PDA

View Full Version : Blowing In The Wind

packinpatland
04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080407/ap_en_ot/pulitzers_arts

Now, for some of us really 'old' folks here........this is pretty cool.

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Congrats to Dylan. Great artist.

I wouldn't call him the best songwriter of the last half-century, though.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Who would be then? Manilow?

Jimx29
04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
McCartney/Lennon

Joemailman
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
What's cool is that Dylan has outlasted all of his contemporaries in terms of relevance. His latest album is one of his best. When was the last time McCartney, the Stones or Pete Townsend released an album that really had people talking? Dylan is the greatest songwriter of the last half century, and it's not even close. His influence on a whole generation of songwriters (Bono, Sting, Springsteen, just to name a few) has been profound.

Harlan Huckleby
04-07-2008, 08:22 PM

Who would be then? Manilow?

BArry! Barry! Barry!

Harlan Huckleby
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
What's cool is that Dylan has outlasted all of his contemporaries in terms of relevance. His latest album is one of his best. When was the last time McCartney, the Stones or Pete Townsend released an album that really had people talking? Dylan is the greatest songwriter of the last half century, and it's not even close. His influence on a whole generation of songwriters (Bono, Sting, Springsteen, just to name a few) has been profound.

I don't know how much he influenced anybody. He just continued traditions, added some rock and roll.

But I agree his ability to keep reinventing himself is quite amazing. I saw a Dylan concert back in 82 when I figured he was washed up, but I'd check him out anyway. Damn, amazing ability to hold an audience spellbound.

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 08:35 PM
McCartney/Lennon

Yes.

red
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
he influenced almost everyone

hendrix was a huge fan of his, i think the beatles were, almost everyone of the hippie groups were

the mass amount of songs he wrote that others turned into hits is staggering

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 08:45 PM
i think the beatles were.

All of them were except Lennon, at least towards the end of his career. Dylan introduced the Beatles to marijuana in 1964, actually.

God
By John Lennon

I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me

packinpatland
04-07-2008, 08:49 PM
"I don't know how much he influenced anybody. He just continued traditions, added some rock and roll."

What is that supposed to mean????? :shock:

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
The senior citizens are getting angry......

packinpatland
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
No kidding..........I was getting heart palpatations :lol:

red
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
who the hell is a senior citizen?

packinpatland
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
This is how old I am..... :lol: ........this was our 'theme' song..don't tell my kids.....

Well, they'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good,
They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would.
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home.
Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone.
But I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned.

Well, they'll stone ya when you're walkin' 'long the street.
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to keep your seat.
They'll stone ya when you're walkin' on the floor.
They'll stone ya when you're walkin' to the door.

They'll stone ya when you're at the breakfast table.
They'll stone ya when you are young and able.
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to make a buck.
They'll stone ya and then they'll say, "good luck."
Tell ya what, I would not feel so all alone,

Well, they'll stone you and say that it's the end.
Then they'll stone you and then they'll come back again.
They'll stone you when you're riding in your car.
They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar.
Yes, but I would not feel so all alone,

Well, they'll stone you when you walk all alone.
They'll stone you when you are walking home.
They'll stone you and then say you are brave.
They'll stone you when you are set down in your grave.

Deputy Nutz
04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I think Dylan is ok, never got into his music very much.

Lennon and McCartney are pretty much the cream at the top. It is hard to put anyone above them in terms of song writting.

Lets not forget Neil Diamond. Fantastic song writer, absolutely fantastic.

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Love on the rocks
Aint no surprise
Pour me a drink
And I'll tell you some lies
Got nothing to lose
So you just sing the blues all the time

texaspackerbacker
04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Why the thread title, though? Wasn't Blowin' in the Wind a Peter, Paul, and Mary song? Or did Dylan write it for them?

red
04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Why the thread title, though? Wasn't Blowin' in the Wind a Peter, Paul, and Mary song? Or did Dylan write it for them?

no, dylan wrote it for himself

they covered it, along with just about everyone else

Tyrone Bigguns
04-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Lennon and Mac...well, that is TWO people together. That doesn't even compare to dylan. Dylan started as a folkie, moved into rock n roll, did country, etc...and influenced more artists and writing styles. You wouldn't have such artists as Joni Mitchell.

There isn't really one song that the beatles put out that had the cultural influence of "blowin in the wind" or "the times they are-a-changin"..major anti war and civil rights anthems.

Not to mention that dylan didn't start his career with such great lyrics as ...she loves you, yeah yeah yeah. :roll:

If we are talking songwriting partners then you could list difford/tillbrook, goffin/king, holland/dozier/dozier, forster/mclennnan (who christgau said were the greatest working when they were still together in the go-betweens), mick/keef, strummer/jones, john/taupin, marr/morrissey, becker/fagen, jerry/hunter, lieber/stoller, etc.

HarveyWallbangers
04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I think Dylan is ok, never got into his music very much.

Lennon and McCartney are pretty much the cream at the top. It is hard to put anyone above them in terms of song writting.

Agreed.

3irty1
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm afraid I'm more of a James Taylor fan.

oregonpackfan
04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Though I admired Dylan's lyrics, I never liked his voice.

BallHawk
04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Lennon and Mac...well, that is TWO people together. That doesn't even compare to dylan. Dylan started as a folkie, moved into rock n roll, did country, etc...and influenced more artists and writing styles. You wouldn't have such artists as Joni Mitchell.

There isn't really one song that the beatles put out that had the cultural influence of "blowin in the wind" or "the times they are-a-changin"..major anti war and civil rights anthems.

McCartney wrote the majority of songs and lyrics. Lennon would add a line or two and because of the pact they made earlier in their careers, all of their songs would be listed Lennon/McCartney.

Dylan influenced writing styles. The Beatles changed music. Show me a Dylan album that has the effect on the music industry that Sgt. Pepper did. Listen, Dylan is great and I like his music, to a degree, but if we're comparing Dylan to Beatles, there is no comparison.

In regards to Dylan's political statements, that was his thing. The Beatles interjected politics into some of their music, but they had a different musical ambition than Dylan.

Two complete different types of music. However, both are great. IMO, though, The Beatles were just flat out better musically and lyrically.

packinpatland
04-08-2008, 05:42 AM

Sweet Baby James will always top my list.

Zool
04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Abbey Road changed music for ever.

red
04-08-2008, 07:58 AM

what?

i what to shoot myself every time i here a james taylor song. he has to be the most boring singer of all time

crap puts me to sleep

packinpatland
04-08-2008, 09:14 AM

what?

i what to shoot myself every time i here a james taylor song. he has to be the most boring singer of all time

crap puts me to sleep

Yeah..........he's a nobody, no staying power..... :roll:

A TRIBUTE TO JAMES TAYLOR premiered on November 29, 2006 on PBS

With his gentle acoustic sound and insightful lyrics, James Taylor remains one of the most influential and beloved singer-songwriters to emerge from the popular music scene of the 1970s. In a career extending over three decades, Taylor's musical craftsmanship has delighted critics and audiences alike. In recognition of his many achievements in music, as well as his philanthropic efforts, Taylor was honored in February 2006 as "Person of the Year" by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences' MusiCares program. The all-star lineup of performers paying tribute to "Sweet Baby James" includes India Arie, Jackson Browne, David Crosby, Dixie Chicks, Sheryl Crow, Jerry Douglas, Dr. John, Carole King, Alison Krauss, Taj Mahal, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, Sting, and Keith Urban.

The MusiCares tribute is just the latest honor for the much-admired musician heralded by TIME magazine as the "originator of the singer-songwriter era" in 1971. In 2000 Taylor was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and BILLBOARD magazine recognized his creative achievements with their Century Award in 1998.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM

McCartney wrote the majority of songs and lyrics. Lennon would add a line or two and because of the pact they made earlier in their careers, all of their songs would be listed Lennon/McCartney.

Dylan influenced writing styles. The Beatles changed music. Show me a Dylan album that has the effect on the music industry that Sgt. Pepper did. Listen, Dylan is great and I like his music, to a degree, but if we're comparing Dylan to Beatles, there is no comparison.

In regards to Dylan's political statements, that was his thing. The Beatles interjected politics into some of their music, but they had a different musical ambition than Dylan.

Two complete different types of music. However, both are great. IMO, though, The Beatles were just flat out better musically and lyrically.

I have to disagree with McCartney doing most of the writing. That is just plain false. McCartney was the only one of the four that could really read music and he did several scores for movies, but Lennon pretty much wrote the music that he was lead vocals on and McCartney was the main influence on the songs that he was the lead vocals on.

McCartney and his ego now like to take credit for most of the music they wrote, pulling stunts like listing music on his live cd as McCartney with Lennon, instead of the way it should be, McCartney/Lennon.

Three albums that changed music forever, St. Peppers, White Album, and Abbey Road.

Albums that don't get credit Rubber Soul and Revolver. Revolver is one of my personal favorites,

Harlan Huckleby
04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
"I don't know how much he influenced anybody. He just continued traditions, added some rock and roll."

What is that supposed to mean????? :shock:

If Dylan hadn't existed, I doubt music would be that different today.

Some give him credit for mixing country with rock, but really the Byrds were already there ahead of him.

He did push famously push rock on the folk crowd, but so what? Rock and folk pretty much continued on their own separate merry ways.

Some say that he got singer-songwriter thing rolling, but that's silly. HE was continuing in the tradition of Woody Guthrie, etc. I don't think James Taylor needed to know how to be a singer-songwriter.

His trippy lyrics? He didn't invent poetry.

I'm not taking away from what he has accomplished, he is his own genre. I just don't think he changed music very much, and that aspect doesn't matter to me anyway.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-08-2008, 11:42 AM

What you are doing is conflating two things. When you want, you talk about the Beatles changing music..well, that is the BEATLES..that isn't Mac and Lennon..that is FOUR guys.

The award was for best songwriter.

However, if you don't think he changed music as compared to the beatles you are crazy. Dylan's early lyrics incorporated politics, social commentary, philosophy and literary influences, defying existing pop music conventions...you think the beatles coulda wrote what they did without dylan blazing the trail? LOL

Let me quote Harrison on Freewheelin' "We just played it, just wore it out. The content of the song lyrics and just the attitude — it was incredibly original and wonderful."

Rolling Stone had him #2 as the greatest artist..second to the beatles..and once again, the beatles aren't just 2 guys.

THe song "like a rolling stone" changed perceptions about what a pop song could be.

Dylan didn't have one album..his whole career was more significant. YOu think rock guys woulda produced the country rock sound of the 70s without Nashville Skyline? :roll:

That period..61 revisited, blonde on blonde, bring it all back home..that trilogy changed changed music. It incorporated everything..folk, blues, rock, country, gospel, british beat, surrealism, dadaism, etc...and made it into a coherent voice.

BallHawk
04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Dylan added nothing musically. His lyrics did have an impact outside of music but when you look at the music of the song it has been done before. Like A Rolling Stone didn't shake up how music was made and produced.

Zool
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
This probably comes down to personal preference and music styles, but the Beatles changed the way songs were structured. That to me is song writing. To me lyrics are almost secondary to everything else going on. Most music up to that point was:
Intro
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Bridge
Verse
Chorus
End

That and I've never been much of a Dylan fan. Personally think it sounds like a cat being tortured while he's singing. The music is secondary in his songs and that isnt a mix I like to listen to.

BallHawk
04-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I have to disagree with McCartney doing most of the writing. That is just plain false. McCartney was the only one of the four that could really read music and he did several scores for movies, but Lennon pretty much wrote the music that he was lead vocals on and McCartney was the main influence on the songs that he was the lead vocals on.

I phrased that badly. I would agree with what you said about the lead vocals on their respective songs. Lennon produced some absolutely fantastic songs that really shook up music, but if you look at the bulk of the Beatles work McCartney constitutes for the majority of the songs. It's well accepted that Paul was the better musician. Now, whether Lennon was the better songwriter....that's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I think McCartney consistently put out good songs at a better rate than Lennon, but that's just me. It's neck-neck. You don't have the Beatles without Lennon and you don't have them without McCartney. George Harrison needs to get some more credit, too. He was way more talented than the Beatles allowed him to be in the songwriting process. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a fantastic song. Paul's ego did dwarf George's abilities and that was one of the things that lead to the breakup.

McCartney and his ego now like to take credit for most of the music they wrote, pulling stunts like listing music on his live cd as McCartney withree Lennon, instead of the way it should be, McCartney/Lennon.

Agreed. Paul has become selfish over the years.

Three albums that changed music forever, St. Peppers, White Album, and Abbey Road.

Albums that don't get credit Rubber Soul and Revolver. Revolver is one of my personal favorites

I've never been a fan of Rubber Soul. I never felt it had a lot of depth or substance to it. Revolver is indeed a fantastic album.

Let It Be doesn't get enough credit. Rolling Stone ranked it #86 which is just mind-boggling. The fact that the album could be so good when the band was all but finished is amazing.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Dylan added nothing musically. His lyrics did have an impact outside of music but when you look at the music of the song it has been done before. Like A Rolling Stone didn't shake up how music was made and produced.

You are outta your mind. He mixed many genres..that was unheard of.

The beatles...musically? How are they any more important than the Stones, Beach Boys, etc.

Again, you are talking Beatles..for you to continue to conflate Dylan vs. Mac and lennon..and then when it suits you switch to the beatles is disengenous.

Harlan Huckleby
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
conflate...switch...disengenous.

he should be more linear, like Dylan :lol: