PDA

View Full Version : Favre possibly coming back?

RashanGary
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
FOX 11 OF GREENBAY REPORTS

Favre was talking to a member of the Biloxi Sun or whatever that paper is called. He was asked if an injury happed mid season if he'd consider coming back for a possible run. He said he doesn't know, if that came up and they called that he might be enticed to come back.

b bulldog
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Nick, old news :lol:

DonHutson
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Sheephead, do your duty.

:wink:

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Sheephead, do your duty.

:wink:

Is he the double post police? :D

Bretsky
04-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I listened to an interview with Pete Dougherty, think his name is. I think he's a bit bland as a writer but he covers the Packers for the Packer Report or something.

He gave his inside take on Favre.

His attitude was along the process MM communicated with Favre and wanted to make sure Favre was 100% committed before making his call. It was his view that there was no ego massaging, no please come back's, and no we need you from MM or TT. Their public tone was we hope he comes back but in private they were fully fine with moving on either way.

He felt TT and MM were high enough on AROD that they were ready for the new era to begin if Favre was not 100% positive he wanted to returning.

Oh, and it might have helped that Favre's play last year helped them both get nice nice rich extensions (my commentary)

Cheers,
B

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh, and it might have helped that Favre's play last year helped them both get nice nice rich extensions (my commentary)

So, Favre's play was solely responsible for that? Not because McCarthy was the first coach since Holmgren to coach Favre up? Not because the defense and special teams were top 10, the WRs corps was top 5, Donald Lee paid them for trusting the starting position to him, and Ryan Grant was mint? Not because an aging roster with little depth was transformed to a young team with a lot of young talent in two years?

Bretsky
04-08-2008, 11:05 PM

So, Favre's play was solely responsible for that? Not because McCarthy was the first coach since Holmgren to coach Favre up? Not because the defense and special teams were top 10, the WRs corps was top 5, Donald Lee paid them for trusting the starting position to him, and Ryan Grant was mint? Not because an aging roster with little depth was transformed to a young team with a lot of young talent in two years?

Does the word "helped" mean "solely responsible" ?? Are you getting more sensitive in your old age ? :lol:

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Does the word "helped" mean "solely responsible" ?? Are you getting more sensitive in your old age ? :lol:

Male PMS? :P

Bretsky
04-08-2008, 11:11 PM

I've had that lately; work too stressful, sleep in minimal, and head cold doesn't let me sleep well anyways

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 11:25 PM

I've had that lately; work too stressful, sleep in minimal, and head cold doesn't let me sleep well anyways

...follow the light.....go to the room of the Holy Grail. :P

Joemailman
04-08-2008, 11:29 PM

...and there 007 will be waiting for you.

GrnBay007
04-08-2008, 11:30 PM

...and there 007 will be waiting for you.

NO, NO......007 doesn't go to the grail room!!!! eek!!

vince
04-09-2008, 05:27 AM
I listened to an interview with Pete Dougherty... He gave his inside take on Favre...

His attitude was along the process MM communicated with Favre and wanted to make sure Favre was 100% committed before making his call. It was his view that there was no ego massaging, no please come back's, and no we need you from MM or TT. Their public tone was we hope he comes back but in private they were fully fine with moving on either way.

He felt TT and MM were high enough on AROD that they were ready for the new era to begin if Favre was not 100% positive he wanted to returning.
I think this is an accurate assessment by Dougherty, and Favre's emotional responses to the media reinforce that MM and TT took the exactly correct approach.

Brett Favre is a big boy with a ton of experience. He understands his value to the team without having to be begged to return by management. He also clearly understands the importance of hard work throughout the offseason, particularly for an aging player - even though he impetuously (and predictably) says that returning without doing the required offseason work would be "tempting."

If Brett were to have returned, he would have owed it to his legacy, the Green Bay Packers, and we fans (who have given him the financial capacity to provide for his family and his heirs for generations to come) to get himself prepared to play at the top of his game. The Green Bay Packers owe it to the team and to the fans to demand that of each and every player, particularly their highest paid players. That's understandably much more difficult to do at 39 than 29, but that doesn't change the fact that it must be demanded.

A personal decision about retiring, which few players get the luxury of making, deserves to be made rationally and objectively. Having the team apply emotional pressure to persuade him to hang on for its own self-interest and/or making special concessions for one player would be unprofessional and compromising to the integrity of the team.

I certainly hope he doesn't make the mistake of returning at the age of 39 after ridng a tractor all offseason, but I don't think that'd be much of a risk knowing the leadership we have with this team.

woodbuck27
04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I listened to an interview with Pete Dougherty... He gave his inside take on Favre...

I think this is an accurate assessment by Dougherty, and Favre's emotional responses to the media reinforce that MM and TT took the exactly correct approach.

Brett Favre is a big boy with a ton of experience. He understands his value to the team without having to be begged to return by management. He also clearly understands the importance of hard work throughout the offseason, particularly for an aging player - even though he impetuously (and predictably) says that returning without doing the required offseason work would be "tempting."

If Brett were to have returned, he would have owed it to his legacy, the Green Bay Packers, and we fans (who have given him the financial capacity to provide for his family and his heirs for generations to come) to get himself prepared to play at the top of his game. The Green Bay Packers owe it to the team and to the fans to demand that of each and every player, particularly their highest paid players. That's understandably much more difficult to do at 39 than 29, but that doesn't change the fact that it must be demanded.

A personal decision about retiring, which few players get the luxury of making, deserves to be made rationally and objectively. Having the team apply emotional pressure to persuade him to hang on for its own self-interest and/or making special concessions for one player would be unprofessional and compromising to the integrity of the team.

I certainly hope he doesn't make the mistake of returning at the age of 39 after ridng a tractor all offseason, but I don't think that'd be much of a risk knowing the leadership we have with this team.

Yes it's done. FAVRE is retired and will remain retired.

Favre of all people realizes the sense all in that now. Final and RETIREMENT.

Packers Forever.

The Shadow
04-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Please let it go.

oregonpackfan
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
When I read and listen to speculation about Favre returning it disappoints me for several reasons.

First, I think a number of Packer fans simply refuse to accept the concept of Favre's retirement. We have been spoiled by having the same future Hall of Fame quarterback for the past 16 years. It is just time for him to move on.

For Favre's sake, I am glad he chose to retire when he did. At age 38, his last year was one of the most productive seasons he had in his career. Most Packer fans, including me, thought in August of 2007 that this team just had the potential to produce a .500 winning season. They surprised us with a remarkable 13-3 regular season! Though football is certainly a team effort, much of the Packers' success on offense has to be attributed to Favre's fine play.

What is sad for some aging stars is that their skills decline but they refuse to accept it and try to play beyond their years. Both Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana were examples of stars who tried playing for other teams in a vain and futile attempt to resurrect their careers.

A few aging stars play too long and have their career end with a serious injury. Joe Theisman had a horrific broken leg on national TV which ended a career he tried to prolong. With a highly serious concussion he received last season, Trent Green probably should retire. But at age 35 he is trying to hook up with another team.

I am glad for Favre that he had a very successful season last year. I am also relieved for him that he did not suffer a serious injury like an ACL tear or a broken limb. I just hope he is not "persuaded" by coaches and/or fans to come back when he needs to retire with dignity.

Packnut
04-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Harv, I see what your saying but I believe it works both ways does'nt it? A huge part of our WR play was YAC and you have to give #4 the credit for that. He hit those guys in stride more times than I can ever remember ANY QB ever doing. The Detroit game was a prime example. Those 2 td passes in the Denver game were point blank precision throws.

Once you make the D worry about the WR's, it does open things up for the TE.

With the improved play of the offense, our D was'nt on the field as much. Also, we were leading a great majority of the time which also made things easier for the D.

Favre had an oustanding season and without him, all the things you cited DO NOT HAPPEN to the degree that it did. But, as they say the "proof is in the pudding". We'll see how this plays out with A-Rod..............