PDA

View Full Version : al harris

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Cornerback Al Harris, who skipped the last minicamp to demonstrate his unhappiness with his contract, said Tuesday night he will not attend the OTAs. ...

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=85746&ntpid=1

if he holds out this will suck

Partial
05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
wtf is his problem? He is one of the most overrated players in the league. He's a good corner, but he doesn't produce turnovers and thus deserve top dollar.

He'd be the best number 2 corner in the league, but he's a merely average number one.

He is getting 3.728 million a season averaged out across the 5 year span. That's a fairly significant amount for a corner on the wronside of 30 who has been a career backup and hasn't demostrated the ability to create big plays for the defense. Solid, very, one of the best in the league, hardly.

Badgepack
05-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Harris in 2004 Signed a five-year, $19 million (including $7 million in bonuses) contract extension with the Packers. Harris is a hell of a corner, but jeesch, honor your contract.

Badgepack
05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
That is if he is going to threaten to hold out.

Row 67
05-31-2006, 01:03 PM
F' Him.

Ahmad Carroll will take his spot and we'll go w/o him.

I'm getting sick of the inmates running the assylum.

The Leaper
05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
I can't see his point...he's not an elite CB. He's slow, and getting old. He has ZERO leverage and there is no possible way that Thompson gives him one more dollar.

In some respect, I'm glad he's holding out. He isn't the long term answer in Green Bay...and this gives Carroll the reps he needs to get to improve during the summer.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Imagine if he actually made it to A pro bowl.

Rastak
05-31-2006, 01:41 PM
I can't see his point...he's not an elite CB. He's slow, and getting old. He has ZERO leverage and there is no possible way that Thompson gives him one more dollar.

In some respect, I'm glad he's holding out. He isn't the long term answer in Green Bay...and this gives Carroll the reps he needs to get to improve during the summer.

I agree with you guys he has no valid reason to be upset, but missing voluntary workouts isn't really holding out and I doubt he will stay away come training camp.

Mazzin
05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Don't care what any of you say he is the MAN at bump and run. Think about it he has been covering the other teams number one EVERYPLAY! he is the man. Deserves more money but his agent says that he will talk about an extension AFTER this season he is a PRO not a Dip Shit like Mike, and Javon

MJZiggy
05-31-2006, 02:06 PM
That was my point in the other thread. If he's not going to bring up a new contract 'til the end of the season, what possible reason does he have for missing camp because of it now?

Rastak
05-31-2006, 02:10 PM
That was my point in the other thread. If he's not going to bring up a new contract 'til the end of the season, what possible reason does he have for missing camp because of it now?

To show the GM he's pissed. He wouldn't be the first guy to skip all voluntary workouts to send a message. A guy gets fined when he misses training camp. I don't think he's Javon Walker type pissed.

MJZiggy
05-31-2006, 02:15 PM
But why is he pissed if he's not even going to bring it up 'til after the season? Shouldn't he just be in there showing them he's dedicated and worth the increase so that when he does go in to talk about it at the end of the season he can bring up his dedication and performance? What's he got to be pissed about now?

Rastak
05-31-2006, 02:17 PM
But why is he pissed if he's not even going to bring it up 'til after the season? Shouldn't he just be in there showing them he's dedicated and worth the increase so that when he does go in to talk about it at the end of the season he can bring up his dedication and performance? What's he got to be pissed about now?

You got me Ziggy, he no reason at all to be upset.

packrulz
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't think it's a big deal, lots of guys miss mini camps, not just him.

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Whenever the salary cap bumps up, the players who signed contracts a couple years ago kinda get screwed. Well, at least they feel underpayed.

Donald Driver would have held-out if Thompson hadn't given him that huge raise.

I don't think Harris will hold out, he's a good player, but the Packers could go with Carrol & Hawkins. Harris is up there in age.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-31-2006, 02:45 PM
I think we should sign DEION SANDERS, regardless of whether Harris holds out or not.

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 02:46 PM
I think Deion would make a good sideline reporter.

packrulz
05-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Whenever the salary cap bumps up, the players who signed contracts a couple years ago kinda get screwed. Well, at least they feel underpayed.

Donald Driver would have held-out if Thompson hadn't given him that huge raise.

I don't think Harris will hold out, he's a good player, but the Packers could go with Carrol & Hawkins. Harris is up there in age.

I coudn't see Driver holding out. He didn't even say much except he thought he was underpaid.

MJZiggy
05-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Don't most of 'em think they're underpaid?

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Well, this is Driver's last contract, it's now or never. He could easily be done in a couple years. He was fortunate that a deal got worked out behind the scenes. I don't think he would have played the next two years at low pay, then fade off into the sunset.

MJZiggy
05-31-2006, 03:02 PM
I thought that was the plan. He wanted to retire G&G so they gave him a long contract to ensure it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 03:02 PM

With the salary cap constantly rising, ya, a lot are underpaid.

I think the GM should only make adjustments for guys who are very valuable and substantially underpaid. Driver & Walker, for instance.

MJZiggy
05-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey!! We agree!! :razz:

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 03:04 PM
I thought that was the plan. He wanted to retire G&G so they gave him a long contract to ensure it.

ya, but the team, in theory, could have continued to get his services dirt cheap for two years, and then give him a new contract if he was still healthy and productive.

Others can believe what they want, but I think Driver had the bargaining position to force the Packers to give him a raise immediately.

packrulz
05-31-2006, 03:05 PM
I remember when Fergy & Grady Jackson were bitching they were underpaid.

MJZiggy
05-31-2006, 03:05 PM

ya, but the team, in theory, could have continued to get his services dirt cheap for two years, and then give him a new contract if he was still healthy and productive.

Others can believe what they want, but I don't think Driver had the bargaining position to force the Packers to give him a raise immediately.

We still agree!!! It was a good thing they did to make that contract happen.

BlueBrewer
05-31-2006, 03:06 PM

With the salary cap constantly rising, ya, a lot are underpaid.

I think the GM should only make adjustments for guys who are very valuable and substantially underpaid. Driver & Walker, for instance.

Walker was substantially over paid his first two years when he did nothing. Besides he is no longer a Packer.

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Well, Grady actually was underpaid.
He screwed his future by getting too fat. I thought he looked like he was gonna die last fall.

chain_gang
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Funny thing is pretty quick they'll be bitching they're unemployed not underpaid. Although Grady is already unemployed, Fergie's gotta be pretty close.

Partial
05-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Don't care what any of you say he is the MAN at bump and run. Think about it he has been covering the other teams number one EVERYPLAY! he is the man. Deserves more money but his agent says that he will talk about an extension AFTER this season he is a PRO not a Dip Shit like Mike, and Javon

wrong, he is one of the most overrated players in football.

Tony Oday
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
BS I think Harris deserves some more guarenteed money. Maybe not more just protect the guy if he gets hurt he has played very well here and is respected around the NFL.

This is what you get when you sign big FA the current guys get ticked.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, Grady actually was underpaid.
He screwed his future by getting too fat. I thought he looked like he was gonna die last fall.

Not really. The Packers took on his contract in 2003 when he was cut. They resigned him to a two-year extension--which was pretty good security for a guy who was cut. The first year of that deal, he played 10 games and totalled 23 tackles and 1 sack. That's not a lot of production for a guy making over $1M/year.

Grady was a malcontent because of his contract--yet apparently he was overpaid because teams aren't offering him the money he was making the last two years.

Stop the Grady was underpaid crap. He played 40% of the snaps. Nobody else seems to value him any higher than the Packers did.

No Mo Moss
05-31-2006, 05:13 PM
If we pay Harris, for right or wrong, the line outside TT's door will reach Lake Michigan.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Why can't Harris complain about his $$$? I think it is fine. He is a very good CB who has played very well during his time in GB. Now if he actually holds out and starts hurting the team then I might care but right now it is all talk. If he has said he will honor his contract but is trying to make a point with missing these camps then thats cool. His choice. He is just a lil upset about Woodson getting shown the $$$.

No one listen to HH with his cult talk. You all may have missed it but wilde also had a less heard of side story about a "fan" who was an idiot. Rumor's say it is Harlan but I think he is worse then an idiot.

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Mad, you are my new LawyerJoe.

Why does every latent homosexual follow me around?

Scott Campbell
05-31-2006, 07:08 PM
I think I understand where Al is coming from. Woodson got all that money after sucking the last couple of years. Al played well the last couple of years, and he probably wants money equal to Woodson. It's flawed logic, but I think I understand how he arrived at it.

MJZiggy
05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
But still no one seems to be able to tell me if he's announced that he's not going to even talk about his contract until after the season, what reason could he possibly have to "demonstrate he's unhappy with his contract" now? Wouldn't that be something to do next offseason after you've at least had a conversation about it? So far, no one has said that they wouldn't redo his deal at the end of the season so what does he have to hold back for?

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
I saw Harris on cribs. He's made about 7 or 8 mil so far over the last 2 years. I would say he has all of that spent by the looks of his crib.

You look at the guys who complain. They have all they money spent. Walker, Jackson and now Harris. I think it's more of a desparation thing.

Also, Harris knows he only has a couple of good years left. He sees Carroll, Hawkins and now Blackmon coming up behind him. He's gonna take a stab.

esoxx
05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
I think I understand where Al is coming from. Woodson got all that money after sucking the last couple of years. Al played well the last couple of years, and he probably wants money equal to Woodson. It's flawed logic, but I think I understand how he arrived at it.

When Harris makes multiple Pro Bowls like Woodson has, then he can whine about being paid like him, not before. We're still waiting on Al's first.

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Harris really isn't an outspoken guy and I don't see him causing any major waves in the locker room. I have no worries that he'll come in to TC and play.

It would be the worst thing ever if TT redid his contract when he's already signed until 2009.

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 09:17 PM
I saw Harris on cribs. He's made about 7 or 8 mil so far over the last 2 years. I would say he has all of that spent by the looks of his crib.

You look at the guys who complain. They have all they money spent. Walker, Jackson and now Harris. I think it's more of a desparation thing.

Also, Harris knows he only has a couple of good years left. He sees Carroll, Hawkins and now Blackmon coming up behind him. He's gonna take a stab.

I wonder if that's why ol Cletidius was sued by that jeweler in Milwaukee for not paying his $250k bill. And didn't Grady Jackson have his furniture repo'd last year, too? The problem is, alot of these players never had money and now they have it and have no clue how to be smart with it.

I remember seeing an interview with Tony Fisher last year, he was saying how blessed he was with making $400,000 a year and how he has much of the money put away so that he and his family are taken care of for life. I guess to some, getting ice'd up and having 10 cars isn't a priority.

pbmax
05-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Harris will be in for camp and not hold out. He doesn't have the leverage of youth and untapped potential that Walker had and over-estimated, so I believe he will be true to his "I'm not Mike McKenzie" word.

And that cash that APB has fretted about will go into Rodgers contract as a LTBE incentive that he won't get and into Harris' pocket when he gets an extension, not a redo and a small roster/option bonus due soon after signing.

And then APB can start to rail against Thompson's plan for next year's $17 mil in cap room.

Partial
06-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Naturally, with that 17 million dollars he will bring in Tom Brady, Javon Kearse, Simeon Rice, Walter Jones, Ed Reed, and trade a 2nd round pick and a 5th in 2008 for Randy Moss AND Jerry Porter

billy_oliver880
06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Naturally, with that 17 million dollars he will bring in Tom Brady, Javon Kearse, Simeon Rice, Walter Jones, Ed Reed, and trade a 2nd round pick and a 5th in 2008 for Randy Moss AND Jerry Porter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Where is tank!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bossman641
06-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Harris a no-show — until training camp

By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Al Harris is skipping another one of the Green Bay Packers’ offseason programs, but the veteran cornerback might not be willing to go to extreme measures to get what he wants.

Harris wants the Packers to re-work the five-year, $18 million contract extension he signed in September 2004, and he skipped last month’s voluntary minicamp as a way of making his intentions known. He also failed to report to team headquarters on Wednesday for the first of 14 days of organized team activities (also voluntary) to be held through June 21. Harris was one of five defensive starters and 11 veteran players missing for the first day of OTAs.

The Packers, however, probably won’t have a Mike McKenzie- or Javon Walker-sized problem because Harris apparently intends to report on time for training camp.

When asked on Wednesday how far Harris is willing to go, his agent, Jack Bechta said: “Not very far at all.”

Bechta wouldn’t get into specifics about his client’s wishes but said Harris won’t hold out.

“Anything that’s mandatory, he’ll be at,” Bechta said. “Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s not going to be a Mike McKenzie or Javon Walker situation. There’s going to be nothing to write about come (training) camp.”

That means Harris won’t ask the Packers to trade him or release him like McKenzie and Walker did. He simply wants more money. Harris, 31, received a $5.25 million signing bonus nearly two years ago. He also received roster bonuses of $1 million in both 2005 and 2006. Harris’ base salary for this season is $1.5 million and the base salaries for the remainder of the contract are $2.2 million in 2007, $2.85 million in 2008 and $3 million in 2009. What Harris could be unhappy about is over the remainder of the contract, the only bonus money he could receive is a $500,000 roster bonus in 2007.

Harris and Bechta almost certainly know they’re unlikely to get a new deal from the Packers considering they’re only two years into the current contract and have three years remaining after this one.

However, this could be their way of reminding Packers General Manager Ted Thompson they won’t be taken for granted and to keep Harris in mind when it comes time to re-do the contracts of veteran players later this year or next season.

Thompson would appear to have no reason to throw more money at Harris considering he’s under contract through 2009 and on Dec. 7 he will turn 32, an age at which skill-position players quickly could begin to decline.

McCarthy said he hasn’t spoken to Harris about his contract but said, “I don’t anticipate it being a problem.”

Though Harris probably won’t attend any of the OTAs, McCarthy expressed hope some of the other missing veterans would return for at least part of the session. Other defensive starters who were no shows on Wednesday were: cornerback Charles Woodson, safety Nick Collins, linebacker A.J. Hawk and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett. McCarthy said Woodson was in Europe and would report some time next week. Hawk, the Packers’ first-round draft pick in April, can’t attend until next week, when classes conclude at Ohio State.

The extensive list of absent players bothered at least one veteran player.

“Yeah it does,” defensive end Aaron Kampman said. “We want to get more guys here. I personally don’t know all the ins and outs of everything, but we’re trying to get that addressed and get guys here. The fact that we were a 4-12 team last year, it becomes more important for us to make sure it doesn’t happen again. That’s why we want as many guys here as we can.”

Other veterans not in attendance were: safety Mark Roman, cornerback Ahmad Carroll, receivers Donald Driver and Rod Gardner, tight end Bubba Franks and defensive tackle Corey Williams. McCarthy said Roman was expected today or Friday.

“We had a number of guys missing for personal matters,” McCarthy said, “but I thought we got better as a football team today.

“Weââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re in the process of changing a culture as far as how offseasons have gone here in the past. Personally, I’ll never be pleased until we have 100 percent participation. That’s the goal. That will always be the goal, but I’m not naïve to the way things have gone here in the past. We are changing the culture.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harris has basically no leverage at all. There's no way he gets a reworked deal. If it comes to the worst and I were TT, I would put a bonus in his contract for reaching the Pro-Bowl. With Woodson on the other side Harris should have plenty of balls thrown his way. If he wants more bonus money, make him earn it.

chain_gang
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah I agree Harris doesn't really have any leverage, he's older, slower, still a good player, but Carroll will have the starting gig by next year anyways. No need to redo the contract at all. I could see if he was 28 or younger, but not at 31 for sure.

Rastak
06-01-2006, 10:13 AM
So will McCarthy cuss out Demovsky now?

MadtownPacker
06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Carroll will have the starting gig by next year anyways.He will have it by this season!

Rastak
06-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Carroll will have the starting gig by next year anyways.He will have it by this season!

That you Tex? LOL.....

Harlan Huckleby
06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
So will McCarthy cuss out Demovsky now?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Harlan Huckleby
06-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I think the jig is up and it is time for Harris to show up in G.B.

What small pressure he might have exerted with Thompson was lost when his mini-boycott became public. It was the THREAT of a public confrontation that gave Harris a little juice. Now his interests would best be served by showing up for practice with a smile on his face. He doesn't have the leverage for a real holdout into the season.

The Leaper
06-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Al Harris is putting all his chips behind a big year from himself and Woodson...that is the only way he is going to even get Thompson to consider reworking his current deal.

However, missing OTAs hurts Harris two ways. One, it prevents him from getting meaningful training time...although admittedly OTAs aren't going to really help Harris all that much. Two, it gives Carroll more training time...and if Carroll develops into the player we think he may, then Harris isn't going to have much chance getting another penny out of Green Bay.

Harris is very unlikely to see any more money. He just doesn't have the upside or youth to bring a team to the table...and the Packers don't have a gaping void in his absence that he can gain leverage from. If he holds out, Harris is only going to lose more $$$ by missing paychecks.

To me, this is more about Harris getting old and bored...and using the contract as an excuse to spend a little more time goofing off and relaxing.

Fritz
06-02-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm with the Leaper. This isn't about money at all. I think Al was outside, sipping on a Margarita pooside, some bikini'd babe laying next to him, and Al was thinking that he didn't really feel like getting up for some ice, much less heading up to Green Bay to run around in shorts with a bunch of sweaty guys.

So he had to come up with something. He ran some ideas through his head. "Family Obligations" sounded lame. He considered coming up with a fake charity event, but was afraid he'd get busted. Then he hit on it: he'd hint that he was unhappy with his contract, and just not show up for the mini-camps and the OTA's and all the accompanying workout crap. He picked up his phone, dialed his agent, said he felt underpaid, then put the phone down.

"Baby," he said. "Go get me another ice cube."

Life is good.

The Leaper
06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
His house was on MTV Cribs last year...that place is one hell of a nice pad. I wouldn't want to leave that place to go up for a couple glorified scrimmages either.

Of course, maybe that is why he needs a little more coin...that mortgage payment could be a bitch without his paychecks if he doesn't have it paid off yet. :shock:

woodbuck27
06-02-2006, 10:38 PM
The reports are clear. Al Harris will be in TC and ready to go, all businesss and into the film on his own OT as usual. Some of you may enjoy a knock on his lack of TO's but he gives errrrr every game and how many WR's best him? Not many ! The Leagues best WR's respect Al harris alot.

It's all in Al's best interests to be at TC and he'll be there to meet the bills but moreso to satisfy his own needs to be dedicated.

Contract extention beyond 2009 ? - NOPE. Raise ? Well get it on AL. See how you match up opposite Charles Woodson - get involved in the Community and don't do anything any different then we've seen since your arrival and you may be 'in fact blessed' with more of TT's money.

Oh ! Watch out for the whoamans, LOL.

Darn it Al Harris does play straight up hard bump and run and if he ran out of it (gas) after 12 games last season, how many besides DD and Tauscher didn't? There is alot of bleeding in a 4-12 Season.

Merlin
06-03-2006, 01:07 AM
I think Harris feels a little presure from the Woodson signing. Woodson will make what 10 mil this year? Harris I think is looking at the fact he is getting older and wants to make sure that he isn't a cap cut because his salary escalates so much in the last 3 years of the contract. I think he wants to know he will retire in Green Bay. The Packer's gave him a good contract a few years ago. I don't think he will be a distraction and I don't think he will kick and scream. I think he just wants some guarantees.

Rastak
06-03-2006, 07:29 AM
The reports are clear. Al Harris will be in TC and ready to go, all businesss and into the film on his own OT as usual. Some of you may enjoy a knock on his lack of TO's but he gives errrrr every game and how many WR's best him? Not many ! The Leagues best WR's respect Al harris alot.

It's all in Al's best interests to be at TC and he'll be there to meet the bills but moreso to satisfy his own needs to be dedicated.

Contract extention beyond 2009 ? - NOPE. Raise ? Well get it on AL. See how you match up opposite Charles Woodson - get involved in the Community and don't do anything any different then we've seen since your arrival and you may be 'in fact blessed' with more of TT's money.

Oh ! Watch out for the whoamans, LOL.

Darn it Al Harris does play straight up hard bump and run and if he ran out of it (gas) after 12 games last season, how many besides DD and Tauscher didn't? There is alot of bleeding in a 4-12 Season.

Hey, welcome back Woody.....

woodbuck27
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
"Hey, welcome back Woody....." Rastak

Hey you BIG Vikings Fan. Appreciate the greeting.

Tell me what you feel about your teams draft. Did it please you Rastak?

Scott Campbell
06-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Courtesy of our freinds at PFT:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/HarrisDummy.jpg

CB Al Harris finally makes an appearance at Packers OTAs.

Rastak
06-05-2006, 05:10 AM

Well, no it didn't exactly please me. Then again it's a little early to judge!

Scott, that's funny as hell......LOL....

MadtownPacker
06-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Thats cold sheeze SC! Haha, those PFT P.O.S's have it in for the Pack.

Rastak
06-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Thats cold sheeze SC! Haha, those PFT P.O.S's have it in for the Pack.

It's the Pack's turn, last year he ripped on the Vikes all year....that Harris pic is funny though.

woodbuck27
06-05-2006, 02:25 PM
woodbuck27 wrote:

" Well, no it didn't exactly please me. Then again it's a little early to judge! " Rastak

From what I've gleened, you fellas have made alot of off season moves to replace what you lost. You have made strides esp. on your OL and at LBer. Don't you agree?

The player discontent over the loss of Cullpepper, has to be handled with proper damage control. Brad Johnson certainly did a solid functional job at QB for you fellas and I have 'the Vikings' winning the NFCN, as it's been a tradition to see the Bears slip after a solid season.

The Pack and the Lions stroke it out for third this season.