PDA

View Full Version : Dog Owner picks up wrong dog from kennel

oregonpackfan
04-12-2008, 09:48 PM
A guy here in Oregon housed his black Lab in a kennel while he went on vacation. He returned and picked up what he thought was his dog. When he arrived at home, he noticed the behavior of the dog was not the same. Finally, he realized the dog he had was not his.

At the time his dog was being housed at the kennel, there were 7 other black Labs there at the same time!

He returned the dog to the kennel. The next day the kennel owner stated she had found the correct dog.

He came back and was warmly greeted by what he thought was his dog. When he got home, he realized it was the SAME mistaken dog he had picked up the first time! :shock:

He has now retained an attorney to seek legal action.

Who do you think is more at fault, the dog owner, the kennel owner, or do they both share responsibility for the mistake?

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/120797251757670.xml&coll=7

MJZiggy
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
While the dog owner may be a complete dork for not being able to recognize his own dog, it's the kennel's responsibility to keep the dogs safe and accounted for no matter how many similar dogs there are.

the_idle_threat
04-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Sounds to me like the other dog owner---who surely knows she received a different dog---has decided it is an upgrade and wants to keep it.

I can't imagine the kennel owner has any legal liability. Neither owner could I.D. their own dog. This guy took home the wrong dog twice. The other owner is being uncooperative. Did neither dog have a license or even a distinguishing collar?

As I see it, everybody contributed to this screw-up. And I'd point the finger at the dog owners much more so than the kennel. Now it's really a dispute between the dog owners.

If there's any role for a lawyer here, perhaps it's to compel the other owner---by threat of civil suit if necessary---to let the vet examine "her" dog to see if there is evidence she got the wrong one.

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Sounds to me like the other dog owner---who surely knows she received a different dog---has decided it is an upgrade and wants to keep it.

i think so. every man is entitled to have a trophy pet once in his life.

apologies to all you dog lovers out there, but you're beloved pooch could warm-up to a new master damn quick & easy. they are little sluts.

the_idle_threat
04-13-2008, 12:13 AM
apologies to all you dog lovers out there, but you're beloved pooch could warm-up to a new master damn quick & easy. they are little sluts.

This is true.

And incidentally, funny how we both have dogs as avatars. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2008, 12:45 AM
takes one to know one

GrnBay007
04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
takes one to know one

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Iron Mike
04-13-2008, 10:45 AM

i think so. every man is entitled to have a trophy pet once in his life.

I'd hardly consider a black lab a "trophy pet."

You could basically go to any animal shelter in the U.S. and get yourself a black lab for about $50.

Not to say they aren't great dogs, and good family pets--but IMHO, the supply way outdoes the demand.

MJZiggy
04-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Big black dogs (http://wtop.com/?nid=104&sid=1383895)

Freak Out
04-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Humans are stupid.

MadtownPacker
04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
If you are charging someone to keep track of their animal then you keep track of their animal. THat is whats in the deal.

Kennel fucked up. This will be open and shut.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Did he beat it with a baseball bat?

MJZiggy
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
No, he lost it. Simple breach of contract. He was getting paid to take care of the dog and return it to the owner on his return. If they let your dog run off into traffic, they are liable as well. This is no different.

GBRulz
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM

You could basically go to any animal shelter in the U.S. and get yourself a black lab for about $50.

Not to say they aren't great dogs, and good family pets--but IMHO, the supply way outdoes the demand.

pure bred labs for $50? Negative, Ghostrider. I paid $400 for mine and she wasn't even part of a hunting family. Those labs get into the thousands of dollars. A lab mix is a totally different story.

Besides, what difference does it make what kind of breed it was? I can't believe the owner didn't know the difference AND that the kennel didn't even put an ID tag or collar on the dog. Both parties are idiots.

Iron Mike
04-13-2008, 10:59 PM

pure bred labs for $50? Negative, Ghostrider. I paid $400 for mine and she wasn't even part of a hunting family. Those labs get into the thousands of dollars. A lab mix is a totally different story.

Besides, what difference does it make what kind of breed it was? I can't believe the owner didn't know the difference AND that the kennel didn't even put an ID tag or collar on the dog. Both parties are idiots.

I guess I was wrong about the price, but I count a good 10 black labs at the humane society:

http://www.bayareahumanesociety.com/searchall.html

the_idle_threat
04-13-2008, 11:40 PM
If you are charging someone to keep track of their animal then you keep track of their animal. THat is whats in the deal.

Kennel fucked up. This will be open and shut.

No, he lost it. Simple breach of contract. He was getting paid to take care of the dog and return it to the owner on his return. If they let your dog run off into traffic, they are liable as well. This is no different.

Guy doesn't recognize his own dog. Brought home the wrong dog not once but twice. Obviously didn't have a tag or collar on the dog. Open and shut is right---this one would get laughed right out of court.

In any case, what he wants is to get this other dog back. Suing the kennel won't accomplish that. If he's gonna sue somebody, he needs to go after the woman who actually has his dog, seeking a judgement in equity that requires her to return his dog. Her refusal to cooperate---given the circumstances---is what's preventing this problem from being resolved.

Patler
04-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I think the dogs are at fault.

the_idle_threat
04-13-2008, 11:54 PM
That's right---sue the dogs! Why didn't I think of it? :lol:

GBRulz
04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.bayareahumanesociety.com/searchall.html

Wow, I guess I never knew how high their adoption prices are. Especially when compared to other humane societies. I know they include spay/neuter but that's still pretty pricey considering this is an animal shelter. and $80 for a rabbit?? good lord.

ADOPTION FEES

Puppies & Dogs
$175 - $220 depending on breed and age

Kittens & Cats
$125 - $180 depending on breed and age

Rabbits
$ 80.00
NEW! Fee includes spay or neuter.

Parrots
$65.00

Cockatiels
$20.00

Chinchillas
$35.00

GBRulz
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
This story somewhat reminds me of what happened when I bought my yellow lab puppy. I drove to Neenah where the breeder was and picked out a puppy, she was one of the two yellow labs in the litter. The next day I get a call from the breeder saying that she forgot to tag the dog I picked as it was already sold and that I would have to return her. I was pissed, but I also thought that if someone else already claimed her, it was the right thing to do, regardless of the breeders F Up.

So, I get there and she said that I could have the other yellow female and I said no. Then the breeder felt horrible and she could already tell how attached I was to this little puppy. She gave me money for gas for having to drive down there again and said that she will tell the other buyer that she messed up.

Limbo did not live as long as most dogs do. She was barely 6 years old. She was diagnosed with Addison's Disease at age 3, requiring daily medication for the rest of her life. I would like to think that this dog was meant for me and who knows if anyone else would have given her this daily medication and treatments as I did. As of November 2007, she is now in doggy heaven.

Gosh, I'm feeling a little sappy today, aren't I ? I guess the point is that the owner/breeder admitted the mistake in my situation, although a little different from the story here. Still, it's ok to say you messed up.

Harlan Huckleby
04-14-2008, 09:23 AM
nobody should EVER pay to adopt a pet. Use a little initiative instead. Go to a public park in a small village or township in the next county. People in rural areas often let their pets run free, and those pooches are some of the best behaved anywhere. You bring a little raw hamburger, and before you know it you got a new friend. Spend a little time bonding with the animal. Any dog that won't hop into the back seat of your car for more burgers is too cold to bother with.

Animals are part of nature, you are entitled to enjoy the natural gifts that God gave to all of us.