PDA

View Full Version : Jurkovic Speaks On Favre

Packnut
04-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I caught Jurko talking on the local ESPN radio show this a.m. and he had a few interesting things to say. First off he stated "It's no secret to anyone around the NFL, that Thompson wanted Favre gone 2 years ago." He also stated, although not the only reason, it did play a part in Brett's decision to retire.

What I thought was even more interesting was his opinion that under the right circumstances, Favre would come back to play for someone else this season.

Up until now, I really blew off any chance of that happening but Jurko did make a good case for it.

Would'nt it be the untimate revenge to take over a team like Philly after McNabb goes down again during the season and lead them to the play-offs? How about an NFC championship game with the Favre led Eagles against the Rodgers led Packers?

I'd bet that one would be a ratings bonanza! Just something to ponder during the tedious off-season..........

SkinBasket
04-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't think Jurko knows any more than any one here about Favre's plans or what Thompson does and doesn't want. Makes for an average radio show, but not much more.

RashanGary
04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
It's no secret to anyone around the NFL that Thompson wanted Favre gone?

Funny, this is the first we've heard of it outside of extremist speculation.

Best kept secret, no secret - same thing. . . . .

Toss this in the stack of non credible garbage.

Packnut
04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't think Jurko knows any more than any one here about Favre's plans or what Thompson does and doesn't want. Makes for an average radio show, but not much more.

As a ex-player, he has ties to people in the league and still comes up with some good stuff. I'm not saying what he says is true, just offering another opinion on a subject that has been debated quite frequentley in this forum.

Packnut
04-06-2008, 12:14 PM
It's not secret to anyone around the NFL that Thompson wanted Favre gone?

Well, the subject has been brought up on ESPN and the NFL network at one time or another. It was discussed a lot during the Moss debacle last season. If you consider that "extremist speculation" so be it.

Man, it's hilarious. The slightest hint of any insult to Ted and the brigade comes out in full force around here. IF what Jurko and others have speculated is true, it would NOT be any insult to Thompson. It would only be natural for him to want his guy under center.

I'm the biggest Favre worshiper in the freakin galaxy and even I know the Rodger's era need's to begin now.

RashanGary
04-06-2008, 12:18 PM
It's not a knock on Ted. It's speculative garbage.

Onto a topic that is based in reality - I guess Favre had a sports hurnia late last season too. Apparently he is undergoing surgery for it some time this off season.

That might have been part of his rough outing against the Giants.

Pacopete4
04-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Favre probably has lots of nics and bangs that we will never know about because thats just how he is..

on the note of Jurko.. it really sounds like a guy tryin to stir up a story thats already been played out

when do we move past and realize that Brett KNOWS, he KNOWS he cant still play this game and play it better than most... HE JUST DOESNT WANT TO... he said it himself.. hes tired and how can u blame him? I just hope he gets his peace soon or he will vanish and then we never will hear from him again.. is that what we want?

gbgary
04-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Ted may have wanted Brett gone two years ago but who knows for sure other than Ted and MM...not jurko of all people. i believe Brett for his reasons and when he says he done.

The Shadow
04-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I caught Jurko talking on the local ESPN radio show this a.m. and he had a few interesting things to say. First off he stated "It's no secret to anyone around the NFL, that Thompson wanted Favre gone 2 years ago." He also stated, although not the only reason, it did play a part in Brett's decision to retire.

What I thought was even more interesting was his opinion that under the right circumstances, Favre would come back to play for someone else this season.

Up until now, I really blew off any chance of that happening but Jurko did make a good case for it.

Would'nt it be the untimate revenge to take over a team like Philly after McNabb goes down again during the season and lead them to the play-offs? How about an NFC championship game with the Favre led Eagles against the Rodgers led Packers?
I'd bet that one would be a ratings bonanza! Just something to ponder during the tedious off-season..........

He couldn't win it under ideal conditions with the Packers. Why would he win it withe Eagles?

gbpackfan
04-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Yawn. This horse has been beaten to death, raised from the dead, and then beaten some more.

Guiness
04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I really don't get the conspiracy theory in all of this.

Why would TT want Favre gone??? Doesn't fit into his long term plans? Well, this team is looking good short term, and the list of people that think we have a better chance with Rodgers than Favre is pretty short. And of course, it's not a situation like McNair in Tennessee where he was single handedly crippling the cap.

Ok, I'd buy that after the 4-12 season, he may have thought the Pack needed 4-5yrs to get their shit together, and was maybe worried Favre would pack it in just as it was coming together, and set us back - but after the 8-8, then the 13-3, why in the world would he want him gone???

anyways, colour me :?:

BlueBrewer
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
wasn't jurko the "Garbage Man" nickname. Like 12 fn years ago

texaspackerbacker
04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
The best way for some local radio nobody--which Jurkovic basically is these days--to get on ESPN is to have something off-the-wall and controversial to say. He's probably dead wrong.

On the other hand, I've been saying that there is something about this whole deal that we aren't being told, so you never know.

If it ever came down to Favre versus the Packers, Favre is the enemy. You people do know that, don't you?

Packers4Ever
04-06-2008, 11:32 PM
It's not going to come down to Favre versus the Packers,
If we don't know Brett Favre after 16 years in Green Bay,
leading the Packers, something's definitely wrong!

You won't see Brett Favre pulling something like leaving GB
to QB elsewhere. That would be like a
slap in the face of every teammate he's had back to Day One, and that
is simply not going to happen. He has a much
higher regard for his former teammates.

I doubt you'll ever hear him called 'the enemy' either. :roll:

packinpatland
04-07-2008, 06:49 AM
It's not going to come down to Favre versus the Packers,
If we don't know Brett Favre after 16 years in Green Bay,
leading the Packers, something's definitely wrong!

You won't see Brett Favre pulling something like leaving GB
to QB elsewhere. That would be like a
slap in the face of every teammate he's had back to Day One, and that
is simply not going to happen. He has a much
higher regard for his former teammates.

I doubt you'll ever hear him called 'the enemy' either. :roll:

He has a higher regard for himself also. It's just all :bs2:

Iron Mike
04-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Yawn. This horse has been beaten to death, raised from the dead, and then beaten some more.

http://coreygilmore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

The Leaper
04-07-2008, 08:48 AM
I could see why Thompson may have privately wanted Favre to retire 2 years ago. The team was coming off a 4-12 year and was going to be very young going forward.

However, I see no reason why Thompson would've wanted Favre to retire last offseason or this offseason...nor do I see any evidence of Thompson doing anything to push Favre out. Thompson is never going to sign a bunch of free agents...his lack of action wasn't done to insult Favre.

The notion that Favre is quitting because he feels unwanted really has no evidence to support it. There is NO CHANCE that Favre returns to play for another team. For starters, he can't unless Green Bay allows it. Plus, Favre would have no interest in learning a new system and learning new players. He is quitting because he doesn't want to put in all the work...and going to a team other than GB would mean twice the amount of work.

Jurko really isn't a bright guy. Why people gave him a radio show is beyond me. I guess it must be like listening to Chris Spielman here in Columbus. Painful. Some of these guys can play football really well...but don't have the brains or communication skills necessary for really making a well thought analysis that makes sense.

packinpatland
04-07-2008, 09:03 AM

http://coreygilmore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

I like this one much better.

:beat:

sharpe1027
04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
As a ex-player, he has ties to people in the league and still comes up with some good stuff. I'm not saying what he says is true, just offering another opinion on a subject that has been debated quite frequentley in this forum.

Did he mention any of these ties? Did he present any basis for his opinions other than publically available information and his personal gut feelings? If not, we have to realize that they guy is just expressing his personal opinion and that he has incentive to get people talking about what he says. It's his job.

Fritz
04-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Well, the subject has been brought up on ESPN and the NFL network at one time or another. It was discussed a lot during the Moss debacle last season. If you consider that "extremist speculation" so be it.

Man, it's hilarious. The slightest hint of any insult to Ted and the brigade comes out in full force around here. IF what Jurko and others have speculated is true, it would NOT be any insult to Thompson. It would only be natural for him to want his guy under center.
I'm the biggest Favre worshiper in the freakin galaxy and even I know the Rodger's era need's to begin now.

I have to disagree here. Why do you say it would be "natural" for anyone to want this? It would make more sense to me to say it would be "natural" for a GM to do whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl, since that's the ultimate reward and recognition. If Favre offered TT the best chance to do that, and he did, why would TT want him gone? There would be nothing natural about wanting to get rid of a hall of fame QB who can still play just so you can watch a guy you drafted. That would be immature, not natural.

And I don't think TT is immature, either.

Chester Marcol
04-07-2008, 11:14 AM

I have to disagree here. Why do you say it would be "natural" for anyone to want this? It would make more sense to me to say it would be "natural" for a GM to do whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl, since that's the ultimate reward and recognition. If Favre offered TT the best chance to do that, and he did, why would TT want him gone? There would be nothing natural about wanting to get rid of a hall of fame QB who can still play just so you can watch a guy you drafted. That would be immature, not natural.

And I don't think TT is immature, either.

Even tho the Packer line was that we weren't rebuilding, taking a look at the roster from the day that TT took over up to last season would suggest otherwise. With the Pack going 4-12, the number of seasons Favre had left being in the low single digits, and TT knowing there was major overhauling on it's way, I don't find it to hard to believe that TT wouldn't have minded starting this process fresh with his own QB. However, I think TT is a good GM who took the situation as it was and didn't waste time at his birthday cakes wishing Favre away.

texaspackerbacker
04-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Before there was such a thing as a salary cap, there was such a thing as the value of money for its own sake.

Now I'm not saying this is a good thing, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm also not saying this applies to Favre's situation--but it might have. And I'm certainly not saying it provoked bad feeling with Favre--even though it certainly seems to with some forum members.

The idea is: that Thompson likes saving money--getting by as cheaply as possible, regardless of the salary cap. Looking at it from that perspective, we can begin to understand how Thompson could feel no urgency to spend excess under the cap. Looking at it from that perspective also, Favre was $10 or 11 million dollars either spent or not spent.

Prior to the great success of last season--which seemed to vindicate Thompson's cheapness, it's just possible that not signing high priced free agents for Favre's final seasons kinda rubbed Brett the wrong way. And if that is true, it's anybody's guess what Brett would have been thinking after Thompson did it Thompson's way, and they went 13-3 (14-4). It's only human for the thought to have crossed Favre's mind, "Ok, Ted, now let's see what your way of things gets you without me".

Merlin
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM

Whatever you do, don't disagree with the masses. Ted Thompson wanted Favre gone? *GASP*. Conspiracy? No. Speculative, sure. Just like 99% of the garbage that gets discussed here. But then again the masses won't ever say what they are discussing is speculative unless it turns out they are dead wrong and then they all go running for excuses.

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Office Space FTW.