PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Fishing Virturall closed on OR and CA coasts

oregonpackfan
04-11-2008, 01:33 PM
In a decision today, officials all but eliminated commercial and sport fishing for salmon along the Oregon and California coasts. The numbers of salmon have depleted so massively the past few years, the moratorium on fishing was established.

This decision will make for economic hardships for many of the coastal communities. It affects not only for the commercial fisherman but the sport fishermen. The coastal communities rely heavily on tourism and sport fishermen represent a significant portion of the tourism industry.

Causes of the depletion include warming of the oceans, dams, poor river management, and diversion of river water to farming. Part of the blame has to be the environmental policies of the Bush administration.

About 4-5 years ago, Secretary of Interior Gale Norton worked out a compromise for the Klamath River water usuage, located in southern Oregon. The agreement provided a balance of water use for both the farmers and the environmentalists who wanted a particular water level for the salmon to survive.

A Repbulican Oregon state senator was upset with the agreement. He called up Vice President Dick Cheney and asked for a favor. Cheney intervened and ordered Norton's decision overturned. Most of the water was diverted to the farmers of the Klamath River Basin.

The immediate result was the death of tens of thousands of salmon whose carcasses lined the Klamath River for miles.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/120789150560550.xml&coll=7

Freak Out
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
This was coming....it was only a matter of time.
The price of salmon will rise..who knows how high? All this will benefit Alaskans....either the money that will go the fishing communities or the money that ends up in the State coffers.

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2008, 01:53 PM
The price of salmon will rise..who knows how high? All this will benefit Alaskans....either the money that will go the fishing communities or the money that ends up in the State coffers.

I would agree with this accept such a small amount of salmon sold in grocery stores are wild, most are farm raised.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
All tyrone cares about is whether the price of his bagel with nova is going up.

Freak Out
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM

I would agree with this accept such a small amount of salmon sold in grocery stores are wild, most are farm raised.

I don't buy Salmon from a store so I'm not sure what the ratio is...I just know if I was buying salmon I would not buy farmed fish. Most of the fish caught in Alaska goes to a fresh market in the USA, overseas or is smoked for retail sale and a huge amount is canned.

LL2
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Last week I met a guy who has a sister that lives in the northern part of Alaska, and he said during certain times of the year salmon fishing can be so plentiful in some rivers (he said the river is actually a stream between ice) that you can literally walk across a bed of salmon.

Is that true?

I do not remember the town he said his sister lived in, but he said the town only had a population of 1,000 and only has a couple weeks a year that gets above 40 degrees. Not sure why anyone would want to live there. I'd move to Ty's cardboard home in the Arizona desert before I moved to a primitive town in Alaska.

Freak Out
04-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Last week I met a guy who has a sister that lives in the northern part of Alaska, and he said during certain times of the year salmon fishing can be so plentiful in some rivers (he said the river is actually a stream between ice) that you can literally walk across a bed of salmon.

Is that true?

I do not remember the town he said his sister lived in, but he said the town only had a population of 1,000 and only has a couple weeks a year that gets above 40 degrees. Not sure why anyone would want to live there. I'd move to Ty's cardboard home in the Arizona desert before I moved to a primitive town in Alaska.

There are many places in Alaska that get big runs of salmon...being able to walk across the river on a raft of fish is just a figure of speech. The stream/river/ditch may fill with fish but your body weight is not going to be supported by them. Someones stretching the truth about a few things.

LL2
04-11-2008, 02:21 PM

Is that true?

There are many places in Alaska that get big runs of salmon...being able to walk across the river on a raft of fish is just a figure of speech. The stream/river/ditch may fill with fish but your body weight is not going to be supported by them. Someones stretching the truth about a few things.

He was probably saying it as a figure of speech. He told some interesting stories about life up there. It sounds fun, but for a city dweller I probably wouldn't survive without a 7-Eleven close by (or other conveniences).