PDA

View Full Version : Green Brett, Favresconsin

red
04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
i found this at PFT

Could Green Bay rename the entire town after Brett Favre? (We propose “Green Brett, Favresconsin.”)

heres the article its refering too

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080413/GPG07/804130692/1273/GPGsports

i was thinking something a long the same lines earlier this monring

anyone for the mighty green bay favres?

KYPack
04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
GBM. er somebody.

Isn't there a Brett Favre Pass? The street his joint on, or something?

MJZiggy
04-13-2008, 01:54 PM
There is, but it's only about a block long and hooks up with Holmgren Way. I think the idea suggested is to rename a bigger major road, like Military or something downtown.

GBRulz
04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
The mayor is trying to score points with some residents and take the focus off him on other matters going on. The problem is, the area businesses are the ones getting sick and tired of streets being renamed as it costs them thousands of dollars whenever a change like this is made.

Am I saying he won't get a street named after him? Absolutely not, I know he will.

Zig, where did you hear that they are going to rename Military Ave or somewhere downtown? The streets with Packer names are in Ashwaubenon, not the city of GB.

MJZiggy
04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
I was just randomly guessing at possibilities. Nothing concrete.

GBRulz
04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Kind of a humurous read in regards to this street naming topic....

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10777679

After Brett Favre retired last month from the Packers, the city of Green Bay announced plans to name a street after the great quarterback. Problem is, city officials still can't decide which street.

And now Favre can't decide whether to stay retired.

Aaron Rodgers is ready to step out from Brett Favre's shadow. (Getty Images)
The whole thing is ridiculous, but it can be salvaged with some outside-the-box thinking. Green Bay officials and Favre are clearly too confused to do it themselves, but they're in luck. I've come up with some ideas that should help both parties.

Pick out a street that allows a U-turn ...

Drivers will experience what it feels like to be like Brett. Go this way. Turn around and go back. Repeat. It ought to be great for business on that street, with cars going back and forth all day.

We've already been here with Favre, remember. We were here last year, too. He announced after the 2006 season that he would decide shortly whether to retire or return in 2007. Shortly dragged on and on, getting in the way of the Packers' offseason plans. Finally Favre decided to return, but only after milking the process for every headline he could get.

It's sad, but it's predictable. He did it again after the 2007 season, saying a decision would come within days, and he was right on the money if by "days" he meant 46 of them. The Packers' season ended Jan. 20 in the NFC title game. He announced his retirement March 6. That means the entire month of February came and went without a decision from Favre -- and this was a leap year.

Favre's so predictable that on the day he retired, our very own Mike Freeman wrote a story based on his inevitable return to action. And Freeman's a knucklehead.

So are members of the Green Bay city council. So here's another idea for Brett Favre Boulevard.

Pick a one-way street ...

Because that's the way it is with Favre: a one-way street. It's his way or ... his way. Nobody else matters. Not the Packers' quarterback of the present future, Aaron Rodgers, who has been trying to gear up for his first year as the starter but now must prepare to gear down if Favre returns. Not the Packers' coaching staff, which must tailor one offense around Rodgers while being ready to tailor another around Favre. Not the Packers' front office, which had to rush through free agency after Favre's late decision to retire and now will enter the draft with Favre back on the fence.

This is a one-way street, all the way. The team isn't asking him to come back. Near as I can tell, he isn't asking the team, either. He's going to tell them, one way or the other. Because he's Brett Favre, dammit. And Brett Favre doesn't ask questions. He gives answers.

Which brings me back to the road, and my answer to the city council's conundrum
An interstate on-ramp, something with a quick merge ...

Because Favre is coming. Or he's not. Either way, it's not going to be up to Favre to merge with the Packers. It will be up to the Packers to merge with Favre -- because if he's coming, he's coming. Ready or not.

This is why I don't think Favre is very smart. I never have, and this solidifies it. He must think that building a football team is as simple as looking onto the practice field in July and seeing who shows up. Never mind that the team has to build its offensive personnel, not to mention its entire payroll, around a roster that will, or won't, have a future Hall of Fame quarterback.

Draft day is coming fast, and now the Packers face a dilemma: Do they draft a certain kind of player -- say a lineman or a receiver -- around the possibility that Favre will be back? Or do they draft around the different skill set of Rodgers?

Favre's timing sucks. It always has. But his cluelessness has given me an idea on where to put that road in Green Bay.

Pick a street near a hospital ...

Because Favre doesn't care who gets hurt by his indecision. The Packers' prospects in 2008 are not his concern. But if it's good for Brett? Then it's all good -- even if that means an injury to Rodgers. I know that's a harsh way for me to look at this, but here's what I know:

1. Favre isn't convinced he should stay retired.

2. He says the ideal scenario for a return would be if Rodgers were to get injured. In that event, Favre told his publicist friend at the Gulfport, Miss., Sun Herald: "It would be hard to pass up ... If that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed to do it."

If I'm Aaron Rodgers, the whole thing pisses me off. But I'm not. I'm just a guy trying to decipher the dilemma at hand: What to do with Brett Favre Boulevard.

Make it a traffic circle ...

Because this thing goes round and round. It never ends.

Jimx29
04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Favre Bay sounds more serene than a street 8-)

texaspackerbacker
04-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Rename the city, and you have to rename the bay too, right? I think that goes back to Jean Nicolet or some other French explorer. If I'm not mistaken, some bureau of the Interior Department has jurisdiction over that kind of name changes, and they really don't like to do it--kind of like when they wanted to change Cape Canaveral to Cape Kennedy.

Sounds like a runaway case of Favrevignugon to me.

Guiness
04-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Humourous? I didn't think so - more like a thinly veiled (was it veiled at all?) shot at him - right from where it said he didn't announce his return for '07 until he'd milked every headline.

the_idle_threat
04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
^^^ I agree. The writer comes across as a total prick. My 2 cents.