PDA

View Full Version : Chris Havel Chat 5/30/06

motife
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Wes, Kenosha, WI: Hey Chris, how big of a loss is Reggie McKenzie going to be if he goes to Houston? I have an idea of his contributions, but admittedly do not know precisely what he does for the Packers. Will they promote someone from within, or is this the type of position you shop the entire league for? Thanks.

ch: We'll have to see what unfolds with Reggie McKenzie, the Packers' pro personnel director. His role is to stay on top of every player in the NFL, and every player that is recently out of the league. It's a big job. I suspect there are several candidates on the Packers' current personnel staff that would do a fine job should McKenzie move to Houston. John Schneider comes to mind. So does John Dorsey, the college scouting director, although I beleive Dorsey is happy in his current role. It is interesting that GM Ted Thompson made no changes to the personnel staff he inherited. It says a lot about the quality of that staff, because I don't believe it's the norm for a new guy - granted, Thompson already had worked with most of these men - to stay the course. My guess, knowing Thompson, is that he would promote someone in-house if that person was qualified and really had a hankering for the job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike, Mound, Mn: My question is with Rod Gardner. Do you have any idea why he might have sputtered so far as a pro? He had a soilid rookie season and in his second season recieved 1000+yards and 8 TD's. In fact, his first 2 years were clearly superior to Javon Walker's. Clearly the Panthers thought enough of him to trade for him, but obviously things went very badly there, and were going downhill already in Washington for them to trade him away. But he's still a fairly young man who should be in his prime. I guess I'm just hoping he can come close to filling Walker's shoes. Do you know if he's ever returned punts? I'm thinking about the situation in Minnesota last year where Koren Robinson came in as a perrenial underachiever, and then made his mark (pro bowl) as a returner. I see some similarities with Gardner...both low first round picks in 2001, virtually same size and build (Gardner is listed on NFL.com 1 in. taller, 7 lbs. heavier), supposedly both are speedsters, underachieving WRs. Robinson signed a 1-year contract to prove his worth last year as Gardner did this year, and then improved as a WR with confidence from success in the return game. Am I just wishful thinking? Thanks Chris.

ch: Rod Gardner is an interesting prospect. He was the 15th player selected overall, I believe, when he came out of Clemson. He has more than enough speed and ideal size plus a fair amount of toughness in terms of going over the middle or going up to catch the ball. What I've seen so far, though, is a lack of consistency. It is similar to what has been plaguing Robert Ferguson. They make an exceptional play one minute, and they drop the ball the next. Or they make a mental mistake that's not allowable based upon their experience in the league. Gardner has great potential, but as of yet it's still most unrealized. Perhaps it also is untapped. If you recall late last year, Gardner made a sweet move to beat a defender deep, only to have Brett Favre's pass fall between his arms. That pretty much sums up Gardner's NFL career to this point. You love that the guy can get open, and that he's so fast and strong, and then he drops the ball. We'll see how well he does under coach Mike McCarthy's system. Perhaps the Packers' staff can bring out something in Gardner that hasn't surfaced yet. It also shouldn't hurt having Favre throwing to him. I think that was his biggest problem in Washington.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TonyGerlach, Phoenix, AZ: Hi Chris. How unhappy is Al Harris with his current contract status? Do you think he is under-paid? Is there any chance that he will hold out, ala Mike McKenzie?

ch: I am sure that Al Harris would like to be given a new, more lucrative deal. The problem is he signed that deal just two years ago. Harris' situation, in my humble opinion, was grossly overstated in order to make headlines. The story I am refering to - which ran in another state paper - quoted an unnamed source. The Press-Gazette's philosophy in regard to unnamed sources is only if it is required to break a major story where a source can't be revealed, but the news is true and accurate, and the readers need to read it here first. We don't use unnamed sources merely to write a speculative story regarding a player's unhappy contract, or to rip a punter, let's say, because the unnamed source is a scout for an (wink, wink) NFC East team. Or some other baloney. It's too easy to go that route, which is why we don't, and won't. When you read something - a breaking news story - that is written by Pete Dougherty or Rob Demovsky, rest assured there's a whole lot of truth behind it. Sure, it may cost us a sensational headline "Harris Unhappy With Contract" from time to time, but in the long run what does a sensational headline serve? In short, no, I don't believe Harris is going to be the next Mike McKenzie. I'm sure a lot of us in our professions are unhappy with our current pay, or would like a more lucrative deal, but we don't whine about it in the press under an "unnamed source" tag. Harris, if he plays well, will get paid. He knows it, too. And I think his disatisfaction was overstated and irresponsible.

Leon de Commie, Huvelmeyer, Illinois: I am curious about how being an author can interfere with your role as an unbiased writer? Don't you get attached to your subjects when you write about or with them, so that you can't write objectively about them for the paper? Or do you just do a Brett Butler and say "frankly, I don't give a darn."? In any event, why haven't the 1996 team been the subject of more books or an instant replay type of story?

ch: This is a very interesting topic and could be the basis of an entire chat. I think readers have to judge/gauge the objectivity of the writers that they read. If you didn't believe I was objective, I doubt you would care to hear what I have to write. I have co-authored two books with Brett Favre. Does that make me less objective? I don't think so. In fact, I think it has a tendency to make other writers overly critical of Favre out of pure pettiness. If I thought Favre couldn't play any more, I would write that. The fact is I think his skills are still strong enough to play this year, certainly, and perhaps a year beyond that. As far as the 1996 Super Bowl XXXI team, stay tuned. I have a project in the works that I am sure you will enjoy when it is released. Beyond that, I can't say much else about it. Although in the case of the 1996 team, Favre and William Henderson - I believe - are the only players left from that team. So the possibility of favoritism or whatever is really remote.

Sam, Chicago: Chris: Which former Favre backup does Rodgers remind you most of as far as potential? Hassleback, Brunell, Detmer or Aaron Brooks?

ch: Man, that's a tough one. I would have to say that Aaron Rodgers reminds me most of Matt Hasselbeck. He doesn't have Aaron Brooks' big arm. He doesn't have Mark Brunell's mobility (a young Brunell, anyway), and he is better physically than Ty Detmer. Hasselbeck, out of that group, seems the most like Rodgers. Or vice versa, given that Hasselbeck has played in a Super Bowl and Rodgers has yet to start a game.

Lil' Jimmy Schughes, Paya Lake, Wisc.: Who in your opinion is the greatest Packer-Brett, Reggie, Nitchske, Bart, Hutson, or Paul Horning. I would vote for big number 66, who was the heart and soul of the defense, with Brett and Hutson coming in after. What is your view?

ch: My view is that this is a no-win question. However, I will defer to my elders on this one and rely on Packers historian Lee Remmel's front row seat. Remmel voted for Don Hutson. Who am I to argue with one legend about a bunch of other legends.

Johnny M. Matellaski, Mansion, Illinois: Chris, first, I love the chats. They sustain us die-hards in the drought months of May and June. But my question has to do with the lineman, which I used to be many years ago. It seems to be a good tackle, you need a lower center of gravity. Tootie Robbins had it; John Michels did not. Using that as a standard, how do the new draft picks and current line look to you?

ch: Scott Wells, the center, is exactly what you are talking about. Wells is squat, by NFL standards, at 6-foot-1 1/2, but he is bull strong and has a knack for getting underneath and into the defensive tackle. He is a true center, and was miscast as a guard. In the NFC North against taller defensive tackles, I think he will fare well just for the reason you cited. As for the rookies, I think Darren Colledge is going to learn how to play with leverage. He's got the build for it. Spitz is a little short-waisted, but he has more than enough want-to and strength to compensate. Other than that, all I can say is that I haven't seen them in pads yet.

John, Columbia City: Chris, I saw a news source that quoted Al Harris' agent as saying it is too soon to approach the Pack about a contract re-working and that Harris only missed camp for family reasons. Then other sources said he was making a statement about his unhappiness with his contract. Which is it?

ch: Harris knows he needs to perform in training camp and the regular season, and if he does, he'll be rewarded with an extension. Perhaps even before this year is up so the Packers can count some of that money on this year's cap. That much you can believe.

Ben G., Tulsa, OK: What happened with Rhys Lloyd? He supposedly had a big leg in Canada, and could replace Ryan Longwell.

ch: Alas, another victim of the exchange rate, I'm thinking.

Powerball , Texas: Chris- All this talk by McCarthy and Thompson of wanting to draft and aquire "Packer People" sounds good to the fans, but if that is truly the case, what are they going to do with Cory Rogers. This is a low life street thug who after being drafted by an NFL team comes back to Texas and cruises around with a loaded automatic with spare ammunition in his car and then shoots it when he feels it is appropriate. So do gun toting scum bucket street thugs who are so ridiculously stupid and arrogant as to cruise around with a loaded gun shooting it in public "Packer People". I mean how hard is it to expect a player not to be just another criminal. I know it becomes a wasted draft pick, but why in the world we we let a little gang banger on the team. In y opinion he is just another scum sucking parasite who operates as if laws and normal decent behavior do not apply to him. Would you look for Thompson/McCarthy to just pull the plug on this animal and just not even waste time on this crap, or are we going to get the same typical NFL lip service where he had a hard upbringing and he is truly sorry blah blah blah. Why hasn't this moron been cut already if we are truly after "Packer People"?

ch: Wow. That was quite a rant. Care to call in to my radio show tomorrow afternoon? Look, Cory Rodgers made a mistake, and he will have to pay accordingly. I try to look at this as a positive, if you can believe it. This foolishness by Rodgers gives Mike McCarthy the perfect platform to remind his players - especially his young players - about the reality of life in the NFL. That reality is that unsavory characters pretending to be your friend are going to do whatever they can to get their hands on your newly acquired wealth. Rodgers is fortunate he wasn't injured or killed, or worse, that he didn't kill someone else. He will be given another chance. Remember Tyrone Williams? Ron Wolf gave him a second chance and Williams responded by being a pretty good citizen. Also, you might recall that a rambunctious young Southern boy got into a bar brawl shortly after MIke Holmgren elevated him to starting QB status. Granted, no gangs or guns were involved, but a bar brawl is a bar brawl. Rodgers will get another chance, but he's on thin ice. I think this event, in an odd sort of way, actually might be a blessing in disguise. It gives McCarthy a reason to ram home the idea that guns are not OK, and that once you're drafted into the NFL, your life is going to change. And in some cases, has got to change. Otherwise you just won't make the cut. Many are called. Few are chosen. Does Rodgers want to be one of the many and not the few? If so, he should keep going down his current path. I'm curious to see how McCarthy deals with this. I hope he isn't terse or uptight with the media about it. I'm sure he'll be asked about it after tomorrow's OTA, and I'll be all ears.

Staciebelle, Warsaw, IN: Chris, Do you think Thompson erred in letting Longwell go and not franchise him? He was consistant and now who knows what it could cost us?

ch: Rule No. 1: You can't have a player on the roster that doesn't in his heart truly want to be here. I think Longwell's time in Green Bay had run its course, and he wanted to move on. I don't blame him. And I don't blame Thompson. The trick now is for Thompson to find a suitable replacement. On that front, all I can say is "We're waiting" and "Good luck."

mike, Wabash: Chris, I see areas of improvment this offseason and reason to be excited about the new staff, Rodger's progress, The Defense and of course A.J. Hawk. But do you think we have a realistic outside chance at being a playoff contender and what do you think will need to happen for the Pack to challenge the Bears for the top spot?

ch: I think the defense is going to be OK under Bob Sanders. I really do. What has to happen is the running game has to grow legs between now and the season. Right now I'm not sure who is going to be the featured back, which is a concern. I'm also waiting to see how the zone blocking scheme unfolds. The Packers, and Brett Favre, need a running game. With it, they'll be OK at receiver. Without it, they'll be in for a long season. Also, the special teams needs to elevate its play, especially in the coverage and return aspects. For whatever reason, I think the kicking and punting will be good enough. If I had to say one area, above all, needs to come through for the Packers to be in the hunt it has to be the running game.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Thanks for taking this question, Mr. Havel. Do most players usually participate in the OTAs, or do they blow it off because its voluntary? I know that Hawk and Favre have been excused, but what about guys like Woodson, Pickett, and Manuel who are new to the system? Thanks again.

ch: The OTA's (offseason team activities) begin tomorrow. I'm curious to see who shows and who doesn't. Brett Favre and AJ Hawk are expected to attend some of these sessions. Favre, I believe, is scheduled to attend 8 or 9. Hawk, I'm guessing, will be at most or all. In the past, teams held these OTA's but they weren't open to the public and we didn't report on them in anything that resembles detail. This is new for us, too, so I guess you'll have to wait and see. HOpe that helps.

Dave, Chicago: How much does it hurt the rookies who can not attend practices until they are done with college classes? Why does the rule exist? I would think they could do both -they played football during the school year and made the college a bunch of money.

ch: To be honest, the rule makes no sense to me. But I'm sure part of it is that the NFL doesn't want to do too much to upset its wonderful (and virtually free of charge) feeder system.

Jim, Fargo: Hi Chris! Thanks for the chat. I just want to comment that after taking a year of non-stop criticizm it seems to me Thompson has a plan (that the former GM did not have) and his plan seems to be taking shape rather well, don't you think? An exciting young staff, a focus on tough defense with good cover corners and tough SOBs at LB. Also the emphesis on big WRs and a renewed desire to run the football in our cold climate. Yes it may take a little time but Ted did a good job in Seattle and I think he has us back on the right track here. Don't you think those who were bashing him a few months ago jumped the gun a little bit? Thanks.

ch: I would say yes. Here's the deal, though: While I can't condone the fan mentality that criticizes Thompson before he even got a chance to set his program, I do understand it. Fans have a right to write, or say, whatever is on their minds. The frustration with Thompson's apparent lack of activity in free agency was understandable. But the man has shown that he has a plan, and as I have written I don't know how many times, give him a chance. Then, if you don't like it, by all means rip away.

John, Sebring, FL: Thanks for the chat. You made a very good point about the issues of retired players and the contrast of today's high paid "legends in their own mind" players. Sure it is business, and careers can end in a flash, but they should remember how the game has grown on the backs of those before. Fitting parallel on Memorial Day weekend. Stay on this topic and give it more exposure. Thanks for all you do.

ch: It is sad that yesterday's players are put in the position to have to care for their own. Today's young players shouldn't have to be badgered into making the retirement fund/pension up to standards. It seems they forget that the day will come when they are retired players, too.

Jack, Detroit: Chris, What do you like so far about coach McCarthy and A.J. Hawk?

ch: So far, Mike McCarthy's most endearing trait is that he has a plan, he believes in it and he doesn't care whether you believe it or not. He is going to stick to his guns. That doesn't mean his plan is a good one, or will reap a Super Bowl, but it's a right start. I like his organization, and the fact that he had his players focusing on weight training only, and then the mental aspects later on, this off-season. It is logical, at least to me, and I also like the fact that he demands the players treat their weight room sessions as a practice, and that they come in at designated times and work together as a team. The camaraderie is noticeable based upon players' comments. I have no opinion on Hawk, other than I can't wait to see him hit someone once the pads come on. Then I'll give you my thoughts.

Dave, Chicago: How are Franks and Poppinga recovering from their injuries?

ch: Bubba Franks is A-OK. No lingering affects. Brady Poppinga is still on the mend, although he did jog a bit during the last mini-camp practice, so I'm thinking he'll be ready by the time the season opens.

Horst N., Rhode Island: We've read what the coaches want out of this mini-camp, but what do you want out of it, Chris?

ch: Some good column topics. Some enlightened interviews. Some time to get to know the rookies and new players a bit better. That, of course, and some time to golf because dog gone it, this isn't training camp. That will come soon enough.

Tim, Bucktoo!: Chris: Heres a question I have not seen anyone ask this offseason. Will Brett pass Marino this year in TD passes? I believe he needs 24 to tie? What if he gets 22? Will he be more tempted to come back again to break the record no one thought would be broken?

ch: If Favre starts every game, and history suggests he will, he'll get 24-plus touchdown passes. Would he come back if he sat there at 22? I don't think it would be enough of a factor to make the decision for him. I think he'll get the record by season's end.

gene, chicago: Thanks for taking my question, Chris. I see that the new prez, John Jones, is a journalist by training. Good or bad thing?

ch: My initial reaction is that he is overqualified. Actually, I think it's a good thing. When is the ideal of journalism - communication skills, the ability to see both sides of a situation, etc. - a bad thing? He also has worked in the NFL office and in his current position, so he has more than enough experience beyond his journalism background. I know it might seem like the mutt that grows up to be first in show at the Westminster, but Jones is a very sharp man. Time will judge his tenure as Packers president, and I doubt much will be made of his journalism background when all is said and done. Also, Bob Harlan had a journalism background, and he seemed to do OK as the Packers' president.

Richard , Oshkosh, WI: Anything a Packer fan can do to help the hurting Ex Packers?

ch: Yes. Go to www.jerrykramer.com and check out his Web site. I believe there are plans on there for future fundraisers, etc. Happy hunting and thanks for caring.

Eric, Buffalo, NY: Do you cover the away games? Pack play Bills here on Nov 5. If you're in town, I'm buying. We'll be tailgating at a friend's house right across the street from "The Ralph".

ch: I do indeed cover the road games, and I am interested in any party that requires me to do nothing but show up and be fun. Stay in touch.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Chris,Is that true that Mike McCarthy swore at Jason Wilde for that article about Al Harris that Jason Wilde wrote?

ch: I wasn't privy to what I believe McCarthy thought was a private conversation, so all I can say - and this delights me to no end - is, "No comment."

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: How did Noah Herrion do in the past mini camp?

ch: He's got some skills. That's for sure. I'm curious to see him in pads, just like everybody else is. But he's plenty quick enough.

Jeff N., Apex, NC: Hi Chris, Green Bay had quite a draft this spring. It appears that 2 of the rookies will start, Hawk & Colledge. Do you see any of the other players drafted this year being a starter in 2006? Who would you bet will end up being starters for Green Bay in the future years from this draft if any? Best educated guess on your part.

ch: It's so early to speculate, but since you're a regular chatter, here goes: Will Blackmon has really good ball skills, and he's athletic, so his upside is promising. Abdul Hodge might be a steal in this draft. Otherwise, I haven't seen enough of these guys just yet. I hope that helps.

Ginger, Fort Wayne, IN: Chris, I remember reading how Shermans former asistants felt he paid no attention to thier advice and was a one man show. In contrast, I remember reading that Holmgren who surrounded himself with an outstanding staff allowed Gruden and Andy Reid to compete for coming up with the most innovative plays during game week. Was his reluctance to deligate part of Sherman's problem and doesn't it seem McCarthy will be much more willing to let his talented coaches participate in planning and implementing ideas?

ch: McCarthy insists he will let his coaches do their job. The reason we have to wait is that all coaches say that. What matters is what they do, and how they react, when the going gets tough. That is when it's easiest to pull back, and take on more work, rather than relying on your staff. McCarthy hasn't been in that siutation yet. I'm not saying he won't listen to his assistants, and in fact I believe he will, but it's too early to say. I will say this about McCarthy: His head, and his heart, seem to be in the right place. How that plays out remains to be seen, but it's a promising start.

marv, houston: Chris, with the Packers using cut blocks, isn't this going to result in injuries for the defensive lineman when they start practicing in pads?

ch: All I can say is that the defensive linemen better be head's up, and they better keep their feet moving around the pile. I'm sure they'll be careful, as much as they can, during practice. Perhaps it might cause fewer injuries because the D Linemen will be more aware of the cut blocks. Again, I'll have to see it with pads on. Thanks.

Larry, Ashland: Chris, Obviously a lot of things have to come together for the Packers to be successful this season. One thing that has stuck in my mind is McCarthy saying we will "run less plays more often". Do you take that as maybe lining up the best 11 players and let them play (to a certain extent?) I always felt that part of Sherman's problems was the constant shuffling of players which led to poor clock management and the inability to check out of certain plays because "we had the wrong personnel package in". Your thoughts.

ch: I tend to agree with you, and with the old adage, KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

HI again, Well, I've gotta run. Time to stretch in preparation for tomorrow's big OTA session. I'll be in touch. Thanks for all the great questions, and if I didn't get to yours, well, it's a long off-season. Take care, Havel

b bulldog
05-31-2006, 07:15 PM
I agree on Don Hutson being the all time greatest Packer.

red
05-31-2006, 09:29 PM

you really can't argue with Lee, he's pretty much seen it all

man talk about jumping the gun and forming your entire thought on a bunch of untrue BS, how dumb can a person make themselves look in one paragraph?

Powerball , Texas: Chris- All this talk by McCarthy and Thompson of wanting to draft and aquire "Packer People" sounds good to the fans, but if that is truly the case, what are they going to do with Cory Rogers. This is a low life street thug who after being drafted by an NFL team comes back to Texas and cruises around with a loaded automatic with spare ammunition in his car and then shoots it when he feels it is appropriate. So do gun toting scum bucket street thugs who are so ridiculously stupid and arrogant as to cruise around with a loaded gun shooting it in public "Packer People". I mean how hard is it to expect a player not to be just another criminal. I know it becomes a wasted draft pick, but why in the world we we let a little gang banger on the team. In y opinion he is just another scum sucking parasite who operates as if laws and normal decent behavior do not apply to him. Would you look for Thompson/McCarthy to just pull the plug on this animal and just not even waste time on this crap, or are we going to get the same typical NFL lip service where he had a hard upbringing and he is truly sorry blah blah blah. Why hasn't this moron been cut already if we are truly after "Packer People"?

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM

Hard to argue with the Babe Ruth of wide receivers.

b bulldog
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Great post Harv.

BF4MVP
05-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for posting this Mot..

Us Non-PackersNewsPremiumMembers always appreciate it :D

swede
05-31-2006, 11:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Havel is kind of enjoying seeing Wilde having a little trouble with his Harris contract non-story and the subsequent run-in with MM :smile: .

Fritz
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM
You might be right, Swede. He took a couple of swings there, no doubt. But they appear to be deserved in terms of the use of "unnamed sources."

I kind of like Havel. He's straight up without being grumpy old bastard like Uncle Cliffy, and he provides - to me at least - some real insight. I'm pleased, for example, that he finds MM to be organized and committed to a plan - and that he's not worried about whether you agree with that plan.