PDA

View Full Version : Packers scouting NE WR Maurice Purify

motife
04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah, I know. BFD. but, it's something while we're waiting for the 30th pick in the draft, which is going to be just as boring a wait.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=115

Q: The Hula Bowl is the first chance for NFL teams to interview privately with players, what teams did you interview with and who showed the most interest in you?

Maurice Purify: The Green Bay Packers, I talked to one of their scouts almost everyday. First it was just about football and running routes and stuff. But as the week went on we talked about life and my goals and just little stuff like that. So the Packers definitely showed the most interest in me, I think we really hit it off.
Q: Who is the best player you ever played against?

Maurice Purify: Either Aqib Talib from Kansas or Justin McKinney from Kansas State.

Q: Where will you be for the Draft?

Maurice Purify: At home in California, probably working out and trying to get away, my family is going to be so nervous and I will probably just be running on the treadmill or something. I just don’t want to have to worry or stress about it at all.

Q: Do you look at teams and see where you might be the best fit?

Maurice Purify: Yeah I think the Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs and the Dallas Cowboys would all be great fits. I know Terrell Owens only has like three more years left, so I would love to go there and pick his brain and get better. Then when he is done, I can just slide right into his position.

Q: What current NFL receiver would you compare yourself most to?

Maurice Purify: Terrell Owens, but without the attitude, we are both about the same size and play tough, especially over the middle.

motife
04-12-2008, 05:57 PM
p.s. according to PFW he sounds like a Greg Jennings, James Jones clone. An offensive MVP at a juco college, not great 40 times, but neither do Greg or James. He averages over 18 yards per reception both at the City College of San Francisco and Nebraska, '04/05 92 rec, 30TD's, 19.2 yd/rec.

At Nebraska in 05, 34 rec 7 TD's, 18.5 yards, started 5 of 14 games.

Had multiple arrests in 07, assault, failure to comply, and later a DUI and was suspended from the team. Started 4 of 11, with 57 rec, 9 TD's, 14.2 y/rec. Had 3 TD's each vs. Kansas and Colorado.

He's 6-3-`/8, 224 lbs., 4.62. Attacks the ball in the air and wins battles in a crowd. Great with one handed grabs in the red zone.

Doesn't get open real well, little burst after the catch, goes down too easy. "Braces" to get hit.

red
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
jennings ran a great 40 (4.41 at the combine)

but this guy sounds intriguing. he's bigger then jones and jennings

but he seems to have a list of off field problems which is scary

arrested 3 times in two years

http://www.draftace.com/profiles/2008/maurice_purify.htm

Joemailman
04-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Sporting News has him going in the 6th round. His talent would merit a higher pick, but the off field issues will drive his stock down, in their opinion.

red
04-12-2008, 06:11 PM
he has some highlight clips on youtube

guys got talent

Lurker64
04-12-2008, 06:19 PM
jennings ran a great 40 (4.41 at the combine)

but this guy sounds intriguing. he's bigger then jones and jennings

but he seems to have a list of off field problems which is scary

arrested 3 times in two years

http://www.draftace.com/profiles/2008/maurice_purify.htm

I'm guessing his off the field issues are the reason we're scouting him so deeply (and obviously). The Thompson draft rubric is basically "Good Football Player?/Good Person?", so I imagine they know how good of a player he is but are unsure of how good of a person he is, that will determine where he gets drafted (if it's by us).

packers11
04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
He seems a bit slow, but he does have really good hands...

motife
04-12-2008, 06:31 PM
this week, someone listed the WR's who ran 4.6 40's. It was pretty impressive. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, and I could be wrong but I thought Terrell Owens and Michael Irvin were mentioned. It was in conjunction with that WR who ran a 4.7 and blamed Bobby Stoops and the Sooners coaching staff for why he was so slow.

red
04-12-2008, 07:19 PM
this week, someone listed the WR's who ran 4.6 40's. It was pretty impressive. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, and I could be wrong but I thought Terrell Owens and Michael Irvin were mentioned. It was in conjunction with that WR who ran a 4.7 and blamed Bobby Stoops and the Sooners coaching staff for why he was so slow.

malcom kelly. what an ass

he ran the 4.7 on the same surface that they ran on at the combine.

slow is slow. 4.7 is slow. you better be damn good everywhere else if you run that slow.

the worse part is he blamed just about everyone but the guy who ran the slow time

texaspackerbacker
04-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Call me a skeptic or a Let's-Hang-On-To-What-We-Got kind of guy, but how is this guy noticeably better than Ruvell Martin?

oregonpackfan
04-12-2008, 09:58 PM
He says he wants to "Pick T.O.'s brain. What does he plan on doing after his 5 minute experience with T.O. is over? :)

Joemailman
04-12-2008, 10:03 PM
He's been arrested three times, and then says he's like T.O., except without the attitude. Great. I guess he thinks it's better to be the Pacman Jones of wide receivers.

red
04-12-2008, 10:04 PM
He says he wants to "Pick T.O.'s brain. What does he plan on doing after his 5 minute experience with T.O. is over? :)

you think it would take 5 minutes?

rookie-"TO, what do i do"?

TO-"demand more money".

rookie -thanks

thats like 5 SECONDS

woodbuck27
04-13-2008, 06:51 PM
" Purify has the skills, but far too many red flags. He's been arrested on three separate occasions in just two years with Cornhuskers. Someone will take a chance on him as a free agent, but he's a long shot to get drafted. "

I wonder what Harvey will say on this fella? :)

Personally, I see a high risk here.

He won't be a Packer draft pick. Possibly he may be a potential FA Rookie signing but we already have a tall WR with room to grow.

I havn't given up on Ruvell Martin.

Packers Forever!

Lurker64
04-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I havn't given up on Ruvell Martin.

I haven't either. In fact, right now I'd put him 4th on our WR depth chart, ahead of Koren Robinson. Teams do keep 6 WRs sometimes, so if we draft a guy, he would in principle be competing with Bodiford for a roster spot. The coaches seem to really like Bodiford (they keep bringing him back), so that might be a tough prospect.

Fritz
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Maurice Purify: The Green Bay Packers, I talked to one of their scouts almost everyday. First it was just about football and running routes and stuff. But as the week went on we talked about life and my goals and just little stuff like that. So the Packers definitely showed the most interest in me, I think we really hit it off.

Don't you all see what was really going on? Ted was trying to pick him up. Talking about drafting him was just T's opening gambit.

Don't worry. T's just trying for some offseason fun.