PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY TRAILS TO GENE UPSHAW SOON ??????????

Bretsky
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3336017&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Bretsky
04-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Interesing takes

First off, I do agree with many that Upshaw has crapped all over the retired players with medical needs. Not nearly enough is done for them.

Not to break down current players situation, clearly they are looking at how

1. Basketball and Baseball is filled with guaranteed contracts while football remains the most popular sport. In football, the signing bonuses become more important; if a player starts underperforming you just cut him....often the case as they are again.

2. Longevity is less, so that will make guaranteed contracts more valuable

3. While the salary cap is healthy, it surely is not baseball.......although their season lasts just as long.

I DON'T THINK THE PLAYERS THINK UPSAHW HAS WENT TO BAT FOR THEM ENOUGH

The Leaper
04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Personally, I think this is a really bad sign for the future of the NFL.

The owners aren't happy with the status quo...and apparently the players aren't either.

I'm guessing both sides will find a way to toss the success that people before them put together right into the crapper. There is going to be a major work stoppage in the future IMO.

BlueBrewer
04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Upshaw may be good at his job but he is a first class jackass in my opinion. He has the people skills of Packman Jones and the authority of a Senator. Dangerous combination.

SkinBasket
04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I don't buy that Upshaw has failed the retired players. He's simply become the goat for decades of players and their leadership ignoring them. Suddenly there's an outcry for medical assistance and all these players who didn't give a damned before turn to Upshaw and blame him. And of course there's the matter of players caring soooooo much for retired players' medical needs - as long as it doesn't cost them anything.

cheesner
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't buy that Upshaw has failed the retired players. He's simply become the goat for decades of players and their leadership ignoring them. Suddenly there's an outcry for medical assistance and all these players who didn't give a damned before turn to Upshaw and blame him. And of course there's the matter of players caring soooooo much for retired players' medical needs - as long as it doesn't cost them anything.Agreed. The retired NFL players should not expect or demand upgraded services from what they originally agreed to. It is ridiculous to expect that.

Upshaw is so under-appreciated it isn't funny. The players see him as being a pawn of the NFL, he is not, he is a visionary. By working with the NFL and setting up a mutually beneficial system, the NFL has enjoyed tremendous success. By making all teams competitive, the NFL is much bigger than any other sport, which has brought in much more revenue, which in turn has skyrocketed salaries. Had the players gone after more money and no salary cap in the early 80s, I bet you the result today would actually be much smaller salaries right now.

SkinBasket
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
The retired NFL players should not expect or demand upgraded services from what they originally agreed to. It is ridiculous to expect that.

I don't think it's ridiculous to expect better benefits as the league has become more and more of a cash cow. I do expect, however, that players would realize they are where they are financially due in part to the players who came before them, and that they will one day (soon for a large number of them) be a retired player. As such, I would think they would be interested in paying some of their own benefits for this cause instead of demanding large raises in the cap every year and expecting the league to cover all their benefits after retirement.

cpk1994
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't buy that Upshaw has failed the retired players. He's simply become the goat for decades of players and their leadership ignoring them. Suddenly there's an outcry for medical assistance and all these players who didn't give a damned before turn to Upshaw and blame him. And of course there's the matter of players caring soooooo much for retired players' medical needs - as long as it doesn't cost them anything.This hasn't been a sudden outcry. This has been going on for years and Upshaw has repeatedly ignored, belittled, and almost outright called those players greedy. Upshaw is not the goat, he is the problem. If you listen to Mike Ditka, you know what I am talking about.

Guiness
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
The retired NFL players should not expect or demand upgraded services from what they originally agreed to. It is ridiculous to expect that.

I don't think it's ridiculous to expect better benefits as the league has become more and more of a cash cow. I do expect, however, that players would realize they are where they are financially due in part to the players who came before them, and that they will one day (soon for a large number of them) be a retired player. As such, I would think they would be interested in paying some of their own benefits for this cause instead of demanding large raises in the cap every year and expecting the league to cover all their benefits after retirement.

This doesn't work...the current crop of players, unless they're absolute morons, won't have to worry about pension from teh league. It doesn't take much to set yourself up for life when you're making $1million/yr.

I guess I don't get why the PA hasn't taken care of things...with salaries where they are, if tehy put it to a vote and put a 1% tax on the players (I'm sure they could get the league to match) for 1 season, it would take care of things!!!!!

I know everyone things players are so self-centered and stuff, but would any of them actually say no to something like that? I dunno, maybe I'm missing obvious that would prevent it...

cheesner
04-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't buy that Upshaw has failed the retired players. He's simply become the goat for decades of players and their leadership ignoring them. Suddenly there's an outcry for medical assistance and all these players who didn't give a damned before turn to Upshaw and blame him. And of course there's the matter of players caring soooooo much for retired players' medical needs - as long as it doesn't cost them anything.This hasn't been a sudden outcry. This has been going on for years and Upshaw has repeatedly ignored, belittled, and almost outright called those players greedy. Upshaw is not the goat, he is the problem. If you listen to Mike Ditka, you know what I am talking about.
I had lunch with Mike awhile ago - I know how he feels. He is a great guy, but perhaps not the most cerebral guy.

To me this is like your ex-wife coming back after you get a much higher paying job and demanding more money. The ex-players can ask - that is fine. But for them to demand and expect additional services, they are off base. And it is not just Upshaw, but these things are voted on by all the players. So, just don't hang this all on Gene.

Kiwon
04-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Upshaw may be good at his job but he is a first class jackass in my opinion. He has the people skills of Packman Jones and the authority of a Senator. Dangerous combination.

Agreed. It's definitely time for new leadership.

Bretsky
04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't buy that Upshaw has failed the retired players. He's simply become the goat for decades of players and their leadership ignoring them. Suddenly there's an outcry for medical assistance and all these players who didn't give a damned before turn to Upshaw and blame him. And of course there's the matter of players caring soooooo much for retired players' medical needs - as long as it doesn't cost them anything.Agreed. The retired NFL players should not expect or demand upgraded services from what they originally agreed to. It is ridiculous to expect that.

Upshaw is so under-appreciated it isn't funny. The players see him as being a pawn of the NFL, he is not, he is a visionary. By working with the NFL and setting up a mutually beneficial system, the NFL has enjoyed tremendous success. By making all teams competitive, the NFL is much bigger than any other sport, which has brought in much more revenue, which in turn has skyrocketed salaries. Had the players gone after more money and no salary cap in the early 80s, I bet you the result today would actually be much smaller salaries right now.

Back when the league was not as financially strong the means to help retired players was much less. Many of these players laid the foundation for an incredibly strong and rich base. There has been no suddenness to former players being in trouble and asking for help. Upshaw has been part of this problem.

His ability to work with the ownership, has, however, IMO allowed the league to reach new levels of success. The players, on the other hand, look at other major sports like baseball and basketball and the contracts and wonder why Upshaw cannot fight for the same; it's a valid consideration

KYPack
04-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Well Chesner (Did you really have lunch w/Ditka, cool!) & Skin, buckle yer chinstraps. I disagree with both of ya, 100%. Because your posts are really fulla shit. These old time guys need help. These men gave it their all, sacrificed their bodies and now need aid. Yeah, they got what they signed on for, but the money model has radically increased and the league needs to support these guys. Many of them need medical and financial help. There league could do this out of their loose change fund. The NFL is the most successful financial sports enterprise on the planet. We are only talking a few hundred players here. They need to increase the pensions for some of these ex-players and establish a comprehensive plan to help them medically. This could be done very easily.

Instead, the NFL has done it’s damndest to screw the former players at every turn. They have established a half-assed medical review team to deny as many physical claims as they possibly can.

The other way the NFL has beat the old-timers is by negotiating favorable terms for themselves by co-ercing retirees into taking smaller pensions. Herb Adderley (HOFer and key player on the Lombardi Packers) was convinced to take his pension early. He foolishly took the pension early (age 50) and now collects a whopping 172 per month. The NFL people purposely did this kind of negotiation to save the league pennies. Herb was beyond stupid to take his pension in that manner, but the NFL needs to rectify the unfair situation. The league should take care of these pioneers, not try to actively screw ‘em.

One of the main stumbling blocks to getting the old players straightened out is that asshole, Gene Upshaw. Upshaw is bright & all. He knows his bread is buttered by catering to current players only. And that’s just what he does. He refuses to deal with ex-players at all. If you don’t believe me, talk to Troy Vincent. Upshaw could help the retired players, but he uses his abuse of the situation as a marketing and political tool. His message to the current players (they vote for him, after all) is “screw the old-timers, I’m getting you guys the money”... There is an issue of human kindness here, which Upshaw arrogantly flaunts every chance he gets to build his support with his player voting base. He’s smart, but a first class jerk-off.

He’s also a prick. He’s is trying to get the NFLPA retirement clause waived. It seems ‘old Gene doesn’t want to retire at age ’65, like NFLPA rules say. No, Gene wants to keep working at his gig and collect a full check when he hits ’65. This, after fucking retired players out of pennies for years in his present job? How does he shave in the morning? This might just be the definition of the word hypocrite.

SkinBasket
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
KY, I don't disagree that the retired players need, and deserve help. I think I've made that clear.

I disagree with the idea that the current players think this has nothing to do with them and that it's solely a league problem to be paid for by the league. They recently managed incredible yearly increases in the salary cap. Where was their concern for setting aside the terribly small portion of that money that could have addressed this issue? Hell, if you took the average amount teams aren't spending yearly under the cap that the players worked so hard to bump up, it would be more than enough money.

Upshaw's job is to represent the current players - the members of his union. As you point out, he does what they want and they vote for him. If the players wanted to help the retirees, he would represent that. But they don't. They want to make as much money as possible and demonize the league for not doing something they should have negotiated in their CBA. Upshaw's main failure I see is that he hasn't convinced the current players that they will be retired players and that taking care of retired players is taking care of themselves.

As far as the suddenness of this issue, I was referring to the media coverage, which has picked up in the last 2-3 years due to guys like Ditka stumping the country, not the medical need of the players.

Everyone here has pointed out that this has been as issue for decades. I'm just wondering why Upshaw is suddenly the demon and an incompetent asshole for maintaining the status quo. I'm guessing from some of the posts here that it's because he's unlikable. Just remember, he makes his money representing his union - the will of the current players, not being likable.

The Leaper
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Upshaw's job is to represent the current players - the members of his union. As you point out, he does what they want and they vote for him. If the players wanted to help the retirees, he would represent that. But they don't. They want to make as much money as possible and demonize the league for not doing something they should have negotiated in their CBA. Upshaw's main failure I see is that he hasn't convinced the current players that they will be retired players and that taking care of retired players is taking care of themselves.

I agree with Skin 100%.

Upshaw does not work for former players. He works for the current group of players. He does what they tell him to do.

It is the current group of players that should be setting aside a small percentage of their enormous salaries to pay for the guys who paved the way for them. They are the greedy, self-absorbed ones who ignore the past greats IMO...not Upshaw.

KYPack
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
As all can see, I get pretty lit up over this issue. Upshaw is merely doing his job. He is put in position to be the bad guy by the NFL and he does that role real well.

The NFL, the NFLPA, & retired players need to work together to resolve this issue. There is funding all over the map to address the problem. The ex-players have done the best job of attempting to put things in place. The real bad guy is the NFL, they've repeatedly turned their backs on the retired players.

PR is the key. The rotten job the NFL has done in helping retired players needs to be explained to the public. Another problem is the fan perception that these guys all played for millions, then squandered it away. Guys that played in the 50's, 60's, and seventies (& early 80's) got paid in paychecks. That small money is long gone. The NFL had easily the worst of major sports pension plans in those days.

The NFL needs to rectify their underfunding of the early retirement plans. Any player who retires under the post '87 plan should be in good shape. There are a finite group of ex-players who are truly hurting and need assistance. Help 'em out and put this sordid little episode behind the league.

Take Upshaw out of the loop and get a real program funded, help the old guys and git 'er done!