PDA

View Full Version : NFL in 3d?

packers11
04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
pft.com

COMING SOON, NFL GAMES IN 3D?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 7, 2008, 1:24 p.m.
Peter King of SI.com has a very intriguing item in his MMQB column regarding a revoluntionary change to the manner in which NFL fans get their fix of live football action.

Per King, the developers of one of the new 3D film technologies believe that the thing can be used to broadcast in theaters NFL games. Live.

David Modell, the son of former Ravens owner Art Modell, is one of the principals of 3ality Digital. And David Modell told King that he believes this can happen “a lot earlier” than ten years from now.

Writes King: “Imagine a Giants’ playoff party in the lobby of the Manhattan IMAX theater, then moving upstairs to watch the game. Would that be worth $25 per person? Or $50? Even if the game were on live TV, I’d say it just might be.”

We agree. Totally and completely. Because, like King, we’ve already seen the product of the younger Modell’s work, in the feature film U23D. And we were blown away.

I took Florio Jr. to see it last month in Morgantown, and though neither of us were U2 fans before seeing it, we’re now hooked, precisely because of attending that movie. It was one of the most compelling theatrical experiences I’ve ever had, and the idea of watching a football game broadcast with that kind of detail and clarity would be worth as much or more as it would cost to sit in the stands.

Forget Europe; this could be the next frontier for the NFL – on 17 Sundays (and Monday nights) in the fall and four more in January and February, theaters throughout the U.S. of A. could be flooded by football fans anxious to plunk down money to see NFL football in a far more intimate and specific way than they could, even if they were actually at the game.

The only thing we need to figure out is how to do a live blog while wearing those improved-but-still-dorky 3D glasses.

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
That'd be pretty sweet.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

DonHutson
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Another chance to pay to watch games I used to see for free?

Thank you sir, may I have another...

Partial
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
This can be done right now. Duh!

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/09/3dglasses.jpg

KYPack
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
If David Modell is involved, the whole thing will be a totally fucked up mess.

Technology or no technology.

MadtownPacker
04-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Thank you sir, may I have another...Yeah, and this might also explains why the NFL was coming down hard on churches for showing games in public last year.

HD is good enough for me.

falco
04-07-2008, 08:35 PM

Thank you sir, may I have another...Yeah, and this might also explains why the NFL was coming down hard on churches for showing games in public last year.

HD is good enough for me.

amen to that - i'll just be happy to get my locals in HD this fall