PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers

b bulldog
04-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Once again, Brett is at it again with the media. Brett put a great deal of pressure on Rodgers by claiming he is walking into a great situation and now he has probably made at least half of all Packers fans hope that Rodgers gets hurt so Brett would be asked to come back. Isn't this the same great situation that made Brett walk away because of all the pressure, and if so, don't you think the pressure will be much greater on Rodgers than it was on Favre?? Look, I wish Brett would have come back for one more year but he walked away from the Packers, Rodgers is now our QB and Brett should either publicly state he is coming back or keep these comments to himself because this is doing nobody any good. Just think if you were in Rodgers shoes and how you would feel about all of this? Maybe we'll lose another QB because of the pressure.

Bretsky
04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes, I kind of agree. Leave AROD live in peace.

Favre should have come back; no need to tease us all now that he's off mowing the dam lawn.

As a sidenote, the media can stop playing this story over and over and over

Lurker64
04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
If Rodgers isn't as much Caveman-Jesus-Surfer Boy as he looks, he'll be in trouble if Favre continues to not go quietly.

packrulz
04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I really don't think ARod is that insecure, as a matter of fact, I think he's pretty confident. I don't think it'll affect ARod at all. As a matter of fact, if TT drafts a QB I don't think he'll be looking over his shoulder either, he'll just work hard and do his job, he learned from the best.

Freak Out
04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I really don't think ARod is that insecure, as a matter of fact, I think he's pretty confident. I don't think it'll affect ARod at all. As a matter of fact, if TT drafts a QB I don't think he'll be looking over his shoulder either, he'll just work hard and do his job, he learned from the best.

Until Rogers proves otherwise he is the Man and he knows it. He is confident and ready to start for the NFC North Champions.

DonHutson
04-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not worried about Rodgers looking over his shoulder. I'm worried about the rest of the team looking longingly at Favre's empty locker when they go into halftime after a Rodgers INT.

Rodgers was already in a tough spot, but if some of the other players are as juiced up about Favre's comments as some of the people in here are then he needs to be perfect right of the bat.

I seem to recall a good line about a windshield and a rear view mirror. Who said that again?

:roll:

BallHawk
04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Agree 100% with Bulldog.

It was great, Brett, but you hanged 'em up. Don't give the media stories like these.

RashanGary
04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Favre is one of three things:

Very stupid
Very selfish
Both

Kiwon
04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
No more interviews, Brett, please. Silence is golden.

A-Rod needs to begin his career with no one over his shoulder or someone waiting in the wings.

The problem I have with Farve's recent comment is that if he's willing to step in if A-Rod goes down with an injury then logically why shouldn't he be willing to step in if A-Rod plays terrible and a playoff-caliber team loses 5 games in a row?

It's A-Rod's team now and as much as everyone loves Farve he needs to make a clean break with the team in regards to public comments. I doubt that will happen, but that would surely be my advice to him.

Kiwon
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Very stupid
Very selfish
Both

Come on, man. That's over the top, isn't it?

Gunakor
04-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm not worried about Rodgers looking over his shoulder. I'm worried about the rest of the team looking longingly at Favre's empty locker when they go into halftime after a Rodgers INT.

Rodgers was already in a tough spot, but if some of the other players are as juiced up about Favre's comments as some of the people in here are then he needs to be perfect right of the bat.

I seem to recall a good line about a windshield and a rear view mirror. Who said that again?

:roll:

The part about Favre's locker I agree with. They need to do something with that locker that won't give anyone who walks by a feeling of loss or regret. But on the field, these players have to remind themselves that THEY were just as responsible for 13-3 and an NFC Championship game as Favre was. The WR's need to remember that they led the league in YAC, which they could do again with Rodgers if they work as hard for him as they did for Favre. The O-Line needs to remember that they were opening up gaping holes in the run game late last season - even after Green Bay had established a respectable running game - and that thier new QB is alot more mobile than thier last one (who was only sacked a handful of times anyway). The backs need to remember that they established themselves as a formidable group last season too. The team is still there. If everyone can convince themselves of that, and isn't worrying about who our QB/backup QB/emergency QB is, I think we'll be fine.

texaspackerbacker
04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I said it back in the retire or not days, and I'll say it again now, blame the damn media people asking the stupid questions, not Favre--whose only crime is answering them honestly. If the answer is "maybe" or "I don't know", how can you expect the man to give a clear yes or no? And if he ever said no to an interview, he'd probably be villified by the media for farting them off.

As for Rodgers, I really don't think he gives two hoots about this, maybe doesn't even know about the Favre comments--unless some other media dipshit goes and stirs the pot by bringing it up to him.

RashanGary
04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0RfdL2Vm2j8

Picture Brett Favre's name on this video.

Guiness
04-10-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm sure Rodgers has the confidence he needs and so on, but there's no way you can say he isn't feeling the pressure. Replacing Brett has to be the most high profile job in the NFL this coming season - he'll be in a virtual fishbowl.

I loved Brett, and his attitude, and plain spokedness through the years, but right now he sure would be nice if he'd do what is best for the team, and answer all queries with a 'no comment' response.

HarveyWallbangers
04-10-2008, 08:24 PM

Very stupid
Very selfish
Both

Come on, man. That's over the top, isn't it?

Not for him.

I've said from the minute that Favre retired that I think the only way he comes back is if the Packers are doing well and then ARod gets a serious injury. He'll come in on his white horse, and either save the day or fail miserably. I doubt ARod or the players care much about Favre at this point.

b bulldog
04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Agree, no pressure???, ask the QB's that have followed Elway about the lack of pressure.

Joemailman
04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
The QB's who followed Elway just weren't very good. I'm sure there was some pressure, but I'm not so sure that's why they failed.

texaspackerbacker
04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Success or failure has a lot to do circumstances, and the circumstances Rodgers falls into are truly golden--the receivers, the running game, the O Line, the defense, the coaching staff, etc.

It was like that for Steve Young; It was like that for ...... well, nobody else I can think of. Conversely, I can't think of any QB who bombed out when he was set up for success.

I don't know, maybe that puts more pressure on Rodgers, not less. Either way, I think the psychological angle is way overrated, and I think Rodgers will do just fine.

Iron Mike
04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm sure Rodgers has the confidence he needs and so on, but there's no way you can say he isn't feeling the pressure. Replacing Brett has to be the most high profile job in the NFL this coming season - he'll be in a virtual fishbowl.

Bah. All he has to do is outperform T-Jack, Grossman and Kitna this year and I'll be happy.

Not that difficult a task, IMHO. :wink:

cpk1994
04-11-2008, 06:28 AM
I said it back in the retire or not days, and I'll say it again now, blame the damn media people asking the stupid questions, not Favre--whose only crime is answering them honestly. If the answer is "maybe" or "I don't know", how can you expect the man to give a clear yes or no? And if he ever said no to an interview, he'd probably be villified by the media for farting them off.

As for Rodgers, I really don't think he gives two hoots about this, maybe doesn't even know about the Favre comments--unless some other media dipshit goes and stirs the pot by bringing it up to him.Farve could have simply said the following: "I am an active member of the Green Bay Packers and will remain so until I tell you otherwise. This is the last time I will address the subject." That stops the media cold. Every time he is asked after that after that, he could then use the Drew Rosenhaus standard, "Next question." It IS Favre's fault, not the media. Bus Cook is a close second, as he can''t keep his mouth shut either.

cpk1994
04-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Agree, no pressure???, ask the QB's that have followed Elway about the lack of pressure.Why don't you ask the QB who followed Joe Montana? I hear he had a great career.

texaspackerbacker
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
The bottom line is what's good for the team i.e. winning games--NOT what is best for either Rodgers or Favre.

Rodgers is going to get his chance. I very much doubt that Rodgers will lose his job during the season due to mediocre performance. He'd have to be really bad for anything like that, and if he was that bad, he'd be replaced regardless of Favre's status. Same thing if he's injured.

All Favre has said is "maybe" in the case of injury--nothing at all with regard to performance.

And if Rodgers was injured for a few weeks, then came back, and if Favre was going good in his absence, I don't know, but I will say this: McCarthy should and would do what is best for the team, never mind who is gonna think or feel what.

KYPack
04-11-2008, 11:11 AM
The bottom line is what's good for the team i.e. winning games--NOT what is best for either Rodgers or Favre.

Rodgers is going to get his chance. I very much doubt that Rodgers will lose his job during the season due to mediocre performance. He'd have to be really bad for anything like that, and if he was that bad, he'd be replaced regardless of Favre's status. Same thing if he's injured.

All Favre has said is "maybe" in the case of injury--nothing at all with regard to performance.

And if Rodgers was injured for a few weeks, then came back, and if Favre was going good in his absence, I don't know, but I will say this: McCarthy should and would do what is best for the team, never mind who is gonna think or feel what.

You have to go thru rough patches with young QB's. Most on here remember the early days of Favre when Brett was a real nightmare and cost us games with crazy play. MH stuck with Brett, MM is gonna have to do the same with his guy.

I hope ARod finds his stride, but there will be tough times. MM's gonna have to coach his way thru the whole thing.

b bulldog
04-11-2008, 11:47 AM
cpk, ask the guys that have followed Elway, Marino, Kelley, Fouts, Young, Aikman, ect, ect ect. Young was a HOF talent, he was definitely in the minority when it comes to backups.

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
cpk, ask the guys that have followed Elway, Marino, Kelley, Fouts, Young, Aikman, ect, ect ect. Young was a HOF talent, he was definitely in the minority when it comes to backups.

That was also before the days of the Salary Cap and the 49ers could afford to have Steve Young, and Bono sit on the bench getting payed what starters were getting around the league. It was also a time before free agency, Young was being paid well and really had no options of going anywhere else. The 49ers knew what they were doing with Young, it was the Walsh philosophy with QB, he was always planning for the future, the west coast offense would take care of itself.

woodbuck27
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Very stupid
Very selfish
Both

Let's look at the article JH:

Favre answers Sun Herald questions about 'un-retiring'

SUN HERALD

Recent media reports have suggested former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre may not be retiring after all.

Since shortly after he made his announcement on March 4, pundits and fans have speculated that perhaps he wasn't done after all. Others have said they'll believe he is retired when the Green Bay starting lineups are announced this fall - and not before.

Amid all this speculation, Favre has remained largely silent, preferring to let others debate the issue of his retirement.

But in a recent interview with Sun Herald sports writer Al Jones, who was working with Favre on a foreward for the Sun Herald's upcoming book,

"The Brett Favre Story,"

the Hancock County native did some speculating himself on whether he'd consider coming out of retirement.

Favre admits he's thought about it and has had moments of reflection since his decision. But, bottom line, he said, is that he's happy with the decision he made.

Here are a few excerpts from Favre's conversation with Jones:

• When asked if he would return to football if the Packers called because of team injuries, Favre said:

"It would be hard to pass up, I guess. But three months from now, say that presents itself, I may say, you know what, I'm so glad I made that decision. I'm feel very comfortable in what I'm doing and my decision.

"Yeah, I can probably be up there doing that and playing, but again, I don't know. It's only speculating. I think the world of that team. I had a lot of fun, not only this year, but over my career. Those guys I played with this past year, a lot of young guys, a lot of fun.

"I think of that, when I think of now being retired, I think I won't be in the quarterback/receiver meeting on Thursdays joking around and having fun and game plan and all that stuff together. It was a fun year. That was fun throwing the ball around like we did. There's no reason to think that won't happen again. Aaron has fallen into a great situation. And if that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed to do it."

• But upon further review, Favre added this:

"But I don't want to do it if I'm not in shape. It would be hard to go up there at 38. It was hard to stay in shape.

I say that, I worked out and I worked out hard. Week in and week out, I was just drained. Finally, for the first time, I felt, not that 38 is old, but I looked around at practice and these guys are bouncing around. And I practiced every day and all the time people would ask me, god, how do you do it? Inside I'm saying, 'I have no idea.' It's a struggle.

"But to think that if they called me in October and told me, 'Hey, we need you this week.' That would be hard. I'm sure mentally, I would be refreshed. I'd be away from it for a long time. But mentally vs. physically, the last thing I'd want to do is go up and it's 'Oh this is great and all that stuff and me be excited and then just flop.

"You just can't show up and play."

• On the issue of filing his retirement papers:

"To be honest with you, never having retired before, I didn't know you had to do that. But Bus (Cook, Favre's agent) and I were talking about it the other day. The Packers had to call. At some point, you have to do it so you don't count toward the (salary) cap.

"So at some point, Bus told me this, too. 'OK you send your papers in today. You send one in tomorrow that says you're unretired. So it's no big deal.' So once you send them in, yeah, it's official, but you could be unofficial the next day. So it's not like, 'Oh, he's over and done with.' You can change your mind the next day.

"As I was flying up to the press conference, I thought, 'Do I really want to do this?' I don't know if I was ever completely convinced one way or the other. That's what I wanted to do at that particular time. I felt like that was the best move for me and the family."

• About the timing of his retirement:

"I could keep saying one more year, one more year, one more year until something happens or they say, 'Brett, we don't want you anymore.' Or you get hurt. Or whatever. And who knows when that time will be. But I just felt it was the right time.

"Come fall, I may think it ain't the right time. But that's the chance I take. Could I possibly see coming back? I think there's a greater chance of me not playing than there would be of me playing again, especially at 38. (Troy) Aikman thought about it. (Dan) Marino thought about it. I'm sure a lot of guys thought about it. Will I think about it? I'm sure.

Especially knowing I can play and the way we played this past year.

"It's tempting. Right now, I feel at peace with my decision. Today is no different that it was last year. I'm just sitting back enjoying my free time."

• And the final word:

"I guess the best response would be, right now no (I'm not coming back).

"I'm happy with my decision. Just taking it one day at a time."

JH:

Really JH, what in this article is stupid or selfish on Brett Favre?

He was asked questions and answered them honestly, clearly and certainly on the measure, says he's happy with his decision (as difficult as it was) to retire and stay retired.

He is asked if he would be tempted to unretire if say Aaron Rodgers got injured. Clearly he said the offer to return if asked would be tempting but realistically being mentally prepared to do so versus reality or physically prepared rules on staying retired.

He played awesome in 2007. There can be no argument against that as a fact. He wasn't Brett Favre Vs the Giants, but a mere shell of the firey competitor we have customarily known. Why?

Brett was burnt out.Exausted. He knew that this season after 16 games and then playoffs the result couldn't be better in his realistic view.

That is far far from Brett Favre being either stupid or selfish, JH.

This is Brett Favre being realistic. Knowing himself. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Jesus Woody, first time I agreed with you in a while.

woodbuck27
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Jeee Deputy Nutz, then your as sensible as I knew you are. :D

Packers Forever!

b bulldog
04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
"We as a team respect Brett Favre and he was a great teammate but we are ready to move forward and it is now Rodgers time", Mark Tauscher.

Noodle
04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Did Tausch really say that? Excellent attitude. A-rod has to be feelin' the o-line love.

Hutson and Bulldog, I'm on board with you.

Why Favre feels the need to share his inner, deepest, most secret self with every two-bit reporter who sticks a mic in his face has always been a mystery to me.

MJZiggy
04-12-2008, 07:03 PM

I know what you're sayin' cause I'm sayin' it too. Nice post Buck!

packinpatland
04-12-2008, 07:10 PM
That was an incredibly good breakdown......well said Buck. :bclap:

b bulldog
04-13-2008, 07:30 AM
My bad, got it from JS

RashanGary
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't think he should have answered unless it was off the record. If he really wants to be honest with someone, be honest off the record. I don't think it's good for Rodgers or the Packers to play this game in the media. It's honest, great. At some point most athletes realize the media is the enemy and just stop talkign to them. That's the right thing to do IMO.

That's why I say stupid or selfish. Stupid if he didn't realize this would get blown up and selfish if he knows but doesn't care.

RashanGary
04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Go back and look at that first game with Favre. I forgot that he had that rocket. I dont' think he threw a pass as hard as the ones to Sharpe and Taylor in over 5 years. I didn't even know a QB could fit that in there on cover 2. No wonder Favre kept tyring to fit that stuff in. I always thought he was just an idiot because he did it over and over and it never worked but he acctually used to be able to do it on a regular basis. Huh, go figure. Everyone always talks about his legendary arm and I keep thinking "what legendary arm. He never makes any wow throws to me" Then I go back to the old days and I'm like "WOW, I've never seen that". His legend is real. It just faded. He became great in other ways though. He became a complete QB under McCarthy.

Merlin
04-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I agree with Woody, this has been blown out of proportion. Rodgers is the starting QB until he either losses the job or gets injured. All media outlets will hang onto every word that Favre says and make it seem like it's something it isn't.

Rodgers only has to look over his shoulder if Ted Thompson brings in a viable veteran or a 1st or 2nd round QB. He doesn't need to worry about Favre taking his job away from him.

woodbuck27
04-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Did Tausch really say that? Excellent attitude. A-rod has to be feelin' the o-line love.

Hutson and Bulldog, I'm on board with you.

Why Favre feels the need to share his inner, deepest, most secret self with every two-bit reporter who sticks a mic in his face has always been a mystery to me.

Maybe he takes that fr. Mom?

I do think some are reading more into Favre and his possible return than is reaistic though. He left the game at the right time for himself and OUR team as clear as I see it. I'm glad for Brett he got out before it gets worse.

I'm happy for ARod he'll get his shot, and I believe if he stays healthy he'll surprize a lot of people.

It's all good if we get help on the OL at guard for run support and RDE to pressure their passing game or we need a new scheme on 'D'.

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't think he should have answered unless it was off the record. If he really wants to be honest with someone, be honest off the record. I don't think it's good for Rodgers or the Packers to play this game in the media. It's honest, great. At some point most athletes realize the media is the enemy and just stop talkign to them. That's the right thing to do IMO.

That's why I say stupid or selfish. Stupid if he didn't realize this would get blown up and selfish if he knows but doesn't care.

JH:

We see things inside our own personality and take on a matter.

I certainly respect what you are saying above to back yourself up. Yes it would be better overall if Brett Favre stood with what he decided and just had said:

'' I'm retired and I will always wish nothing but good things for the Packers.''

That's not Brett Favre. He has always responded to the media as one of the most open, to give his view, sports personality's. So is it good or bad.

It just is. :D

PACKERS FOREVER! :D