PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating life instead of fearing death

oregonpackfan
04-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Please activate the video of college professor Randy Pausch. In his 40's, he has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and has just months to live.

In his "Last Lecture" he talks about the primary values in celebrating the gift of life rather than fear impending death.

The man demonstrates an incredible amount of courage.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8577255250907450469

Bretsky
04-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Please activate the video of college professor Randy Pausch. In his 40's, he has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and has just months to live.

In his "Last Lecture" he talks about the primary values in celebrating the gift of life rather than fear impending death.

The man demonstrates an incredible amount of courage.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8577255250907450469

Good stuff; Jimmy Valvano gave a great speech a while back as well. If I was ambitious I would go find and and post it also

packinpatland
04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I read about him in this past Sunday's paper..........what an amazing man.
Thanks for posting this OPF.

MJZiggy
04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow. The full lecture was spectacular. Its not often that I feel compelled to take notes while messing on the internet...

SkinBasket
04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
We have a close family member nearing death. The only thing I fear is explaining to my son why a person who he likes will no longer be here as it'll be his first. I'm fucked.

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 09:55 PM
We have a close family member nearing death. The only thing I fear is explaining to my son why a person who he likes will no longer be here as it'll be his first. I'm fucked.

He's pretty young, isn't he skin? One very good resource I took advantage of when my Dad was in his last weeks was the counselor available from Hospice. The kids wanted me in on the discussion and this woman did a wonderful job! I'm very glad we did that. If nothing else, give them a call and ask how to handle it with your son at his age. That organization is amazing.

Jimx29
04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Do yourself a favor and go here and watch the whole 1 hour, 16 minute lecture w/o having to watch that attention whore oprah act like she's the reason the video is so powerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

MJZiggy
04-08-2008, 10:04 PM
There's a link to the full lecture with the introductions and the full program after in the link OPF posted as well. 1:44

oregonpackfan
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Skin Basket,

There are some centers that help parents with explaining death to kids and dealing with grieving.

Portland has a place called The Dougy Center which helps kids deal with grieving, etc. Perhaps they have a website.

You could also Google something like "Kids and grieving" or "Kids dealing with death."

Jimx29
04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Tomorrow night (4-9) @ 9:00 pm Central, Diane Sawyer has a special 1 hour interview with him 9 months after the lecture on ABC TV

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LastLecture/

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I hate death.

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I hate death.

Tell me about it. In the last 2 years I lost 3 family members and 2 co-workers (management) who I worked closely with for many years. It really starts to play games with your head. Time to start taking more vacation and not sweating the small stuff.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I wasn't talking about other people's death, I mean mine, it is gonna suck.

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 11:21 PM

LOL believe me, the people you leave behind will suffer more than you.

Scott Campbell
04-09-2008, 12:05 AM

.....but the flowers will be lovely. I'll tell you all about it in the hereafter.

the_idle_threat
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Do yourself a favor and go here and watch the whole 1 hour, 16 minute lecture w/o having to watch that attention whore oprah act like she's the reason the video is so powerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

That's an outstanding video.

Well worth the time it takes to watch the whole thing.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2008, 12:47 PM

LOL believe me, the people you leave behind will suffer more than you.

True, but then again that is really not my problem, I wish it could be but like I said I am dead. I would rather not suffer a death like this fellas because then you see all the people you care about suffer and that sucks, so its a tough call do you remain a live as long as possible so you can spend every minute with your loved ones, or do you put a Federal Supreme through your head?

Yikes, way too much to think about, makes me sad. I guess it is easier watching others die, than it would be to be the one dying.

Jimx29
07-25-2008, 11:57 AM
'Last Lecture' professor dies at 47

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/07/25/obit.pausch.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
death is a piece of cake. it's life that's a struggle.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for a while
If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
Keep me in your heart for a while

HowardRoark
07-25-2008, 04:34 PM
The strange thing is that when you are about to die, your body has some kind of defense mechanism that kicks in…..it is actually somewhat peaceful. Everybody knows they will die someday, but it is buried somewhere real deep (where it should be)…..that knowledge comes rushing to the center of your existence when your time comes, so it is not shocking or frightening, merely acknowledging what we all know. Really quick though. But there is peace.

The problem is living after unearthing the reality that you will die. And it could be at ANYTIME, that’s a struggle.

But, as I have found, all cliches are true. When dying you do think the most about those you will leave behind, and especially those who need you. So for what it’s worth, don’t waste the days that you are alive….especially with those who will miss you the most.

MJZiggy
07-25-2008, 06:41 PM
"Stop all the clocks; cut off the telephone
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

"Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message 'He is Dead'
Put crepe bows around the white necks of public doves
Let the policemen wear black cotton gloves.

"He was my North my South, my East and my West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought love would last forever: I was wrong.

"The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood
For nothing now can ever come to any good."

Auden