great vision of the field. Strong arm accurate on all the highlighted throws.

Locked on to receivers, eyeballed them the whole time until it was time to make the throw. Those passes will be read by NFL safeties and picked off. Needs to look off the safeties.

The one thing that you can take from the above he at least knows how to read a defense. He picks the right guy to throw to at least. He didn't out luck double coverage with his throws.