PDA

View Full Version : Do you financially support Public Broadcasting?

Freak Out
04-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Do you financially support a local PBS/NPR station or broadcasting corporation?

I do every year for a number of reasons, I appreciate the news programs both local and national but the Alaska stations are still incredibly important from a public safety standpoint.

MJZiggy
04-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I used to, and they still send me solicitations, but I stopped doing it when my kid outgrew it and I stopped watching the tv and I rarely listen to the 10 public radio stations here. (which is sad because I spent a semester working public radio).

Harlan Huckleby
04-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Public TV and especially public radio is an INCREDIBLY good source of information, nothing else like it available.

I do sympathize with Republicans who complain that they are biased. But to not listen to it for that reason is just cutting off your dick to spite your balls. The guests they have on for their talk shows, the excellent dicussions, too good to pass up.

In fact, people who stop reading or listening to any media because it is biased are narrow-minded losers. I don't like these people and think they should be lined up against a wall and shot.

Freak Out
04-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I used to, and they still send me solicitations, but I stopped doing it when my kid outgrew it and I stopped watching the tv and I rarely listen to the 10 public radio stations here. (which is sad because I spent a semester working public radio).

10 stations? How many can only afford to play classical music all day?

Tony Oday
04-05-2008, 12:45 PM
This is a free market economy and TV should be treated that way...

MJZiggy
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
10 may be an exaggeration, but I can get All Things Considered at numerous times--some do classical, some jazz and some news. Maybe I should go dig around at that end of the dial for a while and see how many I can get.

The Leaper
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I use liquor to put me to sleep...not PBS.

Freak Out
04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Public TV and especially public radio is an INCREDIBLY good source of information, nothing else like it available.

I do sympathize with Republicans who complain that they are biased. But to not listen to it for that reason is just cutting off your dick to spite your balls. The guests they have on for their talk shows, the excellent dicussions, too good to pass up.

In fact, people who stop reading or listening to any media because it is biased are narrow-minded losers. I don't like these people and think they should be lined up against a wall and shot.

So do you pledge any cash Dog?

Kiwon
04-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Does Barney still come on?

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Barney-Photograph-C10040240.jpeg

SkinBasket
04-06-2008, 07:28 AM
I usually find something on the auction as my way of supporting PBS. Of course, the auction used to be a lot cooler than it is now. They used to sell surplus university shit like old rotary phones and brooms - some of them unused. Now it's just really shitty wisconsin artwork, gift certificates, and cheese.

I was thinking of painting something obviously phallic this year and donating it to liven things up a bit.

Freak Out
04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I usually find something on the auction as my way of supporting PBS. Of course, the auction used to be a lot cooler than it is now. They used to sell surplus university shit like old rotary phones and brooms - some of them unused. Now it's just really shitty wisconsin artwork, gift certificates, and cheese.

I was thinking of painting something obviously phallic this year and donating it to liven things up a bit.

The auctions up here are probably better...not because the art is better but there are some great trips and such auctioned off.

texaspackerbacker
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
They try to sucker you in with those wonderful benefit shows of rock n' roll oldies or whatever once or twice a year, then they push liberal causes the rest of the year. In a weird sort of way, though, that IS market economy--the old bait and switch--to get contributions.

If that was all there was to it, PBS would be a harmless nuisance at worst. However, the large majority of their funds comes from taxpayers--Federal government funding. Combine that with the fairly extreme liberal bias of the programming, and therein lies the problem.

Harlan Huckleby
04-06-2008, 09:53 PM

No, and it never really bothered me until just now.

go fuck yourself.

swede
04-06-2008, 10:55 PM
When I was in my twenties I commuted almost two hours back and forth to work and I listened to and enjoyed NPR.

The good stuff was very good.

Twice a day, every day, there was a story intended to make us all aware of the gay guys dieing during AIDS epidemic. Sensitive, soft voices in the NPR style giving us a play by play of caring partners nursing their gay lovers as disease and infections ravaged bodies. How sad it all was. And Ronald Reagan was doing nothing to help you know.

Not once that I heard was there a story that acknowledged that more federal money was being spent to find a cure for AIDS than was being spent on cancer research. And the truth was then and is now that AIDS is a disease you choose to get unless it came to you by way of a blood transfusion.

NPR is as slanted as MSNBC, but is more charming in its erudition.

I can't even listen to Garrison Keillor anymore. Even his show is political.

My tax money at work.

Harlan Huckleby
04-06-2008, 10:58 PM
come on, Swede, I listen and laugh to Rush Limbaugh.

Freak Out
04-07-2008, 12:22 AM

No, and it never really bothered me until just now.

go fuck yourself.

I thought so.

MadtownPacker
04-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Twice a day, every day, there was a story intended to make us all aware of the gay guys dieing during AIDS epidemic. Sensitive, soft voices in the NPR style giving us a play by play of caring partners nursing their gay lovers as disease and infections ravaged bodies. How sad it all was. And Ronald Reagan was doing nothing to help you know.This paragraph could go a long ways towards explaining why Harlan is a democrat, wants everyone to be more sensitive, and is supportive of gay marriage.