PDA

View Full Version : A Noticable Trend at PR

Tarlam!
04-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I haven't been posting much of late and you'all might put that down to my new gal. In January, that was definitely true. But my month off and subsequent lurking has me noticing more hostility between posters and gangs forming. It has me so concerned that I'm all afraid t agree with anyone's thoughts! Or, heaven forbid, disagree!!

Maybe it's just the 'tween season blues. But, our forum is becoming less tolerent than maybe it should. I am am prolly equally guilty in many respects (past, I wasn't an Angel).

Anyhow, I just thought I'd mention it.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I haven't been posting much of late and you'all might put that down to my new gal. In January, that was definitely true. But my month off and subsequent lurking has me noticing more hostility between posters and gangs forming. It has me so concerned that I'm all afraid t agree with anyone's thoughts! Or, heaven forbid, disagree!!

Maybe it's just the 'tween season blues. But, our forum is becoming less tolerent than maybe it should. I am am prolly equally guilty in many respects (past, I wasn't an Angel).

Its just the woman in your life, everyone is doing just fine.

Gunakor
04-08-2008, 12:13 PM

It's the offseason, and the draft is coming up. Certain Packer fans are guaranteed to disagree with others on certain topics, but only because we are passionate about our team. I saw this on JSO as well. During the season there is always a game on Sunday/Monday/Thursday that will put to rest any arguements had during the previous week. During the offseason there really isn't new news that comes out very often, so fans dwell on certain topics longer than they normally would. I wouldn't read anything into this. Everybody is on the same team come August.

SkinBasket
04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't call it intolerance. I think everyone here tolerates a lot from people they don't agree with. It's not like Partial's telling me to leave the boards or I'm threatening to find him at Sears and throw cheap clothes at him. Even Harlan's taking his well deserved insults without whining about clicks and oppression.

The forum has a biorhythm just like everything else, and right now I think it's just going through one of those phases, much like the teen pregnancy thread period. A little wine and some Dixie Chicks should clear things up.

oregonpackfan
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
A little wine and some Dixie Chicks should clear things up.[/quote]

Wow, Skin Basket! You sure know how to have a wild time! :lol:

twoseven
04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I saw this on JSO as well. During the season there is always a game on Sunday/Monday/Thursday that will put to rest any arguements had during the previous week. During the offseason there really isn't new news that comes out very often, so fans dwell on certain topics longer than they normally would. I wouldn't read anything into this. Everybody is on the same team come August.
The ridiculous crap that went on at JSO when people had a disagreement is not even close to what could be construed as a running argument here. The banter that went back and forth there was some of the most intolerant and rude bullshit I've ever read on the net, and I spent several years there. This place is on a whole other level of common courtesy, a majority of the back and forth is very respectful, and the disagreements that do pop up are more akin to siblings having it out. JSO became a hole full of insults where every other post seemed below the belt, and where a lot of friendly free speech was often met with some stupid, rude comment. I haven't missed JSO since the day I left at the beginning of the year. This place is comfortbable and it feels safe, you can express yourself as if you were having a convo with the person next door, without some smartass snide comment comig at you from the board's resident prick(s). Hopefully it stays that way, and hopefully the immaturity that was at JSO doesn't find it's way here seeing as how there are quite a few people looking for new posting homes.

GoPackGo
04-08-2008, 12:55 PM

I can understand where you are coming from. However, I think the hostility you are seeing is just the checks and balances of the forum. We all have to be tolerant and politically correct in our lives but the forum gives us with a mischievous side an opportunity to call a spade a spade sometimes.

GoPackGo
04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I saw this on JSO as well. During the season there is always a game on Sunday/Monday/Thursday that will put to rest any arguements had during the previous week. During the offseason there really isn't new news that comes out very often, so fans dwell on certain topics longer than they normally would. I wouldn't read anything into this. Everybody is on the same team come August.
The ridiculous crap that went on at JSO when people had a disagreement is not even close to what could be construed as a running argument here. The banter that went back and forth there was some of the most intolerant and rude bullshit I've ever read on the net, and I spent several years there. This place is on a whole other level of common courtesy, a majority of the back and forth is very respectful, and the disagreements that do pop up are more akin to siblings having it out. JSO became a hole full of insults where every other post seemed below the belt, and where a lot of friendly free speech was often met with some stupid, rude comment. I haven't missed JSO since the day I left at the beginning of the year. This place is comfortbable and it feels safe, you can express yourself as if you were having a convo with the person next door, without some smartass snide comment comig at you from the board's resident prick(s). Hopefully it stays that way, and hopefully the immaturity that was at JSO doesn't find it's way here seeing as how there are quite a few people looking for new posting homes.

I agree twoseven. By the way I never said welcome to the forum. I enjoy reading your posts

sharpe1027
04-08-2008, 01:28 PM
It's the offseason, and the draft is coming up. Certain Packer fans are guaranteed to disagree with others on certain topics, but only because we are passionate about our team. I saw this on JSO as well. During the season there is always a game on Sunday/Monday/Thursday that will put to rest any arguements had during the previous week. During the offseason there really isn't new news that comes out very often, so fans dwell on certain topics longer than they normally would. I wouldn't read anything into this. Everybody is on the same team come August.

As an example, Gunakor and I had a rather lively discussion of Grant's contract situation (and over a fairly minor difference at that). I hope it was taken in the spirit it was meant, a hashing out of the rationale behind each of our positions. I think that for the most part (while we certainly were disagreeing) we were both carrying on an intelligent discussion.

Gunakor
04-08-2008, 01:35 PM

I've come to expect that anywhere I go. But that was limited to certain threads and certain posters. I don't recall it being as rampant as you describe, but I agree that certain arguements did become uncivil. Many of those threads had little if anything to do with football, which seems to be the biggest difference I've noticed between here and there.

All I was saying is that, with nothing of note happening recently, people have begun to dwell for way too long on topics that would have become old news very quickly during the season. Myself included. And the longer you let an arguement develop, the more emotionally charged it will become. Which seems to be a reasonable explaination as to why many arguements become so heated during the offseason, even on generally civil forums.

But I don't hold anything against any of the posters here simply because I disagree with them on a topic that both of us are very passionate about. The arguement wouldn't become heated in the first place if we both didn't want the very best for the team. Come August and September, when everyone is wearing the same colors and cheering the same team, everything will be okay.

red
04-08-2008, 01:36 PM
this has to be the dumbest god damn thread i've seen on here in a long time. and i've seen a lot of dumb ones with all the people around here that aren't as smart as me

don't we have mods?

can we start banning more people? i can come up with a list

:wink:

The Leaper
04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Stupid Europeans.

SkinBasket
04-08-2008, 01:38 PM
A little wine and some Dixie Chicks should clear things up.

I thought that's what most women did during their "special time" each month. My wife just beats me with a pointy stick, so I don't have much of a reference point.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Stop taking your wife's midol.

Gunakor
04-08-2008, 01:48 PM

As an example, Gunakor and I had a rather lively discussion of Grant's contract situation (and over a fairly minor difference at that). I hope it was taken in the spirit it was meant, a hashing out of the rationale behind each of our positions. I think that for the most part (while we certainly were disagreeing) we were both carrying on an intelligent discussion.

Exactly my point Sharpe. No hard feelings.

Tarlam!
04-08-2008, 02:52 PM
*kay, I got it.

KYPack
04-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Hell, Tar.

You were with us on the old JSO. Now THAT was a down and dirty internet fistfight.

This forum is cool, man.

There's just enuff conflict to keep in interesting.

Yer an Aussie, you can hack this, I'm sure.

Tarlam!
04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Hell, Tar.

()Yer an Aussie, you can hack this, I'm sure.

Oh, KY, I can... but can we all? I think we all know I can get pretty fuckin' ordinary - at least those that witnessed the Mad/Tar wars. I'm less concerned about me.

I'm 2 years older, a founding member here. # 10 IIRC.

JSO got fucked up due to seriously bad blood and a pretty decnt Hacker. The simple fact that we all left closed it down, as we knew it would. Wanna see it happen here?

Patler
04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
OK, I'll will step forward and agree with Tarlam. I don't think he was suggesting that it has become an awful place, just that it is a bit different, and with that I will agree. I have perceived it too.

It seems many threads become arguments rather than discussions. Not that they are drawn out nasty arguments, but arguments nevertheless. I have caught myself doing it, and am just as guilty as anyone. In the past we were better at discussing. Perhaps as we have gotten to know each other better, common courtesies have fallen by the wayside and we have become less polite. Maybe its just the season.

So long as we try to remember the topic a thread is for and address the new issues raised by each poster we can discuss better and learn from each other. If we keep bitterness felt in one thread from spilling over into another, and stop ourselves from the "Yes it is." "No it isn't!" "Yes, it IS!!" type arguments and remember to support our positions with analysis, we might even convince one another every now and then!

I still find this to be one of the best, most civil and most informative sports boards around. Lots of knowledgeable posters here.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hell, Tar.

()Yer an Aussie, you can hack this, I'm sure.

Oh, KY, I can... but can we all? I think we all know I can get pretty fuckin' ordinary - at least those that witnessed the Mad/Tar wars. I'm less concerned about me.

I'm 2 years older, a founding member here. # 10 IIRC.

JSO got fucked up due to seriously bad blood and a pretty decnt Hacker. The simple fact that we all left closed it down, as we knew it would. Wanna see it happen here?

Have you been drinking again?

Harlan Huckleby
04-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Bingo. :lol:

SkinBasket
04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I can get pretty fuckin' ordinary

I have that problem all the time. Well, most of the time, anyway.

twoseven
04-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I've come to expect that anywhere I go. But that was limited to certain threads and certain posters. I don't recall it being as rampant as you describe, but I agree that certain arguments did become uncivil. Many of those threads had little if anything to do with football, which seems to be the biggest difference I've noticed between here and there.
In the three short months that I have gotten to know the rest of the Rats I can say that you shouldn't expect it here, ever, and that's my point.

Posters don't need to have tough skin here, and don't need to have knee jerk reactions with attitude ready and waiting for those that disagree with them, or take things personal and strike up the name calling if someone quotes their post and doesn't share their opinion--something that definitely was normal practice at JSO. That kind of thing lent to the demise of JSO as much as anything, and it did go on every day of the year, and plenty of it was rude and obnoxious. Most of the worst behavior at JSO may have been limited to certain posters, but it only takes one or two dinks to ruin the mood for everyone, and those posters were usually chiming in on just about everything. Was there even one female that dared voice their opinion there on a regular basis? It reminded me of eigth grade insult contests in the lockerroom at times with somebody always needing to have the last word. Dudes at JSO that got into it verbally online were giving out their real personal addresses and inviting others over for a fistfight when we went down 14-0 to SEA last January. What was that?

I still say that PR is 180 degrees in the other direction from what went on at JSO. IMO, from what I have witnessed in my short time here, posters conduct themselves in a way like they are guests at someone's home (Mad's House, with several fine caretakers present). That's pretty special, and should be treated as such. Partial is constantly abused, but I think he likes it.

MJZiggy
04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
A little wine and some Dixie Chicks should clear things up.

I thought that's what most women did during their "special time" each month. My wife just beats me with a pointy stick, so I don't have much of a reference point.

No, pointy stick is about right 8-)

I see what people are saying, but unlike JSO, when things get a little rough, someone (and not necessarily a mod) speaks up. I recall being alarmed about this very same thing about a year or so ago...then again, once everyone is aware of it, it will be interesting to see if the level of civility goes up.

Guiness
04-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Geez Skinny - you've got it rough. I've been beaten with a stick, and poked with a pointy stick, but I shudder to think what a beating with a pointy stick would be like!

(I love mixed metaphors!)

Bretsky
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
There have been times when posters have PM'd me in the past and I've tried to encourage conversation to be a little more respectful and I've tried to help without offending others. It seems to be that things have been decent lately.

If you recall last year there was at times intense spatting between the TT lovers and the TT haters. I don't think the arguments are reaching near the levels of emotions that some of those spats reached.....and while not proud I was in the middle of some of them.

Overall if people are just respectful of others, as they usually are, and watch how they bring points accross things run very well.

I've also noticed some of the best JS posters have joined us at our site and I hope they stay. I dropped a few messages with invites to a few of the better JS posters over the past few months before the migration but I'm not going to try to destroy Sportsbubbler by spamming their posters with messages.

I browse several Packer sports forums and to be honest I still think this one is second to none when looking at the combo of quality and quantity.

vince
04-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I've also noticed some of the best JS posters have joined us at our site and I hope they stay. I dropped a few messages with invites to a few of the better JS posters over the past few months before the migration but I'm not going to try to destroy Sportsbubbler by spamming their posters with messages.

I browse several Packer sports forums and to be honest I still think this one is second to none when looking at the combo of quality and quantity.Agreed B. I'm in and out a lot around here, but when I have a chance to peruse the board, you and the other regular posters consistently bring the best Packer discussion around. I know I fling some shit at times (when it's thrown my way), but that's part of the fun sometimes. This place seems to police itself pretty well when it starts to get carried away.

And thanks for your fruitful recruiting efforts. There can never be too many good posters to add to the mix. Looks like the recent new crew will have a lot to offer. Welcome to all.

Partial
04-08-2008, 08:09 PM
I miss the old horny lesbo loving bretsky! These children and mod responsibilities have softened you!!! :lol:

falco
04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
the pace of the packers offseason means I really need some of the entertaining, chock full o conflict posts on this forum...

mmmdk
04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I browse several Packer sports forums and to be honest I still think this one is second to none when looking at the combo of quality and quantity.

I know I'm great but thanx anyway. Call me: 'the one'! 8-)

RashanGary
04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Ziggy, 007 and GBrulz have all posted less it seems. It's a big sausage party now.

I also think the Favre factor brought an edge here. There was always the philisophical discussion of should we sell it all to win with Favre or just make the best decision possible and let the good decisions stack on each other. Now that Favre is gone nobody cares to sell the farm today. It's just a wait and see and hope for the best. I always got frustrated by the short sightedness, but now I just miss the arguement. What's left but to call Partial a douche bag for his intolerance?

As much as I disagreed with the sell the farm approach, I think it made things interesting to always have that disagreement to fall back on when all else was boring. Now there is nothing new, nothing to disagree on. Please come back Favre, you make Packer fans rabid and interesting.

mmmdk
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Ziggy, 007 and GBrulz have all posted less it seems. It's a big sausage party now.

I also think the Favre factor brought an edge here. There was always the philisophical discussion of should we sell it all to win with Favre or just make the best decision possible and let the good decisions stack on each other. Now that Favre is gone nobody cares to sell the farm today. It's just a wait and see and hope for the best. I always got frustrated by the short sightedness, but now I just miss the arguement. What's left but to call Partial a douche bag for his intolerance?

As much as I disagreed with the sell the farm approach, I think it made things interesting to always have that disagreement to fall back on when all else was boring. Now there is nothing new, nothing to disagree on. Please come back Favre, you make Packer fans rabid and interesting.

I can be rabid sans Favre... :D

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
What's left but to call Partial a douche bag for his intolerance?

Call JH a douche bag?
:D

falco
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
What's left but to call Partial a douche bag for his intolerance?

Call JH a douche bag?
:D

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes

MadtownPacker
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Bingo. :lol:A woulda guessed that at first but I think this pic might explain it better.

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/i/u/yScdc5gS.jpg

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Ziggy, 007 and GBrulz have all posted less it seems.

You miss our little "spats", don't you JH? :P :wink:

Work, track and baseball practice...I don't even get home till 8 most nights.

Tarlam!
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM

You mean, some people actually stop drinking? :shock: :shock: :shock:

As usual, Patler nailedit. I wish I could've expressed it that way. It seems there are more personal attacks.

BTW Mad, nice pic, must be like looking in a mirror 4 you, huh?

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Outside of everybody piling on Partial, I think it's milder than last year. I miss everybody piling on Partial AND JH.

Harlan did bring the stink factor back. He's a protagonist (and contrarian).

The Romper Room is getting stale because it's gotten overly political. It was more fun when it was more jokes and lighter stuff about what's going on in people's lives. Maybe that's why it seems the forum has gotten "meaner".

MadtownPacker
04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
BTW Mad, nice pic, must be like looking in a mirror 4 you, huh?

No, this is how it is when I look in the mirror.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/tough.jpg

Joemailman
04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I think people who complain about a lack of civility here are assholes and should just leave.

gex
04-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Is this the romper room? :wink:

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Harlan did bring the stink factor back. He's a protagonist (and contrarian).

Or perhaps an antagonist and a proletarian? :lol:

GBRulz
04-09-2008, 08:22 AM

Little smokies is more like it :lol: :twisted:

But I've been busy, plus not much going on around here if you aren't into discussing politics or the draft.

Harlan Huckleby
04-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Harlan did bring the stink factor back. He's a protagonist (and contrarian)".

You know a "protagonist" is the hero of a novel or drama, right? :lol:

The Romper Room is getting stale because it's gotten overly political.

The political threads are obviously labeled. You don't have to read them if you aren't interested.

What a jerk you continue to be, condemning people for being outside your narrow world view. Gee, it would be great fun to meet you!

Zool
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Harlan likes to get all dressed up for his "high brow" humor. Here's a sample.

http://www.viceland.com/int/dd.php?id=716

Harlan Huckleby
04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
another cracker for christ. drub out the infidels!

Bretsky
04-09-2008, 06:31 PM

WELL MAYBE IF TT WOULD HAVE CAME OUT OF HIS SHELL, GREW SOME STONES, AND SIGNED A LEGIT STARTING GUARD WE'D HAVE WON THE SUPER BOWL LAST YEAR !!!

J/K................anyways, I miss some of the old times arguments also.

Favre hanging the laces up have quieted the "win now" group......(I used to be there) and minimized our expectations for the near term.

Gunakor
04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I've come to expect that anywhere I go. But that was limited to certain threads and certain posters. I don't recall it being as rampant as you describe, but I agree that certain arguments did become uncivil. Many of those threads had little if anything to do with football, which seems to be the biggest difference I've noticed between here and there.
In the three short months that I have gotten to know the rest of the Rats I can say that you shouldn't expect it here, ever, and that's my point.

Posters don't need to have tough skin here, and don't need to have knee jerk reactions with attitude ready and waiting for those that disagree with them, or take things personal and strike up the name calling if someone quotes their post and doesn't share their opinion--something that definitely was normal practice at JSO. That kind of thing lent to the demise of JSO as much as anything, and it did go on every day of the year, and plenty of it was rude and obnoxious. Most of the worst behavior at JSO may have been limited to certain posters, but it only takes one or two dinks to ruin the mood for everyone, and those posters were usually chiming in on just about everything. Was there even one female that dared voice their opinion there on a regular basis? It reminded me of eigth grade insult contests in the lockerroom at times with somebody always needing to have the last word. Dudes at JSO that got into it verbally online were giving out their real personal addresses and inviting others over for a fistfight when we went down 14-0 to SEA last January. What was that?

I still say that PR is 180 degrees in the other direction from what went on at JSO. IMO, from what I have witnessed in my short time here, posters conduct themselves in a way like they are guests at someone's home (Mad's House, with several fine caretakers present). That's pretty special, and should be treated as such. Partial is constantly abused, but I think he likes it.

ROFL I remember that gameday thread. I was one of the people that he was giving that address to. You might have missed it but later on in the thread he apologized to anyone he might have offended and offered to buy a beer for them should they find thier way up to the North Woods. I believe most of the posters at JSO are generally good people. But good people say dumb things sometimes during a highly excitable event. I just chalked that one up to anxiety and had forgotten about it by the end of the game.

Though I can't and won't speak for everyone who viewed that thread, I personally didn't take any offense. I never do take offense from anything on a gameday thread. People are usually drinking and are completely wrapped up in the emotion and excitment of the game. They will naturally start talking out of thier you know what when things go sour. It's happened at every tavern and on every forum I've ever visited (I have yet to take part in a gameday thread here at PR). Take away the personal information given out in that thread and it was just the regular banter I'd hear anywhere else I'd go to watch a game. That's what I mean when I say I've come to expect it - especially on gameday.