PDA

View Full Version : WHO IS THE PACKERS #1 WR

Bretsky
04-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Up until the middle of last year, I thought Donald Driver was clearly the Green Bay Packers #1 WR and their #1 Option. I was always of the mindset that teams game plan for Driver more and Jennings is the beneficiary.

I even posted statistical numbers supporting the possibility that over the next five years Donal Driver could have numbers compared some some Hall of Fame Wide Receivers (probably a silly point, but one that the numbers could support)

Having been at several games and broken down some plays in the Red Zone, I am finding myself torn as to whether to flip my view and proclaim Greg Jennings as Green Bay's #1 Option.

Jennings made more plays last year, and more importantly, to me, he seemed to be the WR with the shake and bake to get open for the touchdowns in the red zone. Driver seemed to struggle in the red zone and CB's were locking him down on the slant pattern that him and Favre used to excel at so well.

I've also seen things nationally ranking Greg Jennings as a better WR than Donald Driver.......so I can't be alone in pondering this.

Give your Take as to who the #1 WR in right now for the Green Bay Packers.

RashanGary
04-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Next year it will be Jennings IMO. Up till now it was Driver.

Driver is also what? 33? Jennings is 24 or 25. That makes a difference.

Driver is still a quality #1 and Jennings is turning into a probowl #1 WR. Then there is JOnes and whoever else TT sniffs out. The WR position is healthy.

packers11
04-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I think Driver is still #1....

He plays #1 cb's... Jenning plays #2 cbs...

Besides a few teams, there is a major drop when playing the #1 compared to the #2...

gbgary
04-05-2008, 05:40 PM
most reliable....Donald...tough, fearless possession receiver.

most dangerous....Greg...fast, elusive dagger in the heart.

i think we have two #1s!!

red
04-05-2008, 05:54 PM
i'm kind of with JH with a twist from you B

i think driver was the #1 until during this last season, then it became superman85

jennings will be a star this year

and its not a knock on driver, he's a great WR, one of the best in the NFL IMO, its just that jennings is that damn good

we're looking at having our own marvin harrison/reggie wayne combo

who's better?

probably doesn't matter, either one will kill you if you blink against him. we have two legit #1's.

3irty1
04-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I voted for Driver but the truth is if you concentrate on one, the other one will surely hurt you.

red
04-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I voted for Driver but the truth is if you concentrate on one, the other one will surely hurt you.

exactly

Tony Oday
04-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Its DD he is the one that gets doubled and has he missed a game since he almost died on the field?

Joemailman
04-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I voted DD because I'm wearing his jersey. I think it may be Jennings from now on though because I think ARod will be better than Favre at throwing the long ball. Not as strong an arm, but more accurate.

Gunakor
04-05-2008, 06:19 PM
It's close. It's hard to compare because they are different recievers. Driver gives you a tough, sure handed, clutch possession type reciever, Jennings gives you a consistent deep threat. Both have incredible agility and both amass alot of YAC. Greg would be the first person to tell you that it's still Donald though. I'm just happy that they are both Green Bay Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I actually agree with JH on this one. Up until this point, Driver was #1, but at their ages you have to expect Driver's play to start falling off and you'd expect Jennings to get better.

MJZiggy
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Its DD he is the one that gets doubled and has he missed a game since he almost died on the field?

When did he almost die on the field?

Bretsky
04-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I actually agree with JH on this one. Up until this point, Driver was #1, but at their ages you have to expect Driver's play to start falling off and you'd expect Jennings to get better.

So it just took you a half season to agree with me ?? :lol: :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2008, 07:29 PM

So it just took you a half season to agree with me ?? :lol: :wink:

I guess it depends.
:D

If Driver doesn't slow down a bit and Jennings doesn't improve at all, I still say Driver is the man. However, I think that's unlikely. ARod probably favors Jennings more than DD. I wonder if teams will switch their coverage accordingly.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I voted for Driver because he's still the best at fighting for the ball and running after the catch. Jennings, however, as some said, is basically a second #1 and improving. Furthermore, we may see less slants with Rodgers--Driver's bread and butter.

I'm also expecting--or at least hoping--for the kind of 1st to 2nd year improvement from Jones that we saw from Jennings this year. On top of that, Koren Robinson's knee wasn't healthy last year. If that is mended, and not a chronic thing, he could get back to one of the NFL's best, like he was before all the trouble.

To use a little mob terminology, Aaron Rodgers is a "made man" coming in to that kind of situation--not to mention Donald Lee, Ryan Grant, and a pretty good O Line.

Partial
04-05-2008, 10:55 PM
1A 1B. I called it last off-season that the debate wouldn't be who'd be #3 with Jennings and Jones, it'd be #1 with Jennings and Driver.

Both are excellent players. 1A, 1B, and Jones as a 2. Solid, solid depth.

Guiness
04-05-2008, 10:58 PM
This year could be the changing of the guard. I don't know either way, and would bet either way.

Did DD see the opposing team's #1 CB pretty much all of last year? Did anyone pay attention to that? If so, then Jennings may be in tough when he starts to have to deal with some of the upper echelon CB's, because he'll certainly see some this coming season.

I also think we have a 1a and 1b situation here.

Partial
04-05-2008, 10:59 PM
For what its worth Driver lines up at Flanker whenever he's on the field. That typically goes to the "best" receiver. Personally, I don't get why that is because you'd think you'd want your guys who can't beat jams to be the ones with the step or two head start before getting punched.

Fritz
04-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Um, that would be James Jones in 2008, Bretsky.