PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new here

sheepshead
04-08-2008, 07:50 AM
After a number of years at JSOnline and a little time at "addict" I want to give this place a try. Looks like a good forum as I enjoy Packer talk all year round.

KYPack
04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
C'mon in Sheephead. You were always my favorite WI card game.

SkinBasket
04-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Welcome. You're first post... two years in the making.

Scott Campbell
04-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Welcome fellow Rat.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Welcome to Heaven run by a Mexican

oregonpackfan
04-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Welcome. The posting is not as hostile on this forum compared to JS.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 10:30 AM

It is a smaller community than what was at JSO, so people have to be more responsible for the posts.

Harlan Huckleby
04-08-2008, 11:19 AM

It is a smaller community than what was at JSO, so people have to be more responsible for the posts.

familiarity also allows for more personalized and detailed insults. none of those hallmark card insults here.

texaspackerbacker
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
They have really made me feel at home here, Sheepshead. I think you'll probably get the same nice treatment.

packinpatland
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the PR neighborhood..........a darn nice place to be :whist:

sheepshead
04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks all - looking forward to it.

GoPackGo
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Welcome to Heaven run by a Mexican

and shat upon and ruined by Partial

Welcome to the forum!

Gunakor
04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
After a number of years at JSOnline and a little time at "addict" I want to give this place a try. Looks like a good forum as I enjoy Packer talk all year round.

Good to see you Sheepshead. Welcome!

Tarlam!
04-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I have to pay credit that you take your identity with you from JSO to here. That shows a strong belief in oneself.

But, I am gonna be anti social for the first time on here.

I read a lot of your putrid provokative crap on JSO and thanked my lucky stars you weren't here. You have an undeniable talent to attack people on a personal basis. I respect that.

Now you are here, I will say, welcome, but leave the ego at the door.

sheepshead
04-08-2008, 03:08 PM
well Tarlam, I'll take that as a compliment. I just have little tolerance for blow hards and people pulling stuff out of you-know-where. I try to spend time on these boards to learn and contribute if I can. Actually, I think my ego is ALWAYS at the door. My tag line was "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong". People stating an opinion as fact or something that is so off the wall should be challenged. Sometimes you have to be absurd to point out absurdity .

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Zool
04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
well Tarlam, I'll take that as a compliment. I just have little tolerance for blow hards and people pulling stuff out of you-know-where. I try to spend time on these boards to learn and contribute if I can. Actually, I think my ego is ALWAYS at the door. My tag line was "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong". People stating an opinion as fact or something that is so off the wall should be challenged. Sometimes you have to be absurd to point out absurdity .

You'll fit in nicely.

GoPackGo
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I just have little tolerance for blow hards and people pulling stuff out of you-know-where.

\
Me too. I like you already

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I guess be yourself, if you're asshole, be an asshole. Just read the rules and regs of this place. Don't post personal information of other posters, don't post private messages from other posters, and don't hack the Rats all is good.

SkinBasket
04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I guess be yourself, if you're asshole, be an asshole. Just read the rules and regs of this place. Don't post personal information of other posters, don't post private messages from other posters, and don't hack the Rats all is good.

And no lesbians outside of their designated area.

Guiness
04-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Fair enough that statement. The atmosphere at JSO was (still is?) enough to try the patience of a saint...

KYPack
04-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Fair enough that statement. The atmosphere at JSO was (still is?) enough to try the patience of a saint...

Like attempting to implement the metric system in the US, JSO is dead. They've tried to start another forum to replace it, but it isn't as good as PR.

Bretsky
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome Sheepshead; Glad you decided to join. You'll find a lot of very solid posters in here and around draft time and during the season this place is nuts busy.

mmmdk
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Really? That's why a big mac sucks...I guess!?

falco
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Really? That's why a big mac sucks...I guess!?

you aren't kidding about it being a small community here....

joemailman delivers my mail

i see esoxx getting gas at kwik trip once in awhile

and i had to give fosco's dad a jump when his battery died in the middle of the wilderness.....

now thats a small community, IMHO

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
and i had to give fosco's dad a jump when his battery died in the middle of the wilderness.....

now thats a small community, IMHO

I remember that....freaky when you two discovered that..that was cool!

Welcome Sheepshead!!

MadtownPacker
04-08-2008, 09:31 PM

You'll fit in nicely.Exactly.

Welcome to the forum Sheepshead. Dont pay any attention to Tarlam, his balls where emotionally removed along with his spine a few months ago.

oregonpackfan
04-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Ah, I remember those cold winter Wisconsin mornings when the only way to start my Ford Pinto was to give it "A Jump."

When my wife and I saw the movie Fargo, we laughed uproariously when the female sheriff kisses her husband while he reads the paper at the kitchen table. She leaves for the garage, comes back in 10 seconds later, and announces, "I need a jump!"

That scene happened to us so many times in Rice Lake that we broke up laughing to the point of tears. :lol:

Jimx29
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
http://i27.tinypic.com/wsmg76.gif

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM

So what you're saying is if you call the Ace of clubs partner and I open the game by leading it, I'm gonna hear about it ... :D

Welcome to the forum. :glug:

sheepshead
04-09-2008, 07:37 AM

Welcome to the forum Sheepshead. Dont pay any attention to Tarlam, his balls where emotionally removed along with his spine a few months ago.

Thanks for all the laughs guys. This should be fun!

KYPack
04-09-2008, 08:50 AM

So what you're saying is if you call the Ace of clubs partner and I open the game by leading it, I'm gonna hear about it ... :D

Welcome to the forum. :glug:

Call an Ae?

Real men play JD and the picker exclusively, IT.

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Apparently not the "real men" in my family.

But then again, Sheeps was not the game the real men in my family played at all. When the whole family played, including the ladies and kids, it was sheeps. When the men played, it was skät.

GBRulz
04-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Ah, I remember those cold winter Wisconsin mornings when the only way to start my Ford Pinto was to give it "A Jump."

There lies the problem, my friend :lol:

KYPack
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM

But then again, Sheeps was not the game the real men in my family played at all. When the whole family played, including the ladies and kids, it was sheeps. When the men played, it was skät.

(Warning: this is a thread jack. If you didn't grow up in WI and hang around a bunch of crazy WI Germans, none of this will make any sense.)

I know what ya mean. My distant uncle had a farm in central WI. His wife (my aunt) would teach the kids card games in the other room. I was taught schafkopf (German for Sheepshead) in that room. All the old German farmers would play skat in the main room. Any children entering the Skat room would be shot or sold as slaves. Old German farmers are a crabby bunch.

I learned Sheeps and still try to play it when I get around Cheeseheads whenever I can. I tried to, but never learned skat. Someone could teach me how to build an atomic bomb from scratch quicker than they could teach how to do Reizen.

In our house, the kids played simple sheeps or Euchre. The men all played Sheeps, 5 handed, JD and the Picker. The same prohibition applied on children entering the adult men card room.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM

(Warning: this is a thread jack. If you didn't grow up in WI and hang around a bunch of crazy WI Germans, none of this will make any sense.)

I know what ya mean. My distant uncle had a farm in central WI. His wife (my aunt) would teach the kids card games in the other room. I was taught schafkopf (German for Sheepshead) in that room. All the old German farmers would play skat in the main room. Any children entering the Skat room would be shot or sold as slaves. Old German farmers are a crabby bunch.

I learned Sheeps and still try to play it when I get around Cheeseheads whenever I can. I tried to, but never learned skat. Someone could teach me how to build an atomic bomb from scratch quicker than they could teach how to do Reizen.

In our house, the kids played simple sheeps or Euchre. The men all played Sheeps, 5 handed, JD and the Picker. The same prohibition applied on children entering the adult men card room.

I actually forgot how to play Sheepshead. I learned Ucher and have never looked back outside of Poker it is the only card game I play, well I play dirty clubs but thats the same as Ucher.

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I love card games. They're more interactive and exciting than TV, yet you can still drink while participating. :P

Between my mom's side and my dad's side, I learned the old German games---sheeps (3, 4, and 5-handed) and skät---plus the rummy games, cribbage, poker, and numerous others. I've picked up euchre, hearts, spades, pitch and even pinochle over the years. Some Latvian friends taught our family the Latvian card game "cuka," and a friend of mine in college who was from Hawaii taught me a Filipino card game called Pusoy Dos, which we taught other people and played a lot. It's a lot more fun than euchre, which a lot of other people at school played.

My Dad and his old buddies have played skät all through the years. I think he taught some of them the game. My dad taught my brother and me to play when we were "old enough." Now I play skät with my Dad and brother and one of my dad's old friends when we go on fishing trips up north.

I've played sheeps mostly with my family or with a group of people I met through a friend at work, and they all play 5-handed Call an Ace. But this is all mixed company---men, women, teenage kids---playing for nickels. I played a couple times with just some guys from work, and it was 5-handed JD. So I guess I see where "real men's" sheepshead is played JD. I like the strategy of Call an Ace, though. JD seems inelegant to me.

Funny thing: Hoyle makes a PC game with a bunch of card games, and skät is one of the games offered. No sign of sheeps. I thought that was strange, since sheeps is the more popular game.

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Any children entering the Skat room would be shot or sold as slaves. Old German farmers are a crabby bunch.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can identify with this.

KYPack
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
It's kinda regional, too.

Milwaukee seems to call an Ace territory, but north of FonduLac, it's JD & the picker.

Western WI is more euchre than Sheeps.

Skat is in the hard core German areas, whereever they are.

Played some Polish suited games in S. Milwaukee. It was fun, but I didn't know what I was doing. In college we all had to add hearts & spades to our repetoire so the outta state kids could play. when most of 'em learned Sheeps, they loved it.

Some really fun times in my life were in Mexico, Hawaii, & Colorado. I blundered across some ex-patriate WI people and we got up a solid game of Sheeps. In each case, sausage, cheese and beer appear as if by magic during the hands. Lot's a beer of course.

In those situations, it's funny to watch the on-lookers. They all want to play, but don't trry to teach 'em. Sheeps cannot be taught in a single sitting.

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
It's kinda regional, too.

Milwaukee seems to call an Ace territory, but north of FonduLac, it's JD & the picker.

Western WI is more euchre than Sheeps.

Skat is in the hard core German areas, whereever they are.

Sounds right to me. My sheeps experience is Milwaukee and Waukesha counties.

Played some Polish suited games in S. Milwaukee. It was fun, but I didn't know what I was doing. In college we all had to add hearts & spades to our repetoire so the outta state kids could play. when most of 'em learned Sheeps, they loved it.

Some really fun times in my life were in Mexico, Hawaii, & Colorado. I blundered across some ex-patriate WI people and we got up a solid game of Sheeps. In each case, sausage, cheese and beer appear as if by magic during the hands. Lot's a beer of course.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love it.

Reminds me a bit of some time ago when I was in Hawaii visiting friends. Here I am on the deck of the guy's sailboat in the harbor, grilling brats on the charcoal grill and drinking Korbel brandy. Gotta love that---a little bit of Wisconsin in paradise. No sheepshead though. :(

Funny thing about how regional sheeps is---it really is limited mostly to Wisconsin (and Germany, of course). I used to play sheeps online at Yahoo games, and it seemed everyone on there was either from Wisconsin or from Germany. People were on there chatting about when they were gonna meet for the next get-together or local sheeps tourney in Sheboygan or Milwaukee or upstate somewhere.

Meanwhile, you switch over to another game and there are people on there from everywhere in the world, and there's none of the community like in the sheeps room.

In those situations, it's funny to watch the on-lookers. They all want to play, but don't trry to teach 'em. Sheeps cannot be taught in a single sitting. Absolutely. It takes a while to learn, and then more time to actually get good at it.

woodbuck27
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I love card games. They're more interactive and exciting than TV, yet you can still drink while participating. :P

Between my mom's side and my dad's side, I learned the old German games---sheeps (3, 4, and 5-handed) and skät---plus the rummy games, cribbage, poker, and numerous others. I've picked up euchre, hearts, spades, pitch and even pinochle over the years. Some Latvian friends taught our family the Latvian card game "cuka," and a friend of mine in college who was from Hawaii taught me a Filipino card game called Pusoy Dos, which we taught other people and played a lot. It's a lot more fun than euchre, which a lot of other people at school played.

My Dad and his old buddies have played skät all through the years. I think he taught some of them the game. My dad taught my brother and me to play when we were "old enough." Now I play skät with my Dad and brother and one of my dad's old friends when we go on fishing trips up north.

I've played sheeps mostly with my family or with a group of people I met through a friend at work, and they all play 5-handed Call an Ace. But this is all mixed company---men, women, teenage kids---playing for nickels. I played a couple times with just some guys from work, and it was 5-handed JD. So I guess I see where "real men's" sheepshead is played JD. I like the strategy of Call an Ace, though. JD seems inelegant to me.

Funny thing: Hoyle makes a PC game with a bunch of card games, and skät is one of the games offered. No sign of sheeps. I thought that was strange, since sheeps is the more popular game.

Hey! I can see the book now.

Toss in Whist (a Bridge variation), 45's and 69's (two Maritime favourites) as well. All three games solid fun!

Welcome sheepshead. :D

Packers Forever.

woodbuck27
04-11-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks for all the laughs guys. This should be fun!

:glug: sheepshead fr. two fellas from the Great White North. :glug:

Guiness and woodbuck27.