PDA

View Full Version : Matt Birk to Pack?

KYPack
04-07-2008, 08:30 AM
I mainly post this to point out the failings of our many Minn correspondents to the Packer Rats fourun....

"It's inexplicable why the Vikings haven't offered to extend the contract of six-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk, who is entering the final season of an eight-year deal. No player in the NFL has played eight seasons on one contract without having it restructured or extended at least a couple of years before it expires.

The offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers, by the way, is Joe Philbin, who was Birk's offensive line coach at Harvard. Don't think for a moment that Green Bay wouldn't love to have Birk, 31, who intends to play several more years, if he becomes available. "

I don't think it is likely, but it is an interesting possibility.

How did those two both make it to the NFL from Harvard?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
From the title I thought maybe in a trade, but it looks like they would have to wait a year to get him anyways. And if he hits the open market I can assure you TT will not over bid other teams on a by then 32 year old center.

falco
04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
what are you talking about??? did you forget harvard won the rose bowl in 1920?

talk about a short memory...

]{ilr]3
04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I like Matt Birk. Great team leader and player. I remember when there were reports that he told Randy Moss he was going to kick his ass if he walked off the field again :lol:

I can't understand why the Vikings have been treating him like crap the last few years. From some reason I thought he was a lot older than 31.

twoseven
04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Saw this on the rumormill, was scratching my head at this one. Why would be looking to sign a 32 year old center next year when we seem content with Wells? Oh, to reunite him with an old coach. Yep, that trumps overpaying for a 32 year old FA Center in 09'.

DonHutson
04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
We didn't pay Wahle, Rivera, or Flanagan. We did not try to sign Hutchinson or Faneca. So suggesting the Packers sign Birk certainly fits the pattern.

That pattern being: reporters will always disregard the obvious at the expense of one random set of connected dots.

Lurker64
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
We didn't pay Wahle, Rivera, or Flanagan. We did not try to sign Hutchinson or Faneca. So suggesting the Packers sign Birk certainly fits the pattern.

Actually, as I recall correctly Thompson did try to sign Hutchinson (Thompson did draft Hutchinson, after all), but he was nowhere near Minnesota's offer which was unprecedentedly huge. This information only came out after Hutchinson was already a Viking, but Thompson did make an effort, at least according to him.

Noodle
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I like the idea of a guy like Birk -- experienced, savy, tough, and pretty good size at 6'4" and 305lbs. Lord knows we could use the help inside. It would hurt a division rival, and I like how it would help ARod.

But it will never happen. We just can't afford it.

texaspackerbacker
04-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I very much doubt he will be available for 2nd stringer money, and assuming nothing bad happens to Wells between now and then, he wouldn't be much of a step upward.

Another aspect here is that the center calls blocking assignments, and Birk doesn't have experience in the ZBS, having played his whole career with the Vikings.

KYPack
04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I very much doubt he will be available for 2nd stringer money, and assuming nothing bad happens to Wells between now and then, he wouldn't be much of a step upward.

Another aspect here is that the center calls blocking assignments, and Birk doesn't have experience in the ZBS, having played his whole career with the Vikings.

I was facetious when I posted all this stuff. I don't think we'd ever do this, based on the same logic our savvy posters mentioned. Birk would need to be paid and we ain't gonna do that for an aging C.

ZBS line calls wouldn't bother Birk a bit. The Vikes run a very similar zone system to ours. It wouldn't stymie a Harvard man a bit to figure new line calls. He could do that job in two notes, or in his sleep, whichever is easier.

3irty1
04-07-2008, 04:02 PM

The vikings have a ZBS don't they?

texaspackerbacker
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure what they run, but the Vikings are loaded with huge behemoth linemen, kinda like Dallas, and the ZBS supposedly thrives better with smaller more mobile guys.

Lurker64
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I think we already have two centers on the roster, we probably don't be a third. I personally think that Center is Spitz's best position, and I imagine he may eventually beat out Wells for that spot if we can find better guards. Right now I believe that if we had two top flight guards in addition to our current roster, Spitz would likely beat out Wells for the center spot in a year or two.

MJZiggy
04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
It wouldn't stymie a Harvard man a bit to figure new line calls. He could do that job in two notes, or in his sleep, whichever is easier.

Keep in mind when you say things like that, dear, that George Bush went to Yale. I'm just sayin'

mngolf19
04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
The story on this in the local papers is purely to overhype the situation. The Vikings(Wilf) policy has been to extend players during their final season after seeing how they are playing. This could be a positive or negative for either party. All they have said to Birk was that they want to do the same with him. If he is playing well, they will probably try to extend him during the season to get it on this year's cap. If not, then they won't overspend on a guy they have close knowledge of. And just like in the Urlacher thread, Birk has made a ton of money over his current 6 year contract of which he missed a season and a half due to injury. I have zero problem with this move.

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
It wouldn't stymie a Harvard man a bit to figure new line calls. He could do that job in two notes, or in his sleep, whichever is easier.

Keep in mind when you say things like that, dear, that George Bush went to Yale. I'm just sayin'

And got an MBA from Harvard. :idea: