PDA

View Full Version : DO THE PACKERS DRAFT QB @ #5 ?

woodbuck27
04-03-2006, 12:16 PM
04/01

Are Packers taking a QB with first pick?

BY GERY WOELFEL

The Packers wouldn't pick a quarterback with the fifth overall selection in the upcoming NFL draft, would they?

Well, despite the fact that Brett Favre could still come back for another season and despite the fact the Packers invested a first-round pick in Aaron Rodgers last year, there is growing sentiment among some NFL officials and observers that Green Bay could wind up taking one of the Big Three QBs available in this year's draft: Matt Leinart of Southern Cal, Vince Young of Texas and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt.

The scuttlebutt is both Packers GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy passed on attending the individual workout of North Carolina defensive end Mario Williams, whom some have compared favorably to the late, great Reggie White and whom some draft gurus have predicted will be the Packers' first pick.

Instead of checking out Williams up close and personal, Thompson and McCarthy flew to Texas to watch Young's workout. Young, I'm told, has definitely piqued the interest of Thompson. I've also been told there are some Packers scouts who are equally enamored with Cutler, who wowed NFL personnel at the recent combine in Indianapolis.

Barring a trade, one of the Big Three WILL be on the board when the Packers make their selection. The temptation of picking one of them might be too hard to resist.

Comment by woodbuck27:

With recent developments regarding Brett Favre, saying that at most he plays one more Season. I am of the opinion that certainly Ted Thompson and M3 will be giving very serious consideration to taking a QB at #5.

Look at all the one year signings. This will be nothing more than an assessment year in Green Bay. Ted Thompson knows that Brett Favre is gone ,or at most will play only this Season. He in effect has but one QB in ARod. He would be most advised and prudent to draft a QB on April 29 as I see it.

My take on Brett Favre.

Brett Favre looks in awesome condition mentally as well as physically and his attitude looks well into complete repair, after for him, a shock in 2005. It hasn't come out fully, but does anyone really believe that things are just peachy between him and Ted Thompson? M3 is taking the role of damage control artist as I see it . How Favre can return to us with what Ted Thompson will present to him, after the draft and through the end of TC, is way beyond my ability to comprehend.

Ted Thompson has complete control and for people to speculate that Brett Favre wants control of anything - is malarchy. Brett Favre is an intelligent man. His disappointment as to how his career in Green Bay is ending has to be dreadfully painful. If he returns its not for the money and certainly not for any real hope of records. Instead he may feel some measure of loyality to the Packer Organization but moreso to his fan following?

I will be patient but I'm certainly prepared to never see him again wearing OUR jersey. I will not be at all surprized to see him play again in the NFL. He has unfinished business.

If I was Ted Thompson I would be giving very serious consideration to drafting a QB at #5 and not ever believing that Brett will 'in fact' come back. Is it in OUR best interests to see Favre declare before the draft? I don't see how it matters.

I don't believe that things are at all rosy between Favre and Thompson. Two very different people and who is more competitive and wants to win more than Brett Favre. That doesn't at all jive with Ted Thompsons idea of where the Team will go in 2006, as I see it.

I can't believe as a Packer Fan I am enduring this drama but what must it be like for Brett Favre? I know .The Packers come first. Yea right !

I believe there is always with proper resolve, a win-win situation beneath the fabric of the problem. I don't see this as an approach or option as it's playing out to date. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.If there is hope I see it coming from Mike McCarthy not Ted Thompson.

I do think that Mike McCarthy has with his words, at least offered something to Favre. Ted Thompson has been inconsistent "in his Favre can take all the time he needs" statements. Is this due to lack of experience or the stress? From one published article to the next he's being painted as not anyone to trust, at least not yet. I just think he's terribly raw and somewhat challenged in the personality dept. He certainly doesn't have Favre's gift to talk.

We as yet havn't seen an all out war between these two people and it's not a war that Favre would win , if he blasted Ted Thompson. Thompson is the star now not Brett Favre. What in "H" does this say about OUR team ?

After Brett Favre it's Ted Thompson! It's Ted Thompson.

That is a sad state of affairs.

gureski
04-03-2006, 12:21 PM
My own thoughts on this issue are very simple..

If Leinart is there, you take him. He's the best QB prospect to come out since P.Manning. He's special. Forget taking the others. You have just as much chance of success with Rodgers as you'd have with Young or Cutler. Take your chances with the guy you already have. Leinart is special though. It would be hard to pass him up. He's not a project and he's going to be an all-pro. The others are projects.

MadtownPacker
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
You guy still dont get it. TT and Favre are playing everyone. Just wait until the April 15th "deadline" for Favre to decide gets moved past the draft. Everyone will be in a roar, calling Favre every name they can. Then when TT bluffs Al Davis and gets extra picks plus Hawk you will all say "how did that Messican know?".

woodbuck27
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM

If Leinart is there, you take him. He's the best QB prospect to come out since P.Manning. He's special. Forget taking the others. You have just as much chance of success with Rodgers as you'd have with Young or Cutler. Take your chances with the guy you already have. Leinart is special though. It would be hard to pass him up. He's not a project and he's going to be an all-pro. The others are projects.

OK so from your post we don't go QB at #5 because Tennessee will take Matt Leinart.

So continuing with that thought , and for arguments sake, lets assume that Reggie Bush and Mario Williams are gone as well when the Packers are on the clock. Now they will have a choice of one of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, VernonDavis, AJ Hawk and Michael Huff.

Who does Ted Thompson take ?

gureski
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
I understand the bargaining chip. It doesn't change the fact that you have to really really consider taking Leinart if he's there regardless everything else. He's a special talent. A true franchise QB. Maybe in the end a deal comes along that makes you trade the pick but you definitely pause and stare at Leinart if he's there and only pass him by if someone of equal or better potential is there (or if you get a nice deal).

If there was no trade and Leinart was there at #5...would you take him or would you pass?

gureski
04-03-2006, 12:40 PM

OK so from your post we don't go QB at #5 because Tennessee will take Matt Leinart.

So continuing with that thought , and for arguments sake, lets assume that Reggie Bush and Mario Williams are gone as well when the Packers are on the clock. Now they will have a choice of one of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, VernonDavis, AJ Hawk and Michael Huff.

In that scenerio...you jump on Hawk. He becomes the center-piece of your defense for the next 10 years. You definitely listen to trade offers but if you have to pick at #5 then you take Hawk out of the names you mentioned.

woodbuck27
04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
You guy still dont get it. TT and Favre are playing everyone. Just wait until the April 15th "deadline" for Favre to decide gets moved past the draft. Everyone will be in a roar, calling Favre every name they can. Then when TT bluffs Al Davis and gets extra picks plus Hawk you will all say "how did that Messican know?".

Hi MtP : First nice job so far with this Forum. Congratulations and bon chance.

Do you really think that , I don't .

It doesn't really matter if they are playing games or not as it works anyway. Whether or not Favre declares before the draft means diddly as I see it . Ted Thompson will have his priorities in place on April 29 despite what Brett Favre is doing .

Clearly ! TT is running the show.

MadtownPacker
04-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi MtP : First nice job so far with this Forum. Congratulations and bon chance.

Do you really think that , I don't .

It doesn't really matter if they are playing games or not as it works anyway. Whether or not Favre declares before the draft means diddly as I see it . Ted Thompson will have his priorities in place on April 29 despite what Brett Favre is doing .

Clearly ! TT is running the show.

Thank you Woody. Thats a great avatar and represents you well.

Yeah I do think that but it might just be all the times I got bashed in the head talking.

I agree Tt is running the show and that is the best thing that could have happened to this team after Sherman was the GM/coach. M3 will be better prepared because of it.

woodbuck27
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM

In that scenerio...you jump on Hawk. He becomes the center-piece of your defense for the next 10 years. You definitely listen to trade offers but if you have to pick at #5 then you take Hawk out of the names you mentioned.

OK so you are thinking that we re-tool "D" as the priority now and beginning in 2007 we concentrate more on the "O".

I see after a QB, a choice between AJ Hawk and Vernon Davis, who I consider special enough to draw serious consideration. Assessments of his status and NFL impact potential are extremely impressive.

Favre is certainly gone after 2006 and we assess the likes of Green , Davenport this Season and maybe Ferguson and Henderson have ended their rides. Really, when you put another year on Donald Driver we are going to be very thin on Offence not considering what TT gets this April. The Bubba Franks watch will be on as well.

Stock the Defensive cupboard for now as that is the stronger of both sides of the ball ?

woodbuck27
04-03-2006, 01:08 PM
" Thank you Woody. Thats a great avatar and represents you well. " MtP

Yea but the eyes on that moose are not fixed on any posters in this forum. LOL

I'm not one to carry on a grudge. It's not even like any two of us have to shop for beer at the same store.

Pack0514
04-03-2006, 01:39 PM
My take on what will happen......

Favre and TT already know Favre will come back. They are playing a game as a bargaining chip.

Favre will not "decide" (in the public media) before the draft.

TT will come out with a statement before the draft stating that "The packers are moving on with the season and the draft as if Brett Favre will not be their QB next year. If Brett comes back, it is a bonus but at this point we are planning our team with out him"

By doing this, it implies that the Packers will have no problem picking a QB at #5 and therefore making the #5 pick worth more to a QB-needy team. TT will move down if he gets a good offer otherwise he will pick whomever he wants and then makes the statement.....

"(fill in name here) was the best player available at time according to our draft board which is why we took him. Position had nothing to do with this pick"

This will be his statement no matter who they pick. TT will also say, "(fill in name here) is who we wanted all along with our pick. He is an excellent player who will make our team better."

gureski
04-03-2006, 01:43 PM

OK so you are thinking that we re-tool "D" as the priority now and beginning in 2007 we concentrate more on the "O".

I see after a QB, a choice between AJ Hawk and Vernon Davis, who I consider special enough to draw serious consideration. Assessments of his status and NFL impact potential are extremely impressive.

Favre is certainly gone after 2006 and we assess the likes of Green , Davenport this Season and maybe Ferguson and Henderson have ended their rides. Really, when you put another year on Donald Driver we are going to be very thin on Offence not considering what TT gets this April. The Bubba Franks watch will be on as well.

Stock the Defensive cupboard for now as that is the stronger of both sides of the ball ?

The real reason you go defense in this draft is that Favre himself makes every position on offense better just by him being on the field. You make the big push to retool your defense this year and then work on your offense next year. You take what the draft gives you in that you don't pass up on a good offensive player if that's the best thing available in the mid to late rounds but you take defensive players early and use that #5 pick on a defensive player knowing that Favre can help carry the offense for another year.

Look back at what Favre did last year with walk-on's and street free agents and then think about what he can do with healthy NFL-calibur players on offense like Franks and Driver and Green and Davenport....then combine that with a really good defense and you have the makings of a contender.

woodbuck27
04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
"Look back at what Favre did last year with walk-on's and street free agents and then think about what he can do with healthy NFL-calibur players on offense like Franks and Driver and Green and Davenport....then combine that with a really good defense and you have the makings of a contender." Guerski

I agree with that. Favre had little but we came within 5 points on six of OUR 12 loss's. Our schedule is arguably easier this coming Season.We win four of those games back and 8-8 makes Ted Thompson look like a Genious.

Ted Thompson without Brett Favre will hurt OUR record, but Ted will say - "well I counted on Brett ". "Well we have a new coaching staff" or even "well we counted on Javon Walker". He has any number of scapegoats.

He comes out the winner there as well, as we get another, or possibly a higher draft pick. In all reality , the last thing he wants now is for Brett Favre to return.