PDA

View Full Version : Good Reader comments @PFT re GB's FA inactivity

motife
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/06/mccarthy-defends-packers-spending/
MCCARTHY DEFENDS PACKERS’ SPENDING
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2008, 4:23 p.m.
The Green Bay Packers had plenty of cap space available at the start of the free agency period, and when Brett Favre’s 2008 salary officially goes off the books, they may very well lead the league in cap room.

But they’re not spending much money. And Packers coach Mike McCarthy is telling reporters this year exactly what he told Favre last year: He thinks the team can get better without breaking the bank.

“I had this conversation with Brett Favre last year,” McCarthy tells Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “He was like, ‘How are we going to get better?’ I said, ‘The only thing I can promise you is that we’re going to be better than we were last year.’”

McCarthy was right when he made that prediction to Favre last year; the Packers went from 8-8 in 2006 to 13-3 in 2007. But can the Packers do it again, even though they have not made much of an effort to use the cap space they have available to add free agents?

“I feel we have an opportunity once again to improve within,” McCarthy said.

If the Packers do improve from within even after losing Favre, McCarthy should win the NFL Coach of the Year Award. But if they don’t improve, a lot of Packers fans will wonder why they didn’t spend more aggressively with so much cap space available.

Permalink | Comments

Previous: LINEBACKERS’ OPINIONS MIXED ON HELMET RADIONext: MIKE VICK IS PAUL CREWE
18 Responses to “MCCARTHY DEFENDS PACKERS’ SPENDING”
samh, a Passionate Fan, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 4:32 pm
so let me get this straight… there weren’t many quality free agent available… pundits made fun of teams that gave big contracts to mediocre free agents… and now we’re going to slam a team that didn’t buy into the hysteria?

(report as inappropriate)

Rating: 5 / 5 with 4 rating(s)

JR, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 4:52 pm
The pack should take this opportunity to sign young players to long contracts before they become even more expensive.

Rating: 5 / 5 with 3 rating(s)

texas, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 4:54 pm
No us Packer fans know that our GM isn’t a dumbass who thinks FAs alone can turn it around. SF, NYJ, those guys are mediocre year after year. The only FAs worth anything this year were Asomugha, Moss, and maybe samuel. And I bet if Asomugha’s tag gets taken off TT will get him.

Hawkside_Blitz, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 4:55 pm
Big deal. The FA market this year was littered with garbage. System players and role players who got ’star’ money because they were the only thing out there.

Teams that play to win the front page of the USA Today don’t usually win on Sundays.

As a Packer fan it would be nice to be more active but…one,when really looking at what was out there..it just wasn’t worth it. The one spot GB was really soft..OLB…they addressed with a solid and still young vet in Chillar.

And two,GB has Grant,Jennings,Tauscher,Bigby,Jolly and Rodgers among others due soon for new deals…that 30 mil of cap room is gonna shrink real quick.

Do you want to lock up Jennings and Grant for the next 5 years or rent Asante Samuel or DJ Hackett for 3 years?

Most teams have their top 15 players locked up and few break free until they are older or have gotten hurt. The days of Reggie Whites and Deion Sanders being free to push a team over are done.

There were maybe 4 Free Agents who could have honestly come in and helped GB improve and Chillar was one of them and they got him.

Yes,GB was far more active under Wolf but…there was a lot more talent back then….now you’d be doing dame well to find a Santana Dotson on the market.

Wolf also did a good job of shopping at Goodwill (Desmond Howard,Allen Rossum,Nate Wayne,Bruce Wilkerson,etc).

You don’t always have to shop at Tiffanys to find a gem. Ted understands this.

As a fan from March through June it’s boring as hell but its the way it is now.

Rating: 5 / 5 with 5 rating(s)

Haunchie, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:00 pm
A team in their division spent a lot of money recently on FA’s, the Vikings, and it’s not done a thing for them.

Why should Ted Thompson change now? Because some arm-chair GM’s think he should?

Rating: 4.65 / 5 with 3 rating(s)

go screw, a Water Boy, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:02 pm
Don’t they need to spend to get to the cap floor?

Rating: 5 / 5 with 1 rating(s)

ACDC84, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:08 pm
Huge GB fan here saying that I have no problem with the way our GM is handles FA. The only gaping holes we needed filled IMO were a nickelback that would ascend to a starting job in a couple of years and some depth at LB. Our only FA signing was a LB, Chillar, who gives us competition at SAM LB and could play backup to any of the three LB spots. Then I hope we use our #30 pick for a CB. We don’t shell out boatloads of cash to FAs that may or may not improve our team. Instead we save our money to lock-up our own, core players to nice extensions before they get a wiff of FA which saves us money long-term, and we have the cap space to front-load those contracts so we have plently of future salary cap space if/when we have a gaping hole or two that we need to fill via a few big-money FAs.

I just hope my fellow Packer fans realize that we have a young team on the rise and our future looks AWESOME, which can’t be said for ALOT of teams.

filbertkiwi71, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:10 pm
McCarthy is right. If the team can play at the level that it did last year and still stay well under the cap, the Packers will be in a much better position to re-sign there own talent to longer term contracts.

IMO, that is the same reason that Chargers have not gone on a spending spree in free agency. They have contracts that they need to extend.

Rating: 5 / 5 with 2 rating(s)

GreenAndGold, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:18 pm
Which free-agent would have been worth wasting cap room on? I think that unlike most football organizations, the Packers actually have a plan and stick to it. They build from within, don’t overspend, and are, most importantly, winning. Until that changes, I’m not questioning the direction of the team.

travbot, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:23 pm
There’s no point in spending money when the talent available does not justify it. Giving big money to a sub-standard free agent while a current talented player on your roster earns less does not make good business (and football) sense.

brian_21, a Passionate Fan, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:28 pm
The Packers have a window to win now. Of course, be responsible and intelligent and innovative, like the Patriots and Colts. But this has to occur; SPENDING

Rating: Not yet rated

Henry Plainview, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:32 pm
denial isn’t just a river in Egypt

Rating: 1 / 5 with 1 rating(s)

MVP, a Passionate Fan, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:47 pm
Just because you have it, doesn’t mean you have to spend it. Thompson is building the team through the draft and from within……and that’s the right way to do it. He’ll need that money to sign players like Bigby & Grant.

PackOne, a Passionate Fan, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 5:59 pm
I like our chances.

wvugrad00, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 6:20 pm
The redskins have proven, spendig money doesnt equate to a playoff team

jyernberg, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 6:43 pm
awesome, not one comment from a packers fan agreeing with this guy. goes to prove all the GB haters wrong. we all have it right, dont waste money on bums. and we will bring all the key guys back. good luck to minny with all those average players they brought in while breaking the bank. TT has done nothing but rebuild a bad team in a few years, win exec of the year, and get his team a step from greatness. but people still question. as for me and my fellow packer faithful, we shall not question a great mind.

Skew, a Passionate Fan, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 7:26 pm
Not a cheesehead, but I don’t see a problem with Thompson or what he’s doing. Overall, they are a young team, no big holes, and the talent in FA this year was, except for 2-4 players, pretty boring.

This is a great opportunity for GB to lockup some of it’s young talent.

wingnut, a Cheerleader, says:

April 6th, 2008 at 7:37 pm
What do you mean not alot a talent available?

Al Davis